Start by marking “The Message of the Quran” as Want to Read:
The Message of the Quran

The Message of the Quran

This is the legitimate translation of and commentary on the Qur'an by Muhammad Asad offered by The Book Foundation, copyright holder of Muhammad Asad's work. As a translation it is one of the most respected. As commentary, it is unsurpassed. Muhammad Asad, born Leopold Weiss, was a towering intellectual figure and lived most of his adult life in Arabia and the Muslim world ...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Islamic Book Trust

Start your review of The Message of the Quran
Imran Nasrullah
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the translations by Yusuf Ali, Arberry, and Dawood. Muhammad Asad's translation and interpretations stands above all. It is the Quran translation I reccomend to non-Muslims to get a better (in my view) understanding of Islam.

I am an American born Muslim (Pakistani descent). I have been raised here, and schooled here, and so have a western perspective of events and history. What I like about Asad's translation is that it is written by a "westerner," who was formerly a Viennese Jew. As
Tim
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: islam, islam-quran
*This review is on Muhammad Asad's translation/tafsir/commentary, which I have given 5 stars in case it should show as a different "edition" of the Qur'an.*

"Consider the heavens and that which comes in the night! And what could make thee conceive what it is that comes in the night? It is the star that pierces through life's darkness: for no human being has ever been left unguarded" Surah 86:1-4

(Asad commentary)..."In the Qur'anic mode of expression, at-tariq is evidently a metaphor for t
Kristin
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, personally, the only English translation of the Qur'an that I choose to read The "Intro" in the translation gives a history of Muhammad Asad's personal story, relating his experiences with the nomadic people in present-day Saudi Arabia and how he learned Arbic, which forms a large reason why I choose his translation. I also happen to think it's more beautiful lyrically than other translation (by FAR a secondary reason to the fact that I think it's a much accurate translation according to ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
No more of this book! You may wonder why no more with this book. Well, Turn to surat Nissa (women chapter), and read the fourth chapter, verse 34, and put yourself in my place when you discover this books permits the male to read the woman, just because she is not a male. Here is the whole verse:
"If you
fear high-handednessb from your wives, remind them [of the teachings
of God:], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them."

A book supposedly sacred encourages me to beat a woman because
Nazir Kafray
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the best,most accurate, well researched, though one volume yet the most comprehensive translation of Quran with detailed authorotative foot-notes with cross references
Russell
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the best translation of the Qur'an in my opinion. I'm aware Salafis won't agree with me but who cares?!? Their stifled mentality is everything that is wrong with Muslims today. Note I said Muslims, not Islam. Yes, Asad was cut from a different mold and had some controversial ideas involving this translation and his views. Born a European Jew, Asad wrote his translation with a sincere understanding of what Islam is really all about. His rational, non-hoodoo voodoo interpretation of Islam i ...more
Sheila
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
April 2011: This book is so huge (in actual physical size), so I am switching to a Kindle version of the Quaran, because I want to finish it, but I need something easier to hold and read. I read about one third of the book in this copy (through Surah 13) Will keep this beautiful book on the shelf for reference, and for the translation notes by Muhammad Asad, for when I want more details about certain passages.
Abood
Apr 01, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good translation...He strays from the accepted views of the majority of Sunni scholars through the ages in different questions such as what is meant by "Shaytan" and "Jinn" for example, making his translation an example of choose your own interpretation. Still, at least he qualifies many of his divergences, even if they are unacceptable, citing many of his sources and his line of reasoning. May God have mercy on him, for he passed away in Granada in 1992.
Cindy
For someone who studies Arabic at all or has any interest in Arabic, this is the version I recommend. Included in this edition is The English Translation, the actual Arabic, and a transliteration of the Arabic in roman script. At the bottom of each page are also notes on some of the more difficult to understand pieces of the Qur'an. Just remember that while this is only the Message of the Qur'an in the English translation, as it has the actual Arabic, it is an actual Qur'an in the sense that it ...more
Denise
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never having previously read any of the Qur'an, I was excited to receive this beautiful version of the classic English translation by Muhammad Asad. The layout has been updated so that each chapter includes the original Arabic text, its Arabic transliteration, and an English interpretation, with commentary. I have not read all of the chapters, but am happy to have this available as a reference. The artwork throughout, including the endpapers, is enchanting.
Chris
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Qur'an translations I've read, very scholarly while having a beautiful and touching translation. the only drawback is it's difficult to just 'read' - it's a huge book and requires setting time and everything else aside to focus on it, and you can't travel with it either.
Hamza
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: islam, religion, quran
I read this book about 5-6 years ago, but never reviewed it on Goodreads. It has a lot of Mu'tazili opinions and doesn't strictly stick to mainstream scholarship, though it does also rely quite a bit on classical Sunni scholar Fakhruddin ar-Razi. I'd have to reread it for a more in-depth review, but I definitely remember thinking this book was one of the better Qur'an translations and commentaries I'd ever read. Just be warned that it's physically huge!
Lina Samsudin
Dec 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reference, islam
Readers of Asad's English interpretation of the Qur'an are impressed by his unmatched eloquence in the English language as well as his emphasis on Arabic linguistics and his expounding upon many spiritual and social issues relevant to our contemporary cultures and societies.

However, while I have deep respect for the translator and know that the times he lived in (fall of the Ottoman Empire, European colonization of Muslim lands) were difficult ones to deal with, I can not accept the great leaps
Aaron (Okuyo) Toponce
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: islam, religious
I received this copy free from the Council for American Islamic Relations (CAIR) back in 2007. I have read it a couple times since then. Despite your religious beliefs, the religion of Islam is a fantastic, culturally rich religion, and so many of the people are beautiful, kind, warm individuals.

This book is a gorgeous copy of the Qur'an. It's a large hardback book, with high quality semi-gloss pages. On each page is the original Arabic in the right column, an English translation in the left col
Sabeeha Rehman
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite translation of the Quran. Muhammad Asad was an Austrian Jew, who travelled to Saudi Arabia, became a friend of King Saud, studied Arabic, and embraced Islam. He decided to go visit China and on his way stopped by in India. The poet Iqbal asked him to stay back in India, forego China, because 'we need you here'; Pakistan was being formed. Asad stayed, went on to become Pakistan's ambassador to the U.S. and eventually, translated and interpreted the Quran. His commenta ...more
Riobhcah
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful Quran! I am very much looking forward to reading this one. No doubt I will have a review of it to write later. How can one not be inspired by such a book?

The commentary in this edition is one of the most intelligently done that I have read so far.
Paul Wick
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most accessible translation out there.
Kelley
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started this last Ramadan (May 2018) with the goal of finishing it that month. It didn't work out so I finally got around to finishing it now, about a month before Ramadan 2019 (May 5 2019 about). I really recommend reading through English Quran or whatever your native language is. It is as valuable as Arabic Quran khatms. (Which I actually read alongside and also just finished alhamdulillah. Best of both worlds if you can manage it.)

I originally looked down on Asad's translation because I did
Eric Vinoverski
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book at all. There's a lot of fluff in it, and when I finished reading it, I felt like there was a lot that I didn't understand. Even so, I experienced brief moments of clarity, which might have had something to do with my mood while reading certain sections or might have been spiritual in nature. It's hard to say. I especially felt a connection to the book while reading The Spider at the end of the second volume. I also agree that Jesus was not the son of god but was, like Mohammed, j ...more
Lambda Moses
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
After reading several different English translations of the Quran, this is my favorite so far. This translation makes a lot of sense. While I don't always agree with the commentary, I find it make a lot of sense and explains a lot of difficult verses. I really admire Muhammad Asad's knowledge of history and linguistics, as well as the dialect of the Quraysh, which gave him understanding most other translators did not have.
Elwing
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent translation and interpretation of the Quran. I also find this edition particularly beautiful and with a good layout and index.

As for reviewing the Quran in itself? :) There are no words. Read it if you want to find out what I mean.
Syed
Brilliantly built on previous works .
Karl Hardy
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As-salaamu alaikum wr wb. This is my favorite translation now. I also love The Clear Qur’an, but this translation is by far the best I have ever read. I am currently looking to find this translation, in English only, to give out to non-Muslims.
Malin Näfstadius
I'm not sure I am able to review this, or if it even should be reviewed like this. I have not read Quran before, and I don't know how it is viewed within the muslim community, except for that the language of revelation always is the prefered one to get an in depth understanding.
I did however do some research on translations, and which to choose when I decided that I wanted to read it, and I discovered that it wasn't at all as straight forward as I had thought. There are other translations that m
Rima
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic and unsurpassed, this is a Qur'anic translation completed by an intellectual and literary genius.

I cannot recommend it enough to everyone. Whether you thrive on detailed analysis or prefer a hollistic perspective, Assad's phenomenal way of bringing the two together will leave you not only struck by the lingual beauty of the Qur'an but with a rich understanding of the Absolute nature of the text.

This is the life's work of a remarkable translator that should not go unread.

Assad makes sure the
Matti
Apr 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent translation of the message of the Holy Qu'ran as revealed by Gabriel to Muhammad (pbuh) from a Sunni viewpoint. It uses clear and eloquent, yet unencumbered language to drive forward the reality of Arabic in the time al-Nabi. This book contains a complete text translation of the Arabic version of the Holy Qu'ran in English, Arabic transliterated in the Latin alphabet, and Arabic proper. It also contains a bookmark with a pronunciation key to assist the reader in learning Cla ...more
Eb
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yes I gave the entire Quran 2 stars. That’s not to say Surah Ar-Rahman isn’t beautiful. It totally is...some of the other stuff isn’t so great though. I would’ve given it 3 stars except that the translator, Muhammad Asad, tries to translate away some of the more controversial passages and make them more palatable to the western reader. (Asad himself was a German convert who knew what would be acceptable to western audiences.)
Fw
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a message from the Lord of the Worlds, the Creator of mankind and of all creation. And He informs us (ch. 51 v. 56) that our PURPOSE in this world is to worship Him alone. What sets ISLAM apart from all other religions is that it makes God exclusive. A Muslim MUST reject all false objects of worship/idols and single out ALLAH for worship. Polytheism is the greatest form of oppression (ch. 31 v. 30). This is the central message of all the prophets and of the Qur'an.
Homayra
although some people dont like this version, CAIR gives it out and I personally really liked it (although I didnt agree with all the footnotes) but the translation is easy to understand because it isnt in British English. I would recommend giving this version to anyone who is interested in reading the Quran.
Kiel Bryant
The title means, "The nearest thing to the Quran available outside of Arabic." As only Arabic is the true Quran. A poor mashup of the Pentateuch and greek Gospels.

"And whoever desires other than Islam as religion - never will it be accepted from him, and he, in the Hereafter, will be among the losers." —Sura 3:85

• Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources
  • القرآن الكريم
  • In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad
  • Muhammad: A Prophet for Our Time
  • Qur'an and Woman: Rereading the Sacred Text from a Woman's Perspective
  • Understanding the Qur'an: Themes and Styles
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
  • Al-Ghazali on the Remembrance of Death and the Afterlife (Book XL of The Revival of the Religious Sciences)
  • The Heart of Islam: Enduring Values for Humanity
  • No god but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam
  • Approaching the Qur'an: The Early Revelations
  • Who Speaks For Islam?: What a Billion Muslims Really Think
  • Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenge and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet's Legacy
  • Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes
  • Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart
  • Reliance of the Traveller: A Classic Manual of Islamic Sacred Law
  • Marsbound (Marsbound, #1)
  • Hadith: An Introduction (Foundations of Islam)
محمد أسد (ليوبولد فايس سابقاً) ولد في الإمبراطورية النمساوية الهنجارية عام 1900، وتوفي في إسبانيا عام 1992م. وهو كاتب وصحفي ومفكر ولغوي وناقد اجتماعي ومصلح ومترجم ودبلوماسي ورحالة مسلم (يهودي سابقاً) درس الفلسفة في جامعة فيينا؛ وقد عمل مراسلاً صحفياً وبعد منحه الجنسية الباكستانية تولى عدة مناصب منها منصب مبعوث باكستان إلى الأمم المتحدة في نيويورك. وطاف العالم، ثم استقر في إسبانيا وتوفي فيها ودفن ف ...more

News & Interviews

“The parable of the life of this world is but that of rain which We send down from the sky, and which is absorbed by the plants of the earth1391 whereof men and animals draw nourishment, until – when the earth has assumed its artful adornment and has been embellished, and they who dwell on it believe that they have gained mastery over it1392 – there comes down upon it Our judgment, by night or by day, and We cause it to become [like] a field mown down, as if there had been no yesterday.1393” 0 likes