Start by marking “Confessions of an Imaginary Friend” as Want to Read:
Confessions of an Imaginary Friend

Confessions of an Imaginary Friend

Nobody likes Jacques Papier besides his sister; when he comes across a cowgirl at the park and she informs him that he's an imaginary friend, just like her, Jacques’s world is forever changed.
Published 2015

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of an Imaginary Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of an Imaginary Friend

Start your review of Confessions of an Imaginary Friend
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book on: | Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Audible | BookDepository (FREE WORLDWIDESHIPPING) |

3 out of 5 stars. Please read my rating system further below. SUCH A CUTE BOOK. I CAN'T STOP SMILING!!!

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating I've ever given a
L.R.W. Lee
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Endearing Tale of What it Means to Be

What a beautiful and exceedingly deep tale. What does it mean to be real? What can our imaginations free us to think and become? Who are we really? What is the essence of us?

This is certainly a story both young and old will enjoy...
Rose☮️
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's lines like this that make this simply beautiful

"The truth is, that's all anyone wants, to be known that way, to be seen. I don't mean our hair or our clothes, I mean seen for who we really are. We all want to find that one person who knows the real us, all our quirks, and still understands. Have you ever had anyone see you? Really, truly, the deepest part that seems invisible to the rest of the world?"

This is a story about an imaginary friend who discovers he's not real and seeks out to
Jon
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seen at Bookish Antics!
I didn’t know what this book was about when I first picked it up other than the fact that it’s being adapted into an animated film and was being compared to Toy Story. I was mentally unprepared for Confessions and it turned out to be one of the most clever and emotional reads I’ve read in so long. Jacques’s memoir will make readers of all ages turn into emotional mushes and is something so precious. Confessions Of An Imaginary Friend is such a special book and is bound to
Amy-Jo Conant
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audio Book (speaker uses a heavy french accent for effect)
Lexile 700
Accelerated Reader 4.8

I picked this up purely by accident and couldn't have been happier. I read the cover very quickly and saw memoir. Since I am always on the hunt for new memoirs I grabbed it quickly. It turns out I was very wrong. This is a fictional book about an imaginary friend. This book is a nice break from the heavy books one usually finds this age group.

I love that the concept of this book is very different. I
Addisyn W
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kaethe Douglas
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
In the way that any sentimental book about childhood and becoming real (cf., Peter Pan, Pinocchio, The Velveteen Rabbit) is much more appealing to an adult audience than a young one, I wouldn't actually recommend this to any kids. I enjoyed it, and I really empathized with Jacques' dilemma. And of course the ending brings it all together in a meaningful way. But I think kids are going to read this and think Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends*, and wonder "why bother?"

*Feel free to substitute
Lisa Straubinger
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just as I was really starting to enjoy this book I hit a part that made me go, huh? Quickly after though it redeemed itself. This book is for anyone, young or old, who has had an imaginary friend. It gives you moments for pause and lots of food for thought. What if we could all be like an imaginary friend, a support system, for those we care about?
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2017
This was a marvelous book, recommended to me by one of my students. I read it aloud with my daughter and we both liked it a lot. Jacque Papier's point of view is excellent, and the opening chapters as he realizes what he is are very funny. And although there is plenty to laugh at in every one of the very short 60 chapters, there is also a lot that is touching and thoughtful-almost philosophical! It was a beautiful story and at the conclusion I teared up.
Margaret Boling
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
11/24/2016 ** The least talked about book of 2015.
Favorite quotes:
p. 61-62 "Just because you're not 'real' doesn't mean you're not real." (said The Everything to Jacques.) Jacques responded: "I think it's like the earth and the moon," I explained. "The light of the moon is an illusion. It's actually just reflecting light from the sun, bouncing it back like a mirror. We're like that moon, and without the people who imagined us, it's all darkness."

p. 114 Merla explaining to Jacques the benefits
Kayla
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, funny, enlightening.

Dare I say that this middle grade novel was uniquely imaginative? Jacques Papier is an imaginary friend who does not realize he is imaginative. Once he does, he goes on a soul-searching adventure and discovers that just because he is imaginary, does not mean he can't feel real.

Every chapter in this novel is so witty and fun. The author created a work that both children and adults can truly appreciate. There's philosophical lessons--"I'm only as invisible as I
Nora S
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books that I've read recently because it was the kind of book that really makes you have a connection with the characters and is really easy to visualize. The story is told from the perspective of Jacques Papier, who is the imaginary friend/twin brother of a girl named Fleur. He does not realize that he is imaginary and always wonders why no one notices him. Even his parents forget to set a spot at the table for him! This book is perfect for anyone in 3rd grade and ...more
Jill Berry
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Clever and humorous, but I'm not sure children will get much of the humor, especially Imaginaries Anonymous, which has a chant at the beginning of each meeting. This is clearly a spoof on Alcoholics Anonymous, but will children understand that? There are other references that children will not get.
Challice Neipp
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I was beginning to think you would be in awe of anyone if you saw the parts of them that no one else gets to see. If you could watch them making up little songs, and doing funny faces in the mirror; if you saw them high-fiving a leaf on a tree, or stopping to watch a green inch-worm hanging midair from an invisible thread, or just being really different and lonely and crying sometimes at night. Seeing them, the real them, you couldn't help but think that anyone and everyone is amazing."

I
Ann
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was wonderful! I liked everything about it! It was very exciting and fun. It was a very creative and imaginative story. I really recommend this book to people who like fantasy/realistic fiction books. I think that the author wrote this story to make us realize something: Friends are always there to help you when you have hard times. This book was basically all about friends. I really think that this book is a very meaningful book that could make people who ignore others stop and change ...more
Heather
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We listened to this book on CD during our road trip. My daughters and I agreed it was one of the funniest stories we’ve listened to/read in awhile. I don’t know that I could have done this book justice reading it out loud to my kids, or in my head, as the actor who did the reading was phenomenal.

We give it an A+++!
Heather Moore
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lex-me-2019
I read this aloud with my 12 year old for our kids book club and expected it to be silly and cute but nothing to write home about. Instead, I was surprised in the very best way and we were confronted with a heartwarming tale of self-discovery and love. Highly recommend this as a book to share with your kiddos.
Shaunesay
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was delightful! Sweet and funny and poignant. Jacques grows from a character who doesn't know he is imaginary, to taking his responsiblity to his real children very seriously. There is a definite message of growth and becoming visible from being invisible. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Marianne Robin-Tani
Quite cute. Sometimes the writing is over the top but it has some good laughs. The concept of the imaginary friends organization is an interesting one. As someone who had quite a squad of imaginary friends back in the day, I liked getting a glimpse into their secret world.
Dita
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute story of an imaginary coming of age. Loved it. Funny and inspired.
Lina
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved it! Such a warm, funny and thoughtful story, that has a few (probably more than few) nice things to remind grown-ups too.
Jade Moore
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents, children, big kids, anyone who has ever had an imaginary friend!
Opening line:

“Yes, world, I am writing my memoir, and I have titled the first chapter simply this: EVERYONE HATES JACQUES PAPIER.”

First of all, this book is for younger readers, and could also be suitable for a parent to read to their child. The chapters are short, and the book is filled with illustrations throughout. It’s an easy-going, fun, entertaining and touching story.

I read it for two main reasons:

I love stories about Imaginary friends
I’m currently working on my Creative Writing
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Simply delightful; a read for children or adults. Or adults to children.

My View:
This small paperback novel is crammed full with sparkling humour, is vividly descriptive and has the most amazingly beautiful prose. It is written is an easy to read deceptively simplistic style that children will enjoy and the adults looking on or reading to them will notice their hearts swelling with the emotions and the deeper points the subtle messages in this book conjure up. It is simply divine! The characters
Panda Incognito
This is such a beautiful book. Go read it. It's clever, charming, fantastical, nostalgic, endearing, and like nothing you have ever read before.

Since there isn't much I can write about this book which will not spoil the story, here is a quote I loved. I actually first read this book because a good friend shared this quote on Facebook:

"To tell the truth, I was beginning to think you would be in awe of anyone if you saw the parts of them that no one else gets to see. If you could watch them making
Martha
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-6-fantasy
This is a perfect book to take your mind in new directions. The beginning is confusing because it is hard to tell which characters are real and which ones are imaginary. The fact that the nurturing father encourages his daughter Fleur to feel comfortable by providing the imaginary friend she's required, with his own bed, set of books, table setting, etc., keeps Fleur happy and contented. In time things get out of control and her imaginary friend Jacques Papier has to go to Imaginaries Anonymous ...more
Rhode
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. One of the Best Books I've ever read in my entire life.

I mean really, really good - from each turn of phrase to the characters to the plot to the illustrations. I don't know why no one writes adult books this good. (Sometimes, I think the magic leaches out of books as the author's perceived audience gets older and older.)

Anyhow it's interesting enough - and scary and beautiful and thought provoking and silly - to be an adult book. So, that's where I am going to shelve it in my library.

I
Genevieve C 3
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was surprisingly deep for 168 pages. It really was sad and heartfelt. The humor in it was really thought through and imaginative too. I recommend this to anyone who reads to little kids, because you'll get something out of it too.
Nafiza
4.5

So brilliant. All the feels. Review over at Cuddlebuggery sometime soon.
Beth
SWEETEST BOOK EVER!!!!! What a lovely book about an imaginary friend finding himself. It's so full of humor and wisdom. This is one of my most favorite books for kids!
Nicole
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5 stars - A sweet imaginative romp into the secret lives of imaginary friends with a deeper meaning of what it means to really be seen
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Olguța și un bunic de milioane
  • A Library of Lemons
  • Class Action
  • Gangsta Granny
  • The Honeymoon Sisters
  • Awful Auntie
  • The Worst Class Trip Ever (The Worst, #1)
  • Billionaire Boy
  • The Imaginary
  • Tom's Midnight Garden
  • Clementine (Clementine, #1)
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
Michelle Cuevas was born in 1982 in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. She graduated from Williams College and holds a master of fine arts in creative writing from the University of Virginia, where she received the Henry Hoyns Fellowship.

Michelle is the author of The Care and Feeding of a Pet Black Hole, Smoot: A Rebellious Shadowillustrated by Sydney Smith,national bestseller The Uncorker of Ocean
“The truth is...you're only as invisible as you feel, imaginary or not.” 7 likes
“Sometimes imaginary troubles are harder to bear than actual ones.” 6 likes