Start by marking “Legacy: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Personal History” as Want to Read:
Legacy: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Personal History

Legacy: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Personal History

When Linda Spence asked her aging mother to write her life story, her mother stared at a blank sheet of paper and asked—“How? Where do I begin?” In this practical guide to capturing those memories that have been stored away, Linda Spence provides the questions that are the keys to unlocking the memories that make up a life.

Beyond the vital statistics are the personal stori
Published November 1st 1997 by Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legacy

Start your review of Legacy: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Personal History
Lisa
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Purchased with the best of intentions - to capture family folklore. Timing was off and it's one of my biggest regrets. Don't put this off thinking there is always another day. Do it when you have the chance & update as you need. ...more
Betsey
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A great book to help you write your personal history because everyone's story is worth telling and sharing.
JoAnne  Thornton
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!
Dad
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Many questions, if answered, give a complete memoir for every stage of life.
Richard Weijo
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I will use my recently reviewed book The Legacy Guide by Carol Franco & Kent Lineback to compare and contrast with Legacy by Linda Spence. Both of these books use a life stage approach to capturing personal history. However, Legacy is more oriented to life events. It’s stages are:

Beginnings and Childhood
Middle Adult Years
Being a Grandparent
Later Adult Years
Reflections

These stages create some awkwardness for those who have not been married, or who
Wayne Groner
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Spence does not use fancy words, out-of-touch theories, and dreary writing exercises in this how-to. She uses down-to-earth, practical, anyone-can-do it guidelines and examples. She debunks every myth you’ve ever heard about writing your life story and walks you through the storytelling process simply, clearly, efficiently, and effectively.

Fear of writing is swept away by her calm assurance that you are preparing a gift for your children, grandchildren, and friends. No need to concentrate on whe
Tom Romig
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm in the process of writing a memoir for my grandchildren, at present, Sophy, Daniel, Adam, and Tommy. So, over the past year, in my usual desultory way, from time to time I've read a few pages of this excellent handbook, written some notes, put it aside, and then resumed the process. I'm ready now to complete my outline, flesh out my notes, write the story of my modest yet precious life. The impetus for this: the oldest of my grandchildren is only five, which means that if I died tonight he'd ...more
Stephanie
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Stephanie by: Travelin Oma
Shelves: write-stuff
This is a great book for anyone looking for ideas to write their personal history. This book is less about reading it for guidance on structure, style's, motivation, and direction. This book is more about the IDEAS of WHAT to write. The questions are story stimulating and investigative. This is a resource for when you get stumped and need to know what to write next. This in conjunction with a book that discusses structure, layout, style etc is the perfect combination to get your personal History ...more
Hom Sack
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good start in preparing to write one's autobiography. The 493 questions: Beginnings and childhood (73), Adolescence (41), Early adult years (29), Marriage (87), Being a parent (82), Middle adult years (32), Being a grandparent (18), Later adult years (55), Reflections (76), are all very thoughtful.
Jennifer Jodziewicz
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
If you have any interest in recording your own story, or someone else's - this is a great book to have as a guide.
Lisa Mings
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Best book of it's kind that I have found
Barbara Lovejoy
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is another great book I am going to use as a resource when writing my personal history.
Softness
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has been a great help while I work on my personal memoir. The sections are broken up into stages of life with thoughtful questions to help bring back the memories.
Scott
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Very practical guide of writing about personal history. Just contains questions to ask when writing.
Megan
Jan 23, 2010
Kimber Burgess
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-book-list
Checked this out from the library and now I want to buy my own copy so I can go through and answer all the questions. Most of the book consists of questions to help you get started in writing your own personal history. Not the book for you if you want very technical writing help.
Toni Bagg
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Research Methods Knowledge Base
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • Psychology 1011/2: The Unspoken Rules for Success in Academia
  • Faking Normal (Faking Normal, #1)
  • How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It: Finding Love Beyond Words