Start by marking “I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words” as Want to Read:
I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words

I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  7,363 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
In this simple adaptation of Michael Frith's classic Bright & Early Book™, I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words, a pet owner doesn't just teach basics like beg and bark, but also such unlikely canine commands as Shine my shoe! Kiss a goose! and Clean the zoo!
Board Book, 12 pages
Published August 17th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words

Jim
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I didn't care much for the words in this book at all. It didn't suck me along at all & just seemed kind of dumb. (This from a guy that rated Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb & Hippos Go Berserk! with 5 stars.) The illustrations were good, though.
Hannah Morrison
This is one of the first books I remember reading over and over again. I love the rhyming pattern and I always found the ending humorous. Students could even count the words to work on number sense, which is not something I realized I was doing as a child!
Simon
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is funny and the author is a great at rhyming. The story is not that great though.
George

Delightful read aloud on youtube of this book done musically. Hope you enjoy as much as I did!
race car
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It was good the dog was so funny😂😂😂

Do you really think dogs could talk: yes

Can they talk in human voice: yes

This man it crazy😜😝😛
Charles
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is about a dog who's owner said he will teach him 100 words. And the words are all actions that dogs would do and some that were meanings that he would learn. The mayor, and uncle, Mr. Smith, and miss Brown were all finding out about what the dog can do and what the dog has learned.
I would say the words in the book were very well written for the young readers. There were words that would be bolded in red to catch the readers and show that, that is the description of the picture. All t
Madeline
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was amazed by how many different words they taught the dog. A lot of the words were something we as readers, and dog owners would never imagine to teach our pet. However, I read this with my niece and nephew and they absolutely love these books. Especially because they have a dog of their own, and they cracked up in regards to everything they taught the dog because their parents didn't do that and they thought it was interesting.
Carolyn James
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I like using this book with young, unconfident readers. When a student is struggling with language and they can read this book well I can show them just how many words they actually know. It’s also a good base of simple sight words you can pull from to do literacy games like word bingo or battleship. A great early reader book to keep in your back pocket.
Rachel
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a fun exciting book for children to read. I think it will get your classroom or child up and excited and laughing. It can also get children's imagination going and can spark really funny discussions.
Skyler
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
The dog obeyed the boy they got to 100 words by the dog listening to the boy and every time the boy said do something the dog did it. My favourite part was when the boy said he would teach his dog about colours.
Erma Talamante
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s
A cute book about words - rhyming in most places, but not all. My toddler loved the silly pictures of the dog doing very non-dog things. Simple language, rhyming, colorful, simple pictures, exactly what you'd expect from a Cat in the Hat book!
Sandybear76
I read this one to Kindergarten classes. Unfortunately I missed reading it on their 100th day celebration but they still enjoyed it. We counted the red words to get to 100 to double-check the author after reading the story. They liked the counting and the illustrations.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
This is such a cute little book. I thought it did teach a lot of different types of words and phrases. There were some simple dog commands, colors, and objects. It was also pretty easy to read with enthusiasm which is always helpful when you are trying to grab the attention of a little one.
Deanna
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is a good book...not great. It is a good book for young readers to practice reading with an adult. Since the words rhyme, emerging readers can predict what word will come next. This is the main quality of the book. Otherwise, I would say it does not hold too much value for the reader.
Cindy D
Good book for young hands to handle.Picture/vocabulary. This book offers the opportunity to learn new vocabulary words. Each word is accompanied with a colorful illustration demonstrating the word of action.
Leann
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A little advanced for my 2.5-year-old but mainly because it's meant to be a "learn to read" book. He liked the story enough and I'm sure once he is learning how to read, this will be more appropriate. It does have a cute ending.
Amy
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This keeps Alex's attention, and has lots of teaching opportunities that I'm guessing will keep her attention for a few years.
Cari
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-baby
The toddler enjoyed this book. It is a shortened board book, so it isn't quite as much fun as the full version. Still, it's great to have for the car and she enjoys it.
Jimmy B Grande
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great for a read aloud with beginning readers. Nice use of rhyme.
Indah Threez Lestari
084 - 2016
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this book is so funny!
Fred
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My three year old loves this book and after about a month she had every line on every page memorized! She reads it to us and her baby dolls now! This is a great book for that age group!
Jenna Clarno
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-books
One of my all time favorite books when I was a kid.
Nathan Yates
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
My little one got ahold of this one and won't let go. We've read it together at least six times today. She loves it, so that's what matters the most.
Angie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This just doesn't capture the Dr Seussness, I don't think. And its ending is subpar.
Yolanda
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read for 100th day of school.
Heather
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
10 months - a good very early reader for learning opposites, colors and various words. Great for teaching signs.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another favorite read aloud toddler book. Read this one with a little expression and rhythm, it makes it a very cute story that's quite fun to read.

The kids both loved this one.
Ron
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
I got a new ebook account from a local library and needed a quick book to test it on. I grabbed this one. The story is cute and can be read quickly to non-readers.
Cheyenne
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
It didn't really hold Lexi's attention very long. She did like the dogs, though.
  • The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books)
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • The Tooth Book
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • Snow
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • The Best Nest