Start by marking “Bling” as Want to Read:
Bling

Bling

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  701 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
Cinderella remixed: an uninhibited, unputdownable novel about a small-town girl and the music mogul determined to turn her into a megastar.When twenty-year-old Mimi travels from a small town in Ohio to New York for an audition with Lamont Jackson, head of the hottest hip-hop label in the business, she has no idea that her life is about to change overnight. The moment Lamon ...more
Published June 16th 2004 by Miramax Books (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bling

Monique
Read this book in order to get away from the history/murder-thriller genres I tend to gravitate to and was presently surprised to find this book was in no way predictable or boring--cliched and silly yes but in a delightful way..We follow a singer as she is forced to choose between her own fame and her childhood friend singing group and her impromptu and eventful relationship with her manager. There are obvious parallels to many R&B divas in the industry, and alot of present day name droppin ...more
Chezon
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read. In whole, the story is about a young woman named Mimi who was discovered by a hip-hop mogul. She quickly becomes his hip-hop princess. (Think of a Mary J. Blige type being discovered by Diddy.) While her life rockets from mediocre to mega-rich, she launches an album and falls in love with the mogul, Lamont. They have a seemingly fairy-book romance. The rest of the book is a mix of characters that weave themselves in and out of their lives and in and out of the music busine ...more
Melissa
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it
A very interesting look at the hip hop lifestyle. Knowing that the author worked for Russell Simmons and Kimora made me suspect different characters and situations were based on real people/real life. Mostly, though, I thought it was inspired by Mariah Carey, with obvious differences. I thought the ending wrapped up a little too neatly, and I got tired of the sex and language. Not that I'm opposed to sex and bad words in books, but they seemed to get really crass in this book. But then, rap song ...more
Danita Brown
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good eventually.
Monkeyface
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to Bling by Erica Kennedy
One of the hottest, sexiest, and most talked-about novels of 2004 -- now in paperback.Bling is an uninhibited, unputdownable novel about a small-town girl and the music mogul determined to make her a megastar. Taking us inside the glittering world of New York's hip-hop scene with an unforgettable cast of characters, smart dialogue, and a whole lot of attitude, Erica Kennedy grabs the microphone and makes it clear that she is a major new voice in the popular new
Kudzai Mhangwa
This book screams of Sparkle the movie and Lee Daniel's star. A basic rags to riches story centred on a talented bi-racial singer from Ohio. I am a sucker for books which revolve around the music business and Bling was very entertaining. The characters are a bit under-developed and I had difficulty with the language because Kennedy makes use of the thick New York dialect. I also found it a bit too long and the pace rather inconsistent (it started to sped up towards the end). Despite that it was ...more
Stephanie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty fabulous. I decided that I was going to wait until I go away to read it. I started it the day before I left, and was finished with it 2 days into my vacation. This was only because my sister purposefully interrupted me and kept yelling at me to put it down, so that I could actually enjoy my time away.

Erica Kennedy definitely put herself on the map with this debut. BLING is the story of Mimi, a small town biracial girl from Ohio. Mimi has dreams of making it big in the music
Anna
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trash
While I was switching back from reading the horrid corniness that is this "Cinderella remix" and blinking my eyes because I would end up reading at least fifty pages in one sitting, I saw that in the very short author bio that Erica Kennedy does have some knowledge about the entertainment media, as she has written for a few magazines that are mentioned in this book. So I Googled her and found out that she died of an unknown cause. That made her interesting enough for me to read up on an intervie ...more
Deyonne Bryant
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book recently after putting it off for many years. I put off reading the novel because I'm not interested in the lives of hip-hop figures. So, I was surprised to learn that the novel was about a young woman aspiring to be a soul singer who instead is crafted into a hip-hop princess, Mimi. Her interior world is presented well and she is fully developed as a character, which I appreciate in a novel the size of BLING. I even found the hip-hop mogul responsible for her rise to stardom sy ...more
Britt Lovelady
May 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love hip hop
Shelves: fiction
This is a very low 3 stars. It was a little too trashy for my personal taste. Mimi is a small-town girl who signs a record deal in New York and the book tells about the subsequent drama that ensues. I never particularly cared for her character; she started out too naive at the beginning and then went directly to being just another diva. I felt also that Kennedy could have easily omitted several of the characters and their side stories and shaved a good 50-100 pages off the book. Maybe it was jus ...more
Jacques
May 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
I first read this book when I was 16 (2006), and it was amazing. It's an inside look of the music industry, Hip-Hop moguls & NYC, which is basically the mecca of all my dreams. After hearing of Erica Kennedy's untimely death, I decided to pick it back up and now at almost 10-years later: I hated it. The hype that initially lured me to the storyline is now the exact reason it turned me completely off. The clichés, the flat characters, the predictability and unbelievable plots. I finished it w ...more
Velvet
Aug 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, just when you thought literature could not be any worse than "Iceberg Slim" (only not as well written) here she comes out with this ghetto mess... what a fiasco, she must have been down in the dumps when she wrote this. Who would have thought someone that is so cute as Erica Kennedy would write such trash... I mean trash with a captial "T", what a waste of mine time, I recommend this be put on everyones "DNR"list--- "do not read" girl this has got to go!
For real.
Jenny
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty damn funny. I liked it a lot, I like any stories that take place in New York because I've never been there and want to go one day, it sounds like a really fun place to visit. Basically it's about a mixed girl who makes it to the top as an R&B princess. She lives the luxury life and she gets whatever she wants. There were some really funny parts in it that made me laugh out loud. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the R&B/Hip Hop culture.
Kianna
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Recommended to Kianna by: a friend
this was a really good book. I didnt really like the way it ended but it was still very interesting. Mimi was a singer who tried so hard to become somtthing/someone in life. when she finally did, she lived the luxery and famous life like no other girl could.she was the R&B princess! i would recommend this book to mostly young women who are trying to become famous in the future or to just any girl who likes to live the luxery life!
Jenee Rager
I heard about this book when it's author, Erica Kennedy, passed away earlier this summer. She was credited with helping start urban fiction with this novel so I decided to give it a try. The book was fun, not great, but fun, and at times unintentionally funny. I liked the wrap up at the end that let you know where all the characters were at. If you're bored or want to see the start of urban fiction I would recommend this book, but I don't think it would be enjoyed by your average reader.
Phillis
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd just finished a historical novel and wanted some light reading -- boy was BLING! it. It's a fast read even though it's over 500 pages. It gives a peek into the hip hop and R&B life style and the traps, for those who want to be a part of it, can get themselves into. I enjoyed it. Some parts were a little slow and a bit boring. I didn't think it was trashy although there are some steamy parts. Good summer/beach reading.
Katherine
Total beach read--or in my case, found-on-a-shelf-while-staying-with-in-laws-over-the-holidays read. I'd say this was well-written for a beach read because I actually finished it. It's about the making of a hip-hop princess. Innocent mid-Western girl "makes it" in NYC and endures many record industry woes. Totally trashy, i.e. just what I wanted.
Vivre Lokes
Mar 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty terrible read, not corny enough to be "so bad its good". Apparently it's supposed to be a satire -- which is of some relief, but doesn't actually come across in the writing. I would not have known that if I had not read it elsewhere. An easy read, but frustratingly ridiculous at times.
Jeanette Cupcake
Jan 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hip hop lover, people into black lit, pop lit, chick lit
i found this for $2 at the overstock bookstore and it seemed ok. it was pretty good- a story about three girls who want to be the next TLC, but only one of them is wanted in new york. it tells her tale of hooking up with her producer (Mariah Carey anyone?) and the friends and enemies she makes. it was a fun book, a lot of things in it from todays rap/r&b culture.
Michelle
if you are a pop culture junkie like me you will appreciate the behind the scenes glimpse at the hip-hop/rb industry in this story about a talented singer new to the biz

btw, I was reading this on a plane where everyone else was reading that gladwell book, Blink. the covers are very similar, except that this one is hot pink :)
Sara
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So when I started reading this book I thought trashy and not in a good way. But - to my surprise I found myself reading into the wee hours of the night because I couldn't stop reading about this silly girl (R&B princess) and this self-absorbed man (power obsessed mogul). I would say that it borders on "so bad its good" like most Lifetime movies but It depends on the person reading it.
Erik
May 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
[Dutch]
Bling bling: synoniem voor dure, opzichtige juwelen. Voornamelijk gedragen door Afro-Amerikaanse hiphopartiesten. Bling: de titel van de debuutroman van Erica Kennedy over een jonge zangeres die de weg dreigt kwijt te raken in de glitter en glamour van de hiphopwereld.

Lees meer op 8WEEKLY
April
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in my apartment building's lobby as a freebie that someone was offloading. I'm glad I picked it up. It's an easy, fun, entertaining read. The characters stand out with their drama and chances for redemption, or not.

Book: found on a free pile in my apartment lobby (NYC).
megan
Apr 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That's right, party people...this book is not for those who can't get lost in a little ridiculous drama and take it for what it is...a easy, juicy, beach read. It's characters are music industry players or wannabes, so on some level (a very lowly level) I could relate.
Gisela Claveria
Nov 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the ghettofabulous circle
a former colleague of mine passed this along to me.... i really didn't enjoy this book. the only way i was able to get through it is by not taking it seriously - i think it was meant to be a satire anyway. if anyone wants to read it it's on my bookshelf.
Elan
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty entertaining. I did like it. I would sugest this one for light reading at the beach. It accounts the story of a young singer entering the music business. She falls in love with her producer and learns the hard lessons of fame and the music business.
Shanae
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just too big & too boring at times. Maybe Kennedy should re-release this novel as a trilogy...or sell the storyline to Showtime, or maybe even, HBO- I think it would make a much better film than novel.
Tanya
Ehh, this book was ok for me. I was looking forward to more of an inside scoop into the music industry and it wasn't really in this book. The main character was kinda naive and pissed me off a couple times lol. All in all it was ok.
Amber J.
I remember reading this when it came out like 8 years ago. At the time I thought it was cool because the characters were based on real stars and players in the music industry. But now that I think about it, the story itself wasn't so great.
Jamie Nesbitt

Liked Kennedy's debut novel well enough; I just expected more, I suppose. Still, a fun, fast-paced read.
Bling 1 16 Mar 08, 2009 12:59AM
  • Tastes Like Chicken
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • Seen It All and Done the Rest
  • The Vow
  • Not Easily Broken
  • Can't Get Enough
  • Better Than I Know Myself
  • Married but Still Looking
  • The Honey Well
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
  • Mama Dearest
  • The Sisters of Theta Phi Kappa
  • Passport Diaries
  • Resurrecting Mingus
  • Acting Out
  • Playing My Mother's Blues
  • Waiting in Vain: A Novel
Erica Kennedy was an African-American author, blogger, news correspondent, fashion journalist, and singer. Her 2004 novel Bling became a New York Times bestseller. In 2010, she was named to the list of 100 most influential African-Americans, as published by Ebony Magazine and known as the "Ebony Power 100".

Her father died when she was 17 years old. Her mother, Mary Mobley Johnson, was an interior
More about Erica Kennedy...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99