Start by marking “The Tao of Healthy Eating: Dietary Wisdom According to Traditional Chinese Medicine” as Want to Read:

Chinese dietary therapy is one of the most important aspects of Chinese medicine. The Tao of Healthy Eating illuminates the theory and practice of Chinese dietary therapy with emphasis on the concerns and attitudes of Westerners. Commonsense metaphors explain basic Chinese medical theories and their application in preventive and remedial dietary therapy. It features a ...more
Published February 1st 1998 by Blue Poppy Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tao of Healthy Eating, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tao of Healthy Eating

Start your review of The Tao of Healthy Eating: Dietary Wisdom According to Traditional Chinese Medicine
David
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Obvious virtues of this book: it's very short (2 days) and cheapily/readily available. Basically this is an introduction to Traditional Chinese Medicine seen through the lens of diet. The author explains the basics of energy as it is stored and transported or transformed and then gives an overview of nutrition and how to eat. The view laid out here is pretty much macrobiotics but 1)not as restrictive 2)emphasizes fresh cooked vegetables a bit more than macro (at the expense of grains) 3) is ...more
ELIZABETH TIERNEY
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and "sweet". Encapsulates some TCM basics. Useful and accessible.
Tim Murphy
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've just dabbled in this book recently and once I have a clearer head, will read the rest. So far, I'm impressed by the coverage and helpfulness of it.
Joshua
Short, easy to read introduction to chinese dietary theory and practice. In a nutshell, stick to a basic middle burner spleen-benefiting diet which consists of "warm food cooked fresh and eatern warm, lots of fresh vegetables, lots of grains, some beans, a little animal protein of all sorts and varieties, moderate amounts of fruits seeds and oils, and not much concentrated sweets oils, or fats."

I was frustrated trying to perform his suggested exercise of identifying why the recipes "work", since
Ad Astra
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
There are some good pointers and discussion topics in here. I think it's a good place to do some research with but I don't feel like I understood the theory behind Eastern Medicine as much as I'd like. There's a nice break down of recipes towards the back with a description of their effect on the bottom.
Laurie
Dec 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Quick read which gives a BASIC overview of eating according to traditional chinese medicine. I am still a little fuzzy on some of the concepts but I have a little better understanding. Interesting food for thought (pun not intended).
Erika
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
a must read when your ready to really learn how to eat healthy and drop your western ideals as to what health really means.
Heydi Smith
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-non-fic
An interesting introduction to eating healthy and knowing what each food does to your body.
Jen
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting, quick and digestible (sorry) introduction to Chinese Dietary Therapy. It's whetted my appetite (couldn't resist) to investigate deeper into the topic.
Jeff
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
It starts off a little dry with too many Chinese characters and words for my taste. Once you get past the history and introduction it's more interesting.
Jared Austin
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very insightful book which taught me several things about proper dietary habits. I've started making some changes in my eating/drinking habits and have already noticed a difference.
Jo Mc
Feb 06, 2015
Kim Upton
Jan 02, 2010
Lumpy Dirtball
rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2018
Jan 18, 2016
Sheri
Nov 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Wild Indigo (A Wild Mystery #1)
  • The Zahir
  • CultureShock! Spain: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette
  • Fair Game: My Life as a Spy, My Betrayal by the White House
  • The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • The Crisis of Islam: Holy War and Unholy Terror
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Reizen zonder John: op zoek naar Amerika
  • Prince of Fire (Gabriel Allon, #5)
  • The Andalucia Guide
  • The Buddha's Teachings on Prosperity: At Home, At Work, In the World
  • Six Years
  • The Secret Servant (Gabriel Allon, #7)
  • Merchants in the Temple: Inside Pope Francis's Secret Battle Against Corruption in the Vatican
  • The Mistress's Daughter
  • Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations about Food and Money
  • On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
Bob Flaws (born 1946) is a practitioner of and prolific author and translator on Chinese medicine. He began his study and practice of Chinese medicine in 1977 under the late Eric (Xi-yu) Tao of Denver, Colorado and continued his Chinese medical education at the Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine from 1982 to 1986. In 1982, he and his wife, Honora Lee Wolfe, established Blue Poppy ...more

News & Interviews