Start by marking “Work 101: Learning the Ropes of the Workplace Without Hanging Yourself” as Want to Read:
Work 101: Learning the Ropes of the Workplace Without Hanging Yourself

Work 101: Learning the Ropes of the Workplace Without Hanging Yourself

In this straight-talking guide, MBA Elizabeth Freedman--an expert in corporate etiquette--shares the rules of the workplace that only veterans know: survival secrets that will help you avoid the common mistakes that can sink careers at the gate. From getting a seat at the meeting table to dealing with a demanding boss, from talking salary in a performance review to what ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Delta (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Work 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Work 101

Start your review of Work 101: Learning the Ropes of the Workplace Without Hanging Yourself
Mikejencostanzo
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I read this one as an e-book actually -- the first e-book I've actually read cover to cover in it's entirety! I checked it out from the public library's website as one that looked good to read, since my current temp job has plopped me firmly in the clutches of the corporate world for the very first time.

There were a number of good things I gleaned from this book. Good points, lesson, reminders from the author that have actually come in pretty handy on the job.

Author, Elizabeth Freedman
J
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love reading self-help and business books, so this was right up my alley... even though I started my first corporate job over a decade ago and am currently at home with my daughter.

I agree with the author’s advice wholeheartedly and highly recommend this book for any young people entering corporate life for the first time. I also found this to be a good refresher course for individuals joining professional organizations, especially if you are entrenched in your own company’s specific
Eric Bell
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is an introduction to corporate cultures (in an abstract sense) for new employees in their first jobs after school. If you're new to a job, it's worth taking some time to understand some of the stated and unstated rules of the workplace.
Nathan Rose
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
I thought having an entire chapter on dining etiquette was ridiculous, but then I went to a lunch meeting...

The chapter about "when to know when it's time to move on" was interesting. All else was pretty much stating the obvious (with an intended audience of the clueless).
Andy
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
"Clothes should be crisp, pressed, and neat, so get rid of the khaki pants with the frayed edges around the bottom or the shirt that always seems to look wrinkled." hmmmm...time to go shopping.
Kevin
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book for the 1st timers. Author explained why and laid out the plans for execution.
Sue Chan