Start by marking “Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk” as Want to Read:
Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk

Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk

No risk, pay the cost.Know risk, reap the rewards.In our risk-avoidance culture, we place a high premium on safety. We insure our vacations. We check crash tests on cars. We extend the warranties on our appliances. But by insulating ourselves from the unknown—the risks of life—we miss the great adventure of living our lives to their full potential.Ben Carson spent his chil ...more
Published December 19th 2007 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Take the Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take the Risk

Start your review of Take the Risk: Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk
Adrienna
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Ben Carson discussions are about his neuroscientific experiences, and how he lost some of his clients in OR, but still relies on God to help him save lives. How we have to take risks?
1. Everything is Risky
2. More we know, more we worry
3. A lot of risks aren't worth the worry
4. we can't eliminate all risk
5. minimizing risk is oten the best we can do
6. acceptable risks
7. not all risks are bad
8. all going to die

Furthermore, he speaks about his life in Detroit like he did in his other book "The Big
Joel
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very well written perspective of the risks most of us face in our everyday lives. Dr. Carson offers a professional spin on risk taking. He is among the neurosurgeons on a team who in 2003 attempted to separate a pair of Iranian twins conjoined at the head. The twins were 29 years old and old enough to accept their choice to be separated as a calculated risk. Ultimately, the risk they took ended in hemorrhaging, organ failures, and death. However, it could've been easily seen as a risk worth taki ...more
Victor Nyachieo
Another Great book I read this year was “Taking the Risk” by Ben Carson.
When we look at today’s culture we see a world of people who like to play it safe, who like to do just enough to get by. In the book by Ben Carson he teaches you how to take risks, not the life threatening risks like jumping of a building and seeing if you can land the jump, but the risks that take you to a high level of success.
Prior to the writing of this book, Carson was approached with a lot of questions about whethe
Jeanette
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: living, non-fiction
World Renown paedatric neurosurgeon Ben Carson gives his approach to assessing risk using gripping examples from his own "at-risk" childhood, his personal life and professional career - especially with ground breaking operations such as separating cranial co-joined twins. There is no doubt that Ben Carson knows something about risk taking!

Many of his examples of risk assessment and risk taking overlap content in his previous books, however I appreciated these practical and gripping examples of
Patrick
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I learned of Ben Carson after my daughter was encouraged by her teacher to watch the made for TV movie about Dr Carson, with Cuba Gooding Jr in the starring role. Shortly thereafter I saw this book at Costco, and bought it.

The book is part motivation and part autobiography.

If there was ever an 'at risk' youth, it would be Carson. Growing up with his brother in a single parent home, with an illiterate mother, in a very poor and violent neighborhood in inner city Detroit, Carson was a poor studen
Anitra
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book really has me rethinking my current path. By doing his simple BWA, you can bargain on whatever risk you encounter easily. I really enjoyed the experiences embedded in this book and I had a hard time putting it down. I was most moved by his inclusion of faith in taking risks. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is at a crossroads in life and contemplating risks. It will make you view them through an new light and not become paralyzed by fear of risks.
Jonathan Linquist
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Though occasionally repetitive on the B/WA, I found this book to be extremely encouraging in not just my physical life, but also my spiritual life. He drives home the point that nothing good in life comes without risk and Ben Carson offers a logical and simple solution of the B/WA. This book shows that in a society where not taking risks is becoming the norm, many won't reach their full potential in any discipline because of their fear of the possibilities of failure.

Gelu Contiu
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
First of all it is about the author - do google Ben Carson's biography.
This book can help when it comes to taking risky decisions. It provides a simple framework for balancing the options by taking into considerations a few factors. It dives into a simple and common sense discussion of childhood, education, spirituality, the practice of medicine and on learning how to approach situations such that an acceptable risk can be taken and why everybody should do that (including children). It also appr
Kirsten
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"odds that you will die at some point in your life: 1 in 1. thus, you might say the greatest, most significant, and universal risk factor in death is being born. this implies that it really isn't very helpful to approach the subject of risk by focusing on how we might die; rather, it's far wiser to consider how we should live and what risks we will live with."

"far better is it to dare mighty things than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much." - t. roosevelt

"it al
Fred & Marlene
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is absolutely one the best books on risk you will ever read. Dr. Carson is a world famous brain surgeon that had very humble beginnings in the slums of Detroit. Raised by an illiterate mother, when his grades started to fall, she made Ben and his brother read two books a week and give her the report. This sparked his thirst for knowledge and made him cool in the classroom.

He shares his best/worst analysis to analyzing risk. What is the Best/Worst thing that can happen if I do this? What is
Christopher M.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a very interesting book on risk-assessment, presented as an autobiography. The first few chapters I found to be particularly engaging and compelling, as we see an at-risk child become an accomplished neurosurgeon. The rest of the book travels through Carson's life and professional career, helping to justify his assertion about the best way to determine what are acceptable types and levels of risk. The topics covered seemed at times to have a bit of an agenda, and were often hodge-podgey ...more
Vallentino J. Rehatta
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
The 4th book of Dr. Benjamin Carson, a famous neurosurgeon and director of pediatric neurosurgery department at John Hopkins Hospital Baltimore telling me about how to take a risk when no one be able to do that.

He tell stories about several operation procedure that he and his team perform in the effort of saving children who severe condition in their brain. And he admit God involve in each of his work, after he give it up to the higher Creator.

Its a must to read this, especially for those who in
Chris
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm going through my old books and notice that my book mark in this one is on the last chapter so I assume I didn't finish this book. I didn't think it was great at the time I read it. I probably won't give it another chance. I think it could've been a decent enough essay or long article, but as a book I remember thinking it was pretty redundant. Sure, go ahead and read it if you can borrow it or buy it cheap. Otherwise, find someone's quality review of it and you'll probably get the idea.
Rachael
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting look at the implications of being a culture that has attempted eradicate any type of risk. Where's the adventure in that?
Marie
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Not a literary masterpiece, but offers sound advice and a formula for making decisions.
B. Ellis
I’d like share about what has become one of my favorite books, written by someone who has become one of my favorite people: Take the Risk, by Dr. Ben Carson.

If you aren’t familiar with Dr. Carson, it won’t take long to understand how he has made my list of heroes. He grew up very poor, raised in Detroit with his brother by a single mom who couldn’t read. When his mother required her boys to read and report on two books a week, Ben went from the “dumbest kid in the class” to one of the brightest
Bill Herrick
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've read by Ben Carson and I am glad that it was. He has a very interesting story about how he went from rags to riches and I felt that it inspired me to reach for my dreams. His risk analysis is very practical and I feel that one can use it in almost every situation they encounter in life.

I feel like most of this book was about certain obstacles that he encountered throughout his life and how got through them. He was able to come to the right decisions by doing his ris
Rachel
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
What I liked: I liked the section where he discussed evolution vs creationism, he put across very eloquently the assertion that believing in evolution requires faith as much as believing in creationism does. His work as a medical scientist is also pretty cool.

What I didn't like: his life seemed a little bit more like a load of lucky breaks than just sound risk analysis - he was given more opportunities than most and seized them, and his experiences are not representative of most people's (and s
Mike Ncube
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Ben Carson is one of my favourite authors and I’ve read most of his books. His books are inspirational and full of ideas on how to increase your knowledge and value to society.

In ‘Take the Risk” he reveals how taking a risk is a necessary part of being successful in life.

He provides many examples from his medical history, politics, business, economics and life in general on the importance of calculated risk taking. He provides a template that one can use to assess each decision to decide on what
Zoki Hizoke
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life is all about taking the risk. Ben Carson shared with us how we should learn to identify, choose, and live with the acceptable risk that we choose in our lives. Even though the genre is out of my comfort zone, it was very interesting and kept me engaged with it. I really liked how he went through everything and break it into small pieces, giving out real-life examples and data for us to understand what risk is and how to handle it. I would recommend this book to anyone who is afraid of takin ...more
Samuel Adetiran
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life is all about taking risks. If you will live life to its fullest and make impact to the uttmost, then you cannot avoid taking risks. In this book Ben Carson through his numerous personal experience as a neurosurgeon and family man shares how to analyze a risk situation through what he calls the B/WA (Best/worst analysis) and how to take calculated risks in life.
ReadbookNG
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life is all about risk and the better you understand this the best for you to have a thriving life. Dr Ben Carson helps us understand what risk are and their roles in our lives. He goes on to provide a model for analyzing any risk and then making the best decision about them.

It is time to reach your potentials in life and taking the necessary risk is one way to make great success.
Karen
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Very helpful and inspirational. He has a very simple but effective advise/technique on how to evaluate and make decisions weighting the risks or doing it or not doing it. Very applicable to everyday life. I just really enjoy reading Dr. Carson's books !
John
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was interesting and covers parts of Ben Carson's life which is always interesting to me! I was looking for tips on handling risk and what was given in the book was a basic framework to analyse and approach decisions or risk. That's the main thing I got from this book.
Camilo Zuluaga Borda
Life is risky but there are some opportunities in life in which you can accomplish a lot if you really think about your decision and the rewards this can provide. Ben shares many of the most difficult decisions he has made, how he evaluates risk and potential Risk/Reward.
Isaiah
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Carson gives a simple but helpful framework that clarifies difficult decisions. This autobiographical material, which includes many examples, illuminates the concepts for easy understanding.
Kweku Ananse Mansoh
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We cannot eliminate all risks. We are good at managing them and having a good take on life with a love of and from God.
Rafael Suleiman
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great self help book from the acclaimed surgeon, Dr. Ben Carson.
Jennyfer Galdino
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
A very honest book about taking risks and using the Pascal's wager in the neurosurgical practice and in life.
APRIL LAMBERT
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eye Opening Occupation!?
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Steps to Christ
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Forever My Saint (All The Pretty Things #3)
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
  • On the Run
  • The Mark on the Door (The Hardy Boys, #13)
  • The Mummy Case (Hardy Boys, #63)
  • Footprints Under the Window (The Hardy Boys, #12)
  • The Hidden Harbor Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #14)
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • The Circus of Adventure (Adventure, #7)
  • The Ship of Adventure (Adventure, #6)
  • The Island of Adventure (Adventure, #1)
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States by President George W. Bush in 2008.