Start by marking “Lessons in Falling” as Want to Read:
Lessons in Falling

Lessons in Falling

LESSON ONE: Playing it safe beats taking chances.

After an injury ends Savannah’s dream of a college gymnastics scholarship, she quits
despite her parents’ protests. She won’t risk breaking her body—and heart—again.

LESSON TWO: Catch your best friend when she falls—or regret it forever.

Rules are meant to be broken, according to Savannah’s best friend, Cassie—and it’s more fun
Published February 7th 2017 by Spencer Hill Press

Start your review of Lessons in Falling
Sarah Elizabeth
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and NetGalley.)

This was a contemporary story about a gymnast and her strained relationship with her best friend.

I felt quite sorry for Savannah in this because of the way her best friend Cassie treated her. Savannah looked to Cassie as her best friend, whilst Cassie seemed to always be putting her down and focusing her attention on her other friend instead.

The storyline in this was about Savannah going back to gymna
Tara
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first book that I received from Netgalley- so thank you to them.

I have all the mixed feelings about this book. It took me about three times as long to read it as it should have and there were definitely parts that I did not like. Where to start?

Savannah is probably the blandest character in the whole book. Which isn’t good as she is the main character. Aside from gymnastics (which she has given up), being a decent student and being unable to drive I know absolutely nothing about wha
Sarah Joint
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great YA novel. I've found when they're good, like this one is, I really enjoy reading them as a nice palate cleanser between my usual darker mysteries. It was easy to get into and hard to put down.

Savannah is determined that her most recent gymnastics injury is her last. The pain and physical therapy have made her throw in the towel. To the disappointment of her parents, she wants to be done with gymnastics. Her best friend Cassie encourages this, content to have fun and plan their future wit
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
*3.5 Stars*

More than any other sport, watching and learning about gymnastics has always fascinated me. When my five year old self tried gymnastics, I was not a fan, but it is always so cool to watch others flip and tumble like there's no tomorrow. This is exactly what got me to request Lessons in Falling from Netgalley- I haven't read too much about gymnasts, and I thought this book would be such a fun way to learn!

I did end up liking this book, but not enough to give it full stars or anything.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
When I dislike a book for so many reasons as much as LESSONS IN FALLING, writing a review without piling on is difficult, so I'm going to do bullet points.

POSITIVES:

*Shows how unhealthy, unsupportive friendships can be limiting
*Some of characters are interesting and complex
*Savannah grows throughout the book

NEGATIVES:

*Hello racial stereotypes- all the Latinos lived in a bad neighborhood, were angry and prone to fighting etc
*Overt and covert racism often unaddressed
*Excess, pointless dialogue di
Sue Holmes
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
*Review copy received from publisher*
Full review: http://crushingcinders.com/lessons-in...
Lessons in Falling is about friendships, how they evolve and the dangers of losing yourself to a stronger character. It has a vital message regarding finding yourself and the negative effects of xenophobia, more relevant today than ever before.

I love books based almost entirely on characterisations and was really looking forward to this promising story. While I did enjoy it, I didn’t get the feel of the cha
Jaz
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Savannah and Cassie have a strained relationship, which is the main focus of this story. Each have their own things going own in their lives - Cassie struggles to make plans for life after high school, and Savannah has her gymnastics career.

Savannah has an injured knee, which makes things more difficult in regards to college and scholarships. Savannah seems to care about Cassie more than Cassie cares about Savannah.

A few times while I was reading this book, I wondered if it would have benefited
Rachel
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and raw. The flawed characters were like snapshots of my life. I smiled almost throughout the whole book - sometimes from humor, other times from the ribbing the writing serves to anyone who's experienced adolescence, rocky friendships, and life changes. As much as I hated the character's decisions at times, I could always understand why they were made. That relatability draws you into this page-turner and leaves you wanting more. We're ready for another, Ms. Gallagher!
Boundless Book Reviews
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lessons in Falling is a coming of age tale of that kind of gets you right in the heart.

Savannah is a gymnast but after an injury, she’s really questioning if she wants to continue on. She’s been doing it her whole life so in all honesty its a part of her. I loved that she was a gymnast. You don’t see very many stories with that background. Throughout this book, there are a ton of ups and downs. From her friend Cassie to the new boy in her life Marcos.

This is Diana Gallagher’s debut into the bo
Maddy Fink
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Personal Response:
Lessons In Falling was a true heart stopping story. Once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. The main characters story is entirely relatable to any athlete. The friendship instability and having a boyfriend is also very understandable. There were many times in that I nearly cried or threw the book across the floor. This book is not for the cold hearted.

Plot Summary:
Savannah is, no, was a gymnast, but an awful ACL tear convinces her she needs out. Cassie, her best friend,
Faith Wisniewski
Name: Faith Wisniewski

Book title: Lessons In Falling
Personal Response:
I really liked Lessons In Falling. There is a lot of action and there is also romance. The author uses appropriate vocabulary for a reader of my age. She also describes the events very well.

Plot
Lessons In Falling is about a gymnast that blows out her knee at sectionals of her junior year. Savannah tears her ACL, MCL, and Meniscus doing a beam routine in front of 3 judges and a crowd of people. After the surgery and she is told
Michelle Quinn
Warning: A lot of confusion lies ahead. You've been warned.

2-4 stars? No rating? Honestly, I don't have a clue on how to rate this book.

Let's start with something easy: the writing style. While it wasn't my favourite, I really didn't hate it. However, as the main character is a teenager there is a lot of texting, and it wasn't clear when it was texting or when it was part of the narrative. It would all be together in one paragraph, no italics, no quotation marks, nothing to differentiate between
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:

Despite the synopsis, Diana Gallagher's Lessons in Falling is not really about gymnastics. I would say the bulk of the story is about protagonist Savannah overcoming her fear of failure and taking chances. This extends to gymnastics, yes, but more to her long time friendship with her best friend, Cassie. It's a book that's primarily about Savannah trying to move forward after a possibly career-ending injury, and the people who both help and hinder her.

Wh
Shaeley Santiago
This coming of age story focuses on a gymnast whose injury has caused her to reconsider her dream of going to college on a gymnastics scholarship. At the same time, she's navigating a rough patch with her best friend and wondering if she really knows Cassie or not. Then there's the boy she meets. The fact that Marcos doesn't know her as an accomplished gymnast allows her to explore more of her identity and who she really wants to be.

I reviewed an electronic ARC on NetGalley courtesy of the publi
Amber
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is more of a story of two friends falling apart. While I don't think the suicide attempt by Cassie was misdone, I do feel like it could have been easily replaced by another reason.
I received an ecopy of this book through Netgalley; however, my opinions are my own.
Lissa Rice
**4 Boundless Stars** Full Review and Rating will be up at Boundless Book Reviews
lady✨{christine}
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This in no way affects my opinion of the book.

I don’t think I’ve been this conflicted about a book in a while.

On the surface, Lessons In Falling is about learning how to let go of the fear of failure, something that’s relatable at any age. Underneath the surface, this is a book that tries to tackle a lot of issues with mixed results.

toxic friendships

I was drawn into this book by the complicated relationship between
Veronica of V's Reads
3.5 Stars for this contemporary YA romance.

Savannah is a sixteen year-old former gymnastics champion who's still recovering from the knee injury she suffered six months ago. She's had surgery and physical therapy, and can't imagine going back to gymnastics because she can't be perfect.

She lives in a small coastal New York town that's having a social crisis over the large number of immigrant Mexicans and DREAMers who've taken up residence in this locale. Savannah's always been sheltered by her fa
Mary Flynn
Lesson learned: I shouldn't pick up books wrapped in my favorite unsung sports that are secretly about other things. I lost out with reading Winger because of RUGBY!! and I lost out again reading Lessons in Falling because of GYMNASTICS!! Well, okay, I know being me I'm going to keep picking them up (anyone know of a book about a rhythmic gymnast?), but I should expect disappointment going forward.
Once again, that rating picked up at least half a star because gymnastics was included (knowledgeab
Charmaine
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oof. This book is a dilemma and a half. Diana Gallagher did an incredible job of crafting a story about a toxic friendship. In this case, the motives and feelings of each party are so realistic it hurts. You feel empathy for both sides.

We all grow up and grow apart, and that's a freaky thing to realize. We get so caught up in the memories that it's hard to let go. This book could have very easily been from Cassie's perspective. We could have gone through the gauntlet of mental illness, betrayal
Jess
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and NetGalley*

After one injury too many, Savannah quit gymnastics, much to the disappointment of her parents.
When Sav's best friend, Cassie, attempts suicide, Sav wonders just how well she knows Cassie.
Sav grows closer to Marcos, the guy that found Cassie, and who believes that Sav can still achieve her gymnastics dreams and that Cassie is no good for her.
Will Sav give up gymnastics for good?
Is Cassie
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
After Savannah blows out her knee during the Regions gymnastics tournament in front of her family, friends and college recruiters, she decides she's done with the sport forever. Done with the pain. Done with her body failing her. She's content to let her best friend Cassie take the lead and plan their senior year and future in NYC.

Then Cassie tries to kill herself.

I loved it. It accurately portrays the guilt, hurt and confusion when a friend tries to harm themselves and it seemed like there were
K.
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
DNF at about 60%. I like the gymnastics aspects, but the racial stuff made me really uncomfortable. There are slurs used multiple times against Latinx/Hispanic people. I don't think the author is Latinx/Hispanic, but I'm not positive. I'm *really* not ok with authors using slurs if they're not a part of that group.

All the Latinx/Hispanic characters come from the "bad" part of town. There are negative things said about Latinx/Hispanic people that are never addressed as being wrong in the book. In
Lghiggins
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lessons in Falling has the expert touch of a gymnast in writer Diana Gallagher. Although the focus of the story is gymnastics, the book is so much more. This is not one of those themed books for young readers aimed at an audience of pre-teen and teenage girls who are, were, or want to be gymnasts. The scope of this book ranges from teenage friendships to romantic relationships. It encompasses issues common to teenagers: college applications and scholarships, driver’s tests, depression, texting, ...more
Megan
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a free ebook copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Hmm... I would say that my initial thoughts on this book are that I found it rather slow and boring. That may just be because of me, and not actually the way it's written, but that's probably why it took me so long to read. But while it didn't grab my attention the way I would have wanted, that wasn't the only (or the biggest) issue. The casual racism and serious stereotyping of races was a major issue for m
Krystle Lopez
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was interesting as I do not know anything about gymnastics other than my daughter participates in it. This story does a great job of introducing you to the sport.

Savannah's a senior in high school who had a nearly career ending injury, so to speak, in gymnastics. She was able to recover from the injury, but she was afraid to do anything more in gymnastics for fear that she would permanently ruin her knee. As if that weren't difficult to recover from, her father teaches at her high sch
Eden
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was not only read, but has meaning. There are many events that at times make you want to slap the characters hard (stupid comments and decisions) however then take in realization that if our lives were put into a book, we would read it and feel the same.

This book drives deeply into your soul as certain events happen. To be honest the beginning was kind of slow but if you just read on you get that feeling inside that you feel like you're the character and what happens to them happens t
Eli
Solely based on the blurb, I'd imagine that Lessons in Falling is a fun marshmallow contemporary set somewhere like Nebraska about a girl struggling to get back into her gymnastics career. Sweet and harmless.

Instead, what I got was the book that I didn't know I would fall in love with. It's fierce and fearless, tackling issues of racism, illegal immigration, poverty, injured athletes, and the complicated world of gymnastics.

If you want a book like the former, I'd gladly point you toward Shawn Jo
Alice Kaltman
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Talk about lessons in falling. Falling from gymnastic grace, falling in love, falling in and out of friendships. How about me, falling in love with this book? As an amateur athlete and professional dancer, I absolutely adored this realistic description of sports, physical pain, the passion of MOVING. As someone from Long Island, I can say: Gallagher has describing that neck of the woods DOWN. The racial tensions, the small town attitudes. All the feels. This is a great YA book that adults w ...more
Trisha
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm sure that there are many that will find this book interesting. They will think the struggle between these two girls - to keep their friendship status quo as they grow and change - and Savannah's adventure into dating someone that has some issues deeply meaningful and moving.

I'm just not one of them. I didn't find the gymnastics that distracting, although I almost broke down to find out what some of the moves and flips terminology meant. And I liked the added edge of Marcos and some of the dr

• Ten Thousand Skies Above You (Firebird, #2)
  • A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares
  • A Million Worlds with You (Firebird, #3)
  • A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)
  • Optimists Die First
  • Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life
  • Extraordinary
  • Relative Strangers
  • Unbreak My Heart
Though Diana Gallagher be but little, she is fierce. She’s also a gymnastics coach, writing professor, and country music aficionado. She holds an MFA from Stony Brook University and writes about flipping-related activity for The Couch Gymnast. Her work has also appeared in The Southampton Review and on a candy cigarette box for SmokeLong Quarterly. She’s represented by Tina Wexler of ICM Partners.