Start by marking “When I Break (When I Break, #1)” as Want to Read:
When I Break (When I Break, #1)

When I Break

(When I Break #1)

What happens when a sex addict falls for a virgin?

Published February 24th 2014 by Kendall Ryan Books (first published February 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about When I Break, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Break

Christy
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
 photo 8700be4c-7c31-430a-ab42-917515ed2efa_zps7a13d550.jpg

When I see this at the begining of a book- it makes me excited to read...
Contains a stubborn alpha male with addiction issues and loads of sexual tension between two damaged characters. Read at your own risk. Due to mature content, it is recommended for ages 17+.

When I Break is the story of Knox and McKenna. Two people who meet under interesting circumstances.

First there is McKenna. McKenna is a twenty one year old virgin. She is fresh out of college and leading a sex addicts group as
Sana
I originally gave this book 4 stars because in the moment I was just crazy impressed with this book. It's probably because this is like the first NA Contemporary I didn't dnf 10 pages into the book. However, I still really enjoyed this, but I did get annoyed at the characters at some points in the story and there were parts where I was bored and waiting for things to get better. However, it isn't a bad book hence the 3.5 stars!

Knox is a sex addict and is also the guardian to three younger brothe
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

This was a pretty typical NA, M/F story... and by that I mean it was terrible.

I'm all for forbidden romances, but this one was ridiculous. Knox is a bad boy with a sex addiction, and McKenna is his virgin sex addiction counselor. First of all, in what kind of world would that happen? But don't think about it too much because logic is not this story's friend.

In the first scene, Knox is pretty bad ass... and by that I mean hot tempered and crazy. He is punching holes in his wall, ordering a girl
Beverly
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I started this audiobook, after reading the Filthy Beautiful series by Kendall Ryan. I love that series and I decided to catch up on her other books. So when I started I didn’t really know what this one was about, and I definitely didn’t know it was a cliffhanger. Luckily all the books are out so I don’t have to wait.

I really enjoyed our heroine, McKenna. She is such a strong character, but also so broken. On the outside she seems perfect. She does her volunteer work and is completely selfless,
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo FreeHotPixbysb_zps02f167cd.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (2/27/2015)

BLURB:
What happens when a sex addict falls for a virgin?

Knox Bauer's life has unraveled to the point of no return. Fighting to fill the emptiness inside himself, he seeks solace in unfamiliar beds with unfamiliar women. As guardian to his three younger brothers, he can't seem to do a thing right. But this can't go on...they look up to him in every way and all he’s done lately is prove how messed up he really is. Needing a change, he attends a local Sex Addict
TORI
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

This was a very interesting story about two broken people battling addictions.

Knox is a sex addict. He lost his mother to cancer then his father ran out, leaving him to raise his three brothers alone. At 23 years old his life is nothing like he thought it would be. He's got more responsibility than he'd ever want. To deal with it he indulges in meaningless hookups to numb himself to the pain and loneliness. When his therapist recommends an anonymous sex addict support group, he does n
Stephanie

Overall Rating :: 2.5 stars
Series :: Book 1 of ?
Hero/Heroine :: Knox/McKenna
POV :: Alternating
Cliffhanger :: Apparently so, yes.
HEA :: (view spoiler)

I have a few issues with this book.

1. The cliffhanger. What the hell was that? I truly think there should be some sort of disclaimer when a book ends with a cliffhanger. Aside from the fact that it's frustrating as a reader, but it takes me out of the story completely. If I have to wait months between books, I
Ellie
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: angst
I was debating with myself how to rate this book and if to rate it at all for some time now and finally decided to give it a go.

It's a fairly typical NA story - a sex addict falls for his counselor who happens to be a 22-year old virgin. Hmm, it's not the perfect setting but sparks fly and there is a constant sexual tension between the characters, something which I liked in this story. Knox and McKenna even develop some sort of friendship.

He has some issues (rather serious and realistic), she
Candace
Hmmm...Where to start with this one!?! I have mixed feelings about this story. It was very entertaining and compelling. The story kept me engaged start to finish. Yet, I spent a fair amount of time wanting to strangle McKenna.

I know, everyone's thinking "Poor McKenna," blah, blah, blah. Let's not forget that she was his group counselor for a sex addicts support group! Aside from the fact that she must have slept through Ethics 101, she has the gall to play the victim when Knox doesn't give up h
Wanderlust
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Stella
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ummm... not sure what happened here. Sounded to have much potential with a promising story line but all it did was fall flat for me and I almost DNF'd. I believe in second chances and decided to give it another try but I found myself losing my concentration and struggling to finish this book.

Knox and McKenna apparently had a spark but I did NOT feel that connection at all. He is a sex addict and McKenna is his sex counselor.. and a virgin?! Errrr... I don't get it. She falls for him and apparent
Fiza
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult, romance
"I don’t know what you’ve done to me. You’ve gotten inside my head, fucked with who I am.”

Due to a DUI Knox Bauer has a choice to make, jail time or therapy. He wisely chooses therapy. His therapist on her time redirects him to a group for sex addicts. Per his own definition he doesn't need it, he's not a sex addict, he's an opportunist. Who is he to turn down a willing woman. What a gentleman…..

The group he is assigned to happens to be lead by newbie counselor McKenna. This will be the first
ilknur a.k.a. iko ◬
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-covers
Do you remember what I said, a couple hours ago:

"What happens when a sex addict falls for a virgin?"

you better be perfect. like "dying to touch her but not just her body but her soul etc," or like "he is all giver and possessive but at the same time afraid to take and mark". you better.

IT WAS PERFECT.

Not bc of my expectations come true or I read bunch of disaster books before this.

Did you realize, wat I expect is very, very, very cliché. Very. So am I judging unjust, hell no.
It's all about pen,
Apr 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Firstly, take note that this is book 1 of 3 as the Amazon product description tells you book 2 is now available but not that this is a three part story (why oh why do authors keep dragging their stories out is beyond me).

I have read a few of this authors books. The earlier ones I enjoyed but the last few have been disappointing so when I saw this was free I thought I would give it a go. All I can say is I'm glad I didn't pay for it. One of the books I liked by this author is called Hard to Love.
Brandie
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-2014
ARC kindly provided by the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review.

I have a few favorite authors that I know will never disappoint me. When I'm in a book slump - I just have to pick up one of their books and I'll devour it's goodness in one sitting. Kendall Ryan is one of those authors and I LOVE her writing.

What I haven't been loving lately are cliffhangers. BUT, I knew this one was going to have a not-so-happy ending before I even began and that got me through. Also knowing I won't h
Jess the Romanceaholic
Ug. Ever since the 50 Shades trilogy authors seem to think its perfectly okay to stop a story smack in the middle and call it a cliffhanger. No me gusta.

I can handle the hero sleeping around because hello he's a sex addict and the blurb gives us fair warning. I can handle the hot therapist who leads his group sessions being the cliche virgin who crosses professional boundaries. I can handle (and even encourage) the resulting angst.

What I can't handle though, is happily reading along and there'
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description...
It had to end friggin' there didn't it! But I can forgive 'cos April's not that far off and I thought this book was ...
description...
OMG! These 2 together, and Knox is just - wow. Am kinda nervous about what's to come, but still knock-my-socks-off-excited to find out.

Love, Holly Xx
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beta-read
oh, Knox! I want to smack you round the head and climb you like a tree.

full review to come.
Robin B
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
2.5 stars- at best.

***Minor Spoilers Ahead***

What can I say? This certainly does not feel like what I've come to expect from Kendall in terms of quality of writing. I found myself asking "WTF?" over and over again during this and trying to mold what I know Kendall is capable of with what I was reading. This was choppy, full of holes, not well researched (if at all- to be honest) and felt like it was written by a first time author.

I hand wrote notes while reading (not uncommon for me!) and I'm
Michelle
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 01-signed
Knox Bauer’s life is complicated. When he loses his mother and his father disappears, he steps up to raise his younger brothers. But he needs something to help chase away the demons. Sex. A chance to bury the past and to get lost in between the sheets and just let go of it all. The only problem is that when he is forced to enter therapy due to a DUI his shrink thinks he’d be better off in a sex addiction group. For Knox, he doesn’t view his need to stick it in countless women as an addiction, bu ...more
Saunders
This book made me mad - I don’t know where Kendall Ryan is taking this story and maybe I should wait until I read the other two books before I make a judgement call BUT……………here is what we get.

The book description - issues a warning and that it is intended for mature reading audience because it contains a stubborn alpha male with addiction issues and loads of sexual tension between two damaged characters - she then goes onto advise - read it at your own risk.

The story is meant to be about two da
**ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review**

~~ 5 "I Don't Know How I Feel" Stars ~~

" I couldn't stand to be alone with my grief, so I threw myself into work. Knox threw himself into the arms of women. We forced our pain away by chasing after distractions."……McKenna

I don't even know how to express my feelings about this book. I loved it, as I do any Kendall Ryan book, but I also have mixed feelings about it. One of the reasons I loved it was because I love Kendall's writing style.
Elisabeth Cole
Mar 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've enjoyed some books by Ms. Ryan, others I haven't liked at all. Unfortunately this book falls into the latter category.
McKenna is a 21 year-old virgin who is the counselor for a group of sex addicts. Her parents were hit and killed by a drunk driver when she was in high school and she blames herself. To make amends, she spends all her waking time volunteering for places like homeless shelters, soup kitchens etc trying to keep herself from thinking about what an awful person she is. (No, she
CeCe
3.5 not sure how I feel yet stars.

I liked this one even though I am not sure about Knox. Sometimes I feel like the heroine will be a doormat. She is the one, in my opinion, trying way too hard. I am not sure about the ending. (view spoiler)
Sofie Hartley
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I... just... and... she... did...

Jesus.

Knox... you beautiful, misguided, sexy, imperfect man! I fell in love with his mind before I fell in love with his mouth, both dirty and down right delicious. He is all things alpha and dominant, but he is also a sex addict, and a yummy one at that!

When I Break has everything you could possibly want in a Kendall Ryan novel; the hot as hell bad boy with his share of problems, the virgin sex addiction counselor, and a whole heap of sexual tension.

Kendall Ryan
Harriet ~ bookworm
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-great, dnf
2 did not finish stars..

Unfortunately I gave up on this at 68% I could of easily finished but new the whole cliffhanger at the end would of just made me mad!

I didn't connect with either hero or heroine! Although this was an easy read it at times just annoyed me, I feel like certain parts of the storyline I have read over and over again and I guess I'm just bored of it.

I couldn't read the next two books with these characters I would of just felt it was all too dragged out although I did like t
Heidi
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-e-book
Sweet, but sexy Freebie!
~ Cariad ~
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

I really enjoyed it. I do love a complicated mess getting unravelled by two people that are falling in love!
There's plenty going on under the surface of this book - all isn't as clear cut as it first seems!

Straight into book 2 for me.
Guilty Pleasures: BOTM (May~Alphas): When I Break by Kendall Ryan 13 14 May 25, 2014 10:49AM
  • Enraptured (Demi Brother's #1)
  • In A Heartbeat (Shameful Regret, #1)
  • The Perfect Distraction (Perfect, #1)
  • Epic (Fierce, #3)
  • Forever & Always (The Ever Trilogy, #1)
  • Pieces of Perfect (Pieces, #1)
  • Bound (Fire on Ice, #1)
  • To Win Her Trust
  • Semblance (The Midnight Society, #1)
  • Where I End and You Begin
  • Fool for You (For You, #1)
  • Getting Dirty (Dirty, #1)
  • Freeing Alex (Alexandra Drake, #1)
  • In the Lyrics
  • Be All (All, #1)
  • Just Fall (The Fall, #1)
  • Push (Push, #1)
  • Blind Love (Sulfur Heights, #3)
A New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author of more than two dozen titles, Kendall Ryan has sold over 2 million books and her books have been translated into several languages in countries around the world. Her books have also appeared on the New York Times and USA Today bestseller lists more than three dozen times. Ryan has been featured in such publications as USA Tod ...more

When I Break (3 books)
  • When I Surrender (When I Break, #2)
  • When We Fall (When I Break, #3)
“Pain exploded in my hand and I fell back onto the scuffed wooden floor. I stared down at the blood dripping from my shredded knuckles, and it took me a moment to place the shrill noise coming from behind me. “Knox!” a girl screamed. She knew my name, but I couldn’t remember hers. The girl’s voice wasn’t familiar. Probably because we hadn’t done much talking when I brought her home last night. I wondered if the screams and moans she let out during sex would be more familiar to me. Probably not; I was pretty wasted when we’d gotten here.” 0 likes
“A sexual addiction counselor and technically still a virgin.” 0 likes