Start by marking “Monster Hug!” as Want to Read:
Monster Hug!

Monster Hug!

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
From the time they leap out of bed until they hug each other good night, two rambunctious young monsters make the world their playground. And playtime between such great friends is colossal fun, and sometimes earth shaking business. David Ezra Stein?s simple, descriptive text and lively illustrations are full of humor, playing with size and perspective as the monsters play ...more
Published September 20th 2007 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Monster Hug!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Hug!

Roben
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Follow two rambunctious monster friends as they go about their day, wreaking havoc on the world around them. Of course when parents show up at the end of the story, we realize these were young monsters having a good time at play - but play time is over and it's time for bed. Always good to end the day with a friendly hug. I can just see the kids giggling over some of the things the monsters do while they are playing!
Melissa
Two monster friends spend their day playing amongst the city, ocean, and mountains around their home to some hilarious effect. The text is minimal and most of the action appears in the illustrations, and I especially liked the "twist" ending! But somehow I just didn't care for the illustration style so it fell a little flat for me.
Lauren
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun
Cute and silly - would be good to read with a toddler/preschooler one-on-one so you can discuss what's happening in the illustrations. Wouldn't suggest for a read-aloud; the words make most sense in the context of the illustrations, which are too subtle for a group to see well, I think.
Destiny Leskovac
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Monster Hug! is a sweet tale about two young monsters and the eventful day they have. From when they wake up until they go to sleep, the monsters are ready to play! They meet up, amusing themselves and causing mayhem throughout the city. Although these young beings are monsters, they relate to children today. They play games such as baseball and they make art. Children will find this story seemingly sweet and entertaining as they read about these monster pals and the mischief they get themselves ...more
Radha TheLibrarian
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So cute!
Lisa Vegan
Oh, I loved Leaves and Pouch! by the same author-illustrator. But, I found this book disappointing.

The illustrations aren’t nearly as appealing (for me) as in the other two books, but some of them are cute. I like the two with the monster on the bridge, the two showing each monster eating, and the two where the monster buddies’ elders first appear; they were all sort of funny.

I think kids who either like monsters or who are scared of monsters might very well like this book. Also, I think that th
Samuel Gillham
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Monster Hug! is an all-around fun book to read. Reading it out loud to a group of kids would be a blast. Each page follows the pattern of, "Monsters (verb)." So kids can pretend to be a monster and act out the verb being read. For example, one page reads, "Monsters wake up!!" So kids could pretend to wake up with all the rambunctiousness of a monster. It can also teach kids about noun/verb usage while making it enjoyable. I would say it is best used for kids grades K-3.
Jen Garrett
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
looking for a bedtime book for your monster-loving youngster? This book might be for you! Minimal text and simple plot make this perfect for the pre-reader under 5. Like most bedtime stories, the purpose of this picture book is to help little monsters settle down for the night.

I was a little disappointed when I realized that this was just a bedtime story. I was hoping for a little more conflict. However, for the right reader it could be a wonderful fit.
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Two monsters meet up and spend the day having various adventures (and minor conflicts) until a swerve in the second half of the book casts their actions in a different light. Captions are direct and simple, only 2-3 words on each page along with a word or two of dialogue attributed to the characters to provide an accent and color each scene. It was fun and worked a simplistic gimmick to good effect. I would have rated it higher if I enjoyed the illustration style more.
Angela
Best for kids ages 1 and up.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary

From cover:
From the time they leap out of bed until they hug each other goodbye, two rambunctious young monsters make the world their playground. And playtime between such great friends is colossal fun, and sometimes earth-shaking business!

Kid like illustration are really fun, but the words and sentences get overpowered by the illustration. Early readers may get more out of the pictures than the words.
Susan
Two monsters go about their sometimes rough and always amusing monsters games and activities. When bedtime comes, they hug and say goodbye. This book made a fun read-aloud because of the simple art. Since much of the story is in the pictures, this can be hard to do. You have to make all the sounds the monsters do make it funnier.
Dolly
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I'm not a big fan of this book, but our girls enjoyed the illustrations and what we did take from the story is that even big, strong and scary monsters have Mommies and Daddies who make them come home for dinner and go to bed early. The illustrations are a bit too sketchy for my taste and I presume that this book would appeal to boys more so than girls.
Vicki
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a great storytime book -- you can make it funny, or dramatic, and the monsters are pretty non-threatening. Kids love the scale of how large the monsters are against things like bridges and roads. And then even bigger parents show up! A good opener.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Brilliant. The fun, short text and vibrant illustrations grab my daughter's attention every single time we read this book to her. She LOVES this book! It's especially fun because of the voices you can do for the monster characters.
Tricia
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
I enjoy Stein's work but this title didn't bowl me over. The text was a bit choppy and the concept unclear. The ending somewhat redeems the title as we find out the monsters who appear so big are "children" monsters playing. Just okay.
Mary
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp
They played roughly throughout the book, but the ending is what earned the book the fourth star! The image of the fierce monsters hugging and then holding their parents' (mother? father? not always easy to tell with monsters)paws as they say goodbye and go off to bed? Priceless
Rebecca
Very cute, simple book with loose, happy ink-and-watercolor illustrations. This would be a fun one to read one-on-one or to a group as an act-it-out book (act out what the monsters are doing...use sound effects!).
Aimee
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This book was great! It tells the story of two monsters going CRAZY using really bright colorful pictures that look like they were drawn in crayons. It also has great verbs that students could act out as the story goes on. Like kids though, of course. Definitely NOT like the monsters in the story!
Jackie
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simple, spare text accompany this delightful picture book about monsters and how they play, fight, and hug!

Monster Hug! is colorful and full of never-before seen monster antics...kids will love it! :-)

Used for "Monsters: And Other Creatures" storytime-October, 2011.
Pauline
Jan 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would've been better if the sentences were more complex...the illustrations are awesome, but the sentences too simple for a preschooler.
Rosa
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
The artwork here is slightly sloppy but it was clearly a style choice and it was a great one. I liked the twist of the monsters being children.
Joanne Roberts
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This should have been a great book, but the ending left me cold. Kids may like the rambunctious monsters, and maybe parents will relate, but I thought the story was thin and a little flat.
Zaidee
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
lame book although I like some other David Ezra Stein books.
Erin
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Monsters do all sorts of things. This book takes you through the day of a couple of young monsters playing away. The text is very simple.

Good for toddler or preschool storytimes.
Jamil
Dec 30, 2007 rated it liked it
also for my nephews, who play like these monsters
Miss Sarah
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
simple text and heavily reliant on pictures. This book features two monster friends going through their day interacting as normal kids would do till bedtime.
Rusty Gregory
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Simple, creative, and clever. I liked the simplicity of this book. It is kind of refreshing to see something simple and loose.
Danica Midlil
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship
I love that the back end-page shows the monster mama knitting a monster sock (even if the knitting isn't depicted correctly!).
Gretchen W
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
For younger kids like my brothers
Natalie
Dec 12, 2008 rated it liked it
The ending was really great and a few of the phrases were clever, but it wasn't solidly appreciated.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Quiet in the Garden
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • The Bear's Song
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed?
  • Mrs. Biddlebox
  • Stormy Night
  • A Lot of Otters
  • Two Little Monkeys
David Ezra Stein is an author-illustrator whose previous books include LEAVES, winner of an Ezra Jack Keats New Writer Award. He lives in Kew Gardens, New York.
More about David Ezra Stein...