Start by marking “The Night Is For Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Night Is For Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)

The Night Is For Hunting

(Tomorrow #6)

Hell's a big place, but it gets crowded when Ellie and her friends take an uncooperative crew of orphans under their wing and into their hidden refuge. It's not easy to keep four young children busy and happy in the bush, and things only get worse when Ellie and Homer find evidence that mysterious visitors have discovered their sanctuary. Could it be a patrol of enemy sold ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Pan Macmillan (first published 1998)

Ryan Buckby
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
first read: july 8th 2010
re-read: March 22nd 2018

Amidst a brutal war with no end in sight, Ellie and her four remaining friends discover that their hidden refuge becomes a crowded place when they decide to care for an uncooperative crew of orphans. Things only get worse when Ellie and Homer learn that myster
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
Our teen heroes are forced to evacuate Stratton with a bunch of feral orphan children when the soldiers get too close. Upon returning to Hell, the children decide to abandon the teens, who now feel responsible for them. After being rescued, they then celebrate Christmas.

The plot doesn’t sound that interesting, but it really is. See, Ellie and Lee rescue the kids at gunpoint and fly out of Stratton with the other teens in a stolen truck. Upon abandoning the truck, it’s found one of th
Jessica
Okay, I LOVE the Tomorrow series, but this one is undoubtedly the nadir. In this book, no lie, the teens stumble upon a pack of feral kids, lead them out into the bush, and baby-sit them. For the entire book. Don't worry, the series does recover in book 7, so if you've made it this far in the series, just stick it out.
Zoey
3.5★
A bit slow at times & there didn’t seem to be a lot happen in this book (a lot of just hiding out)but when things got going it was action packed with our group of teens coming face to face with the enemy soldiers more than once. Plus we get a lot of insight into Ellie & just how she is dealing with the war & how much it has changed her.
This is the 2nd last book in this great series & it ends on a cliffhanger. I am really looking forward to the final book ( The Other Side of Dawn ) to see how this all ends & more importantly how our 5 surviving teens make it through both physically & emotionally.
Caz (littlebookowl)
I think I started this 2 YEARS ago, and I have finally finished, thanks to the commute to uni :P
It's not that I didn't enjoy it, I just eventually forgot about it over time. So glad I began listening to it again, I can't wait to start the next (and last) book in the series!
Natalie
Summary/recap: (view spoiler) ...more
Sally
Aww man, only one more book to go now! I'm so glad I finally got my act together and started reading this series. Just loving it - although I admit that I thought this one started off a LOT slower than any of the others, and I was originally thinking that it was going to be the first three-star book of the series o.O but then of course it picked up and I got way more into it. I think it was just all the fuss over the kids at the start which just wasn't as thrilling as all the other stuff, and I ...more
-Edamommie-
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was wrong. This was a bit slower paced and not quite as action packed as the previous books however for me it was even more emotional with adding the young feral children.
I loved it! They cling to any normalcy they can like with the pseudo Christmas and playing games and telling stories. The little ferals.. They were strong and resilient how can we not admire them? I cried when they found Darina. I cried when Jack left weedy flowers for Ellie.. In the end this book was not a filler it was get
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This book is a bit slow at times, but still, looking back, quite a lot is happening as it becomes increasingly difficult to find food not just for themselves but also a couple of kids they have rescued, and then get lost.

The end is nearing, and it is clear from this book. One more to go!
Unseen Library
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed the entire Tomorrow series, including The Night is for Hunting, as part of my Throwback Thursday series where I republish old reviews, re-review books I've read before or review older books I have only just had a chance to read.

For this week’s Throwback Thursday review, I dive back into one of the most popular and iconic Australian fiction series of all times, John Marsden’s epic Tomorrow series.

The Tomorrow series, by bestselling and award-winning Australian a
Ashley
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe 4.5 stars, maybe.
There were a few real world topics this book touched on in a way i thought was a little disrespectful, but also true to said real world situations. Not a fan of bad things happening and the characters reactions not helping the situation.
Lots more progress in this book. It matched the pacing of the previous book with high tension, suspense, action, and emotional tug of wars.
New side characters brought both refreshing and devastating scenes to the story. Also, a new
Dionysi Krinas
3.5 STARS, enjoyed this one also and it is good to see the characters continue to develop and take on more 'adult' responsibilities. PLENTY OF ACTION
Nairabell
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ellie and her friends have decided that it's time for them to leave Stratton and return to the safety of Hell. Their time in Stratton has given them a chance to heal, but also a chance to betray and be betrayed. Still reeling from Lee's actions, Ellie becomes determined to rescue a group of feral orphans. What Ellie hasn't counted on is that the orphans may not want to be rescued.

This is the sixth book in the Tomorrow series (after Tomorrow, When the War Began, The Dead Of Night, The Third Day, the Frost, Darkne
William Ristau
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ellie and her friends are still hiding out in Stratton, after deciding not to return to New Zealand. That was until their safety is threatened, they decide to return to Hell once more. This time with a group of reluctant feral children. Can they protect and feed themselves and the four kids. When the safety of Hell is threatened for the first time during the war. They have to decide where to go.

This book takes place on May 22. In the city of Houghton, Australia. This is where they w
Wilton314
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
The Night Is For Hunting, the sixth book in the Tomorrow series by John Marsden, is as can't put it down as the previous ones. It has a different focus than before though. Less on Ellie, Homer, Lee, Fi and Kevin damaging the enemy and more on protecting themselves and nurturing the future by hiding where they are sure they will be safe, taking care of a bunch of feral kids they've rescued (against their will mind) and trying to remember the good times over the bad. I guess that is what this whol ...more
Tyler Suzuki Nelson
Conclusion: It is incredibly difficult to write a review for a book that is a continuation in a series. How can I say much that is meaningful without giving too much away?!

This is the second last book in the Tomorrow series. Surprisingly, so late in the series, there is an introduction of some new characters. There is also some development of the existing characters.

I think the biggest difference about this book was how most of the plot concentrated on the development of the new
Jen
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think a lot of people probably will like this book less than all the others. Mainly because by book 6 if you're still reading, it's because you've got the formula down, you expect some explosions and close calls, and you like that! (I do) This book doesn't follow the formula the previous 5 did, but the tension is still high. I have to say I was bored by the first half, but really appreciated that Marsden changed the storytelling, introduced some new characters that showed the reader another si ...more
Jake Allwood
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it was an interesting deviation in the overall plot, but the negative is that it didn't fix that deviating until the very end of the book. What I'm trying to say, all that really happens that is important is character growth and one other thing which I shall not say. I'm saying that if you didn't read this book and just went on to the book after you would be able to find out what happened fairly easily, because not much did happen. I enjoyed the change but I want ...more
Mish
This is the 6th book and the 2nd last in the final series. The teens had to witness so much death in this book that it was emotionally exhausting to read. Also they soon discover that even their hiding place, ‘Hell’, is not safe any more as the enemy are closing in. The ending left me hanging so you know something very big is going to happen in the final book. I extremely anxious now to find out how it’s all going to end.
Grey Berry
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The tomorrow series is a great series and it makes me want more books. The night is for hunting Is one of its outstanding books. There is a lot of suspense keeping the reader on their toes and making me not being able to take my eyes off the book. Overall is a terrific book the everyone should read.
Gretel
I think I liked this one the best so far. Not that the others were particularly lesser than this one, but I felt like there was something a little different, a bit more in this one, particularly the way the epilogue worked. It really leads up well to the final instalment.
Leah (Jane Speare)
I'm so amazed Marsden still manages to make every single one of these books so engaging and exciting. The mood of this one is a bit different from the previous five, and now I'm really looking forward to the last book! Though, I will REALLY miss the series once it's over. :P
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This book was kinda uneventful for me. Nevertheless, I'm excited to see how this series wraps up!
Weetniet7
I am a horrible person but I really didn't care for the children.
Kassandra
Man, these are getting long. I'm getting to the point where I can't wait for them to be over. This one was definitely the least interesting so far, and I hope the final one gets exciting again.
Daisy
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Stars

It's been a couple of years since I read the previous book in the Tomorrow series, and I was getting a little worried I'd forgotten too much or I wouldn't be able to get into it again. Luckily, I was wrong, and I fell right back into this story. Strangely enough, I think I remembered the majority of major events as they became relevant, and I whizzed through the book. It was very enjoyable.

I'm amazed by how much
Stacey Menzel
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally finishing this series, which it feels like I started a lifetime ago!
War is brutal, and the more you get into the books, the more you feel that, and so maybe that is what explains my long break.. Whatever it was, I'm back and I plan on finishing this series now and continuing on with Ellie's Chronicles to follow...
This book starts a bit slower than the rest and really gives you a glimpse into the mental battle inside Ellie's head far more than the physical battle of the war.. A lot of u
Teagan
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another installment down, boredom is slowly starting to sink in.

I feel like even the style of writing is snippy and lazy, missing many details. There's also some cringe worthy similes. At one stage a character is referred to as being as lazy as a glob of blu-tak... Many of the chase scenes are becoming predictable, they're in a truck... again! Steering widely behind the 'wobby wheel'... again!

I feel like many of the other books have met a purpose, whether it be to show the mental effects on wa
Angelino Sulvaran
The tomorrow series(including the Ellie chronicles) is still the best book series I have read. These are not complicated books and they won't leave you struggling with life's difficult questions. What the series does do is leave you utterly and truly entertained. Filled with action packed senes, and Marsden's particular talent for suspense, the books will keep you turning page after page and will have you reading each book back to back.
After twice having read all 10 books (The tomorrow series-7
Lil Old Bookworm
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, while this book didn't quite pick up the pace the way I was hoping it would (there was far too much sitting around in Hell, with the orphan children, just waiting for stuff to happen), Mr. Marsden does an excellent job of making these people feel real, and the dread and sense of unease lingers even in the "sitting around" parts of the book. And the action pieces, while few in this book, are excellent, really ratcheting up the tension. I can feel the series coming to its conclusion, and the ...more

• Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Looking for Alibrandi
  • Deadly, Unna?
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Blood
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
There is more than one author with this name in the database, see f.e. John Marsden

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow Wh

Tomorrow (7 books)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2)
  • A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3)
  • Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)
  • Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5)
  • The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)
“When it's all said and done, the only thing that matter in life are so damn simple. Family, friends. being safe and well. I think before the war a lot of people got sucked in by the crap on TV. They thought having the right shoes or the right jeans or the right car really mattered. Boy were we ever dumb.” 20 likes
“So I found myself telling my own stories. It was strange: as I did it I realised how much we get shaped by our stories. It's like the stories of our lives make us the people we are. If someone had no stories, they wouldn't be human, wouldn't exist. And if my stories had been different I wouldn't be the person I am.” 18 likes