Start by marking “Tall” as Want to Read:
Tall

Tall

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  360 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
"A must-have title for any children who have ever felt less than enchanted with their diminutive status." - SCHOOL LIBRARY JOURNAL

When you’re a tiny chimp like Bobo, it seems that everyone else is bigger than you. Luckily, Bobo’s pals let him climb on their shoulders to give him a taste of being tall, but what if the little guy clambers too high? In this tale of very few w
Board Book, 34 pages
Published February 27th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tall

A.C. Paige
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple to use in a size theme storytime
June
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: monkey & size requests
A little chimp wants to be tall and keeps getting higher & higher, until he falls. I had a small, young crowd, but several were taken with the pictures of the animals. 8/15/12

Used again this year for my monkey lap time. 7/31/14

Chosen in PJ Story Time and used with a Monkey Puppet with real success (started with the puppet on the floor, moved to knee for stone, shoulders, & head.) and again for Lap Time. 7/21/14

Forgot to use the puppet and this didn't go over as well without it as the las
Lynn
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Perfect picture book for the beginning reader. Charming illustrations propel the story with a minimum of text - and the text is ideal for young readers just putting phonics to work.
Abby
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2, 3, 4, 5, juvenile
Tall finds a small monkey, Bobo, comparing his height to that of his jungle friends and getting rides from them to feel tall. Bobo quickly discovers the benefit of being small, however, when he falls. Featuring a grand total of five words, this is an excellent book for infants and toddlers that also includes bright and friendly illustrations. Heavily relying on images to tell the story, each image is decently large so a small-audience storytime presentation might be possible.
Amy Lafleur
One of my bosses recommended this picture book without many words to a patron whose young daughter is learning to read. Illustrations really tell the story of monkey who explores his size against those of he other jungle animals and discovers how he fits and that he's the size he's supposed to be. Cute book with simple vocabulary.
Kelly
It's a very, very simple book about a little chimp who is small, but whose friends help him get tall. Easy to follow and great illustrations.
Leslie
Shelves: pc
picturethisbook.com
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faves
As we have seen in his first book Hug, Jez Alborough excels at telling stories with minimal words — just five different words this time, to be exact. And once you look at his beautifully expressive illustrations, you will understand why: his drawings already say so much that there's really no need for words — well OK, just one per page.

In Tall, Bobo the monkey returns, and this time, instead of looking for a hug, he's now trying his best to be, well, tall.

This is a sweet story about how it's ni
Christine Ridout
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: big-winner
A strikingly simple book with few words that illustrates the complex concept of relativity. The book’s simplicity and charming drawings appeal to children of all developmental levels. Bobo, the baby monkey, has a universal wish: he wants to be tall. So, he climbs atop taller and taller animals--feeling tall on each taller one--until he’s as tall as a giraffe. But Bobo is only tall or small in relation to the animal he's standing next to. The drawings of Bobo gradually gaining height provide an o ...more
Marissa Elera
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous
Children will gleefully exclaim at the antics of Bobo the chimpanzee, who is not at all happy with being small. To remedy his situation, he climbs onto the shoulder of various taller and taller animal friends, until a topple and a tumble that sends Bobo right into Mama’s arms, where he finds that is happy being small.

Much of this title is communicated wordlessly, giving the adult reader a chance to engage in a dialogue with young attendents. The mainly visual story also gives young minds work to
ESF Tsing Yi
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jez Alborough produces humorous, exciting stories that children love, and, like Hug, "Tall" is a story of one chimp and a few words (five to be exact). This is great for talking with children about pictures and words in stories, and for encouraging children to talk about the pictures to create the story themselves (a very important pre-reading skill!). Great to use with older children to talk about growing, height and comparatives: who is taller now?
Milo
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Milo by: Papa got if from the library after seeing Bobo on the cover
I like to Bobo. I remember him from the book, Hug. I like it when his Mama comes and saves him from the fall. When I see him in this book, I want to talk about Hug. I don't really care that he wants to be tall. I just wonder why he would leave his mama again after he needed a hug. I ask my Mama, "Where is Bobo's mama?" My Mama says she is listening for him. But, this is not satisfying for me. I will look at the book with Papa and Mama, but they are the ones who pull it from the book pile.
Lanica
Neat art. Interesting idea. It didn't hold up to its potential. It is too simple, and too complex at the same time. My kids are too small to understand the idea of tall and small. While older kids would likely be put off by the lack of words. It seems like a baby book, but it's too complex for most babies. The animals are cute, but I don't think that's enough to make this book a keeper.
Rachel
I was looking for books for my Toddler Jungle Storytime. I thought this one was too simplistic, but it was cute. Bobo the little monkey just wants to be tall, so he keeps climbing on the shoulders of his friends so that he can be taller. That is, until he gets up to high and his momma has to rescue him. Then he is glad to be small. Recommended for ages 2-4, 2 stars.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Featuring the rhyming words: tall, small and fall this largely wordless text illustrates every young child’s need to feel big yet supported by friends and family. Young children will delight in the variety of tales you can spin with these illustrations and the discussion generated as they tell their own version of the story.
Aimee
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It's very simple. There are only 5 different words in the entire book, but it would be a great book if you were working on the concept of tall and small. The monkey in the story is adorable, and while walking through the jungle he meets animals that he compares himself to in terms of size. Great pictures, and a great way to introduce the concept of height.
Susan
Amanda
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is a fun book for my 3 1/2 y/o because there are only 4 words (maximum, no joke) in the whole thing and he can read them all. It's also a concept he's familiar with- being small next to many who are tall. Fun for early readers.
Miss Sarah
I would have liked more text here but I get that is not the concept. A monkey goes through the jungle saying he is small and then being lifted by a bigger animal to be tall. Heavy use of pictures toddler and up.
Libby
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it
My 23-mo-old son really liked this. I think it would be great for a child who can't sit through much text, as there is hardly any and the pictures are cute. I definitely got bored reading it over and over, but if my son likes it, that's why I'm reading it, right?
Kelly
Nov 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Illustrated by the author. A nearly wordless picture book comparing "tall" and "small". I'll be using it for my "Start with Math" program and I think kids will like it. The illustrations are quite sweet and all the animals seem friendly :)
Shelli
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Jez Alborough makes the most simple yet fantastic picture books for early readers or listeners. This adorable book only features 5 different words yet the characters personalities come through with each page.
Rachel
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I was looking for Mother Goose time books, and while it isn't quite right for that (in my opinion) it was still a lot of fun. This book is kind a first look at graphic novels.
Kid
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool, toddler
Miles (3.5) loves this book. I got it from the library and he wanted it every night for a week. Funny and sweet.
Ubalstecha
A very sweet book about relative sizes and accepting the size you are. Simple three word text and lots of repetition makkes this a hit with little kids.
Erika
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We love Jex Alborough
Serge Smagarinsky
Puts the old adage "be careful what you wish for" into practice. The resolution could have been stronger.
Tracy
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another almost wordless picture book, and it shows the difference between small and tall. I agree, that it is a good beginning to read book. Plus the pictures are fun.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ten on the Sled
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Bang! Boom! Roar! A Busy Crew of Dinosaurs
  • Big Fat Hen
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Ah Ha!
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Ten in the Bed
Jez Alborough is the author-illustrator of the picture-book charmer HUG, his first book about Bobo. He has also created many other celebrated books for children, including SOME DOGS DO — a story about a dog who can fly — and the best-selling Eddie and the Bear books: WHERE'S MY TEDDY?, IT'S THE BEAR!, and MY FRIEND BEAR. Of TALL, he says, "Bobo experiences feeling small as well as feeling tall, bu ...more
More about Jez Alborough