Start by marking “Inhuman, Volume 1: Genesis” as Want to Read:
Inhuman, Volume 1: Genesis

Inhuman, Volume 1: Genesis

(Inhuman (Collected Editions) #1)

Marvel's Newest Heroes Are Born!
When Terrigen Mist spread across the world, it triggered the latent genes of regular people and transformed them into Inhumans with amazing powers. But not everyone thinks this is a good thing. As the mysterious Lash takes an unwanted interest in the new Inhumans and the newly transformed Flint sees his world fall apart, Queen Medusa finds
Published December 9th 2014 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Inhuman, Volume 1, please sign up.
SmokingMirror If you have to ask, I'd say no.…moreIf you have to ask, I'd say no. (less)

Start your review of Inhuman, Volume 1: Genesis
Jeff
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix, buddy-reads
This is a buddy read with the Queen of Comics

The Inhumans have been players on the outskirts of the Marvel universe, since back in the Paleolithic Age, when Stan Lee was still writing comics. Now days, the Inhumans are substitute mutants in Marvel’s film and TV universe and consequently, they’re getting a higher profile in the comics.

The story so far (and it took two mega-crossover events to get here – Infinity and Inhumanity): Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans, is pressured by Thanos to give up
Anne
Buddy read with The Jeff!

So Black Bolt released the Terrigen Mist on Earth (for some unknown reason), and now NuHumans (<--catchy name for New Inhumans) are popping up all over the place.
Attilan (I have no idea what happened) fell out of the sky, and is now sitting in New York's harbor.
And there's an Inhuman named Lash, who's part of some tribe of zealots running around killing off unworthy NuHumans.
He seemed really important at first, but then his story just kinda petered out.

So. It's up to
Terence
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Black Bolt while battling Thanos set off a terrigen bomb. When the bomb went off a terrigen mist cloud spread across the world effecting any person with the Inhuman gene it comes in contact with. Attilan has fallen, Black Bolt is assumed dead, and Medusa is picking up the pieces while ruling the Inhumans.

So I'm on an Inhuman mission to see where Marvel takes them now that they've been chosen as the MCU's alternative to mutants (since they sold off the rights to use mutants in TV and movies and
Sam Quixote
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
In last year’s Infinity, Black Bolt detonated the Terrigen Bomb at the heart of the floating Inhuman capital city of Attilan, a last ditch move by the desperate king against Thanos. The fallout of the bomb was a massive cloud – the Terrigen Mist – floating across the world, transforming anyone with dormant genes from human to Inhuman. And that number turned out to be surprisingly high.

But the Inhumans are divided: Attilan, now fallen, is now without a king as Black Bolt has disappeared. In his
Sesana
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
So here is what Infinity has brought about, at least as far as the Inhumans are concerned. And it's weirdly derivative. Atillan is now an island adjacent to NYC, kind of like how Asgard was floating over Oklahoma. So there's tensions between NYC and Atillan, and by extension the city and the Avengers. Again, like Asgard in Oklahoma. And then there's the search for new Inhumans, which is an awful lot like the X-Men's periodic "find new mutants" thing. Which, considering that Inhumans and mutants ...more
Gavin
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think I'd peg this at 3.5 Stars to be accurate, but giving it 3 on here felt a bit like cheating Charles Soule out of the credit he deserves.

Having JUST read Inhumanity, this picks up right afterwards, in the midst of Medusa trying to pick up the shattered pieces of Attilan and the Inhuman community on Earth. This is done well, as it introduces us to the various players in the Inhuman, New Inhuman (Nuhuman) and who wants power and who trusts and hates who.

We meet Lash, who represents another
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)

So...Infinity spoilers galore in this volume. As well as this review, I suppose. So that's my warning.

Be warned.

In, Infinity, Black Bolt blows the hell outta the Inhumans city (Attilan), and in doing so he released all of their Terrigen Mist and it ends up spreading across the whole world.

this new series basically picks up right after that. There's a little two issue HC you can get - Inhumanity which will close the gap a bit more cleverly...but whatev.

All in all, I liked this book. It's not an
Oliver Flores
Mar 12, 2015 rated it liked it
As depicted in “Inhuman, Vol 1: Genesis”, the race of highly evolved humans known as the Inhumans are not quite mutants, but not quite straight-up superheroes either. They're more like a fusion between the two types of super-beings. Genetically they have a gene that makes them special, like mutants. Yet the process of transformation is triggered through an external agent, in this case by a substance called Terrigen Crystals, as opposed to say, a radioactive spider. As such, Inhumans are ...more
Mike
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
(my thoughts before I started reading) Soule, you better not let me down. This is on you to do lore of Letter 44, and less of She-Hulk in a courtroom reading legal briefs and quoting procedural minutia.

(While reading) This feels...formulaic. Call To Adventure for new Inhumans, telling it through the eyes of outsiders and children, and making the plot hinge on whether the children can save the adults (plot to every Disney movie ever made).

[This review is for both vol 1 & vol 2, since they're
Alex Sarll
For legal reasons, Marvel have been making a determined effort to sideline mutants (because the X-Men's film rights are elsewhere) in favour of Inhumans (because until Marvel Studios made stars of Groot and Ant-Man, who the Hell would have bought the film rights to such also-rans as the Inhumans?). And not for the first time, a project which has clearly seen much managerial meddling ends up written by Charles Soule. He's no mere hack - his passion projects like She-Hulk and Letter 44 are well ...more
Sasha
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't have much to say in terms of the plot since the story has only just began. However, I found it interesting and relatively easy to follow considering it's a graphic novel. There's a lot going on and so many characters.

That being said, we need to talk about how fucking badass Medusa is.

Words cannot describe how excited I am about her. She's a redhead, she's got badass hair, she's Queen and doesn't take shit from no one, she's got morals but is willing to do what she has to, and she doesn't
Cody
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ya know, I'm such a huge X-Men fanboy that I forgot how much I really liked the Inhumans. I got all militant when mutants became disowned by Marvel. This is true. So much so that I scorned this whole wave of Inhuman mania. Truth be told, I'm waaaay into the new direction Marvel is taking them. I know I'm late to the party, but I look forward to digging into future installments. This collection makes me smile.
Brian Poole
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Inhuman is one of Marvel’s highest priorities at the moment.

Marvel is grooming The Inhumans for a “moment.” The characters have been around since the ‘60s and have appeared fairly consistently throughout the years. The focus has usually been on the members of the Inhuman royal family, who often operated like an odd super team. Sisters Medusa and Crystal both have served as members of Marvel hero teams, primarily the Fantastic Four and Avengers.

With Marvel keeping the multi-media angles of its
David
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Might be the best new Marvel series of 2014.

After the very disappointing INHUMANITY HC, this new series more than makes up for the previous book.

Seems that Marvel wants to make the Inhumans into a set of characters to rival the X-men. It is because the X-Cinematic Universe is out of Marvel's hand? I've heard that idea expressed. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Events of INHUMANITY do seem to suggest that.

A potential pitfall is making the Inhumas too X-men like.
Andrew
i'm on the fence on this one. the set up was interesting and the art was solid, but nothing here felt new, or improved or particularly exciting. and that's what i go to comics for - excitement and fun. draggy would be the word to describe this. a lot of yap, and some mediocre fight scenes. and the thing is, there's SO much stuff out right now that is really good it makes it hard to return to things like Inhumans that just seem to lack any real verve. this series is a 'we'll see.'
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This would have been SUCH a helpful read just to understand Ms. Marvel and what was happening during several of the big events. In the first page alone, I learned more about MM's situation than I did in the whole second volume!

That said, while I probably wouldn't have picked them up without that motivation, but I'm really glad I did. This (and Captain Marvel) will be one of the first times I read a comic BEFORE a movie and I'm super psyched about that alone. The characters were awesome, and I'm
Andre
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-comics
The best thing about this is the artwork in the first half.

Considered that not a single main character here is under 16, or maybe 18 (hard to tell), you really have to wonder why it is written as if for preteens.
It started badly enough with the typical Marvel incompetence in terms of spelling (it is spelled "Björn" and not "Bjorn") as well as the usual signs of a forced plot, like when at the start those Norwegians have no idea what that big cloud will do and yet no one tried to barricade
Drown Hollum
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: superhero
I've really enjoyed Charles Soule's work, but Inhuman could have been cobbled together by any d-lister. There's nothing impressive or interesting going on here, as Marvel slaps together a cinema-friendly X-Men alternative. Teens with zero personality get new powers, and are squabbled over by Inhuman factions of differing philosophies. Plots are abandoned just as fast as they begin, and its neigh impossible to cultivate any interest in the nuhumans. We are introduced to far too many new ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
I respect the core ideals of this comic. Soule is creating a political drama that's quite unlike most of what you find in comics. It's great to have something a bit different, and he does it well. I also like the attention to Inhuman continuity.

I'm less thrilled with the creation of a new generation of Inhumans. Besides the obvious economic reasons for this ("No More Mutants", because that just gives Fox characters to use), it takes a while for the characters to grow on you. I found the comic
Andrew
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Andrew by: ToReadPhil
Shelves: comics, a
This story is dragged down by too much needless backstory and boring exposition. There are way too many plot threads running at one time. We are asked to care about a young, new Inhuman called Dante (Super-power name is Inferno, which characters describe as "hitting it on the nose"). It's hard to care for this new character as he doesn't do anything except whine and complain until the last couple chapters in the book.

The book ends just as it was starting to get interesting, in the middle of a
Mark
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5 stars

I thought this was pretty great since it was one of my first comics I have read, but i was really slow. Not a lot had happened so far and even though I will definitely continue, I really want it to start having some action and not just some beautiful artwork. Because OMG this artwork is brilliant, it looks so real and the abilities of these Inhumans translate so well with this style of art.
I have heard it gets better with every issue, so I will definitely finish this comic
Jordan
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. fans
Having heard so much about inhumans as a race through Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I was super excited to read this comic, especially as it included Lash, an inhuman beast of a villain. Genesis was such a great comic because it is centred around the whole race of inhumans and not just one hero. It is one of the only origin MARVEL comics which has the becoming the hero in addition to another major plot. It was able to give a larger story and leave a big cliff-hanger at the end which makes me really ...more
Anchorpete
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Inhumans, the class of characters that Marvel wants you to start liking as much as Mutants.

Will you? Probably not.

Two stars means "It was ok" on here, and that is pretty much what I can say for every aspect of this book- the characters, the plot, the dialogue. The only thing I would put above ok would be the artwork. I am a huge fan of Joe madureira, and if there isn't going to be a revival of Battle Chasers, I will follow his work on Inhumans, as Marvel puts as much effort into this title
Lionel
Is that x-men 2.0 ?? For some reasons, they seem more tolerated than the mutants... Why ? no idea.

Anyway, this book is just there to introduce new characters and we just know something bad is coming. A little bit too light for me
Sonic
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This is in my opinion a perfect example of good writing succeeding in spite of what I consider "ok" or "just serviceable" artwork.
Gökberk Kaya
Well,i dont recommend this if you are new to marvel universe or Inhumans and its connected to a event(i think) but its interesting
Peter
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read, went by fast. I loved the characters a lot.
Omar Chilla
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
7.5 solid. It's a solid book not too good. Has few good momments but really isnt the best thing to read.
Jordan Lahn
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finally finished this first volume. Not bad. Interesting characters. Marvel is clearly trying to build Inhumans into their new big property, and it isn't a bad start...
Villain E
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superheroes, comics
That's more like it. After the half-assedness that was infinity and the quarter-assedness (or is it three-quarter-assedness? Whatever's worse) that was Inhumanity, it was nice to see someone put in some effort when it comes to the Inhumans.

After spending some time in shock, Medusa decides it's time to pick herself up and get to work. She reestablishes Attilan as a sovereign kingdom, despite it being in the Hudson Bay, and invites all new Inhumans to stay there. Meanwhile a member of one of the
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Royals Vol. 1: Beyond Inhuman
  • Extraordinary X-Men, Volume 4: IvX
  • Civil War II
  • X-Men: Battle of the Atom

Inhuman (Collected Editions) (3 books)
  • Inhuman, Volume 2: Axis