Start by marking “The Value of Believing in Yourself: The Story of Louis Pasteur” as Want to Read:
The Value of Believing in Yourself: The Story of Louis Pasteur

The Value of Believing in Yourself: The Story of Louis Pasteur

(ValueTales Series)

Retells the story of Louis Pasteur, whose unwavering belief in the concept of germs led to a cure for rabies.
Published 1975 by Value Communications

To ask other readers questions about The Value of Believing in Yourself, please sign up.
Briar Because that isn't the purpose of Goodreads - this is a website for collating lists of what you have read or plan to read, and for reviewing books.

Start your review of The Value of Believing in Yourself: The Story of Louis Pasteur
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Holy moly, talk about a time warp! This was almost like reading a book from another time, even as a kid I knew the art was dated, but it was given to me as a gift and I enjoyed the story.
Jonadia
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Fantastic, highly recommendable series, just not this particular book (although I still have fond memories of reading it as a child!)
On the whole, I love these types of books; they made history, science, and important life lessons come alive for myself and so many young readers. On that front, they continue to accomplish much good. This particular book in the series was enthralling for me as a child. HOWEVER, as much as I hate to say this, I feel like I have to; this particular book could litera
C.G. Fewston
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a kid and remember it fondly, and will have to revisit it with my children.
Kend
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the age of pandemic, it’s important to keep books on hand for curious kiddos about the risks of disease and the invaluable benefits (AKA survival) associated with dedicated scientific research therein. In THE VALUE OF BELIEVING IN YOURSELF: THE STORY OF LOUIS PASTEUR, Spencer Johnson and Steve Pileggi were somewhat ahead of the curve in filling our present-day need for these books. Published in 1976 (a year so remote to today’s children it makes me feel every sprain and ache of my ancient mil ...more
Tabitha
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I had as a kid. Thinking about explaining the corona virus with kids made the book come to mind. This book is about Louis Pasteur and working on something that matters to you whether anyone else thinks your goal is achievable or not.

The intention was clearly to encourage kids to be persistent, optimistic and gain the moral values the story portrays that the historical figure had. The Value Tales stories are fictionalized stories about real people. The end of each book contain
Holly
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I had this series of books when I was a kid, and I have really fond memories of them. I found a few updated versions of the stories and now read them to my kids. They actually ask for them pretty frequently. They each include an "inner voice" that speaks to the main character and encourages them to use positive values and traits in their lives. This story about Louis Pasteur isn't my favorite, but it does give kids some idea of the incredible achievements of Pasteur and his discoveries, which ha ...more
Lyndon Moore
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a little boy and it had a profound impact on me. Most people know that Louis Pasteur invented the process of pasteurization, but most don’t realize he created a cure for rabies!

You feel so bad for the little boy who gets bitten by a dog! And Louis wants to help him so badly. The book does an incredible job of explaining in very simple but imaginative pictures that a shot of medication can make you feel better!
Kristina
These were my books as a child and now my child is asking me to read them to him.

While peppered with some fantasy, the basics are generally accurate and the final page of each book in this series is full of non-fiction facts on the character the story is about.
Misbah
The story of Louis Pasteur and how he worked hard and believed in himself when no one else did. His work played of and his vaccine was able to save a boy from dying of Rabies.

Very inspirational!
Aishwarya Lohi
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The most feel-good book I have read in a while. Beautifully illustrated and concise.
Maria Gross
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child. And now, I love reading the same copy to my kids! It’s just as much a feel-good book as it is educational!
Erin
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite children's book, this is about Louis Pasteur and his attempt to find a cure for rabies.
Jim A
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
My favorite book when I was a kid. My mom recently told me she thought it was weird that it was my favorite
GlutenFreePixels
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A story about believing in yourself and vaccinating your children. Two very important lessons.
Danielle
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book helped me understand (From a kid's eye view) how vaccines and infections work.
Mason Metzger
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sandy
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Louis Pasteur knew he could find a cure for Rabies and he did. This book details one mans determination, his contributions to society and science and the value of persistence.
Chad
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My grandmother, who passed away earlier this evening, subscribed to the Value Books series of which this book is a part, when I was in first grade or so - mainly because she knew how much I loved to read them. So, when a new book would come each month, she'd make sure I knew about it right away and I'd go off to the office/reading room in their house to dive into it. The first series of books I ever loved to read by myself, and still remember fondly to this day, despite not seeing them in at lea ...more
DeLaina
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to DeLaina by: my mom and dad
Shelves: children-s-lit
So, my parents bought these "books of the month" when I was about 9, and LOVED them. Each book illustrates a different characteristic (kindness, hard work, believing in yourself etc.) by showcasing a different historical figure who displayed that characteristic.

For example, The Value of Believing in Yourself is about Louis Pasteur and how he worked to make the rabies vaccine even though nobody believed there were invisible "microbes" in our bodies that made us sick.

They are historically accura
Rachel Clark
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good story about Louis Pasteur and his development of the first rabies vaccine, highlighting his belief in himself that prevented him from giving up trying before he succeeded. However, the story could have been much better if the author, a medical doctor themselves, had been more detailed and truthful with the explanation Pasteur in the story gave to his young patient about how the vaccine would work, instead of having him tell the boy it contained "Magical Soldiers" that would get in ...more
Shayla
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This story is about Louis Pasteur, and how he made the rabies vaccine even though everyone made fun of him and told him he could not do it. A young boy in Germany gets bitten by a rabid dog, and his family take him to Louis, and Louis cures the boy.
This book is amazing! It's all about believing in yourself even if others do not support you. If you know you can do something to help change the world, do it.
I would use this book with my children because it has a good moral lesson that they could l
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
With cartoony illustrations and stripped down stories the ValueTales Series of books use imaginitive devices to introduce young readers to historical figures and the personal attributes that helped them make a difference in their worlds.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Carmen
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the most influential books in my life! Pasteur was a rebel and he really helped my little eighth-year-old self out. The series is now out of print but you can find them on Amazon or Ebay, there is quite a market for them now as people who grew up with the books are looking to get copies for their kids. They should just reprint this entire series...The Cochise edition was really good too!
Natasha
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
I remember I read this book at my Grandma's... About 9 or so years ago. I didn't like this book. To me, it was about a boy being attacked by a vicious dog (strike one) who then had to be taken to a doctor who presented a needle that was THIS LONG (the size of a ruler, I think - strike two) that was filled with tiny soldiers to go inside the boy (strike three) and kill the bacteria. The idea didn't settle with me.

Nevertheless, I plan to read this again.
Jen
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, so the dog and the the Magic Soldiers are creepy as all get-out, but the story is fantastic for little kids. It's engaging, it's fast-paced, it addressed the kids without talking down to them, and it delivers a very interesting adult story without being stilted. The page at the back of Historical Information makes Adult Me want to track down a good bio of Pasteur (anyone know one?). Very good for teaching a young 'un without making the experience preachy or dull.
Angela
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents with children between the ages of 2 and 18
Recommended to Angela by: My mom
This is just one book of the whole set of Value books. They are very useful to young children. I grew up with it. It not only taught me about the values of determination, believing in yourself, and curiosity, but it built my background knowledge of historical figures that everyone should know about.
May Ling
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I absolutely remember this story. I can even visualize the illustrations of poor Pasteur and no one believing in that there were single cell organisms that existed and were making people sick. I always got this correct on tests and understood the pasteurization process at a very early age. I highly recommend the entire series for parents who wish to raise nerdy kids.
Kate
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a child, and I decided to read it again as an adult. It is such a wonderful book for children. The book is very short read (for an adult), and only 62 pages. I love that The Value of Believing in Yourself encourages children to think independently, and to always believe in themselves. The book is from a series that belongs on every family's bookshelf.
Alicia
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVED this book, I must've read it a billion times, it was so influential. Learning about Pasteur in microbiology now and all I can think about is this book. They should republish it, let the children of today learn to love it too. It's actually really inspiring for a children's book. 5 stars!
Gretchen
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite growing up. I am such a nerd. I just found it in a box in the attic and can't wait to read it to Junior. The illustrations are actually kind of messed up for a children's book- like a rabid dog foaming at the mouth...??! But that's part of the charm.

• The Seven Chinese Brothers
  • The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature
  • Little Critter: Just a Baby Bird
  • Who Carved the Mountain?: The Story of Mount Rushmore
  • Take a Hike, Teddy Roosevelt!
  • The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus
  • Hanging Off Jefferson's Nose: Growing Up On Mount Rushmore
  • When Sue Found Sue: Sue Hendrickson Discovers Her T. Rex
  • Amelia Bedelia Is for the Birds
  • Plant the Tiny Seed
  • George Washington's Breakfast
  • M is for Mount Rushmore: A South Dakota Alphabet (Discover America State By State Alphabet Series)
  • Teedie: The Story of Young Teddy Roosevelt
  • I Am George Washington
  • The Camping Trip That Changed America: Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir, and Our National Parks
  • Ruby's Wish
  • Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes
  • Why Do Tigers Have Stripes?

Spencer Johnson, M.D. left behind a medical career to write short books about life. The most famous was “Who Moved My Cheese?" published in 1998. The book became a publishing phenomenon and a workplace manual. Over 50 million copies of Spencer Johnson’s books are in use worldwide in 47 languages.

Dr. Johnson's

ValueTales Series (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Value of Truth and Trust: The Story of Cochise