Start by marking “The Witchdoctor's Bones” as Want to Read:
The Witchdoctor's Bones

The Witchdoctor's Bones

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In The Witchdoctor's Bones a group of tourists gather in Namibia. Some have come to holiday, others to murder. Canadian Kate ditches her two-timing boyfriend and heads to Africa on a whim, hoping for adventure, encountering the unexpected and proving an intrepid adversary to mayhem. The tour is led by Jono, a Zimbabwean historian and philosopher, and the travellers follow ...more
Published April 30th 2014 by Inanna Publications & Education (first published April 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Witchdoctor's Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witchdoctor's Bones

Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Well my first book by this author started out with a bang! I really enjoyed this book!
This story was a great mix of - touring South Africa, murder mysteries and mayhem, and a total zany cast of characters. I have to be honest, this book kept me guessing all the way through. Everytime I thought I had it all figured out, I was wrong. Well I was right on a few things, but they were only the things the author wanted you to know.

This book starts out good and just keeps going all the way to t
Harvee
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I got from the book: I learned about the Bushmen tribe, about some of their folk beliefs and mythologies. I found out more about local witchcraft and the local beliefs in the power of the supernatural.

I saw vicariously a part of South Africa and some of the tourist sights and places to see wild animals in Namibia, and also learned about the dangers of the land - poisonous plants being one of them. I liked that the novel included a map of the places on the tour.This was a tense but interesti
Carole Giangrande
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lisa de Nikolits knocks it out of the park with a fast-paced thriller: a busload of characters on a tour of South Africa/Namibia meet mayhem, witchcraft, sexual passion and more than a dose of insanity. Telling the story from an omniscient point of view signals to us that the author wants us to pay attention to the group dynamic -- and the story's unique and spectacular setting -- as much as to the psyches of the characters. Some individuals register strongly, others make less of an impression, ...more
Diane Coto
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
In beautiful Cape Town, South Africa, 16 strangers are waiting for their guide in a hotel room lobby. They will be taken on a 12-day camping bus tour beginning in Cape Town and ending at Fort Namutoni, Namibia. Jono, a Zimbabwean historian and philosopher, leads the tour. He relays South African history and folk lore to the group to fill the evenings. The land is primitive and wild, but that is nothing compared to the intentions and motives of some members of the group. Early in the novel, the a ...more
Anna
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly captivating tale, this book will take you across the world to the sandy lands of South Africa. With Canadian-born Kate as your eyes and ears you will embark on an enthralling bus journey, travelling far and wide across the continent with a cast of colourful characters. Like a multi-week mystery dinner on a tour bus, each person has secrets to hide and is motivated by their own strange ambitions. De Nikolits cunningly tosses the reader only snippets of clues, making every page a new ...more
Evadne
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Witch Doctor's Bones is absolutely gripping. Lisa de Nikolits excels in artfully alternating from playful tourist banter to plot twists that are masterfully unsettling and unpredictable. This book was quite different from an earlier de Nikolits novel, A Glittering Chaos, but in both I loved the subtle exploration of who we are when we are away from home, the ways in which vacations can change who we are and how we see ourselves and the capacity for travel to broaden our perspectives on the w ...more
Alexander Galant
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, sexy, exciting, mysterious, dangerous and twisted.
Those words can be used to describe not only the alluring locations depicted in Lisa de Nikolits’ thrilling novel The Witchdoctor’s Bones, but also some of the eclectic characters fatefully traveling together on a tour bus through South Africa and Namibia. A suspenseful page-turner that will bewitch you until the end.

Warning: You may get hungry reading this book. Some of the exotic dishes described in this novel sound so enticing you m
Egreene4
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Witchdoctor's Bones passed the bus test--I read it steadily on the trip from Toronto to Kingston and then stayed up past 1 reading it until I finished (and was a wreck the next day).
The sixteen people on the bus are carefully chosen and provide conflict and humour, welcome in a thriller.
Kate is a lovely heroine and does provide a moral compass for the novel, so that I finished it with vision cleared, not just on an adrenalin high.
Definitely worth the read!
Rob Brunet
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
In The Witchdoctor’s Bones, Lisa de Nikolits drives a busload of seemingly normal souls into the heart of Africa, revealing the baggage they've dragged along, piece by sweaty piece. Against a backdrop of Bushmen tales and geography she clearly loves, de Nikolits creates by turns a lusty dusty rompand excursions to the nastier regions of human desire. Passions both wandering and misplaced pull the story ever deeper down a bumpy road. Well worth the trip!
Joan O'callaghan
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Put together an international group of travelers, each with their own secrets, in a bus touring Africa and you have the makings of a very suspenseful tale! Lisa de Nikolits does a masterful job of drawing the reader in and not letting go until the last delicious word! Set against an exotic backdrop of Africa and Namibia, this story is a great read! I loved it!
Philana Memraj
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book by this author.
Lauren
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
To comply with the terms and conditions that I'm beginning to realize that people read more than i expected them to, I hereby disclose in this, my review, that I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads, etc, etc, etc. I'm quite thrilled that I won it, to be perfectly honest. It was a pretty darn good, though slightly odd book; definitely one of the better ones I've read recently.

My main issue with this was that there were WAY too many characters with important or at least stron
Victor Gentile
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lisa De Nikolits in her new book, “The Witchdoctor’s Bones” published by Inanna Publications gives us a journey like none other.

From the back cover: A group of tourists gather in Namibia. Some have come to holiday, others to murder. The travellers follow their tour guide Jono, a Zimbabwean historian and philosopher, from Cape Town into the Namib desert, learning ancient secrets of the Bushmen, the power of witchcraft and superstition, and even the origins of Nazi evil. A ragged bunch ranging fro
Rosemary McCracken
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Characters take centre-stage in Lisa de Nikolits’ psychological thriller, The Witchdoctor’s Bones. The sixteen travellers who set out on a bus tour through South Africa and Namibia are as varied a group as you’re ever likely to meet. And de Nikolits draws them vividly with an eye for detail and an ear for dialogue. These are characters so believable that they become friends—or intriguing enemies. Delightful reading!
Dorothy Mcintosh
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen travelers embark on a voyage into South Africa's hinterland. Although each has different motivations for the journey, and some of those are strange, the trip begins in a light hearted enough fashion. As the trip continues, the harsh yet beautiful landscape, racial prejudices, mystic beliefs and social group dynamics, spiral into darkness. A great read - not to be missed!
Bradford Dunlop
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read! Kept me riveted with its twists and turns! With unique and entertaining characters, this is one of Lisa de Nikolits' best yet! I loved the way the story wove the African folklore of the past into the fabric of modern everyday life.
Peggy
Very interesting setting - South Africa and Namibia. How many mysteries are set in Namibia? Somewhat of an Agatha Christie-style plot - a murder which only a certain number of people could be responsible for (in this case, members of a tour group, who have various flaws).
S. Noël
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This tale of a varied group of people on a tour through South Africa and Namibia contains entertaining characters and a strong storyline. I enjoyed it very much.
Fieldsofgold
May 13, 2014
Kasia
Mar 26, 2015
Lisa Nikolits
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lisa McCarthy
rated it did not like it
Jul 01, 2015
Apr 08, 2016
  • The Lazarus Effect
  • Paper Tigers
  • The Village Sang to the Sea:  A Memoir of Magic
  • Lamentation (Jay Porter, #1)
  • The Expendable Man
  • Second Verse
  • The Horns of the Buffalo (Simon Fonthill, #1)
  • The True Confessions of an Albino Terrorist
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • Goodbye Frying Pan Hello Fire
  • Irving vs Irving
  • The Purple Violet of Oshaantu
Lisa de Nikolits is the author seven novels;

7. No Fury Like That, a murder mystery with excellent reviews by Metroland Media and high profile international crime writers.

6. The Nearly Girl has just been released to rave reviews by magazines, literary journals and readers.

5. Between The Cracks She Fell was released in August of 2015 and received excellent reviews in magazines as well as literary
More about Lisa de Nikolits

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
  • Horrorstör
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
  • Since We Fell
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother