Start by marking “Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seraphina (Seraphina, #1)

Seraphina

(Seraphina #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  70,329 ratings  ·  7,789 reviews
Librarian Note: Alternate cover edition for ISBN 9780375866562.

In her New York Times bestselling and Morris Award-winning debut, Rachel Hartman introduces mathematical dragons in an alternative-medieval world to fantasy and science-fiction readers of all ages.

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. F
Published 2013 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seraphina, please sign up.
Tim Poston Anita, "Spoilers" are a weird modern allergy. If they really spoiled a book, we could never re-read it!
I read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...…more
I read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... every few years: so many times that I can't remember not knowing that "Reader, I married him." It's always a different book, just like https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... (where she also marries him — and the story arc makes this predictable early on) because I have grown, and see the world differently.

To say that a book can be 'spoiled' is to say it is only a plot puzzle, and not worth reading in the first place. It's like refusing to read https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5... because somebody has already told you that e=mc².(less)
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,173 books — 2,245 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashoreThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasAlanna by Tamora PiercePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best "Strong Female" Fantasy Novels
3,136 books — 17,231 voters

More lists with this book...

·  70,329 ratings  ·  7,789 reviews

Kat Kennedy
What does it take to inspire someone to read a book?

Is it enough to give a heartfelt plea to the book's worthiness?

Maybe a meme? Or jazzhands? Will jazzhands convince you?

Turtle meme doing jazzhands. Your mind is blown.
I know, a meme about jazzhands! Admit it! This is pretty damn irresistible!

Okay, well, if you're one of those strange people who would choose a convincing, well-informed review over a meme of a tiny turtle doing jazzhands then...

More jazzhands
Are you sure I can't convince you with jazzhands? Maybe throw in a shuffle for you?

Seraphina is half
Regan
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this but I didn't and it makes me sad
Tatiana
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2012, starred-2012, fantasy, 6
Sometimes you read a book, agree with all positive reviews of it, but it just doesn't work for you. That's the case with Seraphina and me.

Whatever you've read in 5-star reviews here, on Goodreads, is all true. Seraphina is an intelligent fantasy set in a well-realized medieval land of Goredd which is celebrating 40-year anniversary of its peace treaty with the nation of dragons. The dragons are conceived with a lot of originality. They have an ability to "fold" into human bodies (weredragons any
Shannon
I'll admit it: I was incredibly worried about this one. I'm always a bit wary when an author seems nice and friendly and everybody likes them on here. I know, that seems like a stupid thing to say, but it always sits in the back of my mind that ... maybe people are giving this book five stars because they like the author. Rest assured: THIS IS NOT THE CASE. I mean, sure, people who liked the book probably like Hartman too, but it's not the only reason. This book deserves its five stars; it deser ...more
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I finished Seraphina! And I ended up really liking it :):) will discuss in this months wrap up.
Rick Riordan
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think you've read everything about dragons? Think it's a worn-out concept? Seraphina will make you think again. Our heroine of the title lives in a human kingdom that is about to celebrate forty years of a peace treaty with the draconian race, but old prejudice dies hard. When the ruler of the dragons comes to the capital to commemorate the treaty, many factions on both sides wish to sabotage the fragile peace. Hartman's dragons are fascinating. They are part Vulcan from Star Trek -- logical bei ...more
Tamora Pierce
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-ya-yr
This is one of the most unique dragon books you'll ever read. (I read it twice, and it isn't even out yet!) You see, in Seraphina's world, dragons are able to take human shape--and messy, sloppy human emotions. Seraphina's father fell in love with a beautiful singer and musician, and married her, and got a surprise. Now Seraphina is the assistant to the royal music master, struggling to keep her birth a secret, and caught up in the tensions that surround the celebrations for the 40th anniversary ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $1.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The oldest of my three younger sisters loves books as much as I do, but doesn't have nearly as much time to read (b/c reasons). Fortunately, I know her well enough to keep recs to what I know she'll love, so she can make the best use of the time she does have, not begrudging me my surplus of time--b/c otherwise, who would weed out the mediocre books?

The most recent book I knew she'd love is this one, but I was re
Limonessa
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook, fantasy, ya-lit
I hate it when I have the impression that I am reading a different book from other readers whose opinion I value. Hate it. But it happens and unfortunately, it happened with this book. I've read some really glowing reviews but, alas, I can't just - partially - share the love.

Objectively, Seraphina meets all the requirements to become the next epic fantasy series: it has an original take on a fairly exploited theme - dragons -, an amazing world-building, a well formed, strong main character, a 5
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I wanted to love this book, because..dragons!!

It's not a bad book and it's well written. I just don't think high fantasy may be one of the genre's that I can really get into.
Too many weird words and names. I mean Orma and Okra?

I tend to be a lazy reader and if I have to work for it by remembering odd words and names I get to where I just want to put the book down and grab another.
My little requesting finger requested the second book in this series from Netgalley and it sounded so good and th
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Oh yes, Rachel Hartman. YES!

This.was.good.

I usually don't pick up many high fantasy novels. For example, I hate Lord of the Rings. Don't flame me! It's just that it's not usually a genre I mesh well with. In fact, I think aside from Seraphina I have read a grand total of two high fantasy books this year: Eon: Dragoneye Reborn and Eona: The Last Dragoneye. Coincidentally, all three have dragons in them. Hmm...perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something there.

Drago
Dija
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dija by: Buddy read with Anzu. :)
How Seraphina is different from nearly all the young adult novels out there, especially of the fantasy/paranormal variety:

1. There isn't a single moment in here where you'll want to a) throttle any of the main characters, b) stab yourself in the eye, or c) smirk at the cheesy dialogue.

2. You know all those books with dragons? The ones that seem either too clichéd or too different from what you imagined dragons as? Seraphina is about as far from those books as it gets. In fact, it's in another l
Catie

Fantasy lovers, rejoice!

This is an amazing debut novel, and I feel confident that we have a new series to devour, covet, and hoard ARCs of in a cave somewhere. Not that I do that.

This is the story of two societies, diametrically different, but living together under a fragile peace treaty. The dragons are analytical thinkers who don’t understand emotion, art, or music. They view emotion and attachment as distasteful and are taught strict control. But the humans are interesting to them, i
Maggie Stiefvater
I talked about this one on NPR (http://www.npr.org/2012/12/22/1675627...) when I was highlighting the best 2012 YA fiction I'd read IN 2012.

Here's what I said:

My relationship with high fantasy — fantasy set in another world — has always been tumultuous. Actually, I'd like to refer you to the first item on this list. Everything I said about historical fiction also applies here. Which is why, despite multiple recommendations, I let this debut novel about a half-dragon, half-human girl sit unread
Vinaya
You know, the internet is a strange place. You meet so many people, and they influence your life in so many ways, and yet you might spend an entire lifetime without ever once seeing the face of the person you count as a friend. And yet, they are friends. Maybe not the kind you can call at one in the night to cry about your cheating asshole of a boyfriend, but the kind you'd like to meet for a drink, and chill out with and have fun, stimulating conversation with.

And so, with prolonged internet i
Argona
Buddy read with my dear friend, Roya! You can read her wonderful review here.

As a fan of High fantasy and dragons, I really enjoyed reading this book. Like most High fantasy books, the beginning is rather slow but it’s well executed and didn’t drag or bore me to death. The setting of this medieval world is well-developed and interesting. Both humans and dragons have their own histories and way of thinking.

I love dragons and Hartman’s version of dragons as a species capable of shifting into huma
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I have so much love for Rachel Hartman and this book! My five-star ratings are few and far between, but I’d give Seraphina ten if I could. It was so easy to get lost in this world of humans, dragons and those in-between – I still haven’t found my way back.

Hartman’s dragons are magnificent creatures, full of intersting paradoxes. On a physical level, they produce fire, but on an emotional level, they’re cold and tightly controlled. They go to great lengths to remain emotionless, even though thei
Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky)
“We were all monsters and bastards, and we were all beautiful.”

This book deserves all the stars.

I loved it. Loved it.

Beautiful message, sophisticated plotting, sweet and believable romance, awesome main character who managed to be both ordinary and believable while also being the "brave hero".

Read in one 7 hour sitting.

So what was so wonderful about this book?

“The world inside myself is vaster and richer than this paltry plane, peopled with mere galaxies and gods.”

Seraphina addresses se
Felicia
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For a dragon book (SO OVERDONE AMIRIGHT?) this was so lovely and charming. A real fairy tale written now. I loved the characters and the world building, the story was touching and the main character relatable and believable.

The last half was a BIT more draggy, but still,really lovely, YA appropriate, reminded me of Graceling actually.
Jillian -always aspiring-
Fantasy is my favorite genre, but oftentimes I find that fantasy tales are often too simplistic or too pretentious for my liking. Fantasy authors have the burdensome task of creating worlds and cultures that feel real and somewhat familiar but nonetheless offer a sense of danger, wonder, and excitement that few of us experience in our day-to-day lives. In the end, many fantasy novels don't sustain that balance of normalcy and humanity interwoven with the threads of fantasy...but Seraphina remark ...more
A.G. Howard
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I only wish I could give it more than five stars. Gorgeous storytelling, characterization, and masterful world-building. Plus, really cool and unique dragon lore! What's not to love?
Jo
Review contains the slightest of slight spoilers...

“Scattered and peculiar- some of us were sceptical and bitter- we were a people. And I was at the hub of this enormous wheel. I could bring us together. In a way, I already had.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
I liked it better than I thought I would, which says a lot for a fantasy-phobe like me.

High Points.
Seraphina. The world- It was beautifully constructed. Dragons. ORMA. Courts. Concerts. Parades. Emotions. Scales. Dreams. “Tending the garden
Giselle
An unsolicited Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

Seraphina is a half human, half dragon sixteen year old who lived in Goreddia. Humans must show their dragon counterparts that they’re superior so they tend to dominate over their scaley friends. The war has ceased, brought on by the Queen with a treaty. The Ardmagar makes the decisions for these dragons, and is basically in charge.

Seraphina has these gro
Misty
Initially:

And then:
Alright, let's just get this out of the way: Seraphina is one of my favorite books I've read this year. Hands down, without a doubt, straight-up adored it. And I'd say it's my single most-pushed book this year; I've been pushing it on everyone. Obnoxiously. And I'm going to try to tell you why, and I'll do my best to avoid spoilers, but if you take nothing else from this review, understand that I want you to pick this up. Find out why HERE.
Maggie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can count on one hand the number of fantasy books I've enjoyed, but after reading Kat Kennedy's glowing review of Seraphina, I was intrigued by the promise of smart heroines, dragons, and jazz hands. Really, who can turn down jazz hands?

With that in mind, I eagerly started this book. Then I got to mentions of saarantrai, houppelande, and quigutl.

Remember, amateur fantasy reader here. I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm scared off by double letters and words that start with Q.

Another thing that'
April (Aprilius Maximus)
DNF
I cannot get into this book for the life of me. I hate the writing and it’s so weird that I can’t even understand what’s happening :/
Helen 2.0
4.5 rounded up - crazy well written.

Seraphina deserves every YA award for which it was nominated. The core objective of the book is to teach young ladies to accept their minds and bodies and grow into natural self-confidence.
Seraphina, the heroine of the story, undergoes a huge amount of character development in learning to love herself. She goes from:
"How dare the world be beautiful, when I was so horrifying?" (accompanied by self-hate and self-harm)
To:
"We were all monsters and bastards, and w
K.
"He released the last chord like a boulder off a trebuchet." It always feels this way when ending a book. There's a weight to the final words, then you let them go and they're gone.

I don't think I've read a young adult book quite like Seraphina before. Rachel Hartman has built for us a world so rich and unique that it is almost dizzying to walk into. Her world is swathed in dark colours depicting a tale of menacing dragons who advocate peace, a stiff but admirably stalwart royal family of Queens
Denisse
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Buddy Read 02/04/2015 with the Emma's Tea Party aka my favorite group ever. I'll bring the tequila, shhh!

Read for the 2015 Reading Challenge: #7 A book with non-human characters

3.5 Seraphina is a good fantasy book. With a winning mix of fantasy , politics and romance that we have read a lot already. Its biggest mistake is following every single fantasy rule and adding very little extra details. But is definitely worth reading for any fantasy lover. Not remarkable, but enjoyable.

"Our survival d
Crystal Starr Light
"We were all monsters and bastards, and we were all beautiful."

Seraphina Dombegh is an assistant to court musician, Viridius, and is desperately trying to keep a secret that could very well ruin her life. As she works in the court amongst a tenuous peace between humans and dragons, Prince Rufus is violently killed. Slowly, Seraphina is drawn into solving the murder and learning that something rotten is afoot.

What an absolutely delightful reading experience! I thoroughly enjoyed myself while read
Floral Tea Cups B...: "Seraphina" by Rachel Hartman 1 2 May 02, 2019 10:55AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Seraphina [March 2019] 35 35 Mar 19, 2019 11:15AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Seraphina ( Seraphina #1 ) by Rachel Hartman ➝ Restarting January 25th 2019 55 190 Jan 10, 2019 01:48PM
Age Group 5 27 Aug 16, 2018 03:08PM
YA Reading With K...: February Group Read - Seraphina 4 11 Feb 16, 2018 06:47PM
Around the Year i...: Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman 4 17 Jun 20, 2017 03:01AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • Vessel
  • The Floating Islands
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • A Tangle of Gold (The Colours of Madeleine, #3)
  • Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • The Lost Conspiracy
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1)
  • Taming the Forest King
  • Sorrow's Knot
  • The Brides of Rollrock Island
  • The Book of Blood and Shadow
  • Across the Great Barrier (Frontier Magic, #2)
Rachel Hartman lives and writes in Vancouver, BC.

Her first YA fantasy novel, Seraphina, was published by Random House on July 10th, 2012. Here are some things that are already being said about Seraphina by some fabulous authors:

“A book worth hoarding, as glittering and silver-bright as dragon scales, with a heroine who insists on carving herself a place in your mind.” — Naomi Novik, New York Times

Seraphina (2 books)
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)
“We were all monsters and bastards, and we were all beautiful.” 318 likes
“Sometimes the truth has difficulty breaching the city walls of our beliefs. A lie, dressed in the correct livery, passes through more easily.” 254 likes