Start by marking “Nora Jane: A Life in Stories” as Want to Read:
Nora Jane: A Life in Stories

Nora Jane: A Life in Stories

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  455 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Since receiving the National Book Award for "Victory Over Japan in 1985, Ellen Gilchrist has developed a fervently devoted readership. This collection's new novella is vintage Gilchrist, taking on the continuing joys and perils of Nora Jane and company.
Published August 22nd 2005 by Back Bay Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Nora Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nora Jane

Shaindel
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure there's crack sprinkled in the pages of all Ellen Gilchrist's books because, my God, they're addictive! Gilchrist is known for her recurring characters, and this book of a compilation for fans of Nora Jane, beginning with the first Nora Jane story that was published in 1981 and ending in the newest Nora Jane installment, the novella _Fault_Lines_.

I had read other Nora Jane stories in other collections and had fallen in love with the cast of characters--Nora, Sandy, Freddy, Lydia
Ariana
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
A full rich read. Some craziness (leanardo da vinci appears to a character) that doesn't totally seem to fit. She has a rather breathless writing style (long sentences, lots of ands) that seems to get more so on the California sections of the book. I had a definite desire to have more of the original, young girl Nora Jane, I was disappointed that it moved quickly to the adult, but I loved all the stories. Entertaining, hopeful (which you don't get that often somehow), funny and poignant. I don't ...more
Katherine
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! First time I've read anything by Ellen Gilchrist, but I will definitely read more of her. I fell in love with the characters and couldn't put it town. The fact that the story took place largely in the Bay Area in the 1990-2000's, when I did as well, was another draw. She writes with splendidly short, succinct sentences, and there is no extra padding to her prose.
Susan
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book so many times the cover is pretty tattered. I adore Ellen Gilchrist, she is simply amazing. Her writing style is just... ephemeral. She's fantastic, in my top 10 favorite authors.
Leslie Ewing-Burgesse
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A novel composed of short stories about one incredibly endearing character, as written by the author over many years, Nora Jane is basically the perfect reflection on a normal but still slightly surreal life. When reading these stories, one can see why Ellen Gilchrist, between writing other stories, kept coming back to this one character, this crowning achievement in human emotion.

We follow Nora Jane from her childhood, through her teenage years, into her young adulthood where she finds herself
Avery
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of short stories from a Southern author that I found after I moved to Virginia. It encompases a woman's life, from childhood in Louisiana to adulthood in the Bay Area. The novella at the end is my favorite. I also like the Anna Papers by this author, and Sarah Conley. She is a terrific author.
Judy
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. all the characters are wonderful. I wanted to know them and stay in their lives. Very good read.
Elizabeth Sulzby
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I get turned off by short stories easily except by a few writers (Bobbie Ann Mason, for instance). Ellen Gilchrist uses stories as a way of visiting and re-visiting sets of characters over time. For some reason, I had followed Gilchrist book by book until around 1998. When I found Nora Jane: A Life in Stories at my local library, I was delighted to re-discover this wonderful writer and her characters. I love her New Orleans and Arkansas settings but Nora Jane's adventures are primarily in the Sa ...more
Kate Mayberry
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this collection of short stories. The characters were highly functional and likeable and each story had an uplifting ending.
Ann Marie
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
"Nora Jane" is a collection of stories Ellen Gilchrist wrote over a period of years, and they were collected here to tell an almost continuous story of Nora Jane from child to middle aged woman. I think I would have enjoyed this collection more if I hadn't recently read Alice Munro's "Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage."

The early stories, especially the first one set in New Orleans that introduces us to Nora Jane and her grandmother, were my favorite. The young Nora Jane is spi
Polly
Apr 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
Tracy O
Oct 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
My brother say that Tom Petty is a guilty pleasure (which I don't get because I think - why stick a value judgement on something you enjoy - can't you just think - "I like this" ? Anyway, I feel the same way about Ellen Gilchrist books. Guys will NOT like this book. Woman, especially those who've spend time in the Bay Area will really love this book. This is NOT romance novel material - it is really well written, but the topics ARE pretty womanly. Also, Ellen Gilchrist thinks her characters are ...more
Candice
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
I was excited about reading this book, because it starts out in New Orleans, and I love being able to picture exactly where the character was located. She then moves to the San Francisco Bay Area, and I am familiar with that area as well. Pretty cool. This book is different than anything I've read in a while, but I like what I've read so far. The characters are deep and intelligent, but I don't connect on a personal level with any of them.
Andrea
Apr 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I was looking forward to reading this so much and I was very disappointed. After the first story, which I liked, I just didn't care any more about Nora Jane. This book falls under my "Life's Too Short" rule: if it doesn't grab me in the first 50 pages or so, then it's time to move on. Maybe other readers will enjoy it more than me.
Amy
Apr 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Not the best collection of stories, but also not the worst. It was mostly hit-or-miss, and I suppose I wish I'd missed about half of them. Not nearly as groundbreaking or engaging as the cover reviews would've led me to believe.
Nellie
Jul 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
I found this incredibly slow and hard to get through. All the events seemed so contrived and tried so hard to fit into a modern-day fairy tale. Overall, it was very difficult to relate to any of the characters in the book.
Hazel
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
There is some weird racialized shit about terrorists, and I was disappointed in that. But I love the character of Nora Jane. I love that Ellen Gilchrist creates as her main characters women who are strong in a particular way but not a masculine way, whose very strength is their femininity.
Jean
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this read! Gilchrist makes you love the characters and provides hope for the future! Happy ending with lots of bumps along the way
Sara
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this book...or collection of short stories. It seemed simplistic but some deeper meaning that I kept missing. I wouldn't recommend it.
Mary
Jan 13, 2011 added it
It was Ok, not one of my favorites, but a enjoyable read.
Kuwanna
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It taught me more about myself. A beautiful story.
Natalie
Apr 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
A break between some heavier reading material. Looking past the cliches and how "perfect" all the main characters are it was an ok story.
Louise Bodack
really kept my interest
Jaimy
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Nora Jane is definitely my favorite Gilchrist character. She's from a broken home in New Orleans and saves her angelic, operetic voice for her family. I have read these stories again and again.
Robyn
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
I really liked this book, the characters are very interesting and it was easy to read.
Rose
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. At first it starts of slow but once you get into it it's really interesting.
Beverly
Oct 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I have always loved Ellen Gilchrist's books, but this one is too cutesy for me.
Michelle
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I find this book of collected stories about NJ funny and comforting. I come back to it over and over and never get tired. Traceleen and Crystal are my favorites, but NJ is next in line.
Desiree Depinet
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I would recommend as a read if your are in between books. Not a bad book, but it is a combination of short stories about Nora Jane so the stories and places in her life can be jumbled.
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • Almost Innocent
  • A Southern Family
  • Oyster
  • The Clearing
  • An Introduction to Poetry
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • Addictive Reads: The Winter Gift - 7 Uplifting Stories by Best-Selling and Award-Winning Authors
  • Downhome: An Anthology of Southern Women Writers
  • The Passion Dream Book
  • The Professor's Daughter
  • The Horizontal World: Growing Up Wild in the Middle of Nowhere
  • The Bridge
Ellen Gilchrist (born February 20, 1935) is an American novelist, short story writer, and poet. She won a National Book Award for her 1984 collection of short stories, Victory Over Japan.

Source: Wikipedia.

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shaman (The Cole Trilogy)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)