Start by marking “The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life” as Want to Read:
The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life

Dr. Ben Carson is known as the originator of ground-breaking surgical procedures, a doctor who turn impossible hopes into joyous realities. He is known as well as a compassionate humanitarian who reaches beyond corporate boardrooms to touch the lives of inner-city kids. What drives him? The Big Picture. A vision of something truly worth living for, something that calls for ...more
Published October 15th 2000 by Zondervan (first published January 26th 1999)

Start your review of The Big Picture: Getting Perspective on What's Really Important in Life
Angela
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A must read for everyone. He is a true example of the power of education. Dr. Carson states that education is an equalizer and he is right. One of many things I love about this book is how his mother's insistence that he read became a life changing/life defining moment for him. Books can transform lives and he is living proof of that.
Christina DeVane
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This has a lot of great information on a variety of subjects like education, politics, healthcare, etc. Really enjoyed his perspective on life and appreciate his life testimony and work. Amazing man!
Scott Tsao
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For me, having already read Dr. Carson's "America the Beautiful" and "Take the Risk", the 'meat' of this book really starts at Chapter 5 (Seeing the Big Picture). First of all, I noticed that Dr. Carson is a person who likes to use acrostics such as:
- Negative PEERS stands for People who Encourage Errors, Rudeness, and Stupidity.
- THINK BIG stands for Talent-Honesty-Insight-Nice-Knowledge-Books-In-depth learning-God.

Also, Dr. Carson considers himself a privileged person, any individual who has b
Friday Otuya
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
As I was scanning through the bookshelf on that fateful day, I sighted this book. Since I had been fired up by "Think Big", written by the same author, I thought it was worth considering. But when I encountered this message from the back of the cover page, I was convicted to digest the thoughts of Ben Carson. Here is the quote:
"In The Big Picture, Dr. Carson shares with you the overarching philosophy that has shaped his life, causing him to rise from failure to far-reaching influence. This boo
Catherine White
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ben Carson came on my radar when he became a household name after his speech at Obama's National Prayer Breakfast in 2013. In the prayer breakfast he lambasted the direction America is heading and warned about the perils of the “moral decay and fiscal irresponsibility” that face the nation.

The Big Picture, which came after the National Prayer Breakfast, is an excellent insight into his life and perspective as the world's foremost neurosurgeon. The book is primarily about the role of perspective,
Larisha
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As Jesus says.. "I came so that they may have life & life more abundantly," Dr. Carson shows that anyone can live life to its fullest when one lives by Godly principles,success is available to all!!

The Big Picture demonstrates that if one man could touch the world with his God given talents, we could all strive to empower others with the same enthusiasm. Everyone can be the victor, and not a victim regardless of one's beginnings.

Dr. Carson demonstrates that though we have no choice in our birth
Irene
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: medicine, faith
Ben Carson is an admirable figure: his story of rising from poverty to advanced neurosurgery is inspiring, and the way his faith permeates every aspect of his life, not least his work, was encouraging to witness. This book however, is repetitive, preachy and unrealistically visionary. It mostly consists of Dr Carson recounting speaking opportunities and the things “I told them” which are pretty much the same ideas and stories for the entirety of the book. Clearly a visionary leader, he also spen ...more
Em
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Ben Carson is a man of many accomplishments. He has some good ideas about a lot of things. But this book does him a disservice as it sounds preachy, pretentious, and repetative. I think this is an editorial problem. But it doesn't make me want to read another book anytime soon. I think if I had to do it all over again...I'd start with his original memoir and forget all the other books.
Glenda Nelson
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Again, I'm biased here. I attend the same discussion group at church with Dr. Carson. This man is truly an amazingly humble human being. I'm blessed to have made his acquaintance. His story is amazing and his dedication to family is inpsiring ... he leads by example.
Stacy
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
A wise friend recommended this book. Loved the author's outlook on parenting and education. Wide variety of topics from health care to racial diversity. Underlying theme promotes race relations/understanding. The author is a brain surgeon that specializes in separating siamese twins.
Nje
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had wanted to read this book for several years before I finally got a copy. It is a good recup of all his earlier book and more. I just feel encouraged to give my very best in whatever I do when I read Dr. Carson's book and this is no exception.
Eric Burgan
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. The last 2 chapters were a bit heavy on implementing change in the health care system, but the rest of the book was really empowering. Ben Carson did a great job and I am looking forward to reading his other books.
Mike Ncube
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motivation
One of Ben Carson’s best books full of inspiration and motivation
Julie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
So so.
Sylvia
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While reading this book, Ben Carson shines a vivid light into a hopeless situation. I first discovered this particular one roughly ten years ago, and while reading Dr. Carson's "The Big Picture" he really serves as a counselor and a compass to where true worth lies. In this book, he lays out basic principles that guided him from extreme poverty into being the youngest pediatric neurosurgeon of his time. He emphasizes the importance of reading, and how this was an essential key that bought him th ...more
Lesley
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another totally inspirational author. Unfortunately his books are not available in South Africa but are well worth ordering from the US. Ben Carson grew up in a single parent household, with an illiterate mother who had three jobs to try and make ends meet. Ben was violent (he even tried to stab a friend) and was the dumb kid in his class. At the age of 33 he became the youngest Head of Neurosurgery in the US. What happened in between? Find out when you read the book!
Heather
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone, but especially parents, teachers and healthcare professionals
Recommended to Heather by: It was a gift from a dear friend
Inspiring! Ben Carson shares his view of current American culture, our educational system and healthcare. His story includes a lot of good reminder for parents as he talks about being raised by an illiterate single mother in the projects of Detroit and how he overcomes his surroundings and becomes a prominent pediatric neurosurgeon.
Darlene
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This confirms that people can do anything that they make a priority. It was very uplifting for me to read about how Carson became a neurosurgeon amid the disadvantages he faced. His philosophy with regard to achievement can be applied to any situation. His humanitarian attitude is to be commended.

Angelaxuli
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I completely agree with his attitude of not being a victim. Especially like his comment about "politically correct". Loves what he says about what president should say "You look like a very capable person and I'm sure you can find a better job".

His suggestion about health care reform is also very interesting.
Don
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siamese twins, pray for direction, never underestimate allowing Him to operate, say prayers not worry, need more wisdom for big picture, tell lessons learned incredible potential, desire from 8 physical mental spiritual healing, turn off tv 2 programs and 2 books a week, enamored with sports as others history to learn from, high school peers, honesty insight/history nice/caring.
Andrew
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Carson jumps between medical procedures , politics and education. Carson has led an inspiring life and his perspective is unique. Carson's original memoir is still his best book but this is definitely another interesting look into the mind of Carson. Carson's dives into poverty, victim mentality, parenting and being nice to others.
Priscilla
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who feel they are inferior
Ben was about why u should succeed. I learn t that i need to work hard and Neva to follow bad peers (People who Encourage Errors, Rudeness and Stupidity). Also education was truly the great equalizer. Faith was also not left out in the first two chapters.
Alice
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I really liked Ben Carson when I read his first book,but in the years since I have felt even more love and respect for this gifted surgeon as we have become friends with the family of one of his pediatric patients who is now a thriving teenager!
Aurora
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational, pma
Dr. Ben Carson's story is so inspiring!!! Whether you're interested in the medical field or not, his story or perseverence is just absolutely astounding and definitely worth the read! =)

(if you saw my review for 'Gifted Hands', that was a mistake! i read 'The Big Picture')
Andy Anderson
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hardship, victim mentality, parenting, determining what's important and being nice are some of the authors topics. Great discussion on race relations, education and health care. A good book on looking at the big picture with many innovative ideas.
Reid Bednar
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly inspirational and full of life lessons. I appreciate how well rounded Ben Carson's intelligence is. He is the brightest neurosurgeon out there. This book taught me so much about life in general.
Jason Duncan
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Overall an excellent book.
An encouraging book that helps motivate us to strive & achieve our best with integrity.
Last chapter talks about the American health system, which is all relevant - & I do agree with. Though living in Australia gives me insight into their system.
Wendy
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A friend gave this book to my husband to read. As he read it and talked about it, I knew I wanted to read it. Carson is very insightful with his progressive thinking in so many areas of life. I think most open-minded people could gain much from reading this book.
Christabelle
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Another inspiring novel by carson!
Kamal
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Great story...great life... but misses the mark with its too simplistic of an approach and lot of repetition..

• Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Be Still My Soul
  • Amazing Grace: William Wilberforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery
  • Answers Book for Teens: Your Questions, God's Answers
  • An American Life
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • The Rose Conspiracy
  • The American Revolution: A Visual History
  • Bathtime Mathtime
  • Just One Year
  • A Field Guide to American Houses
  • Paula Deen: It Ain't All about the Cookin'
  • The Emancipation of Cecily McMillan: An American Memoir
  • No Parking at the End Times
Benjamin Solomon "Ben" Carson, Sr., M.D. is an American neurosurgeon and the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States by President George W. Bush in 2008.

News & Interviews