Start by marking “The Medici Curse” as Want to Read:
The Medici Curse

The Medici Curse

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  158 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
She was the most beautiful girl Arnaldo had ever seen.

In Renaissance Florence, a young painter visits Lorenzo de Medici's palace to paint his beautiful daughter, Alessandra.

In present-day Italy, Maria, a young English girl, is drawn to an unremarkable painting but begins to discover an extraordinary picture underneath.

Why is the painter secretly armed with a dagger? Wha
Published May 3rd 2007 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Medici Curse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Medici Curse

Gianna
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
“She was the most beautiful girl Arnaldo had ever seen”

Rainaissance Florence; Arnaldo visits the house of the Medici in order to paint the portrait of Lorenzo The Magnificent’s daughter. What he doesn’t expect is the beauty and the character that lies beneath her face. But the Medici is a powerful family, and Alessandra de Medici is already betrothed to a powerful man.

Florence, present. Maria discovers a beautiful painting underneath a mediocre drawing. Strange things start happening around her
Kayra Guven
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. I loved how the book was based on two different times. One now, and the other in the past. It was a really enjoyable book.
Will Thornton-Reid
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really nice story very much enjoyed it. Helped that we were in Florence last week and saw some of the locations so I could imagine it / visualise it better.

Good story line and well written.
C.Moody
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Never had I thought I would want to read a book like this-one centered around deep and (what I thought at first was) boring history. However, this novel was actually anything but. This book was SUCH a fun read. First of all, it contained crazy plot twists (UHM HELLO MARIE'S DAD "KILLING" ZAPPINI?! MAJOR SHOCKER). Second of all, the two stories integrated in one novel was so exciting. I loved reading the tragic story of Alessandra and Arnoldo, while also being witness to the tumultuous, chaotic, ...more
Aliscen Khaw
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
With a nice book summary at the back and a rather intersting cover, you'd thought this book would be a good read.....boy did it miss a lot of marks....but at least the plot was interesting, the only thing big problem that i had was the way it was arrange and the pace of the story. At times you can pretty much predict what's going to happen and you will find yourself skipping many parts of the sentences, which isn't very engaging when you read books. I swear i skipped soooo many parts of the book ...more
Tosca Wijns-Van Eeden
The book is for a bit younger public and tells the story of star-crossed lovers in 15th century Florence and the continuing story happening in these times. It all involves this one painting.
What I did like, as an art historian myself, was a little bit more about the restauration of the painting. What really bothered me was the misuse of the last name of the de' Medici family.
Lorenzo de' Medici was constantly called 'Medici' throughout the book.

It is a book of fiction, including a few actual his
Emma
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book... while it wasn't the best thing I've ever read, it wasn't the worst by a long shot. Though the setting, characters and plot were cliché and very predictable, there was still something lovely about it that kept me reading and wanting to know how the story progressed. Ultimately though, anyone above fifteen-ish probably won't enjoy this book nearly as much as a slightly younger audience would do.
Rebekka-Mary Darling
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did.
It was a little predictable but I kept reading anyway because the story was so 'cute'. It is for the younger audience, though I only read it last year when I was 20.
I really think everyone should give this book a go. I read it in a couple of hours.
Anna Walls
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was expecting a historical-fiction book, and it's not. It's very predictable, I ended up skipping paragraphs. The love story could have been more interesting and deep, but it was just a basic platonic and kind of superficial love story. However, I loved the idea of the painting behind the painting.
Morgan Duplechin
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The plot was amazing! I loved how the past and present combined in this book into a mystery filled with action, love, and a curse that has lasted for centuries. I never wanted to stop reading this book and I couldn't stop thinking about it every time I put it down. This book should be wayyyyy more popular than it is.
Charlotte
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I read this, I remember absolutely loving it! What's more, after having spent an amazing week in Florence with my classmates only a bit more than a year earlier, and having loved studying the Renaissance period, this book reminded me of that city I fell in love with (yes, even at the young age of 12).
Nunzia
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Bought this book on my second-to-last day in Florence and managed to finish it on a 5 hour train ride to Rome. Fantastic writing! I was hooked from the first page. History buffs (especially Renaissance buffs) will love this book!
Georgia
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The writing is beautiful and clear, the plot was great, the characters are very easy to love and the theory and history behind it is brilliant. All ages can read this and appreciate it, it was just a lovely story to get lost in.
5 out of 5 stars :)
Muphyn
I give up. I've only managed it to CD 2 but I'm just not interested and life is too short to read / listen to books that are boring you to tears.
Mariska
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Loved this book, thestory was simply amaging, what i would not have given to be lived like that
Michael Meeuwisse
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Very basic
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Entertaining.
Niamh
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Very easy read, felt like I'd read it before as the story is very predictable. Saying that it was still a good holiday read.
Dennise Rodriguez
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
GREAT BOOK!! If you like tragic love stories go ahead, You'll love it!
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Darcy
Oct 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Scribes from Alexandria (Roman Mysteries, #15)
  • The Falconer's Knot: A Story of Friars, Flirtation and Foul Play
  • How the Sphinx Got to the Museum
  • The Nearly Girl (TimeRiders, #3.5)
  • The Sacred Bee in Ancient Times and Folklore
  • The Painting
  • Giambattista Bodoni: His Life and His World
  • Shalott (Shalott, #1)
  • Venice: Lion City: The Religion of Empire
  • The Icon
  • Marguerite Makes a Book
  • Never After
  • Lost Girls (Drake Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Faberge's Eggs: The Extraordinary Story of the Masterpieces That Outlived an Empire
  • Image on the Edge: The Margins of Medieval Art
  • The Dreamer, Volume 2
  • At the Sign of the Sugared Plum (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #1)
  • Shattered

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)