Start by marking “Fire Study (Study, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fire Study (Study, #3)

Fire Study

(Poison Study #3)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  50,059 ratings  ·  3,647 reviews
The apprenticeship is over—now the real test has begun.

When word that Yelena is a Soulfinder—able to capture and release souls—spreads like wildfire, people grow uneasy. Already Yelena's unusual abilities and past have set her apart. As the Council debates Yelena's fate, she receives a disturbing message: a plot is rising against her homeland, led by a murderous sorcerer s
Published February 26th 2008 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Fire Study, please sign up.
Felicity It is a trilogy with a short story between the first and second book, followed by another trilogy focusing on a side character, and finally the…moreIt is a trilogy with a short story between the first and second book, followed by another trilogy focusing on a side character, and finally the soulfinders trilogy which returns to the original main character. There are also i think 3 other novellas but i can't remember where they fit in the series. They are all definitely worth reading though!(less)

·  50,059 ratings  ·  3,647 reviews

Lyndsey
For me, the Study series has been on a descending scale of awesomeness.

A jaunty, double-spaced, fried zombie? Where?!

The first book, Poison Study, was awesome and gave you that happy-go-lucky feeling at the end and you want to yell "weeeeeee". The second book, Magic Study, was "eh". It felt somewhat disconnected from the original but still good. This third one, Fire Study, was just plain worn-out and over done, too much going on without much really happening. It had it's moments but mostly it
Simona Bartolotta
Do you know how long it took me to finish this? Too long. But I acknowledge that's not saying much when even a few seconds of this masterpiece of boredom would have been too long.

After finishing Magic Study, I knew that it would be a mistake to pick up the third book. But I already had it, and I still retained a little hope that it could be better after all, and I wanted to be done with this series, and well, I guess I'm just a finisher by nature. So sue me. (Even though one of all the horrible
Angie
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I felt a bit blue last night as I finished Fire Study, the third and final volume in Maria V. Snyder's Study Trilogy. Though she is currently working on a new series following a side character from the Study books, this is the last one to center on the adventures of Yelena, the convicted murderer, turned poison taster, turned diplomatic liaison. I felt blue because I'd been expecting more and I ended up finishing it more out of a feeling of obligation than because I was truly engrossed.

The stor
Felicia
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Ugh. Well, I was obsessed with Poison Study, and Magic Study was pretty good, but this book really didn't satisfy. I found myself skimming it a lot, and I felt bad doing it.

For some reason the whole reason I liked the series in the first place dwindled throughout this concluding novel to where I forgot what charmed me in the first place. It wasn't horrible, just not the direction I wanted or expected it to go. I guess an author has to do what he/she thinks the series should do, but it went so f
Anja H.
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
*4.25 SOULFINDING STARS*

Ahh, be still my beating heart!
So sad to see this series end... but thank god for the sequel trilogy that I'm definitely going to read asap! I need more Yelena (and Valek, duh) in my life!

This book didn't qu
Limonessa
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
What a pity. This is the only coherent thought in my mind after finishing the Study series. After an oustanding debut followed by a mediocre sequel, the final installment was NOT the proper ending to something that could have been memorable. Not because of the way it ended, because that was pretty satisfying. In fact, it got 2 stars from me instead of one just because Snyder eventually delivered what is so painfully expected throughout the whole - excessively long - book.
If I had to describe in
Ben Alderson
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Life is to short to force yourself to finish a book.
Liked the beginning, that was about it. Finally giving up after a week or two!
Helena of Sparta ✰ (on semi-hiatus)
“There's always another storm. It's the way the world works. Snowstorms, rainstorms, windstorms, sandstorms, and firestorms. Some are fierce and others are small. You have to deal with each one separately, but you need to keep an eye on what’s brewing for tomorrow.”

This is actually more of a 4.5 star rating. Yelena is so determined, clever, strong, and stubborn, which makes for a very enjoyable protagonist, but for some reason, it took me about 100 pages before I actually got into the storyline.
Puck
3 stars for a book in which, once again, Snyder butchers her great characters to keep the story running.

Wow, I can hardly believe the series ends like this. Poison Study was amazing, Magic Study was awful, and although Fire Study is slightly better than the second book, it's still not as good as the first one.

“It's the problem with mistakes, they tend to linger.”
(Yelena should tell this to Snyder, not to Cahill)

First important thing to know: the plot is almost similar to that of Magic Stu
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
“Nothing like having a warrant for your execution to get a girl motivated.”

I admired Yelena for her strength, clever mind (Which is, of course, a strength on its own) and her Soulfinder abilities. I loved Valek, his loyalty and respect for her.

And I loved their independent relationship so freaking much! Valek and Yelena love each other, but they don't spend every minute of every day together. Or constantly whining and thinking about each other and nothing else. They do other important things
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
I ended up finishing this because my curiosity has been restored. Seriously, I couldn't even with this anymore. I lost faith in it BUT I'm just happy I don't have this book chilling on my "Currently-Reading" shelf. It was lowkey bothering me >.<

Oh, how I wished this book lived up to my expectations.

It was bleh

Yup, it was bleh.

This is my review.

Good day folks *salutes*
Heather
Dec 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2010
I must live to torment myself. I endured the craziness that was Magic Study, read the reviews for Fire Study, which were much worse than Magic Study, and yet I read Fire Study anyway, which is my way. So, I guess I only have myself to blame, but I’m blaming Snyder too.

Having read 448 pages of Yelena’s inability to ask the most mundane questions, face the most blatant truths, fret over the safety of people who were far more capable than she, getting kidnapped, and placing her trust in people who
Helen 2.0
Fire Study was nowhere near as good as Poison Study, unfortunately. I hope the Soulfinder series picks up again.
This was a good story, but I did find it a little confusing in places.

Yelena was really strong in this book, she stood up and took charge, and once again wasn’t afraid to go into dangerous situations when the lives of those she loved depended on it.

The storyline in this was good, but I did get confused in places; I just found some bits a little hard to follow, but I think I got the gist of what was going on eventually!

There was a little bit of romance in this one, but I could always have done wi
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, this series has gone the way of many "chicks-who-kick-butt" stories go, where apparently no one is capable of doing anything (or thinking, or even desiring to think, for that matter) except for the unflappable, clever, sarcastic heroine. The voice has become modern/mainstream enough that it kills the other-world feel (this Pegasus is lacking true wings). There's some creativity to the world and magic system, so I still enjoyed the book, even if the characters have become flat as t ...more
Kells Next Read
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
 photo insanely brilliant _zpsqpz1yd4u.gif

Yes Yes Yes this was a wonderful conculsion...Oh wait...shoot just checked and it's seems to be a series. Yeah!!!!! So much suspense, revelations and plot twist that my head still hurts. I have no regrets from the time invested into this. Love all the characters ( especially Valek and Yelena ).

Me after a three day marathon this series:
 photo oh my gif_zpsrcts7xbg.gif

But I'm totally cool with it. I'm in no way panicking or feeling any withdrawal symptoms. You don't believe me?...Whew... well here's a picture of me looking to
Angela
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
2 stars is still pretty generous for this book. Bleh. I was so disappointed. Reading these 3 books was a similar experience to the Eragon books ... LOVED the first one, thought the second one was good but not as good as the previous, and forced my way through the third one while skipping massive pages and not caring what I missed.

Comparing POISON STUDY to MAGIC STUDY and FIRE STUDY, I think what I didn't like the most was the 1st book was so different from the last 2. I loved the mystery of Yele
Caitlin
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read, 4-stars
You've been in the midst of trouble ever since you became the Commander's food taster, love.

I honestly have 0 idea about what to say in this review. I finished this book 3 hours ago and I'm still like ???? what just happened. This was definitely the hardest of the trilogy to get into. The first 100 pages I wasn't loving but damn the last 300 pages were full of twists and turns and crazy events. I'm still trying to process all that happened in this book. This book seemed to take place over the
Devin
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars.

I loved this first trilogy of this world! I haven't read something I loved this much in so long. I was really hooked on the first book, and although the second book was vastly different that the first, I still enjoyed it enough to give it five stars.

Having said that, I didn't like this conclusion as much. I still love Maria V. Snyder's voice in her writing. It is easy to follow and comprehend. It's just this last book felt a little all over the place. Really slow in some parts, but t
Mimi
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, high-fantasy
Lots of adventure and almost nonstop action, which I like, but Yelena's character development is something I'll have to think on some more. And also, the ending is sort of rushed. Otherwise, another good book in a thoroughly good series.

Full review of the Study Trilogy at Wordpress
⚡ molly ⚡
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Wow what a lovely ending!
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
I was so excited when I started reading this book, I think I'm used to, in the trilogies that I read, that each book is better than the previous one, but this time I didn't feel that. I loved the first book and unlike most, I liked the second one even more, I think the Magic Study took a very interesting turn for the story and made the book impossible to put it down. Because of this and cause I love the characters, I was very excited to start with Fire Study...

description

3.5/5 Stars

You can find this one an
lolo'
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rtc.
Erin
Jul 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
♛ Garima ♛
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to ♛ Garima ♛ by: Shahad takleef
I picked this up right after finishing Magic Study.

The concept has been set so nice and complex; I didn't want to wait a single bit. The idea of story and plot line so well though but it was rather poorly executed. I was disappointed. At almost 75%, I was thinking of having this as DNF – it got that boring.

I don’t want to write an elaborated review even as I don’t feel anything for this. In first book of the series (Poison Study), the story setting and Valek saved it. In 2nd more unique charac
Khadidja ~on hiatus~
Feb 11, 2018 marked it as on-hold
Sorry, old friend. But i am on-hold zoning you.
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3.5

Wow. So, this book was kind of difficult to get through. Up until about three-quarters of the way through, I was afraid I was going to end up hating it. Part of it was some of the negative reviews, but more of it was the fact that everyone was really being annoying.

There was some of this in the second book, too. People were holding unrealistic expectations of other people, people were demanding trust while being mistrustful, etc. And there's a lot more of that in this one, to the point where
Fey
The truth is now out, and everyone knows that Yelena is a 'Soulfinder'. Most people don't like this, as the last known Soulfinder, only used his powers for evil, everyone sees only the evil possibilities, necromancy etc. The council must debate what to do with Yelena.

Meanwhile Yelena has heard that Ferde the Soulstealer is back, and sets out to hunt him down, only to learn that there are more enemies now than those she's fought before.

This book was a little disappointing after the decent start o
Seda
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aslında 4.5’tan 4 verdim. Çünkü çok güzel, heyecanlı bir kitap olsa da ikinci kitaptan biraz daha yavaş ilerledi. Bunun yanında, esas sindire sindire yazılacak sonu çok hızlı anlatıldı, oldu bittiye geldi. Zaman atlaması olması çok hoşuma gitmedi. O sürede olan bir sürü olayı ayrıntılı okuyamadım. Seri sonu değil aslında, devam kitapları var. Ama ara final gibi bir durumla ilk üç kitabı sonlandırdığından, daha tatminkar bir son isterdim.

Bir de 2. ve 3. kitaplarda daha çok Valek istedim, yazar ka
Mel
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this. It was a beautiful conclusion to the ending and the character development over the series, but in this book alone, was beautiful.

I cannot overlook the beginning though. I dropped a star because I dnf’d this twice before getting through the beginning. It was too busy, too confusing, and felt lost compared to the rest of the series. The author wanted to set up too much information at once and the book felt heavy.
But when the location and plot change everything improves.

So o

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, #3)
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • The Misted Cliffs (Lost Continent, #2)
  • Armed & Magical (Raine Benares #2)
  • Warsworn  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2)
  • Blue Fire (Healing Wars, #2)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)
When Maria V. Snyder was younger, she aspired to be a storm chaser in the American Midwest so she attended Pennsylvania State University and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. Much to her chagrin, forecasting the weather wasn’t in her skill set so she spent a number of years as an environmental meteorologist, which is not exciting...at all. Bored at work and needing a creative out ...more

Poison Study (6 books)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Magic Study (Study, #2)
  • Shadow Study (Soulfinders #1; Study, #4)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2; Study, #5)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3; Study, #6)
“There's always another storm. It's the way the world works. Snowstorms, rainstorms, windstorms, sandstorms, and firestorms. Some are fierce and others are small. You have to deal with each one separately, but you need to keep an eye on whats brewing for tomorrow.” 421 likes
“The others had taken Valek's return in stride, although Janco made a comment about Valek's lack of hair. 'You ever notice how couples start to look alike?' he asked.

In a deadpan, Valek replied, 'Yes. In fact I was just thinking how much you and Topaz resemble each other. It's uncanny.”
162 likes