Start by marking “Pirates Don't Change Diapers” as Want to Read:
Pirates Don't Change Diapers

Pirates Don't Change Diapers

Simplified Chinese edition of Pirates Don't Change Diapers. It is a Children's Illustrated Honor Book of the 2008 Book Sense Book of the Year Awards by Melinda Long. In Simplified Chinese. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published March 1st 2007 by Harcourt Children's Books (first published 2007)

One Code 431
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really sweet and cute story
Hope
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pirates
Pirates Don't Change Diapers. do they? This is such a cute book about "babysitters" who think they may have to actually "sit" on the babies! A bit hard to read with some of the accents used, but my children have always loved my own accent interpretations! :)
Darcy
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maggie-3-yr-old
A cute story. A little boy, Jeremy Jacob watches his baby sister while his dad is a sleep. Some pirate friends arrive upon his door step to claim their buried treasure.

A cute entertaining story. My 3 year old daughter liked it.
Samantha
This is a great picture book for the upper grades, but really what age group doesn't love pirates. This book is a sequel and just as fun to read as the first one. This book would be great for book clubs or a fun read aloud. The book does a good job of keeping kids engaged.
Stacey
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant about reading this book out loud. I thought it would be a bit "busy" and hard to follow for the kids. However, the kids loved it! They were entertained and want to hear it and read it on their own often.
Kathy
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good transition from Oh David books
Andrea Brooks
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-books
Pirates and babies? what more do you need?
Marissa Briggs
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a little boy who wants to give his mom an amazing birthday present, but does not have any money. One day his mom goes to the store and leaves him in charge of his baby sister, so he calls on his pirate friends for help. After taking care of his sister they dig up treasurer and find the most perfect gift for his mom.

The overall theme is responsibility in how the little boy has to take care of his sister and make sure she is safe.

While reading this book I felt happy and it bro
Cat Juggler
The little girl was creepy looking. She is two years old with four huge chompers and they give her strained spinach to eat. Perhaps for the sake of humor. She appears to be thoroughly well-greased all over.

At times, Jeremy Jacob has too many lines in his face and LOTS of teeth, making him look old (he IS a former pirate). There are a whole lot of pirates with a nice assortment of features; Bonney Anne looks like she herself is one of them. Other than that, this is a well-written, fun story.
Steve Holden
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 Stars*

I'm rounding up to show that I like this Melinda Long pirate book the best! This one keeps to the same theme as "How I Became a Pirate." This one generates more laughs, however, and I feel it puts it over the top since a book like this being read aloud is for the entertainment value. The illustrations are detailed and easy to look at. I like this one!
Viviane Elbee
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The kids voted to give this funny sequel 5 stars - and it is funny to watch the pirates babysitting Bonney Anne.

The text is on the long side, so this book is better for older preschoolers who can sit through long stories or for young elementary students.
Laurie
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alisha
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turns out Pirates do change diapers. This is a sequel to "How I became a Pirate." The story was cute enough and the illustrations are as grotesque as usual. If you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one. For preK-2nd grade.
Not quite as good as the first one (How I Became a Pirate) but still super fun. Great for preschool story time.
Erik
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-children
Goofy fun with some great visuals.
Lynn  Davidson
Fabulous! This book is so enjoyable and funny. Great story and fantastic illustrations.
Mariah Roze
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really funny story about Pirates becoming babysitters.
Raine Feiertag
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a pirate reading this book to my pirate son... we loved it!
Bethe
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute sequel to the original Pirates story - love the page where the pirates "rock on"! Wonder how many of my students will get that reference?
Rachel
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty cute kids book. Even though the young boy was very involved in the Pirate adventure he took good care of his sister.
Valerie Wyse
Funny story, but i think I liked it more than my son did.
NSAndrew Liebergen
Perfect Book!!
Art is inviting and engaging - kids love to study the small details in the full page pictures.

I did a DR-TA with 2nd graders on this book. I was able to break it into 6 sections. Their attention span lasted 45 min!!! Because the book was so interesting.

I don't know what kind of students you are teaching, but the 3-7 age range on this book is way low for the students I see. It was a perfect book for the average or a little better reader of 2nd grade.

Plucky young Jeremy Jacob is reun
Jen W
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tumblebook, Picture book; Ages 4-9; Level 2.7, LExile 570L

Awards: None

Description: Jeremy's mother has to go run errands and his dad and baby sister are asleep. When pirates arrive at the door waking his baby sister, it is up to them to keep her quiet so they can go find the buried treasure and get the pirates back on their way.

Characteristics:
1. Uses pictures and text to tell a story. Without the illustrations in this story, when Jeremy realizes where to look for the treasure we wouldn't know a
Cathy
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never in a million years would I have thought that upper grade would have enjoyed this book. A little boy named Jeremy was babysitting while his mother stepped away and his father took a nap, When out of no where Captain Braid Beard and his crew rang his door bell looking for their treasure. Everyone know that pirates are not quite and because of their roudiness his lovely baby sitter Bonney Anne, whom is under a years old woke up. Now the story centers on satifisfying Bonney Anne and the pirate ...more
Amy Poulin
Pirates Don’t Change Diapers is about a boy named Jeremy Jacob and his adventures with Braid Beard and his crew as they return to get their treasure. The treasure was buried in the previous story How I Became a Pirate. Jeremy’s mother needed to run errands and both is dad and sister were sleeping. Jeremy needed to do one thing if his sister woke up and that was to keep her happy. Then Jeremy’s pirate friends showed up wanting to find their treasure. But instead ended up babysitting Bonney Anne b ...more
Priscilla Johnson
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This story is a sequel to “How I Became a Pirate.” In this story the pirate crew turns up at Jeremy’s house in search of the hidden treasure they hid in his backyard. While the pirates are at the house they wake up the baby and have to help Jeremy babysit his little sister. The pirates learn how to take care of a baby while they also search for the hidden treasure.

This is WOW book for me because it teaches students how to use their imagination when writing. I think both of these books are great
Kristi Bernard
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melinda Long has created another fun filled pirate adventure. What kids will want to know, is if pirates don't change their socks why on earth would they even consider changing diapers!

With Dad and baby sis taking a nap and Mom running an errand to the store, Jeremy Jacob is in charge of the house. His old friends the pirates show up to dig up treasure they left in Jeremy's back yard. All of their loud chattering wakes up baby sis, Bonney Anne. Jeremy asks the pirates to help him babysit to keep
Jackie
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arrrgggh!...mateys! Madcap mayhem ensues when Jeremy Jacob's pirate buddies show up to reclaim the treasure they've buried in his backyard. But!...oh yo! They're just in time to help him babysit his little sister, Bonney Anne. Things get interesting when the pirates run out of diapers while trying to figure out how to change Bonney Anne's dity diapers. Shiver me timbers! All's well that ends well when Bonney Anne points them in the right direction to dig for the long lost treasure. Delightful il ...more
Adrienne

PIRATES DON'T CHANGE DIAPERS
-----------------------------

Grades: PK-3rd

Illustrations: Detailed and cute but skewed toward older children

Read-along: This book makes an excellent read-along provided the instructor, librarian, parent, etc. give/s cues for when children are to repeat the bold words (representing the entire pirate crew).

Detractors: Not to be a spoilsport, but a disclaimer about imagination versus real life might be in order for some children. Perhaps it is best to warn children not t
Jacki
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pirates Don't Change Diapers is a picturebook I listened to on CD. The book is intended for Nursery readers.

In this book a young boy name Jeremy is babysitting his little sister, Bonnie Anne, when pirates knock at his door. Jeremy enlists the pirates to help him with his sister in exchange for him helping the pirates find buried treasure.

I usually enjoy silly stories for young children, but this book was a little busy for me. I feel it would be difficult for chidren to follow the story on CD. I
Randy Lander
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I know a kids book is good when my daughter loves re-reading it over and over again. I know it's great when I don't mind so much. Pirates Don't Change Diapers is a great kids book. It's got really nice art and great comic timing... it's legitimately funny for kids and adults.

Lessons? Well, mostly it's about being a good big brother, but it's more general, genial goofy than the morality tale that many (good and bad) kids books are. All I know is that after getting this at the school book fair, I
Amy Hardy
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first things you notice was the beautiful illustrations. This book was about a group of pirates look for treasure and came into Jeremy Jacob's house waking up his baby sister Bonney. The pirates had to go through a lot of hilarious mishaps to help babysit Bonney, in order; to find their treasure. My favorite part is when they do peekaboo, sing, and dance to try to get Bonney to sleep. I would use this book to help discuss cause and effect situations that happened throughout the book. ...more
Lisa Carroll
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny story and what little boy doesn't enjoy hearing about pirates. (girls will love this too). My son fell in love with everything pirates a little over a year ago. The pirates in this book are gross and have no manners, but you fall for them regardless. The pictures are bold, full of color and full of humor. This book and the first one, How I Became a Pirate are well loved in this house. We love how pirate terminology is included yet, the story takes place in modern time. This book is pu ...more
Karina Gioertz
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book my daughter EVER sat still for from beginning to end. If you are looking for a story that allows you to do fun voices-this is the one! It's actually a sequel in a series, but we had this one first and fell in love. Even though it may seem like there is a lot of dialogue for a small child to stay focused on, it's such an easy and entertaining read that it was never a problem for us. I had just as much fun reading it to my daughter as she had listening to it.
Ina
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is one sequel that is almost better than the original! In this second Melinda Long/David Shannon pirate book, Jeremy Jacob is visited by his old pirate crew, ready to dig up their treasure. Jeremy's baby sister though has other plans for the pirate crew and they have to change, feed and calm her before they can get to digging. The illustrations are just hysterically funny and the kids today loved them.
Jessica Vu
This is a fun book to pass time in class or to stir up ideas for creative writing. What character would the student like to be and what would they not want to do?
If you have a child who likes pirates, this will be a great book for encouraging them to read by giving them a book topic that interests them.

It might be fun to predict what is going to happen in this book based on the title and a picture walk.
Kristin Beachy
This is a fun book to not only read but the pictures are excellent and so detailed! In this book, which is a sequel, Jeremy Jacobs is in cahoots with Captain Braid Beard and his crew, but before he allows them to dig up the buried treasure they must help him to calm his wailing sister. His sister turns out to be the key to the treasure. This is a fun book that students are bound to get a kick out of!
Heather Bowden
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: randoms
This is a cute book, Jeremy Jacob needs to buy his mom a birthday present. The pirates come to look for their treasure in his backyard, and after the treasure is found, Jeremy Jacob gets to choose something from the treasure and he now has a birthday present for his mom.
The book is a fun read, I don't see it fitting into any curriculum. This would be an example of just reading for fun.
Rhaynes5
Pirates Don't Change Diapers is a great read aloud! I read this book to the pre-k class at my center and they loved it! I used my silly pirate voices that kept the children excited and laughing through the whole book. The book is filled with humor that young readers find very entertaining. Since I've read this book to the pre-k class it's one of my favorite books to read a loud just because I can be so creative with the way I am reading it.
Joelle
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in the book a bright, big, and in your face. It is perfect for the dynamic and imagination behind this story. The little boy is looking for a present for his mother, while trying to imagine his pirate world, and still babysitting his sister. He has so much to do but luckily he has his pirate friends to help. And adventurous story full of pictures and imagination.
Eva Leger
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
This was a cute little book- I didn't buy this- we actually read it while waiting for the doctor at Julia's 4 year check-up.
It's not something I would have bought for her but being that she does like pirates she picked it out of the bunch that were available.
She listened intently the whole time- this may have been due to the fact that there wasn't much else to do though. :)
Emily Garrison
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book! I'loved the pictures and loved the story line even more. It's so amazing what young minds can imagine in a short period of time. This kiddo was asked to watch over his little sister for a while and as he carried out his duty, pirates came to help him out! Such a great read! I will be reading this to my son tonight - I know he'll love it!
Brin
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-children
Shannon's illustrations are as great as always: slighty messy and amusing. The story was fine but lacking imaginative depth. I did not get into it. Also, the title was not fully supported.

Storyline:
Jeremy Jacob's pirate friends come over looking for their treasure and wake Jeremy's baby sister. They must take care of her before they can find their treasure.
Tiffany
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading this out loud in my best pirate's voice. It has such great words in it: scurvy dog! bilge rats! swill! sea chanteys! Ahoy mateys! Oh yeah, my boys really like it, too. Hopefully, one day they will raise the jolly roger and hold their pirate hats over their hearts and recall me as there "blessed mother." (Sorry, I got a little carried away there!)
Missun Raine
A very cute story about a boy and his pirate friends. The pirates are in need of the treasure they buried in his backyard, but there's one problem they woke his sister. now they have to call me sister before they can get anywhere near the treasure. but there's a bunch of twist , turns, and cooky adventures the must face. very entertaining
Oana Cerchezan
Some words do not always make sense. This book would be a great way to introduce different dialects and how in different parts of the country they have a name for a word and in another part they have a different name for the word. For example the pirate says laddie, and I will explain to them that this is just another way to say friend.
Linda
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just as much fun as her first pirate tale andDavid Shannon's illustrations are brillant as ever.

Read it aloud. Read it for yourself as well as the kids.

But read it in your bestest scratchy pirate's voice me hearties. Arghh
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What be that caterwaulin'? Aye, I have had so much fun reading this story to my favorite four-year old matey! Neither of us ever tire of it and it is the perfect answer to an owie, hurt feelings, waking up on the wrong side of the bed, or trying to get (said matey) to eat his vile smellin' swill (that would be spinach). Arghhh!
Kristen Thompson
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: large-group
This book has good points of interaction for the children to chime in with. It uses lots of fun pirate lingo, has engaging pictures, and a funny story line. Children love to imagine and dress up. This book would be good to act out or just read to a large group and have them participate and "be the pirates" int he book.
Barb Simpson
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I enjoyed this one so much because of the joy the boys got out of it, given the reality of diapers soon returning to our house! But what a fun book! Jeremy Jacob is a boy with a lot of imagination when his mom leaves to go get milk & his dad is napping :) The pirates & he have quite a time babysitting the baby sister!
Megan Breslow
This book follows "How I became a Pirate" and is just as good of a read. In this story the pirates come by to dig up their gold and end up having to help babysit. Kids will love the silly story and enjoy talking about all the things the pirates did wrong while trying to babysit.
Great for kindergarten or first grade.
Gloria Berger
What a funny book! I had fun reading this book. It would be a great book to have in the reading center as a fun leisure book to read. It could be used by students to practice reading with enthusiasm. Along with exclamation points this book also has question marks, something else students could practice when reading.
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We walk around saying "No sittin' on babies!" now. Loved every word of this! I thought the illustrations could have been easier on the eyes, though. Pirates are supposed to be ugly, but little boys and babies are supposed to be cute, not all nostrilly. But the little critic loves this, wants to read it every day.
Jessica Benson
The pictures in this book are very engaging. I would say this book would be good for a second or third grader. It follows Jeremy Jacob on an adventure in babysitting his younger sister with the help of his pirate friends. This book would be good to read following the book "How I became a Pirate."
Sandra Guerfi
The pirates are here to ask for help digging up their treasure but in their eagerness they've woken up the baby. There will be no grand adventure until she's taken care of and falls asleep again but pirates aren't the best of nannies. Can they make it time to find their treasure?
Jill
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book with great, colorful illustrations. When a boy is left at home to watch over his baby sister, he's caught off guard when a band of pirates arrives looking for treasure. The boy agrees to help them find the treasure if they agree to help babysit.
Pirates Don't Change Diapers 3 13 Mar 10, 2013 06:01AM
MCC Children's Li...: picture books and illustrations 1 1 Feb 16, 2012 11:24PM
  • Too Many Toys
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies