Start by marking “The Three Little Rigs” as Want to Read:
The Three Little Rigs

The Three Little Rigs

From the author/illustrator of Extremely Cute Animals Operating Heavy Machinery!

"Will mesmerize tool-and-vehicle-obsessed little ones" (ALA Booklist). "Kids who love trucks will enjoy this adaptation" (School Library Journal).

When the three little rigs set out to build their own garages, each one thinks that his is going to be the strongest. But then the big bad wrecking
Published May 10th 2005 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Three Little Rigs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Little Rigs

Start your review of The Three Little Rigs
Amy
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Three Little Rigs is a really cute, clever retelling of The Three Little Pigs. All of the correct elements of the original story were there, but the twists were just quite creative, and I think they were quite appealing to boy readers (in particular?). My nephew really enjoyed this book, which I fully expected, but my niece was pretty impressed with it too, and that surprised me! Both kids had their noses right in those pages, and both were processing and enjoying the story. The author did a ...more
Ebookwormy1
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
A hit with my truck loving son. Not only is the three little pigs spoof cute, he is learning about saw mills, air compressors, nail guns, stone cutting factories, cement mixers mortar, steel mills, steel beams, welding machines. Of course, appearances by cranes are always welcome with him as well. An excellent addition to our regular rotation and wishlist.
Mama Bibliosoph
I’m always on the hunt for books that do fairy tales well. But until recently, I haven’t been willing to consider introducing books that “twist” the tale since my children still need to learn the original stories. I don’t want to confuse them, particularly because of how scripted and rigid they can be about text. This may sound a bit paranoid, but fairy tales are foundational to Western culture (and important to me).

Luke and Harry, however, now have The Three Little Pigs in their repertoire, so
Margaret
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable twist on the story of the three little pigs with a surprise ending. Preschoolers with truck obsessions will love this!
Annie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a cute story. Read it to a boy I babysat, then we enacted the story with his rigs or "diggers"
Eliot Reads
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Construction truck version of the classic fairy tale, very clever.
Faye
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very creative take on a classic tale. Well done!
Katherine Decker
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute take on the three little pigs, good for truck lovers
Joseph
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Basically the 3 little rigs is the 3 little pigs if you didn't figure that out from the title... A little gory at the end though...
Laurie
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A four star review! Required 4 reading requests from a 3 year old during a 5 hour visit.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute take on the classic fairy tale
Bailey
My preschool class asked for this again and again. Their top pick for our transportation unit!
Terri
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a unique, clever take on the classic, “The Three Little Pigs.” Rigs=Pigs - this would be a great book to use to teach rhyme. I liked the more contemporary machinery and building aspects of this book (published in 2005). The ending, however, is lacking - suddenly the cranes that technically control the wrecking balls become the heroes of the story? That didn’t make any sense. Plus, the melting of the “bad guys” seemed a little macabre, especially for little ones. However, this will be an ...more
Hannah
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A construction vehicle version of the Three Little Pigs.
Bonnie Ferrante
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the more unique adaptations of The three Little Pigs I have read. A yellow, a blue, and a red rig set out on their own. David Gordon explains what tools and materials are used by each rig to build their own garage. The blue one uses wooden planks which are knocked down by the big, bad wrecking ball. The second uses stone blocks, which are also knocked down by the big, bad wrecking ball. The third rig uses steel beams to build his garage. The wrecking ball is unable to knock it ...more
Melanie
A fun retelling of the three little pigs with construction equipment. The three littles are rigs, as in cranes. And the big, bad wolf is a wrecking ball. The first little rig builds his house out of wood, which the wrecking ball has no problem with. Neither does he have a problem with the bricks of the second little rig. But the third rig builds his house out of steel and has less trouble with mr. wrecking ball. So big, bad ball goes and gets reinforcements in the way of a giant magnet and steel ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Well, this one was different. It's a version of "The Three Little Pigs" only with cranes (the machine kind, not the bird). The illustrations were colorful, but the text was sparse and lacked drama. It was the bare bones of the story, with everything changed to trucks and machines--no extra spark. Boys will like it, I'm sure, with all the different machines and the descriptions of how to build garages out of different types of materials, not to mention the big mean old wrecking ball and his nasty ...more
Fred Kirchner
Feb 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Best picture book I've read in 18 months. And no--that's not a typo--it's most definitely the 3 Little Rigs, young smart trucks (not pigs) out to build their own garages and make their way in the world of sentient construction vehicles. Made me wish I was a taxi and could be a journalist in this fully created world, where the author, David Gordon, has created the paintings and the text. Buy it for your kids; buy if for your nephew; buy it for your neice; read it to all the little kids you love. ...more
Jean-Marie
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture_book
Momma Rig sends her three little rigs off into the world. Each builds a garage - one of wood, one of brick and one of steel. Then the big bad wrecking ball comes along to smash and bash their garages in. Time to tell the Three Little Pigs to wee wee wee all the way home, because this read is perfect for the youngest grease monkeys everywhere. And my 3-year-old son couldn't stop looking at, admiring and discussing the brightly colored illustrations. A fun read for sure!
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian) O'Donnell
Another fun one for truck fans, this is a story many young ones will find familiar but will give those who love their big-rigs a great twist. (Three little rigs build their garages, hoping the big bad wrecking ball won't knock them down.) The pictures in our library's copy felt a little dark, but that might be the age of it. Otherwise, it reads really well and the story can be clearly recognized by littler kids.
Erin
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
While not my favorite, my three-year-old LOVES this. And in all fairness, it is a cute adaptation of the Three Little Pigs for those who prefer their fairy tales and fables with a side of construction or trucks.

(view spoiler)
Meltha
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute and probably very boy-friendly (or girls who love cars and machines) version of the story with the wolf replaced with a wrecking ball. There is actually a bit of discussion of different kinds of tools here as well as anthropomorphized illustrations of them as well. It's a unique idea and a fun retelling.
Rachel
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-l-544
Genre: Traditional Literature
Copyright: 2009
Thoughts: This was a really fun version of The Three Little Pigs. This version uses cars and other junkyard vehicles. The big bad wolf was portrayed through a wrecking ball. The images were fun and I think that boy students would really enjoy this version.
Tressa
Apr 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents of little boys obsessed with cars and smashing them up
Shelves: juvenile
This book is too cute. It's the story of the Three Little Pigs told by three little rigs. The wrecking ball wears an evil grin on his face and is scarier than the big bad wolf. I'm sure some little girls will enjoy this book, but it's got everything little boys obsessed with cars, trucks, and crashes might look for in a story.

Highly recommended.
Greggd
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Paula
A truck version of the three little pigs but instead of pigs there are rigs and the mean wolf is not found but a wrecking ball. This would be a great read for those boys that love anything on wheels.
Three little rigs look for help when the big, bad wrecking ball comes to destroy their garages.
Angie
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
Little ones who love trucks and big machinery will like this one. Just saw it on the shelf at the public library and decided to try it. Good ... but not spectacular. Fractured fairy tales have a place. You don't need to run to get this one but if you see it on the shelf feel free to pick it up.
Deana
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a good adaptation of the original. Illustrations are mostly good, some are a little dark and might be hard to see in a storytime setting. This would definitely work well for a pre-school or toddler storytime.
Keeley
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kids
I found that I couldn't figure out how this book was going to end! He really made it fun and suspenseful, even though we know how the traditional story ends. I am so excited about these books of his. I hope there are more.
Kristine
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Miss Hannah (our local children's librarian) --another great one for my truck loving son who has read this every night for the past 10 days. Tale of 3 little cranes told following the plot of the three little pigs.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Little Excavator
  • First Snow
  • The King of Kindergarten
  • Bitty Baby Loves the Snow
  • Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • The Construction Crew
  • Tap Tap Bang Bang
  • Construction Countdown
  • Building a House
  • Dasher
  • You Are My Friend: The Story of Mister Rogers and His Neighborhood
David Gordon has done visual development for numerous production companies from Lucasfilm to Pixar, including Toy Story; Monsters, Inc.; A Bug’s Life; Cars; BlueSky’s Robots; and Nickelodeon’s Spongebob Squarepants. He’s also written and illustrated several picture books, among them Hansel and Diesel, The Three Little Rigs, The Ugly Truckling, and Smitten. He’s one of the illustrators of Jon ...more