Start by marking “The Hat” as Want to Read:
The Hat

The Hat

(Hedgie)

A delightful animal story featuring hats! The same cover art and size as the hardcover editions.
Published January 1st 1998 by Scholastic (first published September 29th 1997)

Start your review of The Hat
Calista
I’m never disappointed by a story from Jan Brett. Hedgehog is the center of this amusing story. A little girl is airing out her winter woolens when one sock falls off the clothesline. A curious hedgehog sticks his head in the opening and it gets stuck on his prickles. It’s quite cute. So now he tells all the animals laughing at him that it is a hat.

What I enjoy about the story is on each page in the panels, we see the little girl, on the top we see the clothes line and on the right we see the
Karina
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The start of winter is starting on the farm and Lisa washes all her woolen clothes. She hangs them on an outdoor line when one of her socks flies away and lands on Hedgehog's head. All the farm animals make fun of his "hat" but he makes them feel like they are missing out on a fashionable trend and soon Lisa has no clothes on the line.

Very funny and fun to read. Old fashioned drawings which we all enjoyed looking at.
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
My two year old has renamed this book, The Sock. This makes a fun read aloud for young children. You are given plenty of opportunities to read using various voices and also make familiar animal sounds found on a farm.
Amber
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
Adorable! Hedgie uses a stocking as a hat.
Janice
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Little girl takes her woolen clothes out of storage and puts them on a clothesline to air out for the winter. One of the pieces gets blown away and discovered by a curious hedgehog. He accidentally winds up wearing it. The other animals tease him, but he wears it so proudly that once the little girl catches up to him and takes it back that she now has to chase down the rest of her wardrobe on other farm animals.

The drawings are beautiful. The borders add to the story. It is just a playful romp
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chomperru, children, own
"THOSE FOOLS WILL TASTE MY REVENGE FOR THEIR INSOLENCE," thought the Hedgehog, probably.
Amy Bruestle
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a little kid...I think in 4th grade. Cute.
Abigail
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jan Brett Fans / Readers Looking for Amusing Animal Stories for Children
When Lisa leaves her woolen garments on the clothes-line to air out, her fallen stocking is picked up by Hedgie the hedgehog, who becomes entangled in it and can't get it off his head. The other animals are inclined to laugh at our erinaceous hero, but Hedgie insists his inadvertent headgear only makes sense, given the cold weather. Hurt nevertheless by the other animals' ridicule, Hedgie retreats toward his den, eventually running into Lisa, who takes her stocking back and explains to him that ...more
Sarah Sammis
Jun 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc
The Hat is a cute story about embarrassment, friendship and popularity. As with Bringing Down the Moon, the main characters are animals. In this one the protagonist is a hedgehog who wants nothing more than to get a stocking off his back before all his friends think he's stupid for wearing such a ridiculous "hat."

Meanwhile, all his friends, having seen his hat on such a cold winter's day see the wisdom of keeping warm and decide to pinch clothing from the woman's laundry line where she had hung
Vivian
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Our two performers enjoyed sharing this book to pre-schoolers at library story time. One was the hedgehog and the other was all the other animals.

Here's a link if you'd like a hedgehog paperdoll: http://janbrett.com/costumes_main_cho...

Here's a link if you'd like to make a hedgehog hat:

Here's a link if you'd like to print some hedgehog stickers:

Here's a link to make a paper plate craft hedgehog:
Ashley
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hedgie-stories
This book is great! The story is very cute! And the illustrations are a great tool for helping young children learn comprehension skills as the pictures in the margins allow young children to guess what happens next. This is great for interactive reading! My preschooler and I really enjoyed reading this together!
Dianna
Nov 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My baby liked this book, being a fan of The Mitten. I thought it was very well done and I loved the pictures, of course, and all the fun details that Jan Brett adds. I wouldn't recommend the board book edition, though; it's too small and the animals are hard to see, especially for a baby.
Amanda J
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a really nice board book. The colors are a little muted but the illustrations are beautiful and very detailed. The story is a lot of fun and perfect for the winter season.
Bethany
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Snapchat read aloud) We were joined by my stuffed hedgie wearing a hat.
little dumpling
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved this book since I was a child, it's just adorable.
Sierra Riley
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hedgie just wants to wear his hat for the love of god.

#fashionicon #donthatemecusyouaintme
Kate H
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jan Brett writes a beautiful story but the true star of the show are her gorgeous illustrations. I love how the stunning art in the central picture is augmented by the secondary story being told in the images in the side bar. She is a tee master of her craft.
Bethany Verhey
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jan-brett
This is a story of a sock that falls from a girl's laundry line and lands by Hedgie the hedgehog, who then gets the sock stuck to his head. He runs into many animals who say his hat looks silly but Hedgie says that it'll keep him warm. By the end, Hedgie gets free from the hat but all the other animals are wearing clothes and all of the girl's clothes are gone from the clothes line. The story is very clever as you watch Hedgie struggle to get out of the hat he didn't want while he convinces ...more
Victoria Simpson
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hat, by Jan Brett is an all time classic children's book. Jan Brett is an author and illustrator who is known for her colorful and detailed drawings and wide variety of animals and cultures. You will see many of these characteristics in the book, The Hat. Hedgie the hedgehog is the main character throughout this story. He is a curious and sneaky little fellow who accidentally gets a sock stuck on his head. When all of Hedgie's friends see him out, they begin to make fun of him for his "hat". ...more
Mattie Troyer
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book brings back such great memories! I remember watching the snow fall as a little girl and my mom reading this story to me. It was a tradition that on the first snowfall that she would read it to all us kids. I love Jan Brett and this book is by far my favorite of hers. I love how her illustrations flow and it gives you clues on one page about what is to come next. This story is about a cute little hedgehog that got a stocking stuck on his head. He wore it with pride as he walked around ...more
Cassidy Bates
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hat by Jan Brett tells the story of a hedgehog who ends up with a little girl's stocking and calls it his hat. In the beginning, all of his animal friends are making fun of him for how ridiculous he looks with his hat on. The hedgehog replies that he will be warm in the cold of winter, while they will all be freezing cold. However, at the end of the book, all of the animals have taken the little girls clothing too because they have realized that the hedgehog was right all along. This book ...more
Melissa Namba
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnamba
A cute story about how people will follow others without thinking. I liked the quick thinking of the hedgehog. I liked that there were little panes along with the hedgehog story showing what the little girl was doing at the same time. The ending picture looked like something you would see in an illustrated version of Animal Farm. A fun story.
Abby Bauernfeind
Hedgie ends up with a new “hat,” only to be ridiculed by the other animals. His adventure in his new hat results in him being ashamed that he cannot take it off. Only when he is being chased by Lisa, do the other animals follow along in wearing her clothes and Hedgie gets the final say in telling them how ridiculous they all look. The book evokes a chuckle, but also calls on the reader to think about how to treat others who have their own unique sense of style. The book does a great job on ...more
Brittany Smith
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books I remember from my childhood. My mom really liked Jan Brett so I think we owned most of her picture books. The version I read recently was the board book version. I know sometimes that board books are shortened versions of the originals, but I couldn’t tell if this one was shortened are not. The story felt complete.

As always Jan Brett has great illustrations and cute stories! This is a great story about trends and how silly they can be.

See my full review at
Taylor Volker
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hat which is common from The Mitten has a porcupine, Hedgie, who gets a hat stuck on it's head when it falls from the clothesline. Other animals on the farm laughs at Hedgie when he pretends to be wearing a new hat but in reality, he can't get it off his spikes. Lisa, the girl in the story, realizes her stocking is missing and goes and looks for it. At the end of the story all the other animals have a piece of clothing from the clothesline and Hedgie gets the last laugh. Children love this ...more
The Brothers
A hedgehogs accidental gets a woolen sock stuck on his head, much to the mirth of the farm yard animals. But he rebuts their teasing with the fact that he's preparing for a cold winter. They, one by one, dash off without a retort. Before he knows it, all the farm yard animals are wearing some sort of woolen clothing taken from the clothes line to prepare for winter.

Illustrations (as usual) as fantastic. Love how Brett uses the margin art to add to the storytelling.
Alyssa Hunt
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very well written and illustrated. Jan writes a really cute & whimsical story about a hedgehog who happens across a hat and uses it to keep warm. The story is so well written that when the other characters begin to make fun of him you feel upset. The preview of what is going to happen on the next page just adds that much more to the story. I would definitely recommend this story to all ages.
Caitlyn Hanley
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Brett does a wonderful job illustrating literary devices throughout the book. This book is notable because of the devices used, as well as the curiosity that the hedgehog has. The hedgehog started a trend and others followed, and it can easily be compared to uniqueness and the differences each student in the class will have.
Catherine Johnson
Jan Brett never disappoints and this one is no different. When a sock lands on a hedgehog and he can't get it off, it leads to lots of mocking from other animals. There is a fun twist at the end and just such a cute story in all.

This is a classic example of one situation leading to interesting circumstances, a solution and then a funny twist at the end. Easy isn't it? ;)
Meg McGregor
This book is illustrated by Jan Brett! Who wouldn't love any book by this highly accomplished illustrator? And Hedgie is the most awesome hedgehog in literature!

Hedgie, along with his barnyard friends, have a hilarious time with the laundry. (A lot more fun than I have ever had, that's for sure!)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash
  • There's a Nightmare in My Closet
  • If You Take a Mouse to School
  • The Relatives Came
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2)
  • Is Your Mama a Llama?
  • A Color of His Own
  • Katy and the Big Snow
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • It Looked Like Spilt Milk
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • Stellaluna
  • The Kissing Hand
  • Snowmen at Night
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • The Bee Tree
  • The Big Snow
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I

Hedgie (5 books)