Start by marking “Owly” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  303 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
When Owly asks his mother question after question about the world, she finds just the right ways to help him find the answers.
Published March 1st 1998 by Walker Childrens (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Owly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Owly

Miranda Reads
My mom has a thing for owls

So, when she found a book about owls at the local library, she checked it out and we read it together over and over...and over...and over. (What can I say, I like what I like).

So, my mom bought me my very own copy back in '98 and I enjoyed having it on my shelf ever since. This is officially, my longest-running fave book.

Rereading it as an adult, I do see why I latched on to it so tightly as a kid.

The storyline is simple, repetitive but the message it sends - that a
Amanda
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This book is adorable. I think it predates Guess How Much I Love You and I prefer it over that one. Baby Owl is curious and asks lots of questions like "How many stars are there?" and "How far is the sky?" which seem like questions most little kids would ask. His mother's answer is "go look" and he finds it's a much harder question than he anticipated. I found it charming and beautiful without being overly commercialized like Guess How Much I Love You.
Cindy Sa
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Owly
In this picture book, there is a warm story about the owly and his mother. The small owly always likes to ask question to his mother. Maybe he is a questioning owly. He has many questions in his mind. One day, he asked his mother ‘’How many stars are in the sky?’’, and his mother told him to count it by himself. After he counted the stars in the sky, he told to his mother, the stars are more than he could count. The next night, the small owly asked his mother about another question ‘’How hig
Aneesa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I have a new appreciation for the genre of literature known as "predictable texts."
Cat
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a cute little tale. One of my favorites! Lovely, sweet bedtime or anytime story about an inquisitive little owl and his patient, loving mama. Illustrations are gorgeous.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, picturebook
I had thought that I was requesting the graphic novel Owly by but apparently ordered this instead. Not a bad mistake- the story is very very sweet. It would make a nice bedtime read for young children since it's short and has a bit of a repetitive refrain. Given that the illustrations are by David Wiesner, they're rather unremarkable. The execution of technique is very nice and the soft almost cartoony characters that maintain a serious tenderness are nice. The design of the book is quite ho-hum ...more
Mariel
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book still almost makes me cry. It's one my momma used to read to me all the time when I was a kid. It's about this little inquisitive owl that asks lots of questions and ends up counting lots of stuff. Then his momma tells him she loves him more than all that stuff he counted. Too cute!!
Sarah Sammis
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My son has been interested in owls since he was 18 months old.

Really sweet book about a son's curiosity and his mother's gentle encouragement.
Shiloah
Perfect core phase book. This story is a good example of a healthy learning phase and close bond between mother and child.
T Crockett
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In the same vein as Sam McBratney's Guess How Much I Love You.
Stacia
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How did this beautiful story not become a classic that’s as well known as Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny? I love it!
Amanda Walz
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
very sweet story about a parent's love and a child's curiosity.
Dolly
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about the infinite wonder of nature and our love for one another. The baby owl is so curious and his mama allows him to explore on his own to find out the answers for himself. The repetitive narrative is likely to be soothing for young children. The story is quite similar to Guess How Much I Love You, but I think we all liked this one better.

I thought it was fascinating that David Wiesner is the illustrator. The illustrations are very nicely detailed, but they do not really
Stacy
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Tamara
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I didn't have this one as a kid. I picked it up at a used bookstore because of the soft, subdued illustrations caught my eye and it seemed like a sweet story. It is sweet, and reading it with my son is enjoyable because of the pictures and the cadence of the story (great for bed time). The metaphors seem a bit of a stretch for little ones, but maybe it's laying groundwork for future understanding.
Erin
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Super cute! A very inquisitive little owl asks questions about everything. How many stars are in the sky? How many waves are on the ocean? Every time, his mother sends him out to find the answer himself. He finds that every number is too high for him to count. It all connects in the end when Owly asks his mother how many hugs she had left to give him--more than the number of waves in the ocean or stars in the sky.

Good for toddler or preschool storytimes.
Janet
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with young children around them
When my boys were little, this was my most favorite book that I would read to them at bedtime. Owly is about a young owl who keeps asking his mom questions that end up having way too many numbers for the little owl to count in a single night, such as "How many stars are in the sky?" Now that I have grandchildren, I get to enjoy reading the book all over again. I highly recommend it to everyone who reads to children.
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love this! A graphic novel about Owly and his adventures in the woods. So cute! Very few words. You tell the story to yourself. If you like this there are more in the series! (for juniors)

Series information:

The Way Home & the Bittersweet Summer
Just a Little Blue
Flying Lessons
A Time To Be Brave
Tiny Tales
Melody Wolen
Reading Level: pre-K and up, very simple words
Owly is an adorable book about an owl and his mother, Owly is inquisitive and has many questions about the world around him and his patient mother always responds. Owly is great inspiration for Mother’s Day, as a teacher you could introduce this and several other books with the same theme to give kids inspiration for Mother’s Day cards.
Diana Pettis
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a new book that Xander brought home tonight to read to me. I love Mike Thaler books so I was happy to see this one. The connection that Owly has with his mother is what kept me interested in the story.

Guided Reading Level: J, Themes: love, family, exploring
Kat
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008, picture-books
Similar to "Guess How Much I Love You" in content, but more maternal in nature. None of the one-upmanship (cute though it may be) of the hares. I got a bit misty reading it to my son, so either I'm starting to get overly sentimental or it's actually a really good book.
Rachel
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another book for owl storytime. I'd been wanting to read this one for awhile. The tiny owl is very curious about the world and asks his mother questions about the stars, sky, waves and deepness of the ocean; then he tells her he loves her and they hug. Very cute story.
Rachel
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I watched a wonderful storyteller share this - without the book since her copy was damaged - to a mesmerized audience with beautiful gestures & simple changes in her voice for Owly & the mother. Simply amazing & enchanting for sweet moments about love.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, family, love
I really enjoyed this book. Owly continually has a question for his mom, and she tries to have him find the answer for himself. I really liked the ending of the book. This book really shows the love between mother and son.
Ashley Whiteley
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I would say that this book is not meant for little children. It is not colorful and the story line is more serious. The pictures are simple and it is a good story. It is a calming book and might be good for a bedtime story!
Anna
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked this up because David Wiesner illustrated it, but the art here is not near the level I would have expected based on Wiesner's other works. It is a sweet little book, but remarkable neither in story nor in pictures.
Julia Buffington
This was a very cute book. It is a great book for younger kids in the question asking stage. Owly loves to ask questions and his mother expresses her love to him by using the answers he discovers along the way throughout the book.
Dj Colter
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cool
all pics
Finny
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mommy says: So sweet. Similar storyline to "Guess How Much I Love You," but different enough to be special and beloved.

Brenda Youngerman
Oct 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was my absolutely favorite book to read to my kids when they were little. It captures everything you would ever want to tell a child about how much you can love them.
  • Baby Bear's Books
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • Mommy Hugs
  • A Good Day
  • Brother Sun, Sister Moon: Saint Francis of Assisi's Canticle of the Creatures
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin (Classic Board Books)
  • My Teacher Sleeps in School
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee
More about Mike Thaler

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99