Start by marking “The 10 Best of Everything: An Ultimate Guide for Travelers (National Geographic the Ten Best of Everything)” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From Arnold Palmer's ten finest golf courses to Luciano Pavarotti's ten favorite opera houses to the ten poshest train trips, classiest wristwatches, most atmospheric pubs, and much more, this is a blue-chip bible to delight any traveler for whom only the very best will do—and a rich dreambook for those of us still waiting for our own ships to come in.

Compiled by vetera
Published March 21st 2006 by National Geographic

To ask other readers questions about The 10 Best of Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 10 Best of Everything

Lorraine
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys travel to everywhere doing everything!
What a phenomenal book!! Every time I pick it up to read, I find a new area, subject, item, city, sport, or hobbie to check out. National Geographic touches on everything or just about everything plus it is just plain fun to read. Next step - to go to all these places and do all these things! A dynamite book!!

Marian
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes you want to travel the world--
Genesis.P.Gates
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the structure of this book. It is easy to read and excited to read.
I do realize some of the 10 best are subjective and I could not agree. For example. The best sport event is not Olympic but Le Mas. I know nothing about Le Mas and I am pretty sure TV audience of Olympic is much bigger than a sport car event. It is just my opinion. It is always hard for me to understand why people watching car race for more then 10 hours. What's the fun of it.
Sonja Isaacson
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I like the theory of the book - lists of ten. Lists are my friend and 10 is neither too large nor too small. However, not being a uber-wealthy jet-setter, I end up being depressed that I am unlikely to even "check off" 10% of what's in here. Ever. I recognize the same problem with the (x number) Places to See books, HOWEVER those have a slight edge to me since those books are often set up much better to help you find what to do when you have a particular destination. This book is set up regardin ...more
LINDA
Jun 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
This book annoyed me. I understand that it is just a gimmick, the whole 10 best list thing, but over 400 pages of top 10's way way too much bullsh*t for me. Really, how could you call out the best 10 of anything unless you have been/seen everything in that category?

The only things that I found to be of any use in this book were a listing the Ten Best Beaches. (They may not actually be the 10 best, but at the probably are pretty good to have made the list.)

p 43 Seychelles, Maldives, Bora Bora- T
Jill Hutchinson
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a fun down-time read to be picked up at leisure. Written for National Geographic by a father and son team of veteran travelers, it covers about anything you ever wanted to know about where to go, where to stay, where to eat, and what to buy when you are there. Granted, there are some sections that will not be of interest to all but just skim through them and go to the next chapter.....something good will be waiting there. (I have to admit I skipped the sections on mountain climbing and p ...more
Nick
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful compilation for browsing, daydreaming over, and arguing with. The lists of chocolate, cameras, cigars, hotels, trains, and national parks are interspersed with stories from the authors, the Landes, who have apparently been everywhere and done everything, usually with the founder, owner, or world's expert at.... The story of the Bolshoi Ballet chair that one of the Landes spirited out of Soviet Russia is worth the price of the book on its own. Great way to while away a few hou ...more
Kimberly Ann
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chocolate
Ok: Who says? What makes this person's account better than anyone else's?

Living in L.A.: why is Langer's Deli better than Canter's? Why is La Brea Bakery rated so high? Why Starbucks? Why Yellowstone as a "landmark" and not The Statue of Liberty or Empire State Building? How can the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Chocolatiers be American?

None-the-less it is an interesting book. I did learn about cigars, I remember the Perfumes he spoke about from my childhood, Trains & Road trips.....
Nancy Monson
It's all right for someone else's opinion of the "10 Best." There are top ratings on everything from food to travel destinations to sports. To be honest, I think everyone can decide for themselves what tops their own lists. But it is interesting to see what someone else thinks everyone else should think.
Kelly
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Lots of nice little easter eggs for a wide variety of places, but it bugs me that the 10 Best Beers in the world are made in the USA (no) and Belgian (pretty good), but skipped Germany.
Shanshad Whelan
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting half-hour skim, but there's plenty of argument over what signifies "best". Feels a little elitist, but maybe that's the point of it.
Susan B
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
excellent design
amy
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wonder if any of these tidbits will ever come in handy for me?? Somehow I doubt it....
Patricia