Start by marking “Weirdo Deluxe: The Wild World of Pop Surrealism & Lowbrow Art” as Want to Read:
Weirdo Deluxe: The Wild World of Pop Surrealism & Lowbrow Art

Weirdo Deluxe: The Wild World of Pop Surrealism & Lowbrow Art

"Lowbrow" it may be called, but high-profile best describes the cultural impact of this contemporary art movement. Found everywhere from wine labels and high-end bar accessories to major motion pictures (Teacher's Pet, the upcoming Pink Panther), the visibility of this dynamic work has rapidly increased in the last few years to worldwide recognition and acclaim. Weirdo Del ...more
Published March 3rd 2005 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Weirdo Deluxe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weirdo Deluxe

Start your review of Weirdo Deluxe: The Wild World of Pop Surrealism & Lowbrow Art
patty ramona
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent mix of artists and their work. Just purchased my own copy after checking out from the library. The Isabel Samaras work is reason enough to take a look.
Bethany
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
(3.5)

Great intro to a fabulous group os artists that I have been wanting to know more about. Pretty surface interviews, but worth it for the pictures. After reading you will know which ones you would like to investigate further.

Pet peeve: not enough info on the paintings themselves. For an art book it is nice to know what they were made with and the substrate - especially when the artist works in different ways.

Would have preferred a more straightforward timeline at the start of the book as the
Frederic
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: art, pop-culture
Surveys "pop surrealist" / "lowbrow" art through 23 artists, for each giving a selection of their work and responses to a series of questions about themselves, their influences, creative processes, etc. Like his floow-up Weirdo Noir: Gothic and Dark Lowbrow Art this would probably make a great coffee-table book in a Brooklyn hipster's flat; for me they're interesting and useful for considering the range of (fairly commercial) contemporary art. ...more
Carol Mann Agency
From Booklist

"The simultaneously retro and pomo lowbrow art movement is on display in cutting-edge galleries, such magazines as Juxtapoz, and such books as the long-running annual comics-art anthology Blab! Jordan points out in the introduction to this guided tour of the movement that the movement isn't itself lowbrow, though the influences on which it draws--punk rock, the tiki lounge revival, folk art, kitsch in general--decidedly are. Jordan showcases two-dozen artists, from pioneers (and for
Amanda
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: art-and-craft
My first actual review and it's for a book I didn't like. I don't usually do reviews of anything, but I thought this was needed for this book.

Ok, I was prepared to give this book a chance. I like learning new things, and just started getting interested in surrealism. However, this book was a disappointment. I had to look up lowbrow art online because the book isn't clear. The history segment was poorly put together, at times confusing and boring to read. The art presented in this book was intere
Nicholas Lubofsky
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'd recommend this book to anyone. I suppose someone who doesn't like art wouldn't have any interest in this book, but what a dull life!

This book contains sample art from a bunch of the greatest artists out there today. It's definitely the #1 book in my collection of books about art!
Deni
Oct 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: art-book, nonfiction
I learned that most of these artists live in LA in craftsman houses and drive hot rods. yawn. I enjoyed the work by Gary Panter and Gary Taxali the most.
Douglas
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
It's a good book, but there's a disturbingly strong correlation between being featured in this book and living in a craftsman house in the Los Angeles area and driving an old idiosyncratic car.
Athena
Glenn Barr
Amy
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: itslikeartdude
This is an incredibly awesome art book. Showcasing 23 different artists with samples of their work and their commentary, there's tons of eye candy in here. The gateway to a world of fun.
Sebastien
Mar 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Decent overview of lowbrow and pop surreal art. Wish the book was bigger though, the images would have come across better.
Rachel Jones
Mar 24, 2013
Mike Essl
Jan 05, 2008
Anna Pervukhin
May 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Great illustrations, but no more informative than average art history poultice.
Chris Klima

• The Witcher: House of Glass #1
  • Remarkables
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories
  • Seven Deadly Sins: Settling the Argument Between Born Bad and Damaged Good
  • Vans: Off the Wall (50th Anniversary Edition)
  • Rob Zombie Presents: The Haunted World of El Superbeasto
  • Being Black 'n Chicken, and Chips
  • The Grip of Film
  • Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • The All-American Hot Rod
  • Michael Jordan: The Life
  • How To Drive: The Ultimate Guide, from the Man Who Was the Stig
  • Sign Painters
  • The Cyclops Witch and the Heebie-Jeebies
  • The Blueprint: Lebron James, Cleveland's Deliverance, and the Making of the Modern NBA
  • The Envious Siblings: and Other Morbid Nursery Rhymes