Start by marking “On Noah's Ark” as Want to Read:
On Noah's Ark

On Noah's Ark

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  801 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Jan Brett's intricate illustrations against a beautiful papyrus background make a stunning picture book of a favorite story-this time featuring Noah's granddaughter. As the floodwaters rise, she helps take the animals onto the ark and get them settled down. But it's not easy when giraffes are sleeping next to pandas and lions are curled up with turkeys. Finally the gentle
Published September 29th 2003 by G.P. Putnam's

To ask other readers questions about On Noah's Ark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Noah's Ark

midnightfaerie
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The illustrations were beautiful in this one! Great family read, and a wonderful story about Noah's ark. The kids all loved it even though there weren't many words, still enjoyed by all of us. Highly recommended.
Skylar Burris
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
GREAT illustrations, but I don't really like this version of the Noah story; it leaves out too much that is important and de-spiritualizes it completely.
Ebookwormy1
This book is heavy with beautiful, rich, intriguing illustrations and light on Biblical content.

There is no mention of God, the evil of men that caused the flood, Noah's sacrifice after leaving the ark, or God's promise to never flood the earth again (though there is a rainbow in the last illustration, it is not explained).

Though some ideas fall under artistic/ creative license, like the theory that men and animals on the ark slept more than normal (God could have made this happen to keep every
Brittany
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
This version of Noah's Ark leaves out God and fails to live up to the Biblical account found in Genesis.
Kristanne Duncan
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
This version of the Noah's Ark was not my favorite. I can understand maybe not including all of the religious aspects such as God punishing the people and creating the flood, etc. That may just be a reason to be able to have this story placed in a public school setting. However, Noah's Ark IS a religious story. There is something missing from the moral of the story, no lesson to be learned when you take out one of the main characters, God. The only reason I give it TWO stars is because of the il ...more
Jul 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
I would have given this book 2 stars just for the illustrations, but the secularization of the story made me too angry. Let me make clear that I am not in any way a biblical literalist. I have no problem with personalizing the story with a few details. But when you purposely leave out a major character in the story (God), it is not the same story. If Ms.Brett finds God unpalatable, she should write a story of her own instead of ripping off biblical literature.

At least Ms.Brett could have had th
Amynicole
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-littles
I tend to stay away from religious books, especially those that are geared toward children because I don't want to deal with conflicting thoughts or principles, but this one is fantastic. I love that it doesn't touch on anything religious, just very basic-- the rains are coming so "grandpa noah" builds an ark, the animals go on the ark in pairs, the rains come and the animals are all squished together, the rain stops, the animals go their own way. that's basically the gist of it. as a child, we' ...more
Danette
May 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations were beautiful but the story is not at all faithful to the Biblical text.
1. A grandchild on the ark?
2. It shows a couple adults other than "grandpa" Noah but they are never mentioned.
3. It shows water building up around the ark even before the rain.
4. The tops of mountains poke up above the water.
5. The dove is sent out to look for land with mountain peaks showing in the distance.
6. Noah steers the ark to the land
7. Not one word mentioning God or human kind's sin.

5/8/17 Read to
Jaimie
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brett applies her artistic talents to Biblical subjects in this book - which as you can imagine is not my favourite topic - but at least the story of Noah’s arc allows her much room to exercise her love of intricate drawings, multiple storylines, and animal forms. Basically the whole book is comprised of animals, since humans (and Noah himself) play very little role except for building and driving the boat, so I didn’t have to be disgusted with the typical preachy tone.
Katie
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Read this today at the library and especially enjoyed Brett's depiction of the animals on the ark.
Sydney Rachlin
1. This book has not won any awards.

2. Appropriate grade level: K-3

3. This is a nice simplified story about the legend of Noah's Ark. The narrator of the story is a little boy whose grandfather is Noah. The boy helps his grandfather to gather animals and prepare for the giant storm that will flood the world.

4. The illustrations of the story were extremely detailed and beautifully done. The story was well-written and gave a good overview that young children would understand. I liked how it was t
Amanda Boschee
“On Noah’s Ark” by Jan Brett, is a traditional literature children’s story, which falls under the subgenre of folktales. This story gives a first person point of view of the story from the Bible, Noah’s Ark. “On Noah’s Ark” goes through the events of Noah building an ark, bringing on the animals, and sailing for forty days through the flood. This folktale represents the cultural and religious values that this story is set place in. It gives the reader a chance to see, through the illustrations, ...more
Roxanne Watlington
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The traditional picture book I choose to read was “On Noah’s Ark” written by Jan Brett. This book is a children’s folktale based off the story Noah’s Ark in the Bible. I thought this was interesting because it’s based off of religious stories. “On Noah’s Ark” represents cultural values through unity. The book displaying colorful detailed pictures and words, the story comes to life and is about a little girl and her grandpa and they are building an Arc to save every animal species and themselves ...more
Lisa
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
The pictures were done well. It is from the perspective of Noah's grandchild.
Hyesu Kang
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about traditional book, and it can be folk tales for sub genre. I believe it is base on one of the Bible story. Also , It treat one grandfather and granddaughter story. They finding way from flood, and they try to help animals settle down in new land. Moreover, she tried to make peaceful environment for animals, and she also sleep with animals. After rains stop, grandfather sends his dove off to look for land, and the dove came back with fresh green leaf from new tree. Thus, They k ...more
Jane G Meyer
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the simplest form of a Noah's Ark story I've ever read. So simple it actually leaves out all the turmoil of evil men, of Noah being laughed at for being obedient to God--well, it even leaves out God! If this were the only version of Noah's Ark to have in my library, then I'd give it one star or less, but because I have dozens of versions to choose from, I'd have to say that I'm quite enchanted by this version.

First of all, it's hard to explain to a little one that there were enough mean
Alexandra
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love this adaptation of Noah's Ark. It wasn't completely biblical or preachy or anything. In fact, Noah, in this book, was actually "Grandpa Noah" and his granddaughter accompanied him on the ark with all the animals. The swimming animals had their own habitat at the bottom of the ark, filled with lots of water deep enough for them to swim in, which I thought was very cool and that happened to be my favorite illustration.
Really cool take on the story of Noah's Ark and I think it's neat that Jan
Rosa Cline
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
All of Jan Brett's books could stand alone as picture books they are always wonderfully illustrated! I would have rated this one a 4.5 simply by the illustrations alone; but the story of Noah's Ark was a big 'off' from traditional Christian views of it the story is told by Noah's grandson (of which many believe it was only Noah and his children with no grandchildren especially ones that was the age of the child 'telling' the story so that was a bit different. Not saying 'wrong' just maybe not th ...more
Kristen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, religious
This was actually a sweet children's book. I am missing the book jacket because I picked it up for cheap at our big annual book sale. This is the very basic story of Noah's Ark. It describes how Noah built the ark, and animals came in two by two and what it was like all cramped in the ark and it raining for 40 days and 40 nights. It ends with the dove and finding land and rebuilding life. The pictures were beautiful. I really liked this book and it's perfect for kids just learning about Christia ...more
Nicki
I was a bit annoyed that the author took the liberty of adding a character to the Noah story that is not written in the Bible. Noah had 3 sons and daughters-in-law, but no mention is made of "their children" or "their families", which leads me to think they didn't have any yet when the flood came. creating a version of the story told through a non-existent grandson seems presumptive. The pictures were very nice, but I will read a different version to my children in the future.
Leah Miller
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I thought this book was a good book to introduce the story of Noah's Ark to young children. The illustrations are amazing throughout the whole book. The animals all look so realistic and are very detailed. I know that religion in schools is a touchy subject, but this book doesn't really tell the story from a religious view. She uses a little boy whose grandpa is Noah and they build the ark because of the rain. I think it would work in an elementary class without any religious issues.
Kimberly
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again, a five star review for Jan Brett. I love her calm, soothing text and the detailed illustrations in her lovely books. I read this one to my daughter tonight, and she spent so much time going over each and every animal. I like that the story is from the point of view of Noah's grandson. Having the book from a child's perspective will help create a bond between reader and character, which is more difficult in just a basic retelling of a biblical classic.
Matt
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a retelling of the biblical tale of Noah and the flood, but this time it is told from the point of view of his granddaughter. She helps load the animals onto the ark, and then once the waters start to rise she does her best to keep the animals calm. I wouldn't use this for a read aloud but I would keep it in my classroom library.
Stacy
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Linda
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I had 10 books to go in my 2016 book challenge so I finished with children's board books. I read all 10 in about 40 minutes.
I picked this book because I liked Jan Brett's The Mitten. This is a beautifully illustrated rendition of Noah's Ark, told from Noah's grandson's viewpoint.
Joshua
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great art. An interesting interpretation of the Bible story. It plays down the drama of a sinful world experiencing judgement, but most tellings of this story for kids do. Though the art's quality is great, the best of it is the whimsical story that is tells of a little kid snoozing with all manner of animals then taking the childishly practically step to untangle that slumbering zoo.
Paris
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: habitat
Don't let the pages fool you, even young readers can enjoy this book. Throughout this book, the author shares the experience on Noah's Ark from his grandaughter's perspective. The picture are amazing. Before reading this book to students, I would see if they can identify the animals in the pictures. I would read this book as a read aloud.
Meredith Estes
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brooke-books, littles
Read this to a mixed age Sunday School class and it was all age appropriate with a nice jumping off point for discussions about what it was like on the ark. The illustrations, as always, were beautiful. She is one of my favorite artists. So detailed.
KatieK
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Beautiful pictures
  • Elmo Says Achoo! (Sesame Street)
  • Magic Fish
  • A Child's Calendar
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • Family Home Evening Resource Book
  • Kingdom of Color (Disney Tangled)
  • The Bible: Authorized King James Version with Apocrypha
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Sleepy ABC
  • This Is the Stable
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • You're All My Favorites
  • Henny Penny (Paul Galdone Classics)
  • Do You Have a Hat?
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • Owly
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...