Start by marking “Nyarlathotep” as Want to Read:

Nyarlathotep

What would you get if you mixed Edgar Allan Poe, Alfred Hitchcock and Stephen King? The answer might be something resembling Howard Phillips (H.P.) Lovecraft (1890-1937), an extremely influential poet and author who mixed science fiction, horror and fantasy into a subgenre known as “weird fiction”. Perhaps none encapsulates weird fiction like his creation of the monster ...more
Published May 7th 2012 by Acheron Press (first published November 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Nyarlathotep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nyarlathotep

Start your review of Nyarlathotep
Bill Kerwin

I know, I know… this is just the paranoid Democrat in me obsessing, but when I read the beginning of “Nyarlathotep,” I instantly thought of how I’ve felt in these months since Trump became president:
I do not recall distinctly when it began, but it was months ago. The general tension was horrible. To a season of political and social upheaval was added a strange and brooding apprehension of hideous physical danger; a danger widespread and all-embracing, such a danger as may be imagined only in
Lyn
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nyarlathotep, Lovecraft’s 1920 “crawling chaos” addition to his fictional universe is a must read for Lovecraft fans.

This very short work also demonstrates Lovecraft’s influence by Edgar Allen Poe as HP uses a more antiquated language, almost poetic in style. Another difference of Nyarlathotep with other creations in Lovecraft’s world building is that this pre-Egyptian may be an earthling who answered a call rather than an Old One himself. Also, unlike Cthulhu or Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlathotep is
Peter
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Horror and catastrophies threaten to waste the country. Everybody is afraid of this situation. What about the role of Nyarlathotep? Who is it by the way? This is one of the stories of Lovecraft that doesn't come to the point in my opinion, doesn't render Nyarlathotep as uncanny as he might be. To me only average even though its promising title.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
3.5
Nyarlathotep
Nyarlathotep, or the Crawling Chaos, is a gate keeper of sorts and he opens the way for other gods. He has many forms, but in this story he appears as a "tall, swarthy man" who seems to have more knowledge than anyone our narrator or people around him know.
Supposedly he arrived from Egypt and he travels around demonstrating strange things and making people have nightmares. The narrator himself becomes one of his followers.
Martin
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short is the first time the Lovecraftean God Nyarlathotep appears - the Crawling Chaos.

I love the review comparing this story to the election of Trump. I can't even add anything further there. Enough said.

3 stars!
Brian
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A five to seven minute read.

Lovecraft writes this with poetic grace, sweeps the reader into a world being overtaken by otherworldly beings and an ancient Egyptian god.

Highly recommended! Pure delight and horror.
Mizuki
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, great
Nyarlathotep is a very short story by H P. Lovecraft. Basically this short story reads like it's a scene from a dream: Nyarlathotep shows up, something supernatural is clearly going on around the guy as the city is driven half mad by him, the nameless narrator and a group of people go to visit Mr. N, the narrator even goes so bold as to mock Mr. N and claims he isn't scared of Mr. N's 'tricks', but then...........I guess you know nothing good can come up with mocking a powerful Older One...a.k.a ...more
Patrick Saville
Wow! I loved this one!!
Maggie ☠  Eldritch Abomination ☠
I had no idea Nikola Tesla was so evil. First, he creates a time machine (a la, Odd Apocalpyse), now he's an eldritch being from another dimension that likes entertaining people with electricity... (view spoiler)

Okay...

To be fair, this story was apparently inspired by a dream, which explains the strangeness and seeming lack of a point. A dream starring Nikola Tesla of course! Who else? Only Lovecraft would turn him into the infamous harbinger
Pierce Burnette
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another perfect piece out of Lovecrafts work for newcomers. A short piece of prose written in Lovecraft’s almost dream-like style, tells the tale of Nyarlathotep moving from city to city, starting in Egypt, bringing mystical truths and nightmares everywhere he goes.
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
"Nyarlathotep...the crawling chaos...I am the last...I will tell the audient void..."

This is the first line in Lovecraft's very short story Nyarlathotep, and right when I read that sentence I knew this was going to be a good story.

This story introduces one of Lovecraft's most sinister characters...the great crawling chaotic bastard himself, Nyarlathotep; except in this story he's a SWARTHY chaotic bastard. He's got to allure and congregate cultists somehow.

If you've read my review of another
Michael Kress
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 1920s
After having read and become familiar with the Cthulhu mythos, this story just seemed like a super-condensed version of that, without adding anything. Perhaps this might serve as an introduction to Cthulhu for somebody who is unfamiliar, but I doubt it. I had to immerse myself in Lovecraft's world to understand it. I've been reading him consistently for years now and appreciate it more than I did before.

Ironically, this story reminded me of the cyclical nature of reality. The universe moves in
Marco
Aug 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: supernatural
This short story introduces one of Lovecraft's recurring "characters": Nyarlathotep. He is here described as a tall, swarthy man who resembles an ancient Egyptian pharaoh. In this story he wanders the earth, seemingly gathering legions of followers, the narrator of the story among them, through his demonstrations of strange and seemingly magical instruments. These followers lose awareness of the world around them, and through the narrator's increasingly unreliable accounts the reader gets an ...more
Toolshed
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply gotta rate this on its own. It's that brilliant. Has to be the greatest Lovecraft work. Sure, stories like The Shadow over Innsmouth or The Whisperer in the Darkness have come close, but this one takes the cake. The imagery is so vivid, the apocalyptic visions so richly depicted and yet, Lovecraft has refrained from what he couldn't manage in many of his other tales - to become overly explicatory and to destroy the mystery with a flood of words. Here, he tells whole tales on just two ...more
Andrew
While the story itself is only so-so and ends in confused horror, this Lovecraft classic created one of his most personable, lasting, and sinister characters. It also contains the line, "the hellish moon-glitter of evil snows," which demands respect. Not a bad 5 minute read at all!
Ryan Rikic
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have read a large majority of the Lovecraft mythos you will have a better understand of the magnitude of this creature. Its pretty bitchin.
Austin Wright
Something between a short short and a poem. Klinger's annotations made this story much more enjoyable.

Joseph Inzirillo
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even the shortest of Lovecraft's works are amazing. He just has a way of making you understand the most unspeakable fear. Very short and worth the read.
Annisa Anggiana
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
I have to read Lovecraft more often!
Michael Sorbello
A truly nightmarish vision of a horrifying, gothic landscape induced by the frenzied visions from the one called The Crawling Chaos.
Baal Of
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weird, fiction, horror
Not so much a story, as an introduction of a character, one of my favorites from the Cthulhu mythos. Seems very fragmentary and incomplete.
Netanella
Men advised one another to see Nyarlathotep, and shuddered. And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished; for the small hours were rent with the screams of nightmare. Never before had the screams of nightmare been such a public problem; now the wise men almost wished they could forbid sleep in the small hours, that the shrieks of cities might less horribly disturb the pale, pitying moon as it glimmered on green waters gliding under bridges, and old steeples crumbling against a sickly sky.

Lovecraft
Phil Fillinger
I’m pretty sure this short story is at least 80% just description of things... which to me... leaves little to no actual substance.

That being said, this is a clear influence to one of my favorite band’s (Dream Theater) song “The Dark Eternal Night”, with some phrasing lifted right from this story. That alone made me excited, and quite so.
It
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.9
I would give it a five but I want to save it for something truly perfect. God this was wonderful. The writing style was beautiful. It was short and vague. I simply love the style. I read it twice to make sure I understood it.

4.7
Actually, 4.7. I wish these stories has some sort of message or theme. Some substance.
Brian Finch
This left me a little unsatisfied. This is the first time HP wrote about Nyarlathotep, so if feel like it's significance in his cannon alone, should make this more important. Yet, I simply felt distance in his writing. Maybe it was the lyrical-ness of the writing I found alienating, I'm not sure. I am struggling to figure out why I didn't enjoy it.
Amy (Other Amy)
I ... didn't get it. At. All. Something about the return of a Pharaoh, possibly causing apocalypse?

(Moving 2015 review to separate work to make room under collection for review, September 2017. And I should note that at the urging of friends I will give this one another chance. After I finish the rest of Lovecraft.)
Anne
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
So, apparently this story came to Lovecraft as a dream...more like a nightmare, but whatever. It's about this "god" of Egypt named Nyarlathotep. He's more like a personification of chaos. A fascinating story, but I kind of wish Lovecraft wrote a book about this character.
William
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And it was then that Nyarlathotep came out of Egypt.
Alex Mutton
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightfully creepy
Jenna Glode
when people ridicule your awesome supernatural powers, just fucking banish them to unknown realm and doom all of humanity
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Crowd
  • The Imp of the Perverse
  • Eleonora
  • The Shambler from the Stars
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
“And where Nyarlathotep went, rest vanished, for the small hours were rent with the screams of nightmare.” 16 likes
“As if beckoned by those who had gone before, I half floated between the titanic snowdrifts, quivering and afraid, into the sightless vortex of the unimaginable.” 0 likes