Start by marking “La bruja Lois” as Want to Read:
La bruja Lois

La bruja Lois

La bruja Lois se desarrolla en el ambiente puritano de la Nueva Inglaterra de finales del siglo XVII. Lois, una huérfana inglesa, se ve obligada a embarcar con destino al Nuevo Mundo. Allí tiene que enfrentarse a una sociedad dominada por el fanatismo religioso de los peregrinos ingleses, que se habían instalado en la bahía de Massachusetts con el fin de establecer un ...more
Published 1996 by Valdemar (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about La bruja Lois, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La bruja Lois

Start your review of La bruja Lois
Ria
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4stars
‘’Satan is abroad--is close to us.’’
gif

Salem witch trials: *clears throat* Men are trash.
Thank you for coming to my ted talk. (An overwhelming majority of people accused and convicted of witchcraft were women (about 78%).)

I like reading about Salem. It’s so interesting and also extremely frustrating. Extremely religious people are dangerous #facts.
‘’Puritans held the belief that men and women were equal in the eyes of God, but not in the eyes of the Devil. Women's souls were seen as unprotected
Mikel
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was beautiful. What a heart touching short story by Mrs. Gaskell. It portrayed the Salem witch trials as they would have been viewed by countries other than America. Well worth your time to read. Lovely and harrowing.
Verity
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Well written short story that is among the best of Gaskell's work, in my humble opinion. Set amongst the American witch trials of the 1600s, the work fills you with frenzy as the momentum of accusations against Lois increase and leaving you powerless to stop them. The only sense of relief comes with the shared anger and pain with the fiancee.
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics-read
This book sucks you in. It is so sad. It is super short and a quick read. Gaskell really captured the feelings of Salem and the whisperings of strange things and witchcraft. What a time to be alive!
Elena
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audiobooks
A short but poignant story. I truly felt for Lois and the hysteria of Salem was very well portrayed. Some parts were heartwrenching and hard to read. Recommended if you are interested in the Salem witch trials.
Linda Collings
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this very interesting.If you have an interest in the Salam witch trials this is an interesting book to read.
Sharon
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween-reads
This book was suggested to me by a friend after I said I wanted to read more books set in Salem.

1691, Lois Barclay goes to New England after her parents die in Old England. She moves in with her mother's estranged brother and his family. Over the coming months, after some tragedies in the town, Lois along with others are accused of witchcraft.

"The Sin of Witchcraft - We read about it, we look on it from the outside, but we can hardly realise the terror it induced. Every impulsive or
Michael
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will finish this book this evening but I know enough about it to write a review worthy of it. "Lois the Witch" is about a young English girl who comes to the American colonies to live with her Uncle and his family after her parents in England have passed away from sickness. Lois is greeted coolly by her relatives who are ardent Puritans who look down negatively upon Lois's Anglican background. In fact, it is their welcome that gives new meaning to the word, "stuffy". They are as rigid as a ...more
3.5*s
The first of my finished Victober reads. This one was not perfect but I can see the potential in her writing. I'm very excited to get to some of her other works which I have for this month.
I really enjoyed the strong 'otherness' aspect she gave to the Americas in this and the fear, and vulnerability she showed a young woman (especially one alone in the world) had at this time. It is definitely sensationalized to fuel the story but it was tense and tragic.
lauren
This was the most entertaining short story I think I've ever read?

I love Gaskell. I love witches. I love reading about witch hunts (although they make me angry and sad simultaneously). I love the Salem witch trials. So I think this was a pretty decent read, to be fair.

Deborah
What a surprise! I was expecting a spooky story of the Salem Witch Trials, but we get a psychological examination of human cruelty and oppression. Gaskell doesn't rely on the supernatural. She instead presents the reader with human explanations for the witch trials. Jealousy, desire, silence, fear, hatred, repression. This was a truly great read.

Read for Victober 2018
Grace Harwood
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just 95 pages long, this is a small, perfectly-formed story of poor Lois, who, when her parents die, leaving her an orphan in Warwickshire, is taken to New England for a new life with her Uncle and his hideous puritan family. However, unfortunately for Lois, she's traveling to Salem just at the wrong time (around 1692-ish), and she soon finds herself alone and unfriended, with her bed-ridden Uncle, her mad cousin (who keeps insisting that she is "foredoomed" to marry him), two spiteful female ...more
Rod
Oct 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid, chilling story recounting one young girl's experience of being swallowed up in the suspicion and hysteria of the Salem Witch trials. Written by a Unitarian, wife of a Unitarian minister, which probably doesn't mean a lot to most people but I find interesting :-)
Michelle
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really quite sad, yet an interesting look at the mania prevalent at those times (Salem) and why it even existed. A surprisingly dark book as Abby stated, but still well written and a lot of depth for a "novelette."
Janna
Jul 16, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Very intersting book! It is about a girl in the salem witch trails.
Andrea
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always fascinated by books that tell about the Salem witch hysteria. If someone didn't like you, they could scream witch and before you knew it, you were on trial, or hanging from the gallows.
Laurence
This short tragic story of a young British girl confronted to the Salem hysteria is a good way to learn about the famous witches trial in 1692.
Courtney
A short book about one of my favorite topics...Salem Witch Trials!
Emma
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting insight- a 'historical' novel written during the Victorian era.
Abby
May 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a short little story--a little dark, but very good. I love how Gaskell writes so that you feel what the character is feeling.
Kirstie
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
It's a lot like the Crucible by Author Miller and somewhat reminiscent of the Scarlet Letter by Nathanial Hawthorne. A good little short-story but sad like all stories dealing with witch trials.
Marnie
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story for a Salem witch trial book but you feel for poor Lois very quickly. I felt bad for Lois, sent to live with relatives in America at the wrong time in history.
The Usual
I don't think I like Mrs Gaskell very much.

Sorry, that's unfair, I have no acquaintance with the lady and, short of mucking about with a Ouija board, am most unlikely to. I'm sure she was lovely. Let me start again.

On the basis of this volume of stories, I don't think I like Mrs Gaskell's writing very much. It's not a throw-it-against-the-wall how-did-this-ever-get-published only-reading-it-out-of-horrified-fascination distaste, because if that were the case I'd either be whinging bitterly or
Moore
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I’ve never read any Gaskell- so this was an education- rather soft and sad, these stories have quite simple storylines, but all with a devastating conclusion- something that you might hope yet to be resolved, never is...with a sort of determined fatalism. People who might in themselves be good, who are drawn as kind, as affectionate - encounter adversaries, the elements, fortune, ill-temper. They don’t do well.

The elegance is in the detail, the description of people, interiors, inns and farms,
Mary Havens
I don't know what I expect every time I read a witch trial era book. I guess I expect for everyone to wise up and realize the mob mentality that they are enslaving themselves to. For the "witches" to reverse the roles and burn all those idiots down with a flamethrower of justice. I'm sure that's some awesome fic out there but I haven't found it (and it sounds like it might be an awful read). But I digress.
I really liked how Gaskell, while writing about the fictitious Lois Barclay (I think she
Novelle Novels
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 out of 5 stars
This is my first Elizabeth Gaskell book and I really enjoyed it. Lois the witch is one of her short stories and a lovely way to easy into the authors way. We start off with Lois being a girl who has lost her father and now has her mother being on her death bed. When her mother informs her that as there is no one else in England that is related to her, she has sent a letter to her only relative who is currently living in America. Being sent on a ship to America Lois meets her
Ashley
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This felt more like a treatment of the psychology behind the Salem Witch Trials than a fully formed novella, but still an intriguing and interesting read. The characters are definitely meant to represent types and are not fully formed or developed, but Gaskell provides an insightful look into the internal motivations and paranoias surrounding the trials.

Gaskell’s narrator speaks directly to her contemporary audience at several points in the novella, which can lead to a feeling that the narrator
Lorraine
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
This is a riveting novella. The intro by Jenny Uglow is illuminating as well.

It follows Lois Barclay who finds herself thrust into the Salem home of distant relatives she's never met after the death of her parents. She gets swept up into the witch trials to devastating results.

What is absolutely fascinating to me is the way that Gaskell makes clear that people genuinely believed in witches and were deeply afraid of them but that that legitimate (at the time) fear coexisted with jealousy, anger,
A Bear and a Bee Books
A perfect read for this time of year. Being originally from Massachusetts myself, this subject fascinates me and though I am filled with a deep sadness for the hatred of men, I am filled with hope for the forgiveness of the condemned. It is important today that we remember what hatred and violence can lead to. A better understanding of others can lead to peace and prosperity.
Katia M. Davis
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow to start, but one of the best renderings of the hysteria that gripped Salem during the witch trials I have read. Gaskell does an excellent job of weaving in the motivations and manipulations of the accusers and bringing it all to a head. If you don't mind the older narrative style, it's well worth the read.
« previous 1 3 next »
Combine editions 1 1 Aug 09, 2016 11:11AM

• Imprisoned with the Pharaohs
  • Lost in a Pyramid or the Mummy's Curse
  • Dress of White Silk
  • Conversacion Con Una Momia (Spanish Edition)
  • The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)
  • El bestiario de Axlin
  • 西の魔女が死んだ [Nishi no majo ga shinda]
  • The Bishop of Hell and Other Stories
  • La vita bugiarda degli adulti
  • Aprendiz de Asesino (Farseer, #1.1)
  • Petrademone: Il libro delle porte
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
  • The Silver Key
  • Lumberjanes: To the Max Edition, Vol. 1
  • The Lifted Veil
  • A House to Let
  • Accabadora
Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, née Stevenson (29 September 1810 – 12 November 1865), often referred to simply as Mrs. Gaskell, was an English novelist and short story writer during the Victorian era. She is perhaps best known for her biography of Charlotte Brontë. Her novels offer a detailed portrait of the lives of many strata of society, including the very poor, and as such are of interest to ...more