Start by marking “Necessary Decisions, A Gino Cataldi Mystery” as Want to Read:
Necessary Decisions, A Gino Cataldi Mystery

Necessary Decisions, A Gino Cataldi Mystery

Gino Cataldi is a man hanging on by a thread. Cancer took his wife, and drugs put his son in rehab. All he has left is his badge.

When a teenage girl is kidnapped it brings back nightmares from the worst case he ever worked—the one that tore his life to shreds and forced him out of Philadelphia.

Gino doesn't want this case but he knows he has to take it. Not just to save th
Published December 16th 2013 by Inferno Publishing Company (first published December 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Necessary Decisions, A Gino Cataldi Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Necessary Decisions, A Gino Cataldi Mystery

Katy
Dec 20, 2013 Katy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller/suspense fans
Recommended to Katy by: Giacomo
Shelves: ebook
Book Info: Genre: Suspense/Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of suspense/thriller/mysteries with a noir feel
Trigger Warnings: kidnapping, sexual assault, threat of rape, violence, drug use, mention of girl being raped in the past, murder

My Thoughts: This is actually the second book in a new series, but due to some issues that needed to be ironed out, the first book, Old Wounds, will not be released until next year. The books do not need to be read in order, so it all works out.

Th
Sandi
Mar 01, 2014 Sandi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Necessary Decisions; A Gino Cataldi Mystery
By Giacomo Giammatteo

4 7/8 out of 5 stars

You know what I hated most about this book? The one tiny, little thing that kept it from being a full-on 5-star? The introduction!

Seriously, DO NOT tell me that it “starts out a little slow.” DO NOT tell me that the first book in the series got sidelined because you “didn't like the way it played out.” NEVER tell me that shit. It's like Tom Cruise or Dustin Hoffman apologizing for being short! Who gives a damn? A
Patricia Reding
Necessary Decisions, by Giacomo Giammatteo, is part of the Redemption Series, featuring Detective Gino Cataldi. The story opens with a robbery at a friendly poker game at which masked bandits, identifying one another only by number, rob the attendees of their money and jewelry. Included in their take is a watch Detective Cataldi wore, a watch given him by his wife in her dying days. Cataldi vows to find the culprits.

Necessary Decisions is a fast paced mystery that, while included within the Red
Peg
Apr 11, 2015 Peg rated it it was amazing
Necessary Decisions is the first book in Giacomo Giammatteo’s exciting Gino Cataldi Mystery Series. This riveting story takes place in Houston, Texas, where several break-ins and a kidnapping case have the Houston Police Department scrambling to bring the responsible criminals and their mastermind leader to justice.

Detective Gino Cataldi cringed at the thought of having to investigate another kidnapping case. The last one he was involved with still weighed heavily on his heart. The department ha
C.N.
Dec 22, 2013 C.N. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Giacomo Giammatteo has an amazing ability to construct characters that are not perfect people and fill them with the breath of life. As before, in his other works, he has excelled again. Yes, various people did bad things, but these were human things. The finger on the pulse of absolute reality is there.

Gino, a detective suffering from the trauma of less than perfect completions of other cases of a similar nature is now charged with the rescue of a kidnapped girl. One of my favourite characters
Bobbie Grob
Dec 31, 2013 Bobbie Grob rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for Readers' Favorites

Necessary Decisions, A Gino Cataldi Mystery is a suspenseful page-turner that combines a kidnapping, a crime spree, a hard-working, middle class family, and the personal stories of several characters into one explosive story that is not easy to put down.

Lonny Hackett finds himself out of employment after a lifetime of hard work, and he makes one bad decision that lands him in the middle of a crime ring and ultimately a kidnapping that hits too close to home. Gino
Rita Sheppard
Jul 08, 2016 Rita Sheppard rated it it was amazing
A deadly gang of criminals known as Boss, Driver, Number One, Number Two, Number Three, Number Four, and Number Five are on the loose. Robberies at poker games become home invasions then escalate to kidnapping and murder as the criminal ring gets more daring and wants more money.

The suspense continues as Detectives Gino Cataldi and Hector “Ribs” Delgado work on the kidnapping case of a teenage girl. The two work as a team with their fellow detectives in the race to find the girl before harm com
elaine m. suda
Aug 11, 2016 elaine m. suda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decisions Made

I really enjoyed reading your story about Gino Cataldi and the robberies that ended in murder. I found your book to be fast reading and kept me glued to my Kindle right to the end. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Judie
Mar 14, 2014 Judie rated it really liked it
With so many reviewers ahead of me, it's impossible to find new and innovative ways to say I loved this book, from the mystery, to the characters, to the ending. Looking forward to more books by Mr. Giammatteo.
João
Oct 17, 2016 João rated it really liked it
Muito bom. Excelente divertimento.
T. Certain
Oct 06, 2016 T. Certain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

This is my 2nd Gino Cataldi mystery and I'm hooked on this author. Very well edited and a pleasure to read. Every book is written to standalone, which means no cliffhangers. Definitely a fan.
Tony Parsons
Jun 27, 2016 Tony Parsons rated it it was amazing
Houston, TX. Lonny Hackett (husband/dad, bricklayer, construction worker) was doing odd jobs to help support his other 3 family members: Lucia Hackett (Lonny’s wife/mother), Jada Hackett (17, Lonny/Lucia’s daughter, student), & Morris “Mars” Hackett (Lonny/Lucia’s son).
Alexa (Scott’s daughter, student) is Jada’s BFF.
In a roundabout way Lonny got a job working for “Boss” or “Dispatcher.”
Lonny & 5-man rotation team were to make pick-up delivery’s at: Starbucks, Denny’s, McD’s, or the don
latybug
Jun 12, 2014 latybug rated it it was amazing
I received a free download of this book in exchange for an honest review. (Thank you very much!)
I really enjoyed this book! I totally got sucked into "just one more chapter" mode, and ended up reading into the early morning hours until I had finished the whole thing. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, there would be a little twist at the end of a chapter that would blow my whole theory out of the water and I would have to keep reading. I did get the identity of Number Two figured
Susan Swiderski
Aug 13, 2016 Susan Swiderski rated it really liked it
This is a thoroughly enjoyable mystery, one in which the bad guys are unusually clever, and have an uncanny talent for staying at least one step ahead of the detectives who are trying to catch them. The thieves, who only refer to each other by number, and have never seen each other's faces, make their first marks by robbing the players at several big poker games, and then they escalate to home invasions. Then they really raise the stakes: they kidnap a teenage girl, and are demanding a seven-mil ...more
Mary
Sep 03, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Another winner by Mr. Giammatteo. Once again he drew me in to the lives of his characters until I was literally sick to my stomach with worry over what would happen - to some fictional people. The portraits painted here are of very real, believable folk. I kept forgetting this was just a story.

The plot twisted nicely, with many surprises, but none that didn't ring true. About halfway through the book I figured out who "Number Two" was, but never caught on to the 'truth' behind the story's kidnap
Huma
Jun 29, 2016 Huma rated it it was amazing
D.
Jun 10, 2016 D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'm not usually into Cops and Robbers, and I'm definitely no expert in them, but I know when I have thoroughly enjoyed reading a book and this one falls well into that category. It's fast and well written, no time for boredom in any of it's pages. Even though I knew who the culprit was by the last so many Chapters, I was still delighted with the ending.
Thank you to Story Cartel for their free download File for Review
Heather Langston
Jul 27, 2014 Heather Langston rated it it was ok
This was okay...a little too much profanity for my taste (though guess not any more than what one would hear in a police type movie). But if profanity doesn't bother you and you enjoy these types of books, I believe you will highly enjoy this read. The plot was pretty good. I did highly enjoy Lonnie and Lucia's characters. It wasn't overly predictable either, had it wrong a couple of times.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Stefano
Feb 02, 2014 Stefano rated it it was amazing
This new character by Giacomo Giammatteo is really a hit! I liked the prose and the plot a couple of times the twist and turns really surprised me.
I also liked the stilistic choice to use the third person for the evil guys chapters and the first person for the good guys ones, I think it makes you identify in with them.
Naomi
Sep 02, 2016 Naomi rated it really liked it
Another winner from Jim G. This one did take a bit longer to "take off" than other books I have read of his, yet once it did, it has his same high quality of writing.

I would have liked to have seen stronger character development early in the story as have been in other of his books. I think it would have led to a greater "buy in" on my part of the story.
Diane E Damour
Aug 22, 2016 Diane E Damour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!!!

I really enjoyed this book. Have read others from this author, but liked this one the best. A complicated plot, cleverly executed. I surprised myself in being able to figure out the main perp. The sentimental touches throughout the book took the edge off the seriousness of the crime. Well done!
Abbie
Jul 08, 2016 Abbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bet you won't guess who did it

This book had so many plot twists I had no idea who did it until the very end. The writing is stellar, the language easy to read, and fast paced. Wonderful combination of police procedural and mystery rolled into one.
cynthia morgan
Oct 20, 2016 cynthia morgan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Interesting from the beginning. Couldn't wait to get to the end. Thought I had idenity of number two figured out but was surprised at the end. Great suspense, great read. Looking forward to the next book.
Janice Kujawa
Aug 03, 2016 Janice Kujawa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Loved This Book

I will recommend to all my book loving friends. Great plot. Great characters. Non stop action. Gino was amazing and I loved Ribs. Lonny and Lucia touched !y heart. Looking forward to more great books from Giacomo Giammatteo
Carol J Pennington-York
Kidnapped

This was a very good story; strangely warped kidnapping case for the police to solve. Would they get to the victim in time? Read and find out. Great editing.
Barbara Iuliucci breining
Couldn't put it down

So glad I read this one. It was a page Turner and I read it in one day, unable to put it down for more than a few minutes. Great plot!
barbara pint
Jul 06, 2016 barbara pint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading

Enjoyed reading this book! It had many twists and held my interest. Thanks to the author for a great job! Enjoyed the story line.
C Dove
Jun 01, 2014 C Dove rated it really liked it
Good read if you are into the real world where "the good guys" don't always win. Gritty is a good word to describe the authors style ! Very believe able!
Barbara A Neal
Aug 09, 2016 Barbara A Neal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

So many twists and turns!!! Had a hunch but wasn't sure. Loved it! Maybe a little lengthy at times but still good.
Richard Russell
Jul 23, 2016 Richard Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lot's of twists and turns!!

A great cop story and with all the lose ends, it's amazing how I it all comes together. I am now a fan of this author.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I live in Texas now, but I grew up in Cleland Heights, a mixed ethnic neighborhood in Wilmington, Delaware that sat on the fringes of the Italian, Irish and Polish neighborhoods. The main characters of Murder Takes Time grew up in Cleland Heights too, and many of the scenes in the book were taken from real-life experiences.

Somehow I survived the transition to adulthood, but when my kids were young
More about Giacomo Giammatteo...