Start by marking “The Worlds of Frank Herbert” as Want to Read:
The Worlds of Frank Herbert

The Worlds of Frank Herbert

The Worlds of Frank Herbert is a collection of eight short stories written by science fiction author Frank Herbert. All of the stories in this collection had been previously published in magazines.

This collection consists of:

A-W-F Unlimited
The Featherbedders
The GM Effect
Escape Felicity
Published September 1st 1977 by Berkley (first published December 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Worlds of Frank Herbert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Worlds of Frank Herbert

Jacob
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Well that ended on a silly sexist note. Sadly it had a lot of sexist notes to it throughout. All the sad earmarks of using fake science to back up prejudice instead of allowing science to free you from the grip of prejudice. Happens often in Vintage SciFi but normally FH doesn't get tripped up by it. This collection he did.
Zantaeus Glom
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Masterful sf by a witty writer of great skill. Thus far, I have found Frank Herbert's 'aliens' to be the most 'alien', his attention to fine detail is to be lauded; not only did I have great interest and empathy in these myriad beings; due to the depth of Herbert's characterization I was also deeply moved by their plight. It is a real shame that this collection seems to be out of print. (if you write speculative fiction, this is a MUST-READ!)

I don't know if Frank Herbert wrote any more short st
Andrew
Aug 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
A collection of short stories by Frank Herbert. Herbert was an author whose true talent was the novel; unfortunately his short stories just aren't on the same level of interest or excellence.

The first short story, The Tactful Saboteur, introduces saboteur extraordinary Jorj X. McKie, the protagonist in Whipping Star and The Dosadi Experiment. The other short stories are interesting, in their way. The GM Effect shows us Herbert playing with the concept of genetic memory, an idea better implemente
Liz Brau
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read for a Herbert fan! Many of the short story ideas you can see in other novels, and the Saboteur short story gives some extra detail to the Pan Spechi (woh, I just got that name - pan species), one of my favorite aliens in Frank's world.
Sean Hall
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A mixed bag of stories from 1958-67, some of which I found hard to get into - somewhat lengthy procedural sequences and dialogue exchanges, but every now and then there are unique concepts and fantastic details of a world not our own. I like how Herbert brings into his stories a fascination with insects and his occasional inclusion of the existence of sex and breeding.
Aaron the Pink Donut
Not his best work. This collection will appeal only to those die hard completest of Herbert's Work
Nathan
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Being a long time fan of an author has certain difficulties, especially if your desire to love their work comes up against mediocre examples of it. It's happened to me with even some of my most beloved writers. Yet, after my initial resistance I have no choice but to call it like it is. I'd loved Herbert's Dune series for many years. They're such deep, imaginative, relevant works of fiction, let alone Sci-fi. Yet as I've managed to scrape together some of his earlier and more obscure works, I've ...more
Jobby
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love reading stuff by Frank Herbert. This book has 8 short stories by him. Some are set in the far future while others feel like they are almost modern day. They are all clever though and all get you thinking.
The first story, Tactful Saboteur, features the familiar character of Jorj X McKie, who was the main character in the novels Whipping Star and The Santaroga Barrier.
Mating Call must have the freakiest ending (a grim twist to it). I also really enjoyed Old Rambling House and The Fea
Robin
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction fans and bored people
This was an excellent selection of way, way out there Herbert stories. The experience was only lessened by having already read a few of the stories in other collections.
I enjoyed the collection so much that I have already passed it on, and also I have (once again) randomly discovered that one of the short stories is linked to a short novel I already own an old paperback copy of (oh, the days before spellcheck) and have begun reading.
nick
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
how id rate each story
(1)2 (2)3 (3)1 (4)3 (5)4 (6)2 (7)3 (8)2 (9)2.5

there where moments when it was to silly & uncreative. choppy & randomly shoved together. vaguely making out dated points.

If youve read anything by him before then this will be disappointing, though its still worth reading.
Peter
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good vintage Herbert here. Especially 'The Tactful Saboteur', introducing Jorj X McKie, later star of 'Whipping Star' and 'The Dosadi Experiment'.

From memory, that was the first Herbert short I read and 'Dune' the first novel.

Made me a lifelong fan.
Andrewcharles420
May 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sf12
Love the author, but this compilation of short stories really has nothing to offer. Has all the worst aspects of short stories--just a hint of a good idea in every other story with 30 pages of irrelevant wrapping around it to provide context, and no plot or character development.
*Kashi*
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: frank-herbert
Excellent collection! Love the "Mating Call" and "Tactful Saboteur"
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Louise Armstrong
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
A bit dated and like so much old SF, not much of interest for girls.
bluetyson
The Worlds Of Frank Herbert by Frank Herbert (1970)
Brian Conway
Metaphorosis
Feb 11, 2012
  • The Battles of Dune
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • Making History & Reality Dust (Xeelee Sequence, #6)
  • Lost Worlds: Volume 1: Zothique, Averoigne and Others
  • All Fools' Day
  • High Tech/High Touch: Technology and Our Search for Meaning
  • Year's Best SF 12
  • A Touch of Strange
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Silent War (The Grand Tour #11; The Asteroid Wars #3)
  • Psychohistorical Crisis
  • There Is No Darkness
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
  • Helliconia Summer (Helliconia, #2)
  • The Science of Dune
  • If I Were An Evil Overlord
  • Genesis
Frank Herbert was a critically acclaimed and commercially successful American science fiction author.

He is best known for the novel Dune and its five sequels. The Dune saga, set in the distant future and taking place over millennia, dealt with themes such as human survival and evolution, ecology, and the intersection of religion, politics, and power, and is widely considered to be among the classi
“The pursuit of unhappiness is an inalienable right of all humans.” 9 likes
“The limit of the law is the limit of enforcement—the real limit of organized society.” 4 likes