Start by marking “Iggy Peck, Architect” as Want to Read:
Iggy Peck, Architect

Iggy Peck, Architect

A hilarious, irreverent book about doing your own thing

Meet Iggy Peck—creative, independent, and not afraid to express himself! In the spirit of David Shannon’s No, David and Rosemary Wells’s Noisy Nora, Iggy Peck will delight readers looking for irreverent, inspired fun.

Iggy has one passion: building. His parents are proud of his fabulous creations, though they’re somet
Published October 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Iggy Peck, Architect, please sign up.
Erin The kids in the story are in 2nd grade. You could use it for preschoolers-elementary school.

Toph
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Out of all the picture books this author has released so far, I probably like these illustrations the best. The buildings are cool, and the beginning (with Iggy's bottom showing) actually made my sister crack up a bit :) 4.5 stars.
Betsy
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
It was pretty clear right from the start that Iggy Peck wasn't your normal toddler. No, by age two he'd discovered how to construct towers out of diapers (interesting, if not particularly sanitary). By three he used fruit to create his constructions, and by the time he hit the second grade he was getting more and more creative. That's when he got into Ms. Greer's class. Ms. Greer had once suffered an unfortunate incident in a very tall building, and the result is that she felt from there on in t ...more
Eh?Eh!
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is that Flowers are Red song but with a budding/bloomed architect instead of a painter. I would argue that his final construction project is more structural engineering than architecture, but quibbling hairsplits doesn't matter. Sweet story. A gift from a sweet person.
Kathryn
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!!! This gem is full of charm, humor, warmth, creativity and tenacity. Iggy Peck is a born architect--one of those lucky few who knows absolutely what he wants to do with his life and decides to do it in every way he can--starting by using his diapers to build a skyscraper! His parents encourage his creativity and talent, but when Iggy gets to second grade his teacher puts a damper on both. Because SHE does not like tall buildings (she had an unfortunate experience as a child!) no one ...more
Carmen
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Recommended to Carmen by: Book Store
When Iggy was three, his parents could see
his unusual passion would stay.
He built churches and chapels from peaches and apples
and temples from modeling clay.

I liked this better than Rosie Revere, Engineer. Iggy is a small boy who is an architectural genius. But what happens when he gets to the 2nd grade and comes face-to-face with a teacher who has a deep-seated fear of architecture rooted in her childhood?

Fun, innovative, with great illustrations and a positive message.

NOTES:
Graph paper end pap
Ann
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents, teachers - anyone with children in their life!
Recommended to Ann by: Katie!!
What a refreshing story! The basic premise is a rhyming tale about young Iggy Peck who wants to be and Architect. From a toddler he starts building all sorts of things out of highly unusual materials. But when Iggy gets to second grade ends up with a teacher who's afraid of tall buildings. Consequently he's told that architecture in second grade is out of the question. With Iggy's passion removed, school suddenly becomes dull and uninteresting. However, of course, there is a grand chance for Igg ...more
Stefani Sloma
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Really cute story with some wonderful illustrations. Not exactly one I would read in story time at the library as there are some parts where the text is rather long, but this one would be perfect for some one-on-one reading with the little builder in your life. A great story about not giving up and doing the things you love.
Melissa
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Had to complete the series while I was in a Hoopla binge. Not my favorite of the series, this one was more a they saved the day with their talent, instead of just encouraging them to explore more, so I think it muddled the message just a bit, but still good...even though I’m partial to the other two more.
Melki
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young Iggy has a penchant for architecture, and likes nothing more than making elaborate structures using whatever is handy - dirt clods, fresh fruit, chalk, dirty diapers . . . Cute story with fun illustrations.
David
Nov 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Iggy Peck, Architect by Andrea Beaty, illustrated by David Roberts is the quirky story of a young boy for whom building is a passion, and his teacher who dislikes architecture.

Iggy Peck starts creating buildings at two, starting with a smelly diaper tower, and a cat-inspired Sphinx of dirt clods. Iggy built churches, chapels, and temples from peaches, apples and clay. In 2nd grade his teacher Miss Greer made it clear she didn't like building, based on a childhood trauma. Iggy is deflated until,
paula
There's a lady with a beehive hairdo and a beauty spot on the cover of this book - a sure-fire signifier of "quirky," perhaps even "offbeat". And let me tell you, it ain't just the illustrations! (although now I'm craving Iggy's mom's Pucci-esque caftans and Twiggy A-lines) The story is fun and the wordplay is quirky in this book about a second-grade engineering prodigy.

"Young Iggy Peck is an architect
and has been since he was two,
when he built a great tower - in only an hour -
with nothing b
Dolly
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a hilarious and whimsical look at a child prodigy who is in turn encouraged and discouraged from pursuing his passion for building buildings and other structures. The rhythmic and rhyming narrative is very entertaining and the illustrations are fabulous. It's a terrific book to read aloud and we really enjoyed reading this story together.

This book was featured as one of the selections for the November 2011 Inventors-themed reads for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group he
Sylvester
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
3* art
5* story/rhyme

"Good gracious, Ignacious!" You've got to love a book with a line like that in it. Like her other books, this one is about a child who is different, feels misunderstood, but who is full of ideas and plans, and continues on with them in spite of everything. So positive and humorous. I highly recommend.
Rachel Nicole Wagner
Pursue your dreams

A beautifully illustrated tale with an empowering message to never give up on you dreams and keep pursuing your passions. A MUST read for children of all ages!
Anna Richland
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, kids, teaching-art, travel
The illustrations far surpass the text - my children enjoyed the book with me, because we talk about the pictures, but it's not one they pick up on their own.

It's definitely worth reading from the library, and the message about creativity at school is timely as more and more schools (ours included) seem to become very boilerplate, but there was some essential spark that I wasn't finding.

Maybe it's just the gray weather as I write this - or maybe it's the fact that even a small child can recogn
Claire Russell
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Iggy Peck is an unusual child who has a passion for design and architecture from a young age. He builds his first building from nappies and glue when he is two years old and continues building fantastic buildings until he gets to Grade 2. Miss Lila Greer, his second grade teacher is not keen on architecture and states it has 'no place in grade two'. Iggy is downhearted and the 12 days which follow are 'a haze of reading, writing and arithmetic'. Whilst on a class trip, disaster strikes when a br ...more
Heidy Villalvazo
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book “Iggy Peck Architect” is about a boy named Iggy Peck that loves to build and wants to be an architect. It is also about about how he makes buildings and structures out of school supplies, edible stuff, other random stuff he finds. He has a difficult time doing what he love because his teacher doesn’t like buildings. at the end Iggy and his class go on a field trip and they get stuck on a hill because the bridge brook so Iggy helps out to build a bridge. The class gets to the other side ...more
Jodi
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Clever, fantastic illustrations, and quite hilarious. My one quibble is that, before I even opened the book, my daughter asked what an architect was. My son correctly answered that it is a person who designs buildings, not the person who builds them. We then open the book to find Iggy Peck, Architect/Builder. In spite of that, lines like "Good gracious Ignacious!" are enough to make up for that semantic error.
ABC
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
Iggy loves to design and build structures, but he is discouraged by his teacher. Apparently his teacher got lost in a tall building in second grade. (My son thought it was funny that she was found eating cheese with a circus troupe.) Of course, Iggy proves that architecture is a GOOD thing.
Jennifer Palmer
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My new favorite children's book. This book is about letting a child be a child and use their imagination to build and create.
Jen
Three point five. The story was a little scattered here and there, but I liked that the kill-joy teacher learns a lesson in the end.
Carolyn
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, graphic
Fantastic art. Cool story.

note to self & those interested (Teale!): altho Iggy & his teacher are white, his class is presented as very diverse!

Sending to my nephew for his birthday.
Alison
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Of the three books so far in this children's series by Andrea Beaty, this is the strongest and my favorite. The messaging makes it tops in that the main character, Iggy, is not made to be the main, lone hero, rather it is the way in which his gifts work through his whole class to become heroic and the story-changer. Superb and very refreshing messaging here for a children's book that is not in typical pattern of other popular story books. The rhyming is cute with creative and humorous ideas for ...more
Rachel
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Technically this one was read To me, but Ima count it. It's just as cute as Ada Twist, Scientist. Same concept, same story set up even. Kid is awesome, parents are unsure, kid gets more curious- kid goes to school a thing happens, they have to sit alone and think- kid prevails and it's wonderful!

I don't mind the pattern, now that I know it's a pattern at least. I still love the concept and the story itself, which earns it its three stars.
Hannah Higson
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, poetry
This book didn’t really capture me as much as I thought it may do.
I think the illustrations are really well done, allowing the children to infer more about the story than they are told.
I would also use this in DT for children to have a go at junk modelling.
Rhyme is used well in this book to create the pace.
Lauren Millard
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book along with Ada Twist, scientist and Rosie Reveer, engineer are some of the cutest children’s books. The kids in all three books are in the same class and my son loves seeing the same kids in all the stories! We adore rhyming books and all three of these talk about following your interests and dreams.
Juli Anna
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful illustrations and rhymes!
Brooke
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great picture book for elementary children about building and dreaming of becoming an architect!
Lindsay
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love love love! Beaty and Roberts make the best team- inspirational stories with amazing illustrations. I have read these to my four year old I think we both know them by heart. I also noticed that once I read Iggy speck to him his duplo towers became taller and more intricate. Coincidence?
I have bought these books for all of his friends birthdays!
Maxwell Rae
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I must of really like this book because I babbled non stop during it and stopped as soon as mummy closed it!
  • Going Places
  • One
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • Beautiful Oops!
  • The Way Back Home (The Boy, #3)
  • The Iridescence of Birds: A Book About Henri Matisse
  • The Snatchabook
  • Louise Loves Art
  • Ellie
I was raised in a big family in a tiny town in southern Illinois. Our small house was jammed with 6 kids, 2 adults, a variable number of cats, 1 dog and thousands of books. It was great. Since I grew up in the 60's and 70's, I didn't have the internet or cable TV to keep me amused, but I had something much better--my siblings. We spent our days watching bad TV (B-movies, Gilligan's Island, the Bra ...more