Start by marking “Der Hof” as Want to Read:
Der Hof

Der Hof

Ein abgelegener, heruntergekommener Hof in Südfrankreich. Es ist brütend heiß. Fliegen umschwirren die grunzenden, halbwilden Schweine, die im Dreck nach Futter stöbern. In der baufälligen Scheune liegt der junge Engländer Sean mit einem zerfetzten Fuß. Auf der Flucht vor der Polizei ist er in eine rostige Eisenfalle getreten, aufgestellt von Arnaud, dem Besitzer des Hofs, ...more
Published February 1st 2014 by Wunderlich (first published November 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Der Hof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Hof

Paul
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Stone Bruises an Interesting Read

Stone Bruises by Simon Beckett is described as a thriller while being a well written and enjoyable read it is more Miss Marple than out and out thriller. This a not so much whodunit but what did they all do and what are they hiding. Saying that it was a very pleasurable read even when I read it on a football coach to that there London town.

Sean is on the run and escaping London when he has to dump his stolen car in France and carry on foot. He discovers a kilo o
comfort
AUDIOBOOK

I bloody love this author.

What an intriguing, fully-rounded, inventive story
We first meet Sean driving along a country road in a foreign country and very confused. He knows something is very wrong with the car he is driving as there is a sort of debris on the seat and the seatbelt and it stinks.

He then finds himself being cared for by a French farmgirl and her sister in a room over a barn. He remembers jumping over the fence to get away from the police car that drives by and getting cau
Raven
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a slight hiatus in his writing, it was with some excitement that fans will greet this new standalone from Simon Beckett, marking a diversion from his well established and thoroughly enjoyable series featuring forensic anthropologist Dr David Hunter. Stone Bruises reveals itself as very different fare indeed…

Sean is a man on the run, and we’re initially in the dark as to why and from whom. We do know that he’s abandoned his battered, blood-stained car in the middle of an isolated part of rur
Liz Barnsley
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming January 2014

Thanks to the publisher,author and netgalley for the advance copy.

Sean is on the run. We don’t know why and we don’t know from whom, but we do know he’s abandoned his battered, blood-stained car in the middle of an isolated, lonely part of rural France at the height of a sweltering summer. Desperate to avoid the police, he takes to the hedgerows and country lanes only to be caught in the vicious jaws of a trap.

So I adore Mr Beckett’s David Hunter series and was eager to leap i
Cleopatra  Pullen
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is a crime thriller with a big difference, the reader doesn’t know what crime has been committed.

All the reader knows is that when we meet Sean he is hiding his battered and blood-stained car in France one hot summer day. He leaves the car picks up his rucksack and walks into the unknown. Here is a man without a plan but it is apparent he is hiding and determined to stay hidden.

Told expertly and consistently in the first person this is a subtle story of a mystery man on the run. Sean ends
Wendy Cartmell
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sean is on the run. We don't know why and we don't know from whom, but we do know he's abandoned his battered, blood-stained car in the middle of an isolated, lonely part of rural France at the height of a sweltering summer. Desperate to avoid the police, he takes to the parched fields and country lanes only to be caught in the vicious jaws of a trap. Near unconscious from pain and loss of blood, he is freed and taken in by two women - daughters of the owner of a rundown local farm with its rams ...more
Ubiquitousbastard
This book started promising, it really did. It was actually a good enough start that I had to go and get the book right after I read the initial chapter. Oh what a fool I was. Oftentimes, when a book starts out interesting, it's just a ploy to keep you reading the boringness that will follow. That is exactly the case here. Once the first few chapters passed there was almost nothing else to keep my attention, and the author really didn't try. He seriously just wrote a good hook so that he could w ...more
Linda
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever read a book and think "this would make a great movie?". This is such a book. It has great characters and setting and tension, with the right actors it would be a winner.
Stone Bruises is a stand alone thriller that starts with the main character Sean, abandoning his bloodstained car and taking to the woods. Set in France mid summer, Sean soon is in trouble when his foot is caught in a trap. Rescued by the farms owners and hidden away in an attic it is soon apparent that the family tha
Stephanie
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Spoilers

I have read all of Simon Beckett's books so just got this as a matter of course.

I wouldn't have got it from just reading the blurb on the back cover (should there be one on a Kindle!).

Not sure that anything really happens of note until the end but somehow this book is a page turner. It kept me captivated and putting off bedtime to keep reading. I think it's the way Beckett writes that makes it so hypnotic.

Antje
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this up months ago but couldn't get through the first part and put it aside quickly.

I finally picked it up again and flew through the rest. It's a atmosphere driven mystery with plot twists I didn't see coming. Sadly the main question I had was left open.
Dan
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slightly odd book this one, not like anything else I have read. Sean is on the run in France, having committed a crime back in England. We don't know what the crime was, only that it involves blood. When stumbling through the French country-side he steps in a nasty trap on a farm. The next thing he knows he is working at the farm, hiding out from his mysterious crime. But the farm has a mystery of its own as the residents all seem to be a little odd and the locals despise them.

The farm-part o
Jeanette Bowyer
It's a frustrating book to read, it kept going from France to London and back again. Sean is on the run but why? You don't know what crime was committed By him. Sean was found in the French countryside bleeding and drifting in and out of consciousness after he walks into a bear trap hidden in the farm. After recovering he finds himself working on the farm. The family who lives on the family with their cruel Father are weird and carry dark secrets of their own. I found this book a little messy to ...more
Lynsey Dalladay
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling and creepy, Simon Beckett's Stone Bruises is a brilliant and atmospheric novel. The heat-soaked French landscapes are vividly portrayed and you can't help but emphasize with lead character Sean despite not knowing what it is exactly that he's done! A limited cast extends the feeling of claustrophobia that the small French farm exudes and what is the secret that everyone seems to know except newcomer Sean? There's only one way to find out...
Andrea
DNF at 29%. Despite the interesting structure (we don't know why the main character is on the run and from what), I still very quickly lost interest in the story. Maybe I'll come back to this in the future.
Angela
This was a good read, but definitely not one of Simon Beckett's best.
Keri
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2015-read
This one was good as a standalone. I hope that we get more of the Dr. David Hunter series, of which I really love.
Michael Wood
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing standalone thriller by a writer who is on top form. With a dark twist at the end you won't see coming this is a subtle page turner that will keep you reading well into the small hours.
Malwina Wrzosek-Bednarska
Plain and simple... I didn't like it. I expected more of this author, thus highly disappointed.
Nora
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
Very different.... BUT good! I need more Mr. Beckett!
Christine Parker
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge, read-2015
Thoroughly enjoyable, keeps you guessing til the end
Anthony
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon Beckett (2014) STONE BRUISES
London. Bantam Books

🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 4 out of 5 stars

Google Books write, "Sean is on the run. We don't know why and we don't know from whom, but we do know he's abandoned his battered, blood-stained car in the middle of an isolated, lonely part of rural France at the height of a sweltering summer. Desperate to avoid the police, he takes to the parched fields and country lanes only to be caught in the vicious jaws of a trap. Near unconscious from pain and loss of blood,
VT
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the narrative of the novel, with only splashes of London events leading to the main character's trip and adventure in France. The narrative is mostly through Sean's eyes, and it creates an interesting atmosphere of his search for inner peace of mind. At the same time a complex story involving his host family in France evolves around daily life, and leads to a somewhat unexpected end. It's more complex to read than my last crime novel by J. Patterson, and also more enjoyable. S. Beckett is ...more
Bo.Belle
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
good but felt a little bit like a bubble in which anything can happen. The characters are believable but the storyline is a little bit stretched at some points as it goes really slow. The end is kind of abrupt and lacks a bit of charm like his David Hunter series.
But all in all it is a great book to read and definitely enjoyable for fans of the thriller genre.
Judi Mckay
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: book groups
Recommended to Judi by: book group
Shelves: felons
Not quite as good as his David Hunter books, IMHO, but a good read nevertheless. It's an unusual story which hints at past crimes and secrets till the reveal at the end, which was not what I expected. The book for me had an air of gloom over it, which added to the enjoyment.
Amanda Em
Jun 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I finished it but honestly ... was this book really necessary?

I would thank the author for putting it out there that killing animals just for the sake of killing them is effing ok. He does not undestand a thing anbout animals, so he should not write about them.
June Jones
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very unusual story, did not know where it was going at first, then all became clear.
Sean Beckett
Always interesting reading a new author. This was a bit different and an good tale, well told.
Leonie van Driel
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Really like his writing. Great story, well-written characters and enough tension to make it hard to put the book down.
June
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
..had promise but fell short
Jan Smith
Really liked all the other Simon Beckett books I have read but I really struggled with this one.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Der Sarg
  • A Killing Winter  (Inspector Akyl Borubaev, #1)
  • Verbroken
  • Split Second
  • Totenblick
  • Das Echo der Schuld
  • Rachesommer (Walter Pulaski, #1)
  • Het meisje op de weg
  • The Preacher
  • The King James Conspiracy
  • A House of Knives (Breen and Tozer, #2)
  • Moon in a Dead Eye
  • Secret Santa (Cherringham, #25)
  • The Girl Who Broke the Rules (Georgina McKenzie #2)
  • Mios blues (Martin Benner, #2)
  • Sorrow Bound (Aector McAvoy, #3)
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
After an MA in English, Simon Beckett spent several years as a property repairer before a stint teaching in Spain. Back in the UK, he played percussion in several bands. He has been a freelance journalist since 1992, writing for The Times, The Independent on Sunday Review, The Daily Telegraph, The Observer and other major British publications. In 2002, as part of an article on the National Forensi ...more