Start by marking “Reawakening (Reawakening, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reawakening (Reawakening, #1)

Reawakening

(Reawakening #1)

For a thousand years, since their defeat of the Shadow at Eyr, the dragons have slept under the mountains. Now their king, Tarnamell, has woken. Driven mad by loneliness, he hurls himself south until he finds and tries to claim the Alagard Desert. Unfortunately, the desert already has a guardian spirit, and he doesn't want to share. Amused by the cocky little desert spirit ...more
Published January 17th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published January 16th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Reawakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reawakening

Julio Genao
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok

description

be careful what you wish for.

when i read ms. durreson's marvelously inventive and promising free novella The Lodestar of Ys, i bemoaned the hurly-burly nature of the story—rushing from one interesting locale to another, abandoning nicely-realized settings and characters alike, just as i was growing to appreciate them.

now?

now i've got the opposite complaint.

but that's all i can really say without spoilers.

i can't talk about this book the way i want to without maybe ruining the story for people wh
ttg
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, reviews
4.5 stars - For fantasy fans, Reawakening is a pretty smashing novel, filled with beautiful exotic settings, creatures of lore (dragons!), fighting gods, battlemaidens, the walking dead, and a dark menacing villain that can infiltrate your heart. It’s got sword fights, daring escapes across the desert, a developing romance (and yes, sexy times), and most of all, a lot of adventure.

Tarn the dragon is awakened after centuries of sleep to find his treasured hoard depleted and the world having moved
Vivian
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-fantasy
DRAGONS!

Yes, I'm very predictable. I <3 Dragons. This is a suitably diverting tale of evil that surfaces and those who fight it.

Tarn, is the first dragon. He reawakens after a long, long, long slumber. Unsure why, he flies out to investigate. Things have changed dramatically. As he journeys, he finds that which he covets most--Alagard. More importantly he needs to fight the rising evil, and along the way he acquires a new hoard.

The story is engaging and thoughtful. One can certainly see sim
Heller
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5

This is exactly what I needed to read right now. Just a fantastic fantasy story, that's basically battle for control of the world. Very good vs evil/light vs dark.

I loved Tarn the dragon so very much. He's ancient, he's lonely and he's been asleep for a thousand years. The world has cracked and been remade in his absence and he's only a fireside story of legend, but something woke him up and whatever that was is waking up other things that want more than just to be loved.

Alagard, the Desert
Bob Milne
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqa, fantasy-epic
As epic fantasies go, Reawakening is one of the more original (and enjoyable) tales I've come across in some time. Alternately dark and light, violent and erotic, Amy Rae Durreson manages to cram a lot into its pages, and all without having the story feel bloated or rushed.

It's been a thousand years since dragons last roamed the land, a millennium in which their heroic defeat of the Shadow has become a thing of myth and legend. As the first dragon to awaken from his long slumber, Tarnamell is de
M
Well, that was properly fantastic. Durreson has written a remarkable fantasy novel filled with all the best fantasy tropes; magic, dragons, gods, warrior-priestesses, epic battles, etc. All set against the backdrop of a richly detailed world with distinct cultures and histories. The protagonist is a powerful Dragon called Tarn who awakes from a thousand-year sleep to a changed world and finds a desert spirit he wants to court. But he also finds that an ancient enemy has crept back into the world ...more
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy, m-m
This book has been sitting in my reader since January and I do not know why I ignored it. I'm a huge fan of the fantasy genre and mixed with m/m romance makes this book perfect for me. Fantastic world building! Great characters! I hope there is going to be more of the gay dragons. :)

5 Sparkling Stars!
K.J. Charles
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy, gay
I don't generally read dragons or high fantasy but this came strongly recommended, for which I am glad. Lovely characters in a vividly drawn, well constructed world about which I'd be glad to read more (Sethan and Cayc's story please!). There was a real sense of melancholy about Tarn's endless existence and need for love. And even though the romantic conflict hinged on communications failure, that's pretty fair when the communicators are a millennia-old dragon and the spirit of a desert.

Great f
M'rella
The book started so well, with dragons and desert spirits and old lore; it promised a grand adventure.

The Dragon King wakes from his slumber and sets out on a quest. We learn ancient history of this world. We travel to remnants of the ancient kingdom.
We meet new characters as Dragon King joins a caravan to cross into a desert. We stumble upon a victim of a vicious attack - Gard, the desert spirit, who is now under complete control of the evil Shadow.

But then?
Oh, when all else fails, call for
Christina
3.5 Stars

This was a fun and lighthearted fantasy. Tarnamell (Tarn), king of the ancient dragons, wakes after being asleep for over a thousand years. The Shadow is defeated, but not without loss. Friends, lovers, and soldiers have long passed. Tarn finds himself lonely. He seeks out to learn more of this new world and to gather a new hoard. This is where he meets the desert spirit, Alagard (Gard). He is feisty and has youthful quality about him. Tarn wants nothing more than to have Alagard and hi
Ami
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Jerry
High fantasy is not high on my priority of favorite genre. However, I do like to challenge myself from time to time, to read outside of my comfort zone. I'd like to be surprised, and I did, several times (most notably with my now loving historical MM). But either it was my not favoring the genre or Durreson's writing just didn't click with me (I have only read two of her stories and they weren't that memorable to me either), this one was just okay in my book. Not blown-away nor interested with t ...more
Georgie-who-is-Sarah
Glommed this and its sequels in a couple of delighted days. Excellent stuff. Effective world building, strong characters, persuasive romance. I was going to write "credible romance", but as one of the lovers is a dragon...

Durreson is an auto-buy author for me now. She writes across a number of genres and she's convincing, subtle and funny in all of them.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blogger Girls review site.

It should come as no surprise that I adored this book. In fact, I loved it so much that I read it until the wee hours of the morning just to finish it and woke up with a book hangover the next day but IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT!

This is the story of Tarnamell, the dragon king (and firstborn dragon), who’s woken up centuries after he went into a healing sleep. Upon awakening, he’s consumed by loneliness and in his flight to understand what has
Pjm12
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book cleverly intertwines lightness and banter with sadness and seriousness. Tarn is an indelible character, and although we only get his viewpoint, others are only too willing to share their (somewhat skewed and sometimes harsh) view of him, so we do get a larger picture.

The plot is not too difficult, but the world and its history and its people can be confusing, especially as Durreson tries hard not to overload us with exposition and information. I appreciate not everything can be or sho
Наталья
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5
Понравилось почти все. Древний терпеливый дракон, жаждущий любви, и игривый вольнолюбивый дух пустыни - их разговоры часто вызывали у меня улыбку (что не очень удобно, когда идешь по улице :-D). Придуманный и тщательно прописанный мир (даже прилагается справочник), множество второстепенных персонажей, приключения и общий враг со своими сюрпризами.

Но немного утомили постоянные походы, и лобовое протовостояние с врагом разрешилось слишком быстро.

Рекомендуется любителям фэнтэзи-слэша и, в частно
Lala
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lala by: Наталья
4.5 stars.

Very, very good! Solid world-building, intriguing characters...this book sucked me in from the first pages. Tarn was adorable, I loved him so much. Alagard was irritating, frankly. So immature for a 1000 year old spirit...ugh.
Anyway, Tarn made up for all of that.

Just wish the plot was a bit tighter. All the traveling back and forth with stops here and there scattered the book.

Will definitely read the next book! I'm way intrigued by Arden.
Katharina
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites
6 stars? 7?

It's about 1.5 hours after I planned to sleep and can't bring myself to care. I'm flummoxed. Flabbergasted. Other funny words starting with an f.

I expected quite a bit from this book because I read M's glorious review before starting and M's not one to give 5 stars lightly. I still didn't expect this.

This book started out pretty great, no question. But it took me about twenty to thirty pages until I wanted to forget about absolutely everything I was supposed to do and just go on and
Amy Durreson
May 25, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: own-work
The first of my dragon series :)

This story, unusually for me, started with a single sentence: "The dragon flew south, out of the mountains, in search of the heat of the desert." That was all I had, in response to a vague fancy for writing about a dragon. A version of that line is still the opening sentence of the book, and I wrote the rest of it to find out why he wanted to find the desert (it turned out he fell in love with it, much to the desert's irritation).

This is the most shamelessly epic
YullSanna
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
3,5
Ярко, продумано и интересно! Очень кропотливый труд, и это чувствуется. Почему оценка низковата?
Сумбурно. То есть мне понравились герои и сюжет, но что-то постоянно отвлекало, будь то сложная речь, бесконечные странствование или все новые и новые персонажи, в жизнь которых нужно было обязательно вникать, или забыть о логической концовке.
Вполне возможно, я просто ленивый читатель *пожимает плечами*

Наташа, спасибо за рекомендацию! Я нисколько не жалею, что прочла ;)
Antonella
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. I found it imaginative and well written. See review by ttg, she already said it all, including my perplexities. The main one: less sex would have been better, and less descriptive-banal-stereotyped sex.
Colette
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, m-m
I have a weakness for dragons, so I was really excited to find this book, and it more than lived up to my hopes. A Dragon Lord awakes after thousanda of years and goes in search of warmth and a love and a new hoard. I loved this story and the authors take on dragons and their hoards. If you love fantasy and great story telling you should definitely pick this up. Highly recommended.
Leanne
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mm, romance

I loved the wistful, pining dragon trying to woo his desert spirit and accumulate a beloved hoard, but thought it lost some impetus around the halfway mark. It took me days to get through to the last quarter where things picked up nicely again to a satisfying end.
Good world building, great characters and the best pairing of a dragon and desert spirit you're ever likely to read.
Mercedes
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, fantasy

From the minute I started I was hooked! Dragon pursuing not-so friendly desert sprite. It seemed right what the Dr. order.
The story is good, very good. But maybe too good because so many characters are introduced! I kinda stopped caring about the main issue after a while and was skimming to Gard's and Tarn's parts.

I would still recommended to Dragon stories lovers.

Plainbrownwrapper
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, read-again-maybe
What can I say, I love Amy's narrative voice. And just about everything else about her writing. The characters, the snark, the imaginative plots, the worldbuilding. Good stuff.

I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
Jenn
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this fantasy novel in the way that The Neverending Story always makes me smile with nostalgia or that I really enjoy Stardust from Neil Gaiman. Fun but not too dark or angsty. I’d even normally probably round this up to a 4 because the world-building is great, the cast of characters interesting, and I’d never in a million years think of pairing a dragon and a desert spirit together, but it worked beautifully. But this took me days to finish because the pace dragged in s
Anna C
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtqqiaap, novel
Suka bgt sama buku ini, langsung order paperback-nya. XD

Aku suka dgn pasangannya di sini. Sangat original menurutku. Biasanya naga x manusia, sekarang naga x elemental sprite.

Tarn x Gard, langsung jadi pasangan favoritku. I really love their banters. XD
Tarn si naga yg over protektif ini adalah naga tertua yg terbangun dari tidurnya yg panjang selama ribuan tahun setelah kelelahan memerangi Shadow si evil yg immortal bersama para manusia dan naga lainnya. Tarn yg kesepian krn para manusia yg dic
M.C. Hana
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I more-than-occasionally whine about the lack of high-quality SF&F with explicit M/M elements.

Well, since many of the mainstream SF&F publishers are late to the party, it's a good thing M/M e-rom publishers like Dreamspinner are stepping up and pushing boundaries. I have the honor today of reviewing one of their latest offerings: 'Rewakening' by Amy Rae Durreson.

From the publisher's blurb: 'For a thousand years, since their defeat of the Shadow at Eyr, the dragons have slept under the mo
multitaskingmomma
Original Blog Post: http://headouttheoven.blogspot.com/20...

A surprise high fantasy, Reawakening is my first experience with author Amy Rae Durreson and I am astounded at the story that unfolded and could never forget. As this is about dragons, it made it even more memorable.

This is a highly visual epic fantasy adventure. Written in the style where only a handful succeed, the book opens to a newly awakened dragon king who finds himself without hoard, without love. Flying across a once bountiful
Pamela Su
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A breathtakingly fascinating fantasy that builds slowly with an odd lack of TPO considerations.

I really enjoyed this story. The beginning was fantastic and I loved the first encounter between Tarn and Alagard. Absolutely promising beginning.

And then...the middle happened.

The story moved slowly. Sometimes, there's excitement and action happens, but then it slows down again. This confuses me because I really enjoyed the story! The slow pace should have killed my interest but I was still absolutely
Aislinn
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
Tarn is a dragon, waking from a sleep of a millennium after defeating the Shadow. His first act is reviving himself in a desert where he encounters a petulant spirit who intrigues him. After briefly returning to his own land, he assumed human form and joins a caravan heading back toward the desert to claim the desert sprite.

This book had a lot of the things I love in a good story, with engaging main characters, interesting and varied secondary characters, fantastical elements with a battle of go
Around the Year i...: Reawakening, by Amy Rae Durreson 3 28 Jul 22, 2016 07:59AM
The Backlot Gay B...: Reawakening by Amy Rae Durreson 5 17 Sep 15, 2015 04:39PM
  • Of Last Resort (Princes of the Blood, #1)
  • Champion of the Scarlet Wolf, Book Two (Champion of the Scarlet Wolf, #2)
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Thick as Thieves (Thick as Thieves, #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
  • Locked (Telluric Realm, #1)
  • The Archer's Heart Book Three (The Archer's Heart, #3)
  • Dream (Aisling Trilogy, #2)
  • Battle of Will
  • Capture (Torsere, #1)
Amy Rae Durreson is a writer and romantic, who writes m/m romances. She likes to go wandering across the local hills with a camera, hunting for settings for her stories. She's got a degree in early English literature, which she blames for her somewhat medieval approach to spelling, and at various times has been fluent in Latin, Old English, Ancient Greek, and Old Icelandic, though please don't ask ...more

Reawakening (4 books)
  • Resistance (Reawakening, #2)
  • Recovery (Reawakening, #3)
  • Rebellion (Reawakening, #4)
“ 'Yes. He was happy. He said, on that last visit, that some things were worth the wait. The world changes in unexpected ways, and all we can do is live in it and take joy in how it surprises us.' ” 4 likes
“There are some fights none of us can win.” 1 likes