Start by marking “I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy: And Other Stories

I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy: And Other Stories

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  386 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
With all the poignancy, hilarity, and wisdom that are the hallmarks of her fiction, Ellen Gilchrist introduces a gallery of unforgettable characters-Southern women and men whose off-kilter lives are delicately revealed by the author's keen and forgiving gaze. This jubilantly acclaimed collection affirms anew why, as the Washington Post puts it, 'Ellen Gilchrist should be d ...more
Published August 12th 2003 by Back Bay Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Rhoda Manning, Go Hunting with My Daddy

Cynthia
Mar 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
"It's a gift for a girl to have that kind of father & it's also a curse. It's a gift because you have a safe and fortunate childhood and can grow up strong and unafraid. It's a curse because you cannot reproduce it in the adult world. No man can be that wonderful ever again because only a child's mind can really comprehend wonder."
Elizabeth Sulzby
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I have read almost all if not all of Ellen Gilchrist's books. Many of them, like this one, are collections of stories about different members of a family and close acquaintances. Each story is self-contained and very colorful, worth reading separately. Gilchrist selects stories for her collections that acquaint the reader with a character at different points in time but not in chronological order. We may find she's reverted to a grown-up character's childhood in a more recent book, for instances ...more
Maile
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love to read before bed, so a collection of short stories is an ideal choice. I can read a single story, then go to bed without being compelled to keep reading. The stories will take over my mind as I try to sleep, finding their ways to my dreams.

Gilchrist writes fascinating stories, with rich characters. The first few all use the same cast of characters, the same family; Rhoda Manning in particular. This was confusing in a sense, because these stories span many years of the family, sometimes
Julia
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reading Ellen Gilchrist is comfort brain food for me. Her characters, while memorable, are remarkably similar to one another in attitudes and situation, but somehow reading more and more and yet more stories about the same beautiful, spoiled, lucky people never bores me. Maybe it is because they are confident and determined, and shake off their troubles with seeming ease. It's perfect escapism that somehow inspires.
Karen
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, audio-book
I have never been disappointed by Ellen Gilchrist. I think this collection of short stories has to be one of the best books by her -- but I think that every time I read something she's written. The reader was well-chosen -- a great voice for these stories.
Mckinley
Oct 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-story, heroine
Really liked _Rhoda: A Life in Stories_ so was even more disappointed with this than I might normally be.
Ara Dé
Sep 01, 2013 is currently reading it
Hmm
Marsha
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories, the first several are about the same characters, making it a bit confusing when the rest are not! But all feature well-drawn, believable characters.
Catherine
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Rhoda Manning.
Kelley Parker
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: southern

Good bedtime stories. Rhoda is an original
Nicole
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
loving it so far. it's different, i like that!
Becky
Oct 02, 2007
  • Same Place, Same Things: Stories
  • Almost Innocent
  • The Wapshot Scandal
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • The Watch
  • Ruby
  • When the Messenger Is Hot
  • Women in Their Beds: New and Selected Stories
  • Poachers
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.
More about Ellen Gilchrist...