Start by marking “This Is the Sunflower” as Want to Read:
This Is the Sunflower

This Is the Sunflower

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
First there is a sunflower.Seasons pass ... and soon there is a patch of sunflowers.

Budding young gardeners will discover that what makes this happen is not magic - but is most definitely magical.
Published April 30th 2000 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Sunflower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Sunflower

Julia
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful little book that is directed for children but also for those who may enjoy the beauty of a sunflower as well as what it may take to get it to grow. The story is a quick read and one that although full of information follows along to the tune of "The House That Jack Built".

Although unrealistic in just following the life of a single plant since most sunflowers grow in groups the reader is given a chance to see the life cycle of that single plant. And slowly without the careful reader
Ambree
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This will be a great book to use as apart of a Science unit. The repetition in this book is also great for literacy development for emergent readers.
Jill Wolf
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book explains the life of a sunflower and how one comes to be about from the seed. It goes through how seeds are moved around the earth by birds and then need soil, water, and sun to grow. They then turn into sprouts and continue to grow until they are fully bloomed flowers. This book tells this story in a poem form with tons of rhyming, i.e.
"These are the seeds, black and brown, found in the blossom, yellow and round, that crowns the sunflower, tall and bright, that stands in my garden da
Lauren
The rhyme and cumulative text really move the book along and make it easy for the kids to begin to say some of the words and phrases along with you. I found that stopping to ask questions throughout about the illustrations or about flowers and gardens was engaging for the kids and did not make for stilted rhyme, as it all starts over again on each page.
Natalie Heavrin
This short poetry book is simple and sweet. Every page, a new line is added to the beginning, while the rest stays the same and repeats. It shows the process of how a sunflower grows with beautiful watercolor illustrations and flowing rhymes. I especially like it because sunflowers are my favorite flower!
Rebecca Snodgrass
The facts at the end of this book are neat because I was not expecting them to be there. The poem in this book is very catchy that I ended up being able to say it by the end so it would be fun for a young kid to hear this during a poem unit. The rhyming was something I liked a lot as well. Overall, a good book.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 4/12/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 7/31/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 6/21/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Rebekah Jones
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Sunflower is a colorful book that shoes the life a flower. It gives a detailed description of what all happens to the seeds and how it grows. I liked the style of the book it made it interesting to read.
Xiyuan Ni
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book has a bright cover, and it will bring you a good mood. We can figure out what happened in the garden about the sunflower, from only one to a patch of sunflowers. It is also a good potery book that you read again and again.
Alex Wulfekuhle
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
This is a great picture book! This book explains the life of the sunflower, and how it comes to be from seeds, sun, and growth. This would be a awesome science unit book. There is also a lot of repetition in this book that would be great for literacy development.
Melanie
A house-that-jack-built type story about sunflowers and the birds who eat the seeds. Biological info re: sunflowers and pictures of the types of birds seen in the book are is included at the back of the book.
Rachel Feather
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: word-knowledge
Repetition, rhyming, concept vocabulary
Dolly
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Cute story about a sunflower, with a rhyming narrative that builds upon itself. Our girls enjoyed it, but the younger ones lose interest pretty quickly.
Kathy Fredrickson
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Nice cumulative story that worked well with my toddler story time group today...
PWRL
Shelves: narrative-skills
Add and repeat story.
Kayla
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good informational book. Would be good for older children doing projects. Would also be a good group read for a sunflower unit. It reminds me of the sunflower unit my class did in second grade.
MJ
Jan 18, 2013 added it
Shelves: nature-earth
not in print would like for odc if comes back in
Tracy
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Beautifully illustrated book about a sunflower's life cycle. The repetition did get on my nerves a bit, but my little one loved it. Great science lesson.
Sep 12, 2012
Barbara
Jun 19, 2015
Erica
Mar 02, 2017
Barbara
rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2018