Start by marking “Raincheck on Timbuktu” as Want to Read:
Raincheck on Timbuktu

Raincheck on Timbuktu

Lucy has her life all planned out -

* perfect job at 21
* engaged to ideal man at 26
* married at 27 and a half
* building ideal home at 28 (fully equipped with a stereo surround-sound wide screen TV and a comfortable, yet stylish couch)
* birth of perfect daughter at 30

What does not neatly fit into her organised life is a mother with a bombshell, an ex-best friend with an
Published August 31st 2001 by Penguin Books Australia (first published August 1st 2001)

Start your review of Raincheck on Timbuktu
Janina
Nov 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that this is Aussie YA, I actually had rather low expectations for it. I can’t even exactly tell you why – I just didn’t think this book would be any special. Colour me surprised. It does seem to be something like a hidden gem – published first in 2001, but only about 50 ratings on Goodreads – and I definitely have to thank my Aussie friends for bringing it to my attention and especially Nic for actually providing us with a copy!

Raincheck on Timbuktu is YA contemporary exactly h
Arlene
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arlene by: Janina
“There’s a line that separates being a teenager from being an adult. I’ve been teetering on the edge of it for a while. The beauty of it is that up until now, I’ve been able to be an adult when I’ve wanted to be and a teenager when it’s easier. It would be easier to be that teenager now, but I can’t…”

First and foremost, I want to thank my long-time reading buddy Janina for sending me Raincheck on Timbuktu all the way from Germany. This book has been on my wish list for over two years now, and I
Nic
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aussie-ya, 2010
Favourite Quote: "You know when you put something on lay-by and you look forward to paying it off and picking it up in a few weeks? That's how I feel about my life. I've been looking forward to picking it up my brand new life for a while now. Once I get my new life I'll be fun, interesting and happy - perfect".

This is a book that just make you smile. Raincheck on Timbuktu is funny, smart and such a truthful coming of age story that really captures all the emotions and confusions of being a teen.
Lulufrances
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
That was cute!
Good after all the (immensely beautiful but) betty-downer-esque books I've read as of late.
I tend to run at the mention of contemporary YA fiction these days as I have had my fair share and probably overdosed on them as well, but just sometimes it can just about be perfectly right.
Not too serious in tone, not too special, just fun and delightful and with the Aussie vibes (set in Melbourne) coming through too.
Cute cute cute.
Janelle
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolute JOY to read, partly because I saw so much of myself (when I was the same age) in Lucy. I too was totally obsessed with 'Anne of Green Gables', still am (see favourite quotes) - I think it might be time for a re-read! I loved all the Pop Culture references of the time, I nearly spat my coffee when I read
After all, you want to be up to speed when Brad Pitt's marriage to Jennifer Anniston fails, and he's looking for comforting Down-Under
It was great to see Lucy's character gr
Emily LaStrange
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Charming, funny, witty and quirky; everything I love in a book. A lovely cast of characters, amiable humor and ndswfgebgba... I simply adored it.

A suberbly, snarky protagonist, Lucy, that I found extremely relatable. Murphy has a knack for explaining angst-ridden, teenage emotion so well. She's funny, pessimistic and has a darling personality. She's misunderstood, meticulous, and more sensitive than you'd make her out to be.

I found all the characters endearingly written. Nick
cloudyskye
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
To be honest I hadn't expected to like this so much. But I did. Surprising to me, but I found it easy to identify with our barely 17-year-old heroine (the storyteller).

I was only very slightly irritated by the fact that in the spoken parts, people would always, always repeat the other person's name:

"Luce, you'd better get ready. ..."
"Mum, can you get me the phone? I'm not going."
"Yes, you are, Lucy. You said you'd go."
"Come on, Mum, they won't even notice."
"Lucy."
"Mum."

... and so on and so forth
Suzie
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice story, liked the main character. Bought this because it was recommended and was rare/hard to find!
Kalliste
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I don't know why, but this book just annoyed me for the most part. I liked the format (each 'chapter' started with an email to Lucy's friend and then a journal entry) but just didn't like the story itself, mostly anyway.

Maybe it was just my dislike for the main character herself. She overthought everything but then didn't see what was happening around her and well, it was just too predictable.

I hope this is just a mediocre example of YA and not my love of YA dwindling.
Lindsay
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I found the characters difficult to connect with. For the most part, they seemed immature and self-centered, which could make them endearing, but mostly just annoyed me. As a result, I found the first half of the book pretty boring; nothing really happened except getting to know the characters.

The second half was more interesting, but still not enough to get this book a "good" rating.

Overall, not terrible, but not something I would recommend to a friend.
Alarra
Nov 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, aus
Murphy's first book is about a snarky teenager dealing with friendship and relationship problems at a private girl's school. I strongly identified with since I read it first as a teenager dealing with friendship and boy problems after years at a private girl's school. :) This is my fifth reread or so, and I still enjoy it.
Dylan
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this in a used bookstore in Greenwich and it brought memories flooding back of reading this book when I was fourteen or fifteen. Definitely a nostalgic read.
Jenny
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was scarily familiar - I also grew up in Melbourne and went to an all-girls school in a similar era. The cultural references were hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed every page.
Gen
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-other, australian
Read this when I was a teenager and quite enjoyed it. Tells the story of a girl dealing with her mother's breast cancer diagnosis as well as boys, friends, school and all the other teenage dramas.
Courtney | What Courtney Reads
As soon as I read the synopsis of this book, I just knew I had to get my hands on it. It was very difficult to come by! I live in Canada, and tracking down an eleven year old YA book from Australia was no easy feat! I'm so glad my efforts paid off because I loved this book!

This book is a coming of age story about a girl named Lucy and her day to day life. It's basically written in diary form, so you know the ins and outs of her thoughts and her relationships with her family and friends. The auth
girlpower12121
I really enjoyed this book! It was a little slow to begin with, but as i continued with the reading, i found it hard to put down. I loved this story and I found that I could really relate to it. I can't wait to read more by Kirsten Murphy! I will be tell my friends to read this!

For me this is a 4/5

Mar 25, 2013

• Joel and Cat Set the Story Straight
  • Guitar Highway Rose
  • Outline
  • Feeling Sorry for Celia (Ashbury/Brookfield, #1)
  • Jasper Jones