Start by marking “Hellblazer: Tainted Love” as Want to Read:
Hellblazer: Tainted Love

Hellblazer: Tainted Love (Hellblazer Collection #3)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  2,283 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Following the breakup of the romance he hoped would redeem his soul, John Constantine joins the ranks of London's homeless, meeting a vicious vampire cult and revisiting the scene of one of his earliest encounters with dark magic.
Published July 1st 1998 by Vertigo (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hellblazer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellblazer

Mike
Aug 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun
Great example of how Ennis weaves good, revealing dialogue, philosophising and downright angry fun-making into a tidy package. Not terribly horrifying...except when it is. And takes a sudden turn to the sights of people and...other things being awful to those around them.

And when Constantine gets up the energy to start conducting himself towards his indecent plans - doesn't just make do with the time among his friends and family - he's a right bastard. Even lets those around him see the side th
Quentin Wallace
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything I read one of these Hellblazer volumes I am reminded of why Ennis, Dillon and Fabry are one of my favorite creative teams of all time.

In this one we see Constantine at his absolute lowest: an alcoholic, homeless bum. There's also an encounter with the King of Vampires, a look at how Kit is getting along without him, some disturbing incidences from his youth, and a revelation triggered by a WWII ghost.

Another great volume with art that matches perfectly. A must for any Hellblazer fan,
Mike Cruden
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is definitely one of the better Hellblazer compilations. The first few stories recount Constantine's life as a down-and-out in London following the break-up of his relationship with Cat and his encounter with the Lord of the Vampires, and the final story details a Young John's encounter with a perverted priest, all entertaining enough, but the highlight of the volume for me was a simple tale of Cat's night out with her friends in Dublin, in which Constantine doesn't even appear except as a ...more
Printable Tire
More liminal zoning-out for John Constantine. Guy still can't seem to get a break, but since I'm not familiar with the preceding comics, I have no idea if his descent into drunken vagrancy (where with beard he looks appropriately like myself on a bad day) is as dully warranted as this hard-biting book would want me to wish. Despite all the stories of gay James Dean vampires and penis-eating monsters and turned-off perverted priests, inarguably the best story in this lot doesn't have Constantine ...more
Irene
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Hasta ahora, es la parte que menos me ha gustado de todos los números de Constantine. No sé si me ha gustado verlo -casi- tocando fondo.
Andrew
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok i will admit that i am a fan of Garth Ennis and have been ever since i read the Preacher series and the story board and artwork of this chapter in the story of John Constantine does not disappoint - but more so the book itself - the quality of the paper and the binding i also feel has improved from earlier books - and yes as shallow as that sounds to me reading is as much a tactile experience as it an imaginary one.
But the book - the story really does come alive and really captures the essen
Felix
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
"Tainted Love" tells the story of John Constantine's descent into homelessness and alcoholism after Kit has left him. Ennis throughout shows his talent as a writer of well-rounded characters, the superb issue "Heartland" certainly forming the apogee of his skill, when showing Kit's life in Belfast and the reunion with her old friends. The reason why I don't give five points is that the last two issues of the collection fail to keep up the supreme standard (they're still good quality, though).
Jedhua
My Brief Bookshelf Overview: gave-up-before-finishing, grim, likable-or-deep-characters, mature, story-not-intriguing-enough, violent

Additional Notes: This collection contains Hellblazer issues #69-71, and Hellblazer Special.
Indika De Silva
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
Scary, brilliant and nerve wreaking...

Sounds just the right description for Hellblazer graphic novel written by the very talented Garth Ennis.

A must read...
Rowena Hoseason
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This volume contains one of my all-time favourite JC stories (Finest Hour), one tale which I absolutely can't abide (Heartland) and a couple of other stand-out stand-alone episodes (Confessional and Rough Trade) which boil the essence of Hellblazer down to its absolute best. Humanity balanced against outright evil, with Constantine as the unwilling pivot point.

Unlike some other compilations, this anthology doesn't have a particularly compelling unifying thread. It finds JC in the gutter, explore
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have serious problems believing that Kit's leaving would cause John to become homeless on the streets. However, other than that, this is a strong volume. The best is "Finest Hour" (#71), which is one of Ennis' first takes on the war comic genres, and it really shows his love for the topic. The rest of the comics are all enjoyable, showing Constantine's kick-butt spirit (particularly in #68-69) and Ennis' enjoyment of horror (particularly in the special).
Kirsten
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
After losing his girlfriend, Kit, in the previous collection, John Constantine has hit a new low and is living on the street. This collection is longer on character development and shorter on action than some of the other collections, but I still loved it. Plus Constantine's drunken confrontation with the King of the Vampires is brilliant! You definitely need to at least read Dangerous Habits and Fear & Loathing before you read this one, though.
Isaac Timm
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Isaac by: Jimmy
Shelves: 2008, graphic-novels
Read one Hellblazer graphic novel in a day, and your like huh..read two Hellblazer graphic novels and Crime and Punishment and your brain goes to mash. Vampires, WWII ghosts, and pencils, now I'm scared of frigin' pencils thanks Jimmy, your wanker. Peace out

P.S. J/K Jimmy your not a wanker, just an odd duck, but look whose talkin' (Pow, Bam, Ka-Zaam)
Morgan
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
John is down in the dumps and he becomes a homeless wino. It is a good exploration of character, but I'm really glad that it didn't last long. This was about all that I could take. I'm more a fan of Constantine firing on full cylinders. It does have one of my favorite Hellblazer stories in it, Finest Hour (the ghost pilot one).
Mark
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
My problem with the Hellbalzer graphic novels is that they are not in order, they skip around making them kind of confusing to follow. That said I'm a huge fan of Garth Ennis' "Preacher" series and so far think his take on Constatine is much better than Delano's. And the fact that first story in this collection involves vampires helps too.
Julien V
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, do-not-own
For a few issues, Ennis has traded smart storytelling for plain shock value (as we've seen in Preacher and, especially, The Boys). It's a little disappointing... At first, Ennis brought fresh air to Hellblazer, compared with the heavy handed emo approach of the last Delano issues. But around issue 65 it starts to feel lazy and cheap in comparison.
Derek
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Issue #71 is probably Garth Ennis' best Issue of Hellblazer yet. Though it seemed like a bit of a stretch that J.C. would become homeless after breaking up with Kit, the issues #68 - 69 were a refreshing take on our beloved antihero.
Overall, not a bad volume.
Kate
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Not a bad volume. More recollections and flashbacks as we see John Constantine brought to his lowest after the end of his relationship with Kit. The encounter with the king of the vampires and the final story were the standout ones for me but all in all still enjoyable.
M.i.
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apart from one story, this was a solid volume. The brilliance of Constantine is how magic is so secondary in telling his story. Even the supernatural beings have a human quality to them. My favorite bit was the father who had lost his faith.
Matt
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read too many of these, but this book was really good.
Lauri
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hellblazer parhaimmillaan. Elu asotsiaalina Londoni tänavatel, võitlus King of Vampires'iga, kohtumine IIst maailmasõjast pärit noore lenduri vaimuga jne. Üks parimaid kogumikke sarjas.
Jeff
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
very of color, but we'll written... so right on par for Ennis.
Matt
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hellblazer
Another really good volume. The Tainted Love two-parter is excellent, and the Heartland one-off is heartwarming, in its own way. Great stuff.
Lisa
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This was ok but not one of the stronger Constantine's in part because he is too moppy for a large chunk of it.
Metagion
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really good "background" story on John Constantine and how redemption can be either your salvation, or damnation...some days, you never can tell. Worth a look. :)
Devon H.
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The first half is pretty slow, but when it picks up pace it flies. Ennis is a fab writer for this series.
Christopher
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
A few regular issues mixed with a special and other material. Again, decent but not great. Confessional was a nice story.
Dan
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good mix of tainted loves.
Frankie C
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Not my favorite.
DeAnna Knippling
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A quieter Hellblazer, that doesn't try so hard, and it works.
  • Hellblazer: Rare Cuts
  • Hellblazer: Setting Sun
  • Hellblazer: Black Flowers
  • Hellblazer: Freezes Over
  • Hellblazer: The Laughing Magician
  • Hellblazer: Scab
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more
More about Garth Ennis

Hellblazer Collection (5 books)
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits