Start by marking “More Happy Than Not” as Want to Read:
More Happy Than Not

More Happy Than Not

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  26,321 ratings  ·  5,259 reviews
Part Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, part Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, Adam Silvera's extraordinary debut confronts race, class, and sexuality during one charged near-future summer in the Bronx.

Published June 2nd 2015 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about More Happy Than Not, please sign up.
Cat I would say yes, but I'm a firm believer that kids should be exposed to difficult and complex topics because that's life - encountering it first in…moreI would say yes, but I'm a firm believer that kids should be exposed to difficult and complex topics because that's life - encountering it first in fiction makes things less frightening when experienced first hand. It's a coming of age story, so there are sexual awakenings and characters figuring out who they are and what friendships/romantic relationships mean. On top of that there are themes of loss, grief, and depression.

In some ways it's a pretty heavy book, but it's also accessible for young readers - it would get the message across that not everyone has a squeaky clean life, and that's ok. Some 14 year olds will be more ready and receptive to this than others, but I'm always hesitant to say someone is too young because the topics are complex. People are gay, people are depressed, people swear, people have sex, sex is confusing, and puberty is the wooooooorst - kids know all this already, but if it's normalized early on then maybe it won't be so hard for them to talk about it as they're going through it.(less)

Adam Silvera
Dec 17, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
ADAM NOTE:

MORE HAPPY THAN NOT is my debut novel, and there was a time where I believed this book was never going to be seen by others after rejections and nonsense. But it's here! And it's about a boy who is considering a memory-alteration procedure to forget he's gay because leading a life as a straight teen would probably be way easier for him. It's about science versus nature, friendship, sexuality, and a quest for happiness. I hope every book I put out into the universe feels as special and
Kat O'Keeffe
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
WOW. Halfway through this book I thought I had it all figured out. I WAS VERY VERY WRONG IN A VERY VERY GOOD WAY. This book was touching and thoughtful and man oh man, does it pack an emotional punch. Awesome debut, definitely recommended, and I'm looking forward to reading more by Adam Silvera in the future!
Lola
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
POWERFUL. POIGNANT. INDISPENSABLE BOOK.

Oh, damn, what a rollercoaster of emotions this was. Havoc in my heart. I wish I could say that it made me smile or laugh or dream, but that would be lying to you and myself. It is very unlikely that you will turn the last page and sigh, hand on your heart and stars in your eyes. You will very likely be clutching at your heart, in fear that it will break. In hindsight, I realize that I had no idea what I was getting into. When I heard people qualifying thi
Emily May
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
“This is still an ugly world.”

I opened with that quote for a reason - while definitely entertaining, More Happy Than Not is a dark, sad book that deals with homophobia, depression and suicide. The quirky dialogue and nerdy references to comic books, Star Wars and action heroes are much needed to lighten up an otherwise very distressing novel.

Personally, I do not think the promised big twist is particularly hard to guess if you've read the description and (view spoiler)
Raeleen Lemay

Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
4.5/5 stars!
Thomas
Reading More Happy Than Not and witnessing the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage has made me a super emotional wreck this week, in the best way possible. This book may even tie Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe for my favorite YA book, and if anyone here has read my review of Saenz's story, you know that means high praise. So, without further ado, I give you:

Five Reasons Why More Happy Than Not has Renewed My Faith in YA Fiction:

1) This book is so freaking sad. Forget plots
Kai
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, glbt, underrated, owned

I've waited so so long (well, since this was released I guess) to read this. This was one of my most anticipated books of 2015 and it did not let me down.
Adam Silvera seems to be a cool guy. I like the way he interacts with social media, I think he's quite funny and so is his writing style. Maybe not his novel(because yeah it is kind of sad) but definitely his writing style.

This was a page-turner f
Becky Albertalli
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it. I'll avoid posting details for now, but suffice it to say that:
1. Aaron's voice is pitch-perfect, and it's impossible to read this book without falling in love with him.
2. It is full of surprises and twists and emotional highs and lows, to the point where putting the book down is almost physically painful.
3. It will break your heart in the best possible way.

Beautiful, beautiful book.
Pouting Always
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aaron Soto through out the course of the book struggles with his sexuality and then tries to turn to a new procedure that will help him forget he is gay. The premise was really original and unique, I haven't read anything like this. I didn't see the twist that came half way coming at all and I got very emotionally involved in the story. The ending made me so sad I couldn't stop thinking about it for days, and it really stuck with me. I like the questions the book raises about our identities and ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
DON'T MIND ME, JUST OVER HERE DROWNING IN MORE HAPPY THAN NOT FEELS.

(full video review to come!)
Brian Yahn
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Adam Silvera's writing immediately absorbed me into the life of Aaron Soto--a troubled youth anxious to lose his virginity. And making the obvious comparison of the Leteo Institute's memory procedure to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I was definitely intrigued to see where the story would go, especially since I was enjoying the prose so much. The realness of it swept me away like The Catcher in the Rye. There was something kind of immature about how giddy I was to read about this fictiti ...more
Maureen
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well EVERYONE WAS RIGHT ABOUT THIS BOOK BEING EMOTIONAL IT IS FINE I AM FINE.
I really REALLY liked this book and it is SO SO important and so great and just GAH.
It wasn't perfect, but the story was so compelling and the characters were so great and just EVERYTHING.
In the first half of the book it seems like things are happening really fast and the character development, especially in relationships, feels a little rushed, but then the middle of the book hits and EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE. The last h
Julio Genao
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: c*****
Recommended to Julio by: Becky Albertalli
Shelves: loved
you won't admit you love me.

description

this will not be a useful review of this book, and i'm sorry.

i just... never did figure out how to sort out my feelings another way.

__________

i need a minute
need a minute and a minute and a minute more
heart pounds and my throat's so tight
memories aren't my friends tonight

__________

falling in love for the first time was like sliding down a bannister.

maybe you know what i mean.

a bannister like the ones you see in a public school. long, and in the middle of the stairs,
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This book was just really sad, at least to me.

All of the things Aaron went through is just too much. No one should ever have to go through that kind of stuff.

And the Leteo Institute, I have no words.

Whitney Atkinson

I have mixed feelings. The downfall is that I really really really wanted to like this book, but I'm just not a huge fan of books that require the suspension of disbelief, mostly in books like this contemporary/sci-fi hybrid. The whole sci-fi aspect was really thought-provoking, but I don't think it was developed well enough to be impactful as an element in the story. So even though the majority of the book is rooted in reality, there was just enough of that weird twist to make it feel
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
2.5*
This book just wasn't really my cup of tea. I don't think it was bad, I think the writing was good, the message was good, and everything else was good, but it's just not really my kind of book unfortunately.
Bangadybangz
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one, because a) I read it in the Caribbean, and b) its a very engaging story with likable (and despicable) characters and a genuinely shocking twist. Definitely recommend, especially if you're looking for good LGBTQ oriented books
Lauren
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A few days ago my good friend, and talented author, Adam Silvera posted this piece on his blog: Happiness Isn’t Just an Outside Thing. The blog post talks mainly about depression, which Adam has grappled with for some time now, and is a beautiful meditation on the failure of external validation to satisfy the holes that truly need filling. I’m so proud of him for sharing his hard journey with all his readers with the same incisive honesty that makes him such a fantastic writer.

On that note, a fe
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

"It's okay how some stories leave off without an ending. Life doesn't always deliver the one you would expect."

Holy book slump, Batman! I was on a tear through 2 and 3 Star books when More Happy Than Not finally queued up at the library. Then Larry told me I had to love it or we could no longer be friends, but I had to go watch my kids lose 427 baseball games first so I left the book on the table . . .

Houston commercial photography

When I finally returned (my al
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Oh, boy. I won't.

More Happy Than Not didn't turn out to be what I expected, and let me tell you, it was so much better than I thought it would be. Messed-up when you think about it, this containing one of my biggest pet peeve make it plural : several of my biggest pet peeves - nah, I won't tell which ones, I can be annoying like that. But let's start at the beginning, shall we?

There are books that make you feel like a voyeur, as the characters seem so real that you get the impression to spy on
jessica
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
who hurt you, adam silvera????!?!?

i seem to have found myself unintentionally reading silveras bibliography in reverse chronological order and his books just kept getting sadder and sadder. but there is something in that sadness he creates. something living. something real. its something that makes you realise that heartbreak is good because it means youre alive. and you begin to learn that positives can come from the negatives, that pain doesnt have to be the end. you grow and understand and be
Elyse Walters
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook:
Other than......some of the characters had strange names: Me Crazy, Baby Freddie, Skinny Dave, Fat Dave, and our main character, Aaron gets the nickname of Stretch....
Plus......
there are a lot of nutty games being played: "Manhunt 1 2 3, Manhunt 1 2 3, Manhunt 1 2 3", ...a shark game, 'don't touch green' game, ... plus handball, bikes, rollerblades, fights and fireworks, and tons of swearing....
Add.....
booze, pot, birthdays, horoscope conversation, come childish dialogue, a crappy dig
Kenchiin
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I need a hug.
Jessica
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Read this in under 24 hours and it blew me away. Definitely surprised me, and I loved how raw and real this felt. Amazing, memorable characters... I really don't even know what to say. I really enjoyed this and would love to read more by this author in the future!
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it

Hi, so this is gonna be a mess because that’s what happens when you put off writing reviews for over two months but please bear with me. More Happy Than Not follows 16-year-old Aaron attempting to fit himself back into his life with his friends, family and girlfriend after attempting to commit suicide.

I want to start off this review by saying I love Adam Silvera with all my heart and he is the king of “almost contemporary but not exactly contemporary.” Everything he writes is impossib
Anastasia
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5/5 stars

Trigger Warning: self harm and depression

Sixteen-year-old Aaron Soto is struggling to find happiness after a family tragedy leaves him reeling. He's slowly remembering what happiness might feel like this summer with the support of his girlfriend Genevieve, but it's his new best friend, Thomas, who really gets Aaron to open up about his past and confront his future. As Thomas and Aaron get closer, Aaron discovers things about himself that threaten to shatter his newfound contentme
Claudia Ramírez
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, made-me-cry
I don't know what to think about this book. I just know it broke me. And that it is definitely NOT more happy than not. It is more like "More depressing than not". Ugh, I ended up so distraught :(.

I kind of liked it, but I could never really connect with the characters, although I really liked a bunch of them (Aaron, Gen, Aaron's mom, Eric, Evangeline and Thomas, specially Thomas). I didn't care about them as much as I feel I should, and I was surprised when I started crying towards the end! So
Theresa
UPDATE: I had originally given "More Happy Than Not" by Adam Silvera 4 stars but compared to all the various YA novels I've read in the last year, I'm going to go ahead and bump my rating to 5 stars. This novel is so unique. I can't get it out of my head. Heartbreaking to the max! Ugh.

Original review below:

Whew! This book was intense! I liked it but I didn't love it. I thought some of the dialogue seemed forced, and the first 150 pages were too draggy. I'm still giving it 4 stars because the pl
Warda
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5 ⭐] I'm conflicted as to how I feel about this book. On one hand, it was extremely depressing to read about the general struggles the main character faced whilst also coming to terms with his sexuality and to see how disgusting homophobia is. I think Silvera did a great job in delving into the aspect of how difficult it can be to come out and the possible, unfortunate consequences that come alongside it.

On the other hand, it took a good while for me to get into this book and figure out the
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • What We Left Behind
  • Anything Could Happen
  • The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley
  • Wonders of the Invisible World
  • Willful Machines
  • Stick
  • None of the Above
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Skyscraping
  • The Porcupine of Truth
  • Lizard Radio
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)
  • You and Me and Him
  • Alex As Well
  • Look Both Ways
  • All American Boys
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
Adam Silvera is the New York Times bestselling author of More Happy Than Not, History Is All You Left Me, and They Both Die at the End. His next book What If It's Us is co-written by Becky Albertalli (Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda) and releases on October 9th, 2018.
He writes full-time in New York City and is tall for no reason.
“Memories: some can be sucker punching, others carry you forward; some stay with you forever, others you forget on your own. You can't really know which ones you'll survive if you don't stay on the battlefield, bad times shooting at you like bullets. But if you're lucky, you'll have plenty of good times to shield you.” 233 likes
“The boy with no direction taught me something unforgettable: happiness comes again if you let it.” 215 likes