Start by marking “Without a Flaw” as Want to Read:
Without a Flaw

Without a Flaw

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  635 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Appearances can be deceiving On the surface, theirs is the perfect marriage. James Dalton is a handsome, successful attorney, while Isabelle is the beautiful, organized wife. Yet, she grows more fearful of her husband every day, and knows she must leave him. But how can she escape from the domineering, violent man who has systematically robbed her of her past, her identity ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Without a Flaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without a Flaw

Abby
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
okay, i've been wanting to read this for so long. now i have. i honestly couldn't pull myself away from it. it was so riveting. you always wondered what would happen next the whole time.
Kathryn
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shayne
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Michele is an amazing writer and a great friend!! I love her stuff and she is an inspiration to me. Without a Flaw is one of my favorites of her novels! I am envious of her travels but know that it is also one of the things that helps to bring her books to life! This story is of a wife and how she fakes her death in order to get away from her abusive husband and start somewhere fresh. But fear always lurks in the shadows and she knows he will find her and is moving in. Her focus, of course is on ...more
Melanie
Jun 12, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to forget their own life whle they read.
I liked this book just as much the second time I read it as the first time I read it. It's easy to read and you can relax while reading. It's not hard to remember characters and events if you have to leave it alone for a few days. It's just a "feel good" book.
Jessica Liza
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know this book is crazy and psycho (with the abuse that goes on) but for some reason, I really like it! I like how she finds the strength to move on and be a better person. Again - you may think I'm weird but I really like!
Susan
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Isabelle gains enough courage to face her greatest fear--her husband!
Ann
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me so much anxiety! I was always thinking ahhh James is gonna get her! A fun thriller.
Janaca
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book kept me on edge! Very suspenseful right from the beginning. I love her writing style!
Michelle
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It only took me a day to read!
Lynne
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Bell's style. It keeps my attention and offers a great escape.
Lisa
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fun book to read!
Linnae
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Isabelle's husband is a handsome, very sucessful lawyer, from one of the founding families of Boston. Yet ever since their marriage, he has systematically cut her off from the outside world, and become more and more abusive and controlling. Finally Isabelle reaches the breaking point and realizes that her situation must change--or she won't survive it.

A letter from her Great-Aunt in England comes as an answer to prayer, as does James' unexpected business trip. So she fakes her death and runs--no
Rebecca
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I took this book on a recent trip to read while we were either flying or waiting at the airport. The author had a good plot and there was some good character development, along with some contrived things here and there. But it didn't take away from the enjoyment of reading the book.

If you have ever experienced severe abuse and have strong feelings about it, you may not want to read this book. It won't take away from the story to say that the main character experienced abuse by her husband; this
Emily
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-romance
I have to admit that in the beginning, this book made me not want to get married for a really long time. The main character's first husband was horrible to her, I could not believe the things that he did! When she meets guy #2 I became my normal self again... eager to get married...eventually! haha Overall, I thought it was a great book, the characters had realistic plots and the setting was awesome! I love England! I always love reading stories about characters who find their way back to the go ...more
Kelli
Jul 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Trina
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Isabelle has found herself in an abusive, controlling marriage; and in order to get out, she fakes her death and escapes to England to be with her 'long lost' Aunt. But that's just the beginning....I liked how well the author brought in reasonable, believable drama that kept my attention to the end. The author also did a fine job of helping me feel connected to the main character so that I could better enjoy the story.
Erin
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
This book was good. It got a little preachy at some points, but it was alright. I didn't particularly love the book, and it was forgettable considering I stopped caring about it the moment I finished it. But I gave it four stars because it was a good story and kept me entertained. I saw right through the mystery though. I had it all figured out at the first mention of beanie babies, which is on the first few pages so I don't think I'm spoiling anything.
Brooke
eh. I feel like I wasted my time. This was not poorly written for LDS fiction as far as prose goes, and the plot was fine, but bland. Overall I just feel... blah. None of the characters really shone, nothing really made you feel. The content was about an abusive husband, but no emotions were invoked in the descriptions... maybe she was just trying to keep it really soft for the publisher. I don't know. Not a total waste of time, I suppose, but I can't help feeling like it was.
Kristen
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book about three times, and I never tire of it! This book tells the story of a woman caught in an abusive marriage who finds a chance to escape it by faking her own death. After she escapes she discovers that her husband has been involved in illegal diamond smuggling and that only she has the proof to put him behind bars. It's a fabulous read, and has no objectionable material either!
Laurie
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Wow! I didn't know Michele Bell did such great suspense books. If you need a fun, quick read with suspense, set in a lovely English countryside, this is for you! I really liked the description of the town, and the story sucked me in right from the get go. This is LDS suspense/romance genre... lot of fun :)
Wendy
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
A little bit mystery, a little bit thriller, and a little bit romance all rolled into one. Ended a little too quickly and neatly, but loved the mid-point cat and mouse kind-of thing it had going. An enjoyable read.
Jaymie
Sep 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I've read this book about 5 times. I really like Michelle's style of writing, although sometimes the descriptions go on for awhile. (I'm a dialogue kind of person.)But it's a fun escape from your day to day life.
Mar 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens and Up
This book was a page-turner! Very exciting and thrilling. It has some suspense and a romantic undertone. It proves the strength of the human soul is greater than the trials we are subjected too. A must-read! Read it in a weekend.
Kenzi
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is really good.I felt so bad for Isabelle throught the whole book. James was so creppy. She should have left him way before the time that she did. I wanted to cry when ever he hit her or got angry.
Madison
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's about a lady whose husband is abusive and controling so she fakes her death and goes to live with her great-aunt who lives in England. She gets converted to the church and has turned her life around.
Alison
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
I didn't really find the plot very believable. I enjoyed other books by this author much more.
Danni
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love Michele Ashman Bell. I would recommend anything by her. She is teriffic.
Kaylee
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Never be afraid to call the police in someone!
Even if it is someone that will hirt you when you call!
Brittany
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love how the main character reclaims herself and eventually turns to face her insecurity and fear. This is a great book that I've read many times.
Susan
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty predictable ending. But fun none the less.
  • Echoes
  • Chance Encounter
  • The Heart Has Forever
  • Winter Fire
  • Emeralds and Espionage (Gems and Espionage, #1)
  • Midnight Whispers
  • Undercurrents (Undercurrents, #1)
  • A Christmas Melody (Trevor Family Saga, #4)
  • Hazardous Duty (Duty Series, #1)
I grew up in St. George, Utah, where a lot of my family still lives, but now reside with my husband and family in the Salt Lake City area. My favorite thing to do is support my kids in their many interests. Between basketball, ballet and piano lessons we squeeze a lot into a week, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
More about Michele Ashman Bell...