Start by marking “Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty” as Want to Read:
Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty

Everett Ruess: A Vagabond For Beauty

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  359 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Introduction by John Nichols. Afterword by Edward Abbey.

"Everett Ruess, bold adventurer, artist, writer. He traded prints with Ansel Adams. He studied and lived with Edward Weston, Maynard Dixon, and Dorothea Lange. He tramped around the Sierra Nevada, the California coast, and the desert wilderness of the Southwest, pursuing his dream of ultimate beauty and oneness with
228 pages
Published September 1st 1983 by Gibbs M. Smith, Inc (first published September 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Everett Ruess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everett Ruess

4triplezed
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: americas, travel
If forced to use one word on this book fascinating comes to mind. The book itself consists of letters by Everett Reuss from the age of 16 to his disappearance as a 20 year old in the Utah desert in 1934. This is not spoiling the book as the author explains his disappearance in both the preface and first chapter of the book. The author writes in the preface that Everett “…was a highly complex young man…” and that is shown by the letters that he wrote to friends and family.

Everett Ruess began his
Ron
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a hard book to sum up in a few words. Fascinating and compelling, yes; heartbreaking, often; hair-raising sometimes; exasperating, occasionally. Mostly, it is a vivid reminder of what it is to be still very young, naive, and adventuresome. It's also a book that's very hard to put down.

The reader, of course, knows from the start that Everett Ruess disappears at the age of 21 while on a walkabout somewhere near the Colorado River, in the remote 1930s wilderness of southern Utah. Gifted, br
Ogross
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read years ago and something made it come to mind today. A wonderful and heartbreaking collection of letters written by a young artist wandering the Southwest.

Merged review:

As I was reading Into the Wild, I kept thinking how much Chris McCandless' story reminded me of this biography about Everett Ruess. No surprise when Into the Wild had a whole chapter about that very same comparison. I loved this story, especially reading all the letters Everett wrote during his time traveling around the Sout
Chad
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Unbeknownst to you, the teenager you pass on the street may be an artist, a writer and the main character in a great adventure. And... there are others who feel the Utah's red-rock desert is so beautiful that it almost kills a sensitive person who immerses himself in it.
Vicky
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread W. L. Rusho's Everett Ruess: Vagabond for Beauty , the letters of Ruess and the story of the various searches for him after he disappeared in 1934. This book is one of my favorites and even prompted, many years ago, a hike down into Davis Gulch to follow Ruess' last trail (as it turns out, he was miles away on the other side of the Colorado when he was murdered). His writings about and passion for the canyon country remain a testament to the strong feelings this country evokes.
WhizKid
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The letter between Everett & Christopher Ruess. Everett asks questions and his father reply back in a letter.

1. Is service the true end of life? No, but rather happiness through service. Only as we play our part, as a part of the whole, aware of the interrelationedness, do we really and fully live. You and I are like the right hand or the right eye or the big toe-we are grotesque when living apart.

2. Can a strong mind maintain independence and strength if it is not rooted in material indepen
Bakunin
Sep 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
"My face is set. I got to make my destiny. May many another youth be by me inspired to leave the snug safety of his rut, and follow fortune to other lands"

As I have a tendency to become overworked by irrelevant (albeit it work-related) tasks, it is nice to every now and then try to get a fresh perspective on things. Evert Ruess was a young man who decided to determine his own destiny by traveling through the wilderness of Arizona and Utah. This book is a collection of letters he wrote to the peo
Gordon Wilson
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With thanks to Jon Krakauer for alerting me to the existence of Everett Ruess.
Ruess and McCandless are similar wandering souls that we can all relate to at some level.
Connie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved that this is a true account. his letters and block prints capture a pure adventurer and bohemian spirit in raw parts of the american west. this book was such a surprise to find.
Jared
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little-known gem.
  • Beyond the Wall: Essays from the Outside
  • Finding Everett Ruess: The Life and Unsolved Disappearance of a Legendary Wilderness Explorer
  • Red: Passion and Patience in the Desert
  • The Journal, 1837-1861
  • Danger on Peaks: Poems
  • Walking It Off: A Veteran's Chronicle of War and Wilderness
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • The Heartless Stone: A Journey Through the World of Diamonds, Deceit, and Desire
  • Wilderness and the American Mind
  • Going Back to Bisbee
  • Crossing Open Ground
“I must pack my short lifer full of interesting events and creative activity. Philosophy and aesthetic contemplation are not enough. I intend to do everything possible to broaden my experiences and allow myself to reach the fullest development. Then, and before physical deterioration obtrudes, I shall go on some last wilderness trip to a place I have known and loved. I shall not return.” 9 likes