Start by marking “Where the Wild Things Are” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  748,812 ratings  ·  11,135 reviews
Where the Wild Things Are is fifty years old! Let the wild rumpus with Max and all the wild things continue as this classic comes to life as never before with new reproductions of Maurice Sendak's artwork. Astonishing state-of-the-art technology faithfully captures the color and detail of the original illustrations. Sendak himself enthusiastically endorsed this impressive new ...more
Hardcover, 50th Anniversary Edition, 40 pages
Published December 26th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published April 19th 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Where the Wild Things Are, please sign up.
Beck You cannot read books on this site just rate and review them.

·  748,812 ratings  ·  11,135 reviews

Start your review of Where the Wild Things Are
Nathan
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Delusional miscreants.
Shelves: fiction
I have no doubt that this book damaged me, psychologically, as a small child. It is one of the earliest books I vividly remember reading aloud to myself, and I remember the first time my mother read it to me before she put me to bed. Here's the gist of the plot: A little boy named Max dresses up in a wolf costume, plays with a hammer, chases his dog with a fork, then threatens to cannibalize his mother. His mother, a master of irony, then puts him to bed with no dinner. Already, this story shoul ...more
fleegan
Aug 16, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uttercrap
This book is crap, and let me tell you why. The kid is a jerk and is sent to his room without supper. He proceeds to go to some magical place where these monsters live and he bosses them around and is mean to them. Then he gets back home...having not learned that being a mean jerk is wrong...and there on his table in his room is dinner...and it's still warm. What's the lesson here exactly?
Hate the book.
Angie
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, 2009
"Mom. Mom. Mo-om. Mom. MOM!"

My mom whips around. "WHAT??!"

"CanIgetabook?"

"What?"

"Can... I... get... a... book...?"

"How much is it?"

"$8.50."

"What is it?"

I brandish a copy of Where The Wild Things Are from behind my back.

"Don't you already have that?"

"Nuh-uh."

"Aren't you a little... old for a book like that?"

I pout. "But Mo-om..."

"Okay," she sighs. "
jessica
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘‘and now,’ max cried, ‘let the wild rumpus start!’’

i babysat the other night and, i swear, i read this book at least 30 times within a 4 hour time span (kids, eh?). i never read this story as a child and i cant help but feel like i missed out on something special.

but luckily, this is one of those timeless classics that still has something for everyone, no matter the age.

this story is for everyone who yearns for wild adventure, for the lovers and attendees of every wild rumpus,
Mark Lawrence
My copy of this book is nearly fifty years old. It was read to me when I was tiny and I read it to my children when they were small.

When we lived in the States I discovered the play figures in a bargain bin in a toy store and bought them for my kids too. This guy was always my favourite!

He looks as if he's up to no good.

There are several key elements to the book's power.

1. The artwork is special.

2. It shows, graphically the power of imagination.

That very night in Max's room a forest grew
and grew until his ceiling hung with vines
and the walls became the woimagination.
That
Michael Finocchiaro
I have read the story of Max about 1,000,000 times and my kids love it too. The illustrations are magical and the text is beyond wonderful. It is one of the most fun and rewarding books for a parent to read to a kid (lots of fun making dancing sounds and monster sounds!) and features joyful plot. A must!
James
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this so much, I begged to star in it in an elementary school play. I won the lead role but had to share it with another classmate as we were doing 8 performances and couldn't be out of classes for rehearsals that often! I got to be rowdy... even though I was the quietest child possible. And who doesn't love to act like an animal, parade through the jungle and revisit their roots! But what do we love even more... our family and those who love us. Sometimes we can be too much and need to d ...more
Mischenko
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Please visit our blog www.twogalsandabook.com for this review and others!

I can still remember reading this for the first time in my grade school library. The pictures and illustrations can be a little scary at times, but they still remain incredible to me. I love children's books that are adventurous and take you places. This is one of them.

5*****
Manybooks
It is often difficult to review a book that was and still is one of my favorite all-time picture books. I adore everything about Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are, from the brilliant text to the expressive accompanying illustrations. And I also with all my heart appreciate the message the author promotes here, a message of unconditional love, a message that even if one misbehaves, there will be supper waiting on the table (Max does get sent to his room, but no matter how much he has misbeha ...more
Alex
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I didn't realize this was The Odyssey for so long. It seems so obvious now! It's the Cyclops part. Polyphemus.

wild_things
odyssey

Which makes Max's mom a stand-in for Penelope, keeping his dinner hot for him as he sails "in and out of weeks and almost over a year," and that's a lit
Jason Koivu
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like a gremlin crouched in the back of a dim cave, Where the Wild Things Are lay on my cousin's bedroom floor. My cousin was in kindergarden and I was being babysat by my aunt, busy in the kitchen downstairs - might as well have been miles away. The bedroom shades were drawn, the house quiet, the room empty. That book with its-its things in it called to me. I'd never seen anything like it. My books had colorful, happy animals that didn't make me feel this way....what was this feeling? Was this what ...more
Kirk
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Satanists and Hippies
Recommended to Kirk by: An evil librarian who used to ply us with candy bars to make us read
Where the Wild Things Are

What's the moral of this story? Some might say Sendack's work is a testament to the unbridled powers of a child's imagination. Others would posit that the true virtue of Where the Wild Things Are stems from the reversal of a timeless power dynamic in which monsters frighten children. In Sendack's carefully rendered world, monsters submit to the whims of children, which appears to suit Max well enough. I assume it works well for other children as well. If you can't convince
G
The classic. I would take this on a desert island. So much to explore and interpret in the words and the pictures. I'm afraid my girls don't like the book as much as I do. But sooner or later, they'll come around.

I see quite a few people complaining about Max being a little shit and not learning a lesson in "Where the Wild Things Are." Well, guess what, a lot of kids are little shits. And I believe Max did learn a few things on his journey. Sometimes it's not so good to be the king.
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
3.5 Stars

Small fry was utterly enchanted, and I think we both loved Max’s unbridled excitement. The whole story reads like a love-letter to childish imagination.

But Max was also a mean little snoot who threatened to eat his mother and was a little tyrant to the Wild Things... jussaying

Kid Lit Experiment 2018 #7
Apokripos
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kidz at ♥!
Recommended to Apokripos by: Saw the movie
Through a Child’s Eye
(A Book Review of Maurice Sendak’s Where The Wild Things Are)

I’m glad that I recently scored a vintage 1963 edition (pictures here) of Maurice Sendak’s Where the Wild Things Are in Booksale during one of the mini Meet Ups with my Goodreads-The Filipino Group friends. I breeze through the book in a matter of minutes while waiting for them, and right there and then something just hit me. Without a doubt, it certainly earns its place as
Meg
Jun 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE (yes, even you adults)
Recommended to Meg by: my mommy... who read it every night
Another 5 star! Man, I'm getting generous. You guys just keep bringing up stories that KICK TRASH! This is the greatest children's book in the history of time as far as I'm concerned. And I'll tell you something WICKED AWESOME about it that I figured out when I researched it for a play adaptation I wrote. **GET OUT THE COPY OF YOUR CHILDREN'S BOOK RIGHT NOW**... Flip through the pages, and notice that on the first page the artwork is a small rectangle... then it grows larger and larger on every ...more
SheReadsALot
So not my normal choice of read. But it was a me and little one book, where I read and he listens or pretends to...hopefully we can nail down the 'pretend to listen' game with the kid. (But not with me, because I'm the favorite aunt--duh.)

Anyway, the story was...meh to me. I remember when I was younger and saw this book. I bypassed it then. Apparently, I was onto something because I totally would bypass it now, especially after reading.

I couldn't stand Max. Why would the awesome bea
Brad
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, faves
Of all the books I read my kids, and there are many, this is my favourite to perform.

It is so easy to turn Where the Wild Things Are into a a big, rollicking tickle fest, and I am never able to resist the urge. When those Wild Things show up with their "terrible roars" and "terrible eyes" and "terrible claws," I attack my kids with everything I've got until they are reduced to quivering masses of giggled out jelly.

And Max, the King of the Wild Things, is one of the coolest k
Hayat
My kids weren't so keen on this beloved children's story but I loved the illustrations, although, the story was a little bit disturbing if you pay close attention to what the little boy is doing or threatening to do. Hmmm?
Otis Chandler
I didn't want to add any children's books - but this one was just too cool...

Update: Saw the movie - the book was much better!
Reading Tam Ishly
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just cannot believe what I just read!
Totally amazed me with the unusual illustrations!
I haven't read a children's book with such kind of illustration depicting the wild imagination of a kid with such innocence.
It is just suitable for very young kids.
Less words.
More pictures.
The sequential art is the highlight of this one.
But...
I just felt it was too short. Just too short!
I need more.
Cyndi
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son's favorite book! Now it looks like it’s Mr. H’s favorite book, too. Excuse me, I’m being summoned for the tenth rereading...in a row. 😘
K.D. Absolutely
Jul 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books
Shelves: 501, borrowed, childrens
What kind of mother will send his child to bed without dinner?

Statistics say the many Filipinos go to bed with empty stomach. They just sleep so that they'll forget that they are hungry. Living in a Pacific island when I was a young boy, our family was poor too. However, my mother made sure that we ate something before going to bed. If my parents were hard up on cash because there were four of us young kids in the family and their only source of income were the coconut trees, there w
✨The Reading
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My son and I love this book! So much so that our poor little copy is falling apart and we need a new one.
Kathryn
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Where the Wild Things Are" is one of the books I remember vividly from my childhood. While I'm not sure I would call it a "favorite" (it didn't completely resonate with me as some books did, nor was it a "cozy" sort of story that I loved reading over and over), there was something utterly fascinating about it... I found the Wild Things so intriguing, I at once admired and felt ashamed of Max's behavior, I felt bad that he had to leave the Wild Things but yet happy that he went home, that his mo ...more
James
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘Where the Wild Things Are’ is a very simple but very effectively told story of a journey through the imagination of a child’s mind. There are very few lines of narrative here as very few are needed – it is the wonderful illustrations (by author/illustrator Maurice Sendak) which have secured the books deserved reputation as a true classic.

I hadn’t realised until very recently that ‘Where the Wild Things Are’ was written more than 50 years ago and it’s a testament to the book that it
Ronyell
“Where the Wild Things Are” is Maurice Sendak’s most popular children’s book and has won the Caldecott Medal for being the most distinguished picture book of the year. Many libraries across the country have dedicated themselves to this book because of its imaginative creatures and illustrations. This book deserves the title “best children’s book” that it gained over the years.

Maurice Sendak beautifully illustrates this book with pastel colors and occasional pencil scratching for the wild things’ hair. The il
Fran
This is the story of Max’s adventures when he sails away to the land where the Wild Things are. Written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak, this children’s picture book has become an acknowledged classic. A winner of the Caldecott Medal for the Most Distinguished Picture Book of the Year in 1964, Where the Wild Things Are is a timeless masterpiece that can be enjoyed equally by children and grown-ups. I love it, and needless to say I stopped being a child long, long ago.

Where the Wild
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 WILD ★'s

I love Where the Wild Things Are :) I can still remember the first time being introduced to this book back in grade school. It instantly became an all-time favorite of mine and still is to this very day! I love Max's character lol he's a bit of a BRAT! The illustrations are utterly fantastic and so so beautiful with a creepiness to them. I love being able to share my favorite books with my little niece's :) It is truly a childhood classic for a reason.

*Plus the movie is brilliant!!! It was s
ELIT 630: Controversial picture books 5 7 Jun 04, 2018 07:24PM
Controversial - Gutierrez 1 5 Jun 03, 2018 10:21AM
The Ink to Film B...: Where the Wild Things Are 1 7 Feb 22, 2018 02:05PM

• The Giving Tree
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  • The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
  • Miss Nelson Is Missing!
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Corduroy
  • Strega Nona (Strega Nona, #1)
  • The Mitten
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Goodnight Moon
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Lorax
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends
Maurice Bernard Sendak was an American writer and illustrator of children's literature who is best known for his book Where the Wild Things Are, published in 1963. An elementary school (from kindergarten to grade five) in North Hollywood, California is named in his honor.

Sendak was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, and decided to become an illustrator after vi
“Let the wild rumpus start!” 1475 likes