Start by marking “The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness” as Want to Read:
The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness

The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness

The Cosmic Game discusses the broadest philosophical, metaphysical and spiritual insights gleaned in Grof's research concerning human nature and reality, addressing the most fundamental questions human beings have asked about the nature of existence since time immemorial. Insights from research into nonordinary states of consciousness portray existence as an astonishing ...more
Published March 19th 1998 by State University of New York Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Cosmic Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cosmic Game

Start your review of The Cosmic Game: Explorations of the Frontiers of Human Consciousness
Cooper Cooper
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Stanislav Grof is a Czech psychiatrist who has dedicated his career to the study of so-called non-ordinary states of consciousness—especially as induced by psychedelic drugs. Having seen over the years many references to this guy, I decided it was time to have a read.
I was disappointed. More—annoyed. Grof’s basic premise is that the universe is informed by cosmic intelligence and is not purely material as conventional science would have us believe. We need a paradigm shift, he says, to save
Raúl
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, favorites
La mejor obra de Stanislav Grof. Imprescindible. Quien quiera dar un paseo por las maravillas que nos ofrece adentrarnos en las más modernas descripciones y acercamientos al mundo de la conciencia, la mente y el es espíritu... Éste es le libro. Si la neurosis a la que te lleva el materialismo científico y los ingenieros sociales comienza a embotar tu mente y ánimo.... No lo dudes. Léelo ya.
Michael Sanders
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Cosmic Game is likely the book most aligned with my own thinking about the cosmos and consciousness. The similarities between my thinking and Grof's don't suggest that we're necessarily right in our thinking; however, the resonance is profound. At times, it felt like the author was inside my own mind and soul. I found The Cosmic Game incredibly thorough, insightful, enjoyable and uplifting. Perhaps my favourite read ever :)
Jonathan Hockey
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A bit frustrating at the beginning of this book with some of the generic spirituality ideas, I guess, as I have seem them stated so many times, but it does in time get into specifics and connects it more with the transpersonal psychology, which is what I was reading this book for. And in these areas I found it a very valuable and interesting read.

A sober criticism of "materialistic science" as he calls it, from a person who wants to keep open our eyes to individual, independent experiences of
Tim
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Divine Drama of life is about the quest to rediscover and connect with the divine source. According to Grof, this is the both the source of creation and The Void. Creation out of nothing and nothing out of creation.

Our longings to be accepted, being with family, success, fame, and any other desire is all an illusion, and all of these longings are an attempt to return to unity with the source of creation.

Consciousness is not an epiphenomenon of the brain, the brain is more like a television
Samuel Janoška
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed. While I must appreciate the writing style and the thoughts the author entertains, I've had increasing difficulty with his concepts being given out as proofs. Sorry to say, but number of people experiencing something beautiful, extraordinary and seemingly out of this world does not make it a proof of higher existence. It is our belief, not proof.
Furthermore, the few "proofs" in the book have been attacked as inaccurate and wishful thinking of the researchers tasked with
Fei
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Dr Grof has proposed interesting concepts. However I do not think his ideas would be taken seriously by the scientific community at large. I think transpersonal psychology is a field worth being respected and developed, but the nature of these observations are mutually exclusive to Western Rationalism.
Tulio F do Egito Coelho
Brilliant!

This is a fascinating book, well written by a very intelligent and reputable researcher. I could hardly stop reading it! It can change of world view, specially if you are open minded but still in the materialistic monism that prevails in the scientific community.
Monica Danciulescu
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional book presenting both the main theories in the field as well as personal experiences and practical examples
Rose
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I generally like Grof's work, I'm starting to notice a distinct lack of variety from book to book as I read more of his writing. I still do like most of the theories presented in his work, but I feel as if this book was far more an opinion and speculation piece than I have come to expect out of some of the rest of his writings.

In this book, Grof goes over his theory of psychology that extends psychotherapy from the biographical level to the perinatal and transpersonal levels using a
Debra
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful overview of Grof's works with non-ordinary states of being. His life's work has centered around the use of psychedelics and other forms of altered states for healing through going deep into our psyches to encounter the source of the wounds and engage them by reliving the past, or expanding our awareness to the non-material plane of existence.

Grof is very personal in his writing because he writes as one who has been on the journey and touched in his life through the exploration of
Andy T
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in spirituality and mental health.
In my opinion one of the greatest living psychologists. His contribution to our understanding of both spirituality within psychopathology and the deeper dynamics of transformation that can effect us all is unsurpassed. If you ever felt like your spiritual emergence was turning into an emergency then turn to Grof. This book is a summary of his philosophical and spiritual insights from over 40 years of research into the healing effects of non-ordinary states of consciousness. Awesome.
Jason
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent view of the possibilities of the mind.
Joonas Lindsalu
Duncan McKenzie
Jul 21, 2015
Boris Scherbakov
Oct 13, 2017

• The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)
  • Wholeness and the Implicate Order
  • On Dialogue
  • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
  • In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon
  • Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness Are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe
  • Process and Reality
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Gemstone  Crystal Properties
  • The Princess Idleways A Fairy Story
  • The Hero: The Enduring Myth That Makes Us Human
  • Lying
  • Six saisons sur ilO (Le Cycle de Cyann, #2)
  • La sOurce et la sOnde (Le Cycle de Cyann, #1)
  • Becoming Superman: My Journey from Poverty to Hollywood
  • L'Énigme de l'Atlantide (Blake et Mortimer, #7)
  • Aïeïa d'Aldaal (Le Cycle de Cyann, #3)
  • Island
Grof is known for his early studies of LSD and its effects on the psyche—the field of psychedelic psychotherapy. Building on his observations while conducting LSD research and on Otto Rank's theory of birth trauma, Grof constructed a theoretical framework for pre- and perinatal psychology and transpersonal psychology in which LSD trips and other powerfully emotional experiences were mapped onto ...more
“the desire for perfection is that desire which always makes every pleasure appear incomplete, for there is no joy or pleasure so great in this life that it can quench the thirst in our soul.” 4 likes