Start by marking “Without Remorse (John Clark, #1; Jack Ryan Universe Publication Order #6)” as Want to Read:
Without Remorse (John Clark, #1; Jack Ryan Universe Publication Order #6)

Without Remorse

(Jack Ryan Universe (Publication Order) #6)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  62,320 ratings  ·  1,348 reviews
John Kelly, former Navy SEAL and Vietnam veteran, is still getting over the accidental death of his wife six months before, when he befriends a young woman with a decidedly checkered past. When that past reaches out for her in a particularly horrifying fashion, he vows revenge and, assembling all of his old skills, sets out to track down the men responsible, before it can ...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Berkley Books (first published August 11th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Without Remorse, please sign up.
Mike Worley Research the books you like/want to read, then put them on your "want to read" list so you won't forget them, and then go to the library (your library…moreResearch the books you like/want to read, then put them on your "want to read" list so you won't forget them, and then go to the library (your library probably has interlibrary loans too) and pick up one of the books on your list and enjoy. (less)

·  62,320 ratings  ·  1,348 reviews

Start your review of Without Remorse (John Clark, #1; Jack Ryan Universe Publication Order #6)
Stephen
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
5.0 Stars. Absolutely superb novel focusing on the enigmatic John Clark who is one of best, if not the best, spy novel characters ever. This is one of my favorite Tom Clancy novels despite being a much "smaller" scale story. Highly Recommended!!!!
Igor Ljubuncic
This book is good for three reasons. One, it's not a Jack Ryan story. It tells us how John Clark came into being, who he is and what he is, and the plot actually happens roughly 15-20 years before the main series.

Two, Vietnam, so it's low tech and gritty Ramboism.

Three, Tom Clancy normally wrote Puritan Republican-voting cardboard emotions for his characters with the full knowledge that they would be portrayed in the cinema, so it must look good. But here, he went the distance with John and actu
C
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-fun
This book was...well, ok. It wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't as good as I'd hoped, given Clancy's success.

First gripe: There were FAR too many side plots, which I know where there in some attempt to round out the narrative, to show how things happen, but it just got distracting. Stupidly so at times.

Second gripe: What the hell was Clancy thinking when he started calling people by different names? Sometimes a character is referred to by his first name, sometimes by his last, sometimes
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
4 stars.
🇺🇸🤙
Tim Greaton
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So bad yet so good...

Tom Clancy has long been a hit and miss author for me. I should say that a lot of it has to do with his incredibly detailed and dense descriptions of everything military. He earns a lot of kudos for his intense knowledge of his subject matter and his ability to base his fiction in frighteningly realistic circumstances, but there are times when I just want to get on with the story and not learn about a firing pin and its historical significance to military maneuvers in the ea
Mike (the Paladin)
This is our first meeting with John Clark...if you follow Clansy's novels that tells you the back ground on this one.

This novel is quite a bit more violent than some of Clancy's other works (that's saying something I know) but that will hold true for the Clark centered novels in the series.

You get fast moving adventure with slightly less of the political twists you get when the books are about "Jack". This is an intense read.
Tim
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
The beginning was slow and mildly interesting. The end is well-done and elevates the rating. 5 of 10 stars
Henri Moreaux
What a fantastic book. Having seen Hunt For Red October/Patriot Games/Sum of all Fears at the movies and finding them to be good movies I thought I'd try out the actual books. Hating to start in the middle of a series I decided if I'm going to read a Tom Clancy book I might as well start at the beginning and enjoy them all (assuming they're any good) and boy am I glad I did!

This book isn't what I expected - I thought it'ld be more action, shooting and explosions with little substance, but no the
Matthew Esham
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Kelly is a Navy Seal back in the states as Vietnam rages half way across the globe. He's done his service, and well, and is now working as an underwater demolitions expert.

Of course, that all changes when his pregnant wife is accidentally killed. Several months pass. Then on a wimhe picks up a female hitch hiker while he is on the way to his boat. (he lives on an island somewhere off the coast of MD that used to be a military site).

The hitch hiker has a horrendous past, she's running from some
William
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started with audio and then found that I could not tell when scene and character changed. I pulled a hard copy off the to-read shelf and had a great experience. I remember the time frame of the story and understand the military, the drug situation as presented.
I recommend this to people on both ends of political spectrum....Nixon is president after the LBJ admins. complete cockup in South East Asia totally destroyed the political power of centrists and conservative Democrats.
Silvana
Dec 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
One of the worst Clancy's books I've ever read. Boring, too much description, too many unnecessary drama... Yes, I know it's about the "making" of the legendary John Clark, but I still cannot enjoy it.
Thomas Strömquist
Another 'prequel' in the series (there were to be even more). This one went way back to tell us where John Clark comes from. Long and not so engaging. And John Clarke is not a sympathetic character. Did not care much for this one, but of course worse were to come...
Bill Varon
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Really good book, but the part that will stick with me forever is the torture episode that takes place on a very small unmapped military island on the Chesapeake Bay. Don't gang rape and murder someone's girlfriend if you're not able to defend yourself against her angry, psycho, highly trained military boyfriend, John Clark. Especially gruesome because the torturee was kept alive for days after being placed in a decompression chamber turned up and up and up and up, until one by one his ear drums ...more
itchy
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w
another awesome reread from clancy, but then i knew that all along;
my kind of feel-good story

5 pips then, 5 pips now

24june2019

first read a borrowed copy from the tampus family library back in the day (was it high school?)
Rob
Executive Summary: I found this book good at times, and tedious at others. It rounded out to be a so-so thriller overall.

Audiobook: Much like the other Clancy books he's narrated, Michael Prichard does a fine job, but nothing spectacular. He speaks clearly and with good volume. He doesn't add anything extra to the story nor does he detract from it. Audio is a decent option here.

Full Review
This book is largely split into two parts: Military/CIA thriller, and domestic vigilante action crime dr
Neil
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Clancy was the Steven Seagal of writers
Justin Poe
Kashif
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Without Remorse was my first true Tom Clancy thriller and I was absolutely blown away by how excellent it is. Even reading it in 2020, it hasn’t lost its step one bit.

Without Remorse is a chilling and dark story of abuse and vengeance, packed with an intriguing and brilliant narrative as well as fast paced and realistic action. This is the origin story of John Clark, in another life. John Clark, a former Navy SEAL operative in the Vietnam war, is no stranger to pain. But there’s a limit to what
Kevin Murphy
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, yes. Now I remember. I remember why I so enjoyed Tom Clancy in high school/college. This book has motivated me to re-read the entire Ryanverse set of novels (save for "Red Rabbit," which I just finished and was less than impressed with). I tried 4 or 5 times over the last 15 years to read this book, but never got into it. The reasons elude me. Perhaps it was a matter of maturity, but it's hard to say. Either way, a top notch thriller. Had a hard time going to sleep at reasonable times during ...more
Jake C.
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
All I need to say Is John Kelly is a BAD ASS! This was my first Tom Clancy book and won't be the last, I read this book because my friends have talked about how great of a writer Tom Clancy is. So I took a look at some of his books. And to be honest at first I did judge his books by their covers, because there was always some sort of gun or weapon on the cover. So I figured he would be the Michael Bay of literature, all explosions, a weak plot, and characters without any depth. But I was pleasan ...more
Marty Fried
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-long-ago
I used to love Tom Clancy before he went over the top pushing his anti-liberal agenda. This book was written back before he got too preachy, or at least before it was noticeable.

I enjoyed this book very much. I really like the John Kelly/Clark character, and so it was nice to learn a lot more about him and his background. He reminds me a little of Jack Reacher, the Lee Child character that I also enjoy.

Anyway, I won't waste time on what the book is about - that's easy enough to find out. I'll ju
Lena
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cia-spies
3-E973107-75-DD-40-EA-A52-D-05-C31-C21-F454
John Clark was never a boy scout. Half of the book is layered Clancy geopolitical games but the rest is down and dirty. Be prepared to hit the streets with an ex Navy Seal hell bent on revenge!

But it was way too long for five stars. And there was way too much of...
B4-F69-AFC-F05-E-4087-A5-A6-DE9419380465
Overall, I prefer John Clark to Jack Ryan.
Conor
Jul 04, 2014 added it
Shelves: clancy, thriller
3.5 Stars.

A tense, well written thriller by the master of the genre. While the military operation plot was somewhat dragged out and bloated the revenge plotline was one of the most gripping stories of it's type that I've read. There were a number of likeable and memorable (although in some ways similar) characters in the cast and Clark/Kelly was a pretty cool protagonist, especially when he was fucking shit up.

Full review to come...
Andy
Dec 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cool People
This one gets 4 stars (even though its from Tom Clancy) because the main character //ISNT// Jack Ryan (shudder), kills a dude in a deep sead diving pressure chamber. Also because John Kelly (main character) becomes John Clark, who was the mission briefer in all the Rainbow Six games I used to play as a kid. (Wooo Ding Chavez!!) -- yeah he's in the other books, but so is Jack Ryan ='()
Mark
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a repeat reading as I move through the shelves during our "Shelter in Place" during the Coronavirus Outbreak...This is the backstory of the evolution of John Clark from a retired SEAL operative, living on an island in Chesapeake Bay, to the CIA operative that later emerges throughout the "Jack Ryan Universe."
Kay
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
4 Stars ~ My 90's reading contained many of Clancy's Jack Ryan stories including this one, which is John Kelly's (Mr. Clark) story. Jack's father Emmett is a detective that plays an integral role throughout this story. There's a brief scene with a very young Jack who is about to enlist in the Marines.

I had forgotten how intricate the plots are in Tom Clancy's books. This book opens with several sub-plots; Kelly's wife's death; the capture of an airline Colonel in Vietnam; the rapidly growing dru
John
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Great story well told.
Megan
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He had to look away. What more would fate take away from him? Why not just take his life and be done with it? But it wasn't just his life that fate was interested in. It never was. He was responsible, as always, for more than that. Kelly reached for his radio and flipped it on.

Before I start with this review I just wanted to say that Tom Clancy is a downright sadistic bastard. I can remember reading something once. A question, probably in a book, but maybe in a magazine or a quot
Aniruddha
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: tom-clancy
The first time I picked up a Tom Clancy book was almost 10 years ago. I remember back then "The Cardinal of the Kremlin" turned out to be a bit too much for me. The technical detail was so mind-boggling that I couldn't continue beyond 100 pages.

When I was growing up, I regularly used to hear the Tom Clancy name associated with video games like Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon. So, when my eyes chanced across that name again all these years later, I couldn't stop myself from revisiting his writing.
Alison
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Unbelievably my first Tom Clancy book, but will not be my last! This is the story of John Kelly a man who lost his wife, found a new love, and had her taken away from him by the drug lords who enslaved her and tortured her. John has a mission: to rid the streets of the drug dealers who take young girls off the streets,turn them into prostitutes, addict them to drugs, then throw them away. John's other mission: working with the government to rescue 20 prisoners of war from a North Vietnamese pris ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please update title 2 12 May 29, 2020 03:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add series info to title 1 8 Nov 07, 2019 07:26PM
UCAS English 11 R...: Feb. Book Review 1 5 Feb 27, 2019 09:29PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update details 1 14 Oct 31, 2018 01:47PM
UCAS English 10 H...: March Reading Assignment 1 2 Mar 15, 2018 04:28PM
Next Book You Want To See as a Movie 1 6 Dec 12, 2017 10:00PM
Who has read this? 26 110 Dec 27, 2014 08:50PM

• Dark Guardian: A New Dawn (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Dark Guardian: Legends (Dark Guardian, #3)
  • Dark Guardian (Dark Guardian, #1)
  • Ana Rocha: Shadows of Justice
  • Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)
  • The Legendary Wolf
  • Tom Clancy Code of Honor (Jack Ryan Universe Book 28)
  • Commander-in-Chief (Jack Ryan, #11)
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)
  • Under Fire (Jack Ryan Universe, #19)
  • Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)
  • Point of Contact (Jack Ryan Jr. #10)
  • True Faith and Allegiance (Jack Ryan Universe, #22)
  • Tom Clancy Enemy Contact
  • Firing Point (Jack Ryan Universe,  #29)
  • Duty and Honor (Jack Ryan Universe, #21)
  • Mission of Honor (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #9)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of

Jack Ryan Universe (Publication Order) (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • The Cardinal of the Kremlin (Jack Ryan, #4)
  • Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5; Jack Ryan Universe, #6)
  • The Sum of All Fears (Jack Ryan, #6)
  • Debt of Honor (Jack Ryan, #7)
  • Executive Orders (Jack Ryan, #8)
  • Rainbow Six (John Clark, #2; Jack Ryan Universe, #10)
  • The Bear and the Dragon (John Clark, #3)
  • Red Rabbit (Jack Ryan, #2)

Articles featuring this book

"A spy, like a writer, lives outside the mainstream population. He steals his experience through bribes and reconstructs it."...
“The nice thing about enemies is you know where they stand. This is not always true of friends."

--General Sergey Voloshin”
23 likes
“Christ, how did you ever get this screwed up! his mind demanded of
him. He knew the answer, but even that was not a full explanation.
Different segments of the organism called John Terrance Kelly knew
different parts of the whole story,
but somehow they'd never all come together, leaving the separate
fragments of what had ...once been a tough, smart, decisive and to blunder
about in confusion - and despair! There was a happy thought.”
9 likes