Start by marking “Rising Fire: Volcanoes and Our Inner Lives” as Want to Read:
Rising Fire: Volcanoes and Our Inner Lives

Rising Fire: Volcanoes and Our Inner Lives

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  15 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
An eloquent journey through the fantastic world of volcanoes and volcano lore.
Published August 1st 2004 by Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about Rising Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising Fire

Christian
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who don't know where they're-a gonna go when the volcano blows
Warning: this is not a book about volcanoes; it's a travel memoir with volcanoes as the prominent focus. I was hoping for more science, mythology and history; instead we get a chapter on the new age people at Mt. Shasta. A lot of potential as a subject, but wasted.
Rossdavidh
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: purple
So, here's a book about volcanoes, written by a guy who would rather be writing fiction. It's hit or miss.

Apparently, the author was called into service to write a kids' book on volcanoes. This he did, but the research he did for that book had bit him with a bug for volcanoes, and he kept researching. He goes to see volcanoes (current and former) in Europe, Mexico, the Pacific, Alaska, and the Pacific Northwest. He sees the remnants of a tiny Caribbean island of Montserrat (a British protectorat
Smitha
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great and expressively written view of volcanoes in terms of human history and culture. I thought it touched upon a lot of where my own fascination with volcanoes comes from. However, I was thrown off by the final chapter focusing on rather extreme new-age mysticism surrounding Mt. Shasta--it was a real departure from the rest of the book, and it just ended so abruptly. I had to dock a star for that.
Stacy
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would love to see an updated version of this book, as the one I read came out in 2004. It's an elegant travel take of volcanoes, not so much of the science but the myth/legend/romance of them.

Which is probably why I liked it.
Riley
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a good intro book on volcanoes. Very simple, not written by a scientist. Almost more folklore than science. But this made it more accessible. Also had a fair bit of more modern history in it.
Lauren1012