Start by marking “Detroit Noir” as Want to Read:
Detroit Noir

Detroit Noir

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews

From crime stories in the classic hard-boiled style to the vividly experimental, from the determination of those risking everything to the desperation of those with nothing left to lose, Detroit Noir delivers unforgettable tales that capture the city’s dark vitality.

Published November 1st 2007 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Detroit Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detroit Noir

THE
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
In 2004, the small New York publisher Akashic launched a very clever series of books emphasizing original noir fiction associated with particular cities and regions. It has now reached at least 41 with many more on the way. Every place has its dark side--some more than others--but the idea was attractive to those of us who wished to see their hometowns or favorite sites cast within the noir genre. I guess it is no mystery what my hometown was or why I might be interested in some of my former ven ...more
Christie Bane
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detroit looks best in noir, and I love this book of Detroit stories. Reviews were really mixed. It seems like a lot of people didn't like the writing (or didn't like most of the writing; it's an anthology). Well, I liked ALL of the writing, because it gave me the right feeling. It somehow managed to capture what I feel is the spirit of Detroit. I've only lived here 4 1/2 years, and I don't live in Detroit although I spend a lot of time there, so my take may or may not be accurate, but I can say ...more
Jeffrey
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
From the Motor City's finest talents including Joyce Carol Oates and Megan Abbott comes this excellent, dark collection of short stories all taking place in and around Detroit.

Being from Dearborn, a suburb of that troubled city, I was delighted to recall such familiar places like Woodward Avenue, the Rouge Foundry, and the J.L. Hudson department store.

The stories encompass waitresses, night watchmen, caretakers and criminals, all bound together by a city trying to find it's way back.

The collecti
Patty
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin10
Some wonderful short stories that all take place somewhere in Detroit. The collection of writers were all from Detroit and included some noteables....Loren Estleman, Joyce Carol Oates, Craig Holden, Desiree Cooper from NPR, and my favorite, Michael Zadoorian. A great accumulation of memories of what Detroit used to be and the complex reality of what is today.
Kevin Barney
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Some solid stories in here. All of them are in here, but are all of them noir?
David
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Deciding between three and four stars on this one is tough. Admittedly, I don't read a whole lot of short story compilations. This must have been my first in about a decade.

That said, I really got into three quarters of the stories. While the setting was always somewhere in the Detroit area, the time changed with each story. Figuring out when the story was taking place was a fun task parallel with enjoying the story.

I'm not certain if it's a fault of the stories themselves, or of the length of t
Kirk
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories about my hometown. Overall, it was hit or miss: some were quite good, others were not. For me the most interesting aspect of this book is seeing the commonalities across stories, which I think really speaks to the culture of the city. Sadly, Detroit's authors define the city through pervasive awareness of racial and class divides and a constant sense of destitution and decay. I moved away from Detroit eight years ago, and this book reminded me of the many problems s ...more
Tuxlie
Jul 29, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: crime

Includes stories by: Joyce Carol Oates, Loren D. Estleman, Craig Holden, P.J. Parrish, Desiree Cooper, Nisi Shawl, M.L. Liebler, Craig Bernier, Joe Boland, Megan Abbott, Dorene O’Brien, Lolita Hernandez, Peter Markus, Roger K. Johnso

Columbus
Jul 09, 2009 rated it did not like it
Akashic I'm ashamed of you for publishing such an uninspiring, lackluster, pedestrian selection of noir stories such as this. I've read the much better Kingston (Jamaica) noir series and two or three others and the quality was much better. I have Oakland, Mississippi, Rio and San Juan in my possession and hopefully they are an improvement over this collection. The motor city deserved better.
Patrick C.
Nov 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is my first book in the Noir Series from Akashic Noir, and I enjoyed it. The short stories from a variety of writers, most with ties to Detroit go well beyond the mystery genre, but they all capture a sense of Detroit....

I'll miss having these short stories at hand for the quick diversionary read.

I'll definitely look into other books in this series.
pearl_seeker
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Of the 16 short stories in this book, I found 12 of them really well-written and only 2 of them awful. The other 2 were average. Although it's not necessary to be familiar with Detroit to enjoy the stories, knowing the neighborhoods in which they're set enables the reader to paint a more vivid story in her/his mind. If you enjoy short stories, this is a book well worth looking into.
Marcy Heller
Feb 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Great writers whose stories may entice as they're set in places such as Palmer Woods, Grosse Pointe, and the freeways and streets we know, but such dismal, dark and hopeless stories. There's a whole series of these short-story collections set in many cities--too bad.
Rachael
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Perhaps gained a little more interest in the book being a local of Detroit, but that wasn't enough sadly. Certainly some of the short stories were on point, some however, seemed to be missing the noir element and couldn't hold my attention.
Heather
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of unrelated short stories, and I just generally have a harder time reading these kinds of books. However it was very interesting to read about Detroit, with familiar landmarks involved. The stories were pretty good, and all had some definite "noir" undertones.
Joan
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Many of these stories could take place in any city, however the ones that apply to Detroit are wonderful like the Motown story. I wanted to know more about the characters and stories at the end of each short story. This book does not really allow to reader to know Detroit.
Jen
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it
interesting read - lots of short stories with different perceptions on the detroit of the past and the present - specific to intersections and neighborhoods
Whikmn
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting info about Detroit in the intro, going from the great city it once was to a virtual ghost town. The short stories give you a real flavor for the city.
George
Nov 04, 2007 rated it liked it
As with any anthology your going to have some hits and some misses. The Craig Bernier and Roger K. Johnson stories are definite highlights...
Vali
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh...
Kiah
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Exploring the dark streets of Detroit Rock City through short story noir....
Woody Chandler
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The retro stories suggest that no one saw the demise of the American auto industry or else they were in deep denial.
Karen Lewis
I liked it. I went to Detroit often in the 50's s it was interesting to compare to what I remembered from that time.
Spencer
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. A few of the stories were excellent; others didn't seem to go anywhere. Better than Miami Noir, but not as good as Lone Star Noir. Oh well.
Stephanie
Nov 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'll be checking out more of these!!!
Kirsten
May 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Native Detroiters - Fans of noir fiction
Recommended to Kirsten by: Browsing at Borders
Shelves: fiction
I really liked many of the stories in this book, others were bearable. Always - enjoy the local backdrop when you can get it.
Jay
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Some stories are excellent. The majority, however, are not memorable.
Steve Larson
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: social
Born and bred so it was very touching. Detroit is a tough place and the stories here highlight the goods and bands of such an environment.
Chris Tolen
Great short detective stories set in Detroit. As the title implies, this IS noir!
Deena
Aug 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Grim but true to the real struggles of Detroit.
Trashcity77