Start by marking “The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)” as Want to Read:
The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)

The Unbidden Truth (Barbara Holloway #8)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
- This is Kate Wilhelm's second original hardcover title for Mira Books.
- Desperate Measures (Mira Books, 6/02) achieved a fantastic NSR of 67%
- Widely regarded as one of today's best writers, Kate is the bestselling author of over 40 novels, including legal and psychological thrillers and many science-fiction classics.
- Her character Barbara Holloway appears in many of he
Published September 1st 2004 by Mira

Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery

I'll round up because I liked the MC. This is my first book by this author and overall I liked it. I liked the plot points. It felt a little clinical, but I think it worked for the MC and for this particular story. Since this book is the 8th book in a series, I look forward to reading more of them, to see if that style is more 'author-style' or more character trait.

This was a little predictable, but the story was unique. I'll have to see what's available on overdrive.
Judy
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate Wilhelm writes great courtroom procedural. And she writes about some unusual life situations. This book did not disappoint, however it took so long before the courtroom scenes began that I thought maybe there might not be any in this book. Barbara takes a case of a woman who has lived many years with amnesia about her life prior to age eight. She is charged with murder, and as Barbara delves into the facts another situation comes to her attention that has nothing to do with what she is char ...more
Jodi
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2016-read
Although this is a series mystery, coming in with no foreknowledge didn't detract from the characters or the story. Attorney Barbara Holloway is hired by a mysterious benefactor to represent a young piano player accused of murder. The girl, Carol, remembers nothing of her past before she was sent to foster care at 9. But she does know that despite the fact that the guy tried groping her, she didn't kill him. Barbara believes her. There is something about the girl that shouts trauma but this isn' ...more
Michele
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I think it started out slow but got more engrossing. Man is murdered and woman with amnesia is put on trial for the crime. She starts to remember her past during the trial and it becomes a centerpiece to the crime. The main character is her lawyer, Barbara who works to defend and protect her client. Somewhat predictable in the overall scheme but the details were well developed.
Vannessa Anderson
Barbara Holloway defends a client with amnesia and who had been convicted of murder. Barbara’s job was to prove that the woman had been set up. After someone tried to bomb Barbara’s office, she knew that everyone involved with proving the innocence of the client life was in danger.

The Unbidden Truth was well written with the twists and turns readers expect from a great crime thriller. Anna Fields did a good job in storytelling.
Marlee Pinsker
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book was good and well plotted for the most part. When it was over I realized that there was never any reason given for Cary/Caroline to be both the victim of a car bombing in her early life and the suspect in a murder trial for someone in the family who had planned that bombing. Was it just a coincidence? Otherwise I liked the book.

I found the audiobook a bit annoying because Anne Fields tried to make her voice masculine by making it deep and fruity and avuncular. Every man sounded like he
Jay
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first Kate Wilhelm/Barbara Holloway book. The starting was slow, and it also took me a while to understand the relationship between the characters and their roles. The book became more interesting about mid-way, but the end was somewhat predictable.
Marianne Wills
2004
Laura Belgrave
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal-thriller
Although there are a lot of novels in Kate Wilhelm's Barbara Holloway series, this was the first I'd read, and I liked it quite a bit. First, I tend to like suspenseful legal stories, and this certainly qualified with defense attorney Barbara Holloway taking on a tough case involving a young woman whose past the woman herself couldn't remember. Yet the woman, a well beyond average pianist, wound up charged with murdering a developer who frequented the bar in which she played for tips.

Holloway w
Chris
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ill, kate-wilhelm
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

Roxann
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
From the cover: Oregon attorney Barbara Holloway has an unusual new client. Louise Braniff, member of a group that anonymously supports worthy women's causes, asks her to represent gifted pianist Carol Fredricks, who is accused of murdering the manager of the bar that employed her to entertain. Barbara heard her play and was impressed, but, as she interviews her client, she discovers major problems. When she was eight years old, Carol and her parents were involved in a serious automobile acciden ...more
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I first encountered Kate Wilhelm when I read her sci-fi novel "Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang." Now she primarily writes legal fiction, which I also enjoy quite a bit (the genre in general, I mean).

I think this is book #9 in a series about a defense lawyer - Barbara Holloway - who is very, very serious about the law, and very, very good. She has issues. Her dad is also a defense attorney, but he worries about "Bobby." He cooks and gardens, while all Barbara does is work and go for long walks.

Th
Marilyn
Dec 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Barbara Holloway series book. "The large retainer offered by a client who asks for complete anonymity is not the only that intrigues Barbara Holloway. The defendant, Carol Fredricks, is a gifted young pianist charged with killing the manager of a piano bar. But Carol is as much of a mystery as the details of the murder for which she is accused. She can't remember anything about her life before the age of eight, and she has been having haunting nightmares about a woman she cannot identify.

Befor
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Cathy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
someone gave me this book because it's set in Eugene, oregon, where I once lived, and indeed, I was interested. It's a great plot, quite complex and interesting and the courtroom part of the plot is excellent. but her characters are flat. It's the eighth in a series about a lawyer named Barbara Holloway but I know almost nothing about this woman except that she's a workaholic with a widower father and some pretty interesting employees. I read mysteries because they generally sketch out really od ...more
Beverly
Jul 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Essentially trash. Superhuman but personality-less attorney Barbara Holloway, without consulting any of the many helpers she is constantly dispatching, solves an old crime involving a now grown piano-prodigy child who witnessed a crime when she was seven. The plot revolves around amnesia and coincidence to a ridiculous degree. As stupid as the plot is, that is the strongest element of this novel. The author feebly attempts to give her characters personality, but they remain cliches and caricatur ...more
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Barbara Holloway is offered a large retainer to defend Carol Fredericks, an itinerant who is accused of murdering the owner of the bar where she played the piano. Barbara is convinced of her client's innocence despite an eye witness who places her at the scene and despite a whiskey glass left at the scene that has Carol's fingerprints. To add to the mystery, Carol is an orphan raised by foster parents who believe everything bad said about her.Carol hasn't been in town long enough to develop any ...more
Charli
Feb 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
David
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kate-wilhelm
ISBN-13: 9781455105250

If you like Barbara Holloway's courtroom appearances, you will be very happy with this book. There are plenty of fireworks, and not all of them are of Barbara's doing.

I had been feeling rather let down on the last few books, because she didn't make it anywhere near a courtroom on some of them.

This book I thought that I was going to enjoy very early on. I just suspected that it would get into court, and the storyline held my interest. The story involves Barbara representing
Lavendersbluegreen
I just love a good series. Especially if it can maintain it's momentum and storyline when you get to the 8th book like this one. Imagine being a lawyer who is offered a large retainer but your client requires anonymity and they are hiring you for
someone else. Your client (that you are defending) can't remember their early childhood, is a truly gifted pianist, and has been accused of murder.
These are just some of the details... the story though...
Wow... you expect suspense and a good mystery fr
Stacielynn
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, april-2016
I hate that I am skipping around, but I can't seem to get them in order -- well, I am too impatient to wait and read them in order.
I like Barbara Halloway and her dad. They always have interesting cases and fascinating characters. This story about a woman whose childhood trauma caused amnesia was intriguing. Sure, it wasn't especially hard to figure out the culprit (although there were some red herrings) but the going along for the ride was fun.
Jill Manske
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read a lot of Kate Wilhelm books and have been a fan. But this one falls a little short - not sure why. The plot is original and the characters are well-defined and realistic. But there's something about how she unfolds the plot that seemed more amateurish than usual. Some of the dialog felt stilted and unnatural. And there was really no building to a climax. I still liked the book, but just not as much as her other works.
Rick Bavera
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Have read a few of Kate Wilhelm's books, but none ever seem to equal When Late the Sweet Birds Sang or Juniper Time. In my eyes, at least.

Saying that, I found this to be an interesting read, full of twists and turns that I did not expect.

Amnesia, Oregon fog, deserts, builders, a Senator, migrant workers.

A challenging mix that Wilhelm wove into a story that kept my attention until the end.
Leena
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ho-hum so-so. I generally regard amnesia as a crutch of a plot and prefer my mysteries more realistic. I hate "cozy" mysteries where murders pile up while characters have a jolly good time sipping tea - homicide is so much more devastating in real life. Ironically, I also had a hard time keeping the characters straight and remembering who is who. A rather flat story and a very unsurprising ending.
Gloria Piper
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, drama
Carrie, who can’t remember before age eight, is arrested for murder. A secret benefactor hires lawyer Barbara Holloway to defend her. As Barbara accumulates evidence relevant to the crime and delves into Carrie’s past, the lawyer finds herself the target of a killer.

Just one chapter, one chapter more. Oops, past my bedtime.
Just one chapter, and another, and another. Oops, missed my work schedule.
That’s how it went with Wilhelm’s novel. Mystery lovers won’t want to miss this one.

Christine
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story very much since this kind of thing (amnesia) can happen to anyone. What a time for Carol to regain a portion of her memories.... Even though I found out so much about this story, I didn't want it to end. I wanted to find out more about "Carol" and her new found family member. Sylvia's performance was a solid one- yet again. Would like to read more about her.
Nancy
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: eugene
An entertaining mystery by Eugene author Kate Wilhelm. I enjoyed her descriptions of Eugene and other spots in Oregon. Some of the decisions by the lawyer/sleuth seemed a bit off the wall, but the story was fast paced enough that I could easily keep going and not get side tracked by these plot devices.
Chris
Sep 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: legal types, thriller lovers, anyone who loves "Phoenix Wright"
Wonderful book, I tore through it quickly. I really enjoy the Barbara Halloway character and her flaws and problems. The story is very intricately woven with fantastic circumstances that Wilhelm somehow manages to keep believable.

Again, these books end very quickly without any denoument, which I prefer, but still an excellent read.
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Watch Me
  • Jealousy
  • Reaching for Glory: Lyndon Johnson's Secret White House Tapes 1964-65
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • Supreme Injustice
  • The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000
  • The Skeptic: A Life of H. L. Mencken
  • Rewriting History
  • Adversity Quotient: Turning Obstacles Into Opportunities
  • The Babysitter's Handbook: The Care and Keeping of Kids
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • The Middle Mind: Why Consumer Culture is Turning Us Into the Living Dead
  • The Soul of Capitalism: Opening Paths to a Moral Economy
  • The Sexual State of the Union
  • Media Unlimited: How the Torrent of Images & Sounds Overwhelms Our Lives
Kate Wilhelm’s first short story, “The Pint-Sized Genie” was published in Fantastic Stories in 1956. Her first novel, MORE BITTER THAN DEATH, a mystery, was published in 1963. Over the span of her career, her writing has crossed over the genres of science fiction, speculative fiction, fantasy and magical realism, psychological suspense, mimetic, comic, and family sagas, a multimedia stage producti ...more
More about Kate Wilhelm...

Barbara Holloway (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Death Qualified (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2)
  • Malice Prepense (Barbara Holloway #3)
  • Defense for the Devil (Barbara Holloway #4)
  • No Defense (Barbara Holloway #5)
  • Desperate Measures (Barbara Holloway #6)
  • Clear and Convincing Proof (Barbara Holloway #7)
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • A Wrongful Death (Barbara Holloway #10)
  • Cold Case (Barbara Holloway #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99