Start by marking “もやしもん 1” as Want to Read:
もやしもん 1

もやしもん 1 (Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  280 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

Tadayasu is a new, fresh-faced university student hiding a bizarre secret: He can see germs with the naked eye. Between the machinations of an eccentric professor determined to unlock the power of the microbial world and the doomed agricultural experiments of his fellow students, will Tadayasu ever find the cool college atmosphere he so desires?
223 pages
Published May 23rd 2005 by Kōdansha

To ask other readers questions about もやしもん 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about もやしもん 1

Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
If 銀の匙 Silver Spoon 1 Gin no Saji Silver Spoon 1 was a perfect book to whet your appetite on the bounty of nature, then Moyasimon must be a perfect book to turn it off.

I do enjoy reading all the trivia and knowledge about microorganisms, but I don't recommend reading this before eating.

Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-sold
Never thought I would enjoy a Japanese Manga about bacteria! Turns out to be very educational and informative and presented in a humorous way.
Diana Dang
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bacterias are microscopic organisms. They surround us constantly, from being in the food we eat to the insides of our bodies. No one can see them with a naked eye. No one, except Tadayasu Sawaki.

A new student at an agriculture university, Sawaki is able to see germs that surround him. With his special ability, he gets tangled up in funny situations and meets a couple of odd people here and there. An absolute hit series in Japan, Moyasimon is brought to North America to reveal an adorable and edu
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the anime before reading the manga. I really liked the anime and it was pretty true to the manga. Regardless of the ridiculous premise of the ability of the protagonist to see bacteria and viruses, it is entertaining and educational. And it isn't just about microbiology and the science of fermentation, but also to some extent the Japanese culture and how they are covered by the Japanese cultural phenomenon that is anime and manga.

The fact that a story like this can be created to be ent
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vicki by: The Anime World Order podcast
Shelves: manga-and-comics
Notes are just on volume 1.

I love Moyashimon! Its a series about a groups of students (and their professors) at an agricultural university, where one of the students happens to be able to see microbes with the naked eye...and he sees them as cute little blobs with faces, in varying different shapes.

Here are some of the things I like most about it:

- It sits firmly in the slice-of-life genre, giving a somewhat meandering glimpse into the life and times of the characters without any particularly st
Stephanie Griffin
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MOYASIMON: TALES OF AGRIGULTURE, is a manga with intelligence and humor. Written by Masayuki Ishikawa, it centers on Tadayasu, a young man from a rural family, along with his best friend Kei. Tadayasu has the power to see and communicate with bacteria of all kinds. This comes in handy when the two friends go off to an agricultural college in Tokyo. After all, bacteria are everywhere.
As soon as they enter the college, Tadayasu and Kei encounter bootleggers, smelly buried seals, initiation rites,
Geoff Sebesta
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best educational manga I've read for a long time. It's a story about a little boy who can see germs with the naked eye, and in all other ways it is a perfectly normal high school manga. There's nothing special about the story in any way at all, it's just a method for transferring microbiology information from the author's head to yours, and it works remarkably well at that.
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tre stelle e 1/2
The premise is interesting, but not particularly funny.
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
A weird tale about a boy who can see bacteria and his adventures in an agriculture school. Characters could better, we'll see how this goes.
Benjamin Uke
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
A cute manga about a freshmen college student at an agricultural university, who has a unique ability to see and communicate with bacteria.
Graham P
A uniquely fresh entry into the world of manga - no big titty super-heroines, no supernatural sidekicks, no teenage angst, and no apocalyptic landscapes filling up every frame. What Ishikawa does here is lay down a simple tale of a young man entering an agricultural college right outside of Tokyo. What makes him unique is that he can see bacteria - every type of germ - from the common cold virus to yeast and even e. coli (which propels the book's most memorable scene, thanks to somebody not wash ...more
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading manga, and it took a little to figure out how to read it: left to right, top to bottom, and the fine print is a translation of the writing in the scene, for instance on signs. This is a very fun story of a college freshman who has a superpower - the ability to see microorganisms with his naked eye. A story of fermentation and the role that bacteria and yeast play in the health (and infection) of our lives unfolds. The illustrations are detailed and the story is ful ...more
Venus Maneater
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Like most manga that are heavily centered around an existing theme, Moyashimon is filled to the brim with random trivia.

from Sake to Kiviak, no matter how obscure, Masayuki Ishikawa makes sure you know exactly what part of their creation is made possible by microorganisms.

Don't expect too much of an adventure, their won't be. Don't expect too much humor, either, no slap sticks in this manga!
It's mostly a lot of fun to observe life through Tadayasu's eyes.
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics
Well, this was different. Moyasimon is set at an agricultural college, and stars a boy who can see (and interact with) microscopic organisms like mold spores and bacteria. Meanwhile, one of the characters (a professor) gives lectures about the nature of these tiny critters that are actually rather fascinating. After reading the first volume of Moyasimon, you will know about traditional sake brewing practices, and have a very good idea of the sort of conversations tiny, adorable yeast have amongs ...more
Kristin Fletcher-spear
while I enjoyed reading it, this manga is text heavy with a lot of explanation of microbes, fermentation, and germs. That part is not really my cup of tea. If the gn had just been a slice of life college freshman story with the ability to see germs, then I would have really enjoyed it. Too bad the professor and his assistant had to ruin the last half of the book for me.
Jacqui Geisel
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-read
Note: review is for the series up to where I've read (volume 2).

This series is unique, funny, and even educational! I wish they'd release more volumes in English...why does this always seem to happen to the series I like?

As a side note, if you think the microbes are cute here, just wait until you watch the anime. They are even more adorable with movement and voices.
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this manga. It's a story about microbes and a boy who can see and hear them. He is a Freshman at a Japanese Agricultural college. It is amazing how much I learned about college in Japan and fermented Japanese products. Don't let the learning scare you away. It is also a great coming of age story.
Jan 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
When I picked up this book, I thought that the premise sounded really interesting. The protagonist can see germs (and they're very cute). And it started out very promisingly. However, it quickly became an education treatise on different types of germs. Not really my idea of light and fun reading.
Jan 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The best college comedy about an agriculture student with the magical ability to see and communicate with germs, which appear to him as cute little Japanese designs, that I've ever read. (Also, the only).

Long-er review and some images here:
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky and funny--like Ohikkoshi crossed with Mushishi. The skewed sense of humor is a surprise and treat. Where else will you find a manga that has bacteria who say gozaru? I wish I had a copy to lend out, though, so I could determine what the audience is beyond, well, me.
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book, I picked it up randomly because of it's odd premise. It turns out to be worth the long read. It has an excellent mix of humor and lecture! You actually can learn a thing or two from this series while enjoying the mishaps and problems the main character stumbles through!
sweet pea
a bizarre premise. bizarre characters. somehow, it's appealing. it's my favorite graphic novel set in an agricultural college, for sure. i love it for the sheer specificity of the topic. not a series i wish to continue. but it did have it's interesting, amusing, and bizarre moments.
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embrace the microbiota all around you - now visible to the naked eye. Enroll in Tokyo Agricultural University without leaving your armchair or having to learn Japanese. Savor some amazing fermented food and beverages.
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun introduction to manga. I liked the premise better than the story itself (maybe because it was serialized and I couldn't get wrapped up in it very easily), but the bacteria were adorable and I came away surprised to feel like I learned a lot.
Travis Romano
Moyasimon is about the day to day college life of a boy who just happens to be able to see microbes with the naked eye. Don't expect some big mystery over how he has this power, or drama over the consequences of using his powers. It is a simple light hearted comedy.
Erin Jones
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite the informative manga. Didn't expect to learn so much about bacteria and agricultural processes. I particularly enjoyed the cute illustrations and funny moments. Looking forward to reading the second volume.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, 2012-books
never knew bacteria could be this much fun!
cute microbes! lots of facts that can put you to sleep, but funny manga.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Antique Bakery, Vol. 1
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Genkaku Picasso, Vol. 3
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 1
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 1
  • The Drops of God 1 (The Drops of God, #1-2)
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 003 (Pluto, #3)
  • Black Jack, Vol. 1
  • Yakitate!! Japan, Volume 1
Masayuki Ishikawa ( 石川 雅之, Ishikawa Masayuki, born July 29, 1974 in Sakai, Osaka, Japan) is a Japanese manga artist best known for creating Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture and Junketsu no Maria.

Applied to the College of Arts, but was rejected. While working part-time at a transportation company, he got an interested in manga magazines, and between age 18 and 19, he started submitting to Weekly Yo
More about Masayuki Ishikawa...

Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture (10 books)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 2

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99