Start by marking “Master Cornhill” as Want to Read:
Master Cornhill

Master Cornhill

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  945 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Victim of both the Great Plague and the Great Fire of London, a homeless, penniless eleven-year-old must decide what direction his life should take.
Published May 5th 1987 by Puffin (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Master Cornhill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master Cornhill

Caitlin
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Normally, I would not have bought, on impulse, a book with the boring title of "Master Cornhill." However, Eloise Jarvis McGraw just so happens to be a favorite author of mine. I am so glad that I "didn't judge a book by it's cover" and gave this novel a chance. Master Cornhill was beautifully written, with wonderful descriptions that made you feel as if you had really visited London, realistic characters that could have jumped off the page, and a great story. The novel dragged a bit in the begi ...more
Ann
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good historical fiction for kids on the year 1666 in London.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Whew! I read and read wondering when the fire would start, and found myself pulled into the story regardless. I found myself really caring what would happen to each of the characters and worrying, knowing the disaster looming. The author has a really amazing ability to make you feel like you're right there, and so the cluttered, dirty city became very real, and I sorrowed when at last the first flames ignited. Wonderful book!
Jenna Leigh
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved historical fiction when I was younger. This is one of the books that I read and reread several times. Eloise Jarvis McGraw wrote great books for young adults, and a couple of my favourite novels as a kid were written by her. This was one of the books that inspired my fascination for English history, and although it's set in the later 1600s, it inspired an interest in the Elizabethan era and the culture of that time period. Highly recommended!
Hannah
Dec 01, 2009 added it
Imagen being called Cornhill....wow...sad
Dorcas
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book. There's a lot of excitement, the characters are well drawn and the feel is authentic. Quite a few scenes centered on the old London bridge. Great read.
Emma Kauffman
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as history literature to my students. Both they and I thoroughly enjoyed the suspense and anguish created by the author and centered around the unfortunate circumstances of the Great Plague and the Great Fire of London in the year 1666. The book contained some crude language that I didn’t appreciate, but other than that, it was very educational and brought to life that time era. I would recommend this to anyone wishing to become more familiar with the old city of London and it’s inha ...more
Siobhain
This book charmed me. I was totally engaged while reading it to my son and went on to research the London Fire further. I found that all of the information in the book about the fire was accurate. I found the characters to be engaging and believable and appreciate that this brought 17th century London alive for me. Highly recommended.
Sharolyn
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-reads
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were engaging and likable, set within the context of real historical events. The ending was somewhat predictable but still satisfying. It doesn’t make my top 5 favorite Homeschool reads but certainly will land in the top 25.
Julia
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've just finished reading this to my 10-year-old daughter - it must have taken us two months as it's rather long and detailed. But we both enjoyed it so much. The sense of foreboding gathers pace, and by the time the Great Fire breaks out, you are living the drama with the characters. We both cared immensely about their wellbeing. My daughter commented "I love Master Haas. He's so philosophical!". At the end of the book she asked if she could have a book all about the Great Fire of London, beca ...more
Todd Luallen
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book was excellent in that I think it gave a great sense of actually being in London during the time. I think the author went to great lengths to make sure to describe accurately the buildings and places that were in London at the time . However the rather verbose descriptions of where things were tended to lose my interest quickly. In addition, the print version of the book had really small type and the spacing was also quite tight. It made for a difficult read.
Linette
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. What was truly special was how Mrs McGraw helped you see London. Having been there I felt like I coud see St Paul's on Ludgate Hill. It also gave me a better perception of the growth outwards of the city.
Chloe
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It tells in detail about medieval London and the fires that often ravaged through, also about the plague and a bit about a rather undiscovered trade: map colouring. Also, it has a nice, satisfying ending where everyone can be content.
Lisa
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Historical novel for young children about the Great Plague that hit London in 1665 and the Great Fire of 1666 that destroyed much of the city at the time, including St. Paul's church. Rich in historical detail.
Melody
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Started at a slow pace, but was ultimately an engaging portrait of London in the midst of the Black Death and Great Fire of 1666.
Bob Collins
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A coming of age story set in 1666 immediately after the plague and before and during the great London fire. Compelling characters and well established historical settings. Recommended.
Skye
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool
Exciting, interesting. I learned about history I didn't know.
Dawn Roberts
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of our favorite authors! Great characters and an interesting depiction of life in London before the great fire.
Tammy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Riveting read. I enjoyed the characters a lot. Great way to learn history!
Emily
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loved this story!! Am going to be reading it to my little sister ASAP :)
Daisy Paquet
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I need more Tom.
Michelle
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOnderful historical fiction. This is one of my favorite authors for young people.
Abigail Rasmussen
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-10-and-up
I read this book when I was 11 years old. It's a good book to read when learning/studying about the time period of the Black Plague.
Kyrie
I learned so much about the plague, orphans, the Great London Fire and really enjoyed this story.
Tammy Bertelsen
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
This is what I'm reading to my kids right now. It takes place directly before and during the Great Fire of London in 1665. It is an interesting way to learn about life in England in days gone by.
Tessa
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I love Eloise Jarvis McGraw!
Dave
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
The most recent book I am reading to Clara. I don't remember reading this one before.
Jackie
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this for school and it's the sole reason I know and care about the London fire in 1666. It's excellent.
Starry
Aug 15, 2013 marked it as to-read
(not available through library)
Meredith
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Worth the slow beggining.
  • The Great and Terrible Quest
  • Flame Over Tara
  • The Beduins' Gazelle
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • In Search of Honor
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • Otto of the Silver Hand
  • The Apprentice
  • It's a Jungle Out There (The Rani Adventures, #1)
Eloise Jarvis McGraw was an author of children's books. She was awarded the Newbery Honor three times in three different decades, for her novels Moccasin Trail (1952), The Golden Goblet (1962), and The Moorchild (1997). A Really Weird Summer (1977) won an Edgar Award for Best Juvenile Mystery from the Mystery Writers of America. McGraw had a very strong interest in history, and among the many book ...more
More about Eloise Jarvis McGraw

• Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Mosquitoland
  • Just a Couple of Days
  • An Irish Country Love Story
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone